Funny and Interesting Proposition for Anesthesiology in the Future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BIGphysician

Show a little respect would you?
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently on a plane reading some posts and figured I'd chime in with my own, heres an idea:

MAC/GA during long flights, could jam pack the aircraft like a Japanese hotel and just put everyone under. Would be great for profits for us an the airline industry. Who actually would decline the the opportunity to blink their eyes and have the flight over? Thats definitely going to be the only way distance space travel would work anyways.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Ever see that movie Vanilla Sky? That wouldn't be a bad idea either, I think that would fall under Anesthesiology as well. Splice in right before your marriage went down the tubes and then splice out after the divorce is over with a lucid dream of your choice, for example. I'm sure this could be applied to a myriad of unpleasant life events. When are we going to invent this?

Members don't see this ad.

Inception-DiCaprio-Murphy-on-plane.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
And place Foleys in everyone? Or is part of being a steward performing in and out caths. Not to mention #2. Oh and things such as apnea, hypoxia, hypotension, hypercarbia, bradycardia, tachycardia etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would this actually eliminate the Jet Lag? If so, you are on to something.

How about a sleep lab to loose weight? After work, no eating... Just a propofol nap with an epi drip to rev your metabolism. About as safe as the air anesthesia idea

Reactions: 1 user
How about a sleep lab to loose weight? After work, no eating... Just a propofol nap with an epi drip to rev your metabolism. About as safe as the air anesthesia idea

I've seen guys in the sicu on that same diet drop some significant weight. During rounds I always secretly wanted to do that for myself. Seriously, you goto sleep, wake up 6 weeks later ready for summer, best shape of your life. You'd prob have to use something else besides propofol for that long of sediation though. Maybe precedex/midazolam.

not sure weight loss from myopathy is the way to go

Not sure it's such a big deal. I'd rather be skinny fat and look good in my clothes and have a chance with a chick with beer googles on than be obese with no chance. Basically the same mechanism of lap band, gastric bypass.

This is the next Hollywood diet, my friends.

all i can think of right now is "reverse-roofies"

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen guys in the sicu on that same diet drop some significant weight. During rounds I always secretly wanted to do that for myself. Seriously, you goto sleep, wake up 6 weeks later ready for summer, best shape of your life. You'd prob have to use something else besides propofol for that long of sediation though. Maybe precedex/midazolam.
I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to tweak the tube feeding formula to help preserve more lean muscle mass. A healthy individual isn't going to need the same caloric requirements as a multi-organ failure dude on various pressers battling off three different infections.

And propofol would actually be even more detrimental in that the lipid emulsion is adding more fatty calories ~700kcal/24 hours. Top that off with a couple hours of PT/day and you've got quite the combination.

And place Foleys in everyone? Or is part of being a steward performing in and out caths. Not to mention #2. Oh and things such as apnea, hypoxia, hypotension, hypercarbia, bradycardia, tachycardia etc.

Technicalities!

MAC/GA during long flights, could jam pack the aircraft like a Japanese hotel and just put everyone under. d

I actually thought about the same thing on my flight over to Australia this year. Clonazepam, Q4 benedryl, ear plugs, and eye mask does a hell of a job too.

In residency when I was flying cross country post-call for vacation, going to the bathroom and 50mg benadryl po on an empty stomach immediately prior to boarding the plane was enough to knock me out for 6h flights. Passed out immediately after take off and still drowsy after landing. Earplugs not even necessary.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to tweak the tube feeding formula to help preserve more lean muscle mass. A healthy individual isn't going to need the same caloric requirements as a multi-organ failure dude on various pressers battling off three different infections.

Haven't you seen those TV infomercials with the magic ab exerciser electrode things? Like a TENS unit except supposed to give you a ripped 6-pack while you watch TV and eat ice cream.

Maybe a full body suit of that kind of device ... 6 weeks of general anesthesia, transcutaneous muscle buzzing/exercise, a high protein diet, a shot of some anabolic steroid q-whatever. You could wake up ready for a bodybuilding contest.

In residency when I was flying cross country post-call for vacation, going to the bathroom and 50mg benadryl po on an empty stomach immediately prior to boarding the plane was enough to knock me out for 6h flights. Passed out immediately after take off and still drowsy after landing. Earplugs not even necessary.

I took an Ambien once as we took off from Turkey, woke up 1/2 way across the Atlantic with a really stiff neck and drool all over myself. Now I stick with alcohol.

Pgg I was thinking of the exact same thing regarding the electrode muscle stims haha.

Don't forget to hire a local tattoo artist to get you some sweet ink while asleep.

Don't forget to hire a local tattoo artist to get you some sweet ink while asleep.

I've been tossin' around the idea of a sedation tattoo/piercing/tattoo removal business with one of my partners.

That's brilliant. An all cash business - just plastic surgery with no surgical risk.
Alright then, make your way back to CA and let's do it. I'm thinking we just go around and pitch the idea to existing parlors and tack on an additional hourly fee. Few bottles of prop, an old school baxter pump, and a transport monitor is all you really need (of course some basic emergency gear too). Hell, we could even do blocks for extremity work.

Alright then, make your way back to CA and let's do it. I'm thinking we just go around and pitch the idea to existing parlors and tack on an additional hourly fee. Few bottles of prop, an old school baxter pump, and a transport monitor is all you really need (of course some basic emergency gear too). Hell, we could even do blocks for extremity work.
haha this is great, love the way you think :D

Haven't you seen those TV infomercials with the magic ab exerciser electrode things? Like a TENS unit except supposed to give you a ripped 6-pack while you watch TV and eat ice cream.

Maybe a full body suit of that kind of device ... 6 weeks of general anesthesia, transcutaneous muscle buzzing/exercise, a high protein diet, a shot of some anabolic steroid q-whatever. You could wake up ready for a bodybuilding contest.

I took an Ambien once as we took off from Turkey, woke up 1/2 way across the Atlantic with a really stiff neck and drool all over myself. Now I stick with alcohol.

The complete cocktail for a long flight right now is diphenhydramine, shot of whiskey, ambien, 1/4 sliced turkey breast 15 minutes after the meds