"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Them: I'm in pre-med...going to be a heart surgeon. I'm going to make millions.
guy: Cool man. Best of luck.
-------Time goes on and they take their first Gen Chem class -----
guy: Ya, so like I decided that medicine isn't right for me. I really am interested in business now.
Me: Cool man. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 18 users
Oh, man. I didn't think I'd ever experience any ignorance shocking enough that I'd feel compelled to contribute here, but unfortunately, I was wrong.

I was talking to someone today who mentioned that he wanted to be a neurologist, and I was excited to meet somebody with similar interests as myself. I asked him if he planned on going to medical school, because he'd never mentioned this interest before; he replied that medical school would be too hard and he doesn't need it. He said he plans to become a neurologist just by doing research. I asked him if he's doing any research now, and he said he's only finishing his first semester in school and will "eventually get an internship somewhere." When I told him I am studying neurobiology and working in a neurobiology lab, he asked what kind of neurobiology doctor I want to be, or something like, "What kind of neurobiology medicine do you want to do as a doctor?" I told him neurosurgery has always fascinated me. He said he would do really well in surgery if he wanted to, and I asked him why he would think that. He had been watching a brain tumor surgery while he ate lunch, he told me, and his entire family was disgusted, but he was just fine. I was going to sidle away at that point, but then he asked me, "Know what I really wanna do?" He wants to ''create the first artificial consciousness'' and claimed that all the people who study consciousness currently are ''looking at it the wrong way'' and that he has a few hypotheses about how consciousness really works. He didn't care to elaborate on any of his hypotheses. He was also very adamant that he had to double-major in "neurobiology and biological chemistry" to get where he wanted to go, as if I should be impressed or perhaps dumbfounded at the big words he was able to use and his course of study. I couldn't keep listening at that point without visibly cringing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Took a couple gap years.
Got my MS.
Beat the MCAT.
Got a pub, some poster presentations, and some A+ LoRs.
Blah blah blah. You don't want to hear the whole story.

Needless to say (because it is so obvious by some of my posts here), I think some of the "unstated requirements" for applying to med school are ridiculous and/or pointless because they benefit those of higher SES/with strong family ties/lucky enough to get into an ivy/with ancestors of certain racial descent/and other factors which are unrelated to how well the individual actually is suited to medical school.

Now go ahead and quote this post because it's a dumb thing a premed said. :thumbup:

I got a similar story, lemme just paraphrase.

Prof. "Welcome to Honors Chem 101, if you didn't take AP chem in undergrad you shouldn't be here. I know many of you were straight A students in high school and want to go into medicine, this for many students is the first B or lower they will get." Whole class room laughs it off.

I got an A and didn't think it was too bad, but the other ~90% of students who switched out of Honors Chem between 101 and 102 may disagree. (And until about my third semester of college I was NEVER a straight A student prior)

In a average year first semester Honors chem has 200 or more students, by second semester that number is usually closer to 20.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose everything has its gives and takes, pros and cons. I admit to being guilty of wanting to go OOS myself once, but I've heard everywhere from in and outside the forum that the quantity and quality of Texas schools are hard to beat, so I've gotten better at appreciating being a Texan.

That's what undergrad is for ;)

Reactions: 1 user
While volunteering yesterday, I encountered an older lady who was convinced that president Obama was solely to blame for her sickness and being in the hospital!
She kept repeating it over and over.
attachFull191466

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-22_16-8-23.png
    upload_2015-4-22_16-8-23.png
    95 bytes · Views: 178
random mom of undergrad student who attends a nearby college begins bashing my undergrad university for its "poor science programs"

I mention how "despite some weakness in the lab components, the science professors here are excellent teachers, I have actually been accepted to medical school and I felt this university has prepared me very well"

lady replies by pointing out that "its not really that difficult to get in to medical school; 40% acceptance is the average, and at some schools its as high as 90%"

1. oh, did a 10-second google search tell you that? check your stats
2. way to completely change the topic from discussing undergrad academics to insulting pre-med students

Too bad you already applied, you should have cited it as a pediatrics clinical experience.

While volunteering yesterday, I encountered an older lady who was convinced that president Obama was solely to blame for her sickness and being in the hospital!

It's called senility. You should try to get used to it.

Reactions: 3 users
"Getting a 35 isn't too hard, every I know scored at least that."....Well, I know who you know, and they're actually kinda smart.

Reactions: 6 users
"Getting a 35 isn't too hard, every I know scored at least that."....Well, I know who you know, and they're actually kinda smart.
Haha. I remember when I got a 35 some people said it must not be that hard then (to be fair though, I remember walking out of the test center convinced the highest I could get was a 30).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. I remember when I got a 35 some people said it must not be that hard then (to be fair though, I remember walking out of the test center convinced the highest I could get was a 30).

Yeah, there were a few times I tried joining study groups, but everytime I tried to help, they wouldn't listen, must've had to do something with maybe dozing off in class, plus half the time they would be trying to figure out who was screwing up the curve. I never knew what they were talking about, cause I didn't need the curve.

I overhead this in a coffee shop a couple of days ago.

PreMed A: I registered for my MCAT today, I am already getting a little nervous for it.
B: Why on earth would you be nervous?
A: Well, everything is becoming very real now. And you know, this test kind of determines if I can go into my dream career or not.
B: I don't know why everyone makes the MCAT seem like such a big deal, it's only one component of your application.
A: True, but it's an important component.
B: No it's not. For instance if you get a bad score you can just rack up enough hours and they will completely ignore your MCAT scores.
A: That's definitely not how it works, they never ignore your MCAT score.
B: I know someone who got a crap score, but still got in because he had lots of experience.
A: What's crap and where did they go?
B: Idk but they went to the best school in the Caribbeans.
A: ....

I was initially excited thinking that it was a very intelligent conversation. But 'B' took it pretty downhill and 'A' gave up. I seriously wanted to give her a pat on the shoulder for trying.

Reactions: 22 users
Bump please don't let this thread drift into the oblivion! Especially with finals around the corner, this is an amazing stress-reliever.

I consider myself pretty lucky that I go to a university where there are only about 10-15 pre-meds, so I don't actually hear from very many misinformed students. But earlier this semester I had a girl tell me that she's aiming for University of Michigan, and that she thinks as long as she gets about a 7 on each section of the MCAT she'll be a shoe-in because she's an in-state resident.
I just told her I hope it works out for her!

Sophomore year, when calling my mom to tell her I got my (goal) MCAT score:

"But you still haven't gotten into a medical school, even after writing that expensive exam and everything? You should ask them for a re-fund!"

Reactions: 8 users
Some premed girl told me that CC's GPA won't count towards applying medical school... smh

That's something MY mom, would have said!!!

Sophomore year, when calling my mom to tell her I got my (goal) MCAT score:

"But you still haven't gotten into a medical school, even after writing that expensive exam and everything? You should ask them for a re-fund!"

Reactions: 8 users
I'll add a little more to keep this thread going.
When I was a freshman, I attended two meetings of the university pre-med club, and never went back. I was the youngest in there; there were mostly juniors. These juniors didn't seem to be aware of the MCAT. They didn't know what it was. Even worse, the president of the club was an absolute joke. To start, she invited medical schools to come and visit us and present an admissions panel/Q & A session. She only invited medical schools from the Carribean. She told us all she had taken the MCAT and was applying to medical school soon, and said that research is not at all necessary on your application, nor is shadowing. She said she'd have 20-30 hours of shadowing on her application after she applied and that it was enough to be competitive. I told her that I'd heard 100-200 hours of shadowing was more common, and she just stared at me. There are only a handful of pre-meds at my university and our advising program is very, very weak. My pre-med advisor (one of only two pre-med advisors for the whole university) told me after my first semester of college that I could not make into medical school because I had a D and an F that first semester. That's a terrible thing to say to someone who's only finished their first semester of college; struggling during the first year of college is not an instant DQ for medical school. I'm not easily deterred, luckily. Even worse, the reason I failed those classes was because I had just left my abusive ex with our two month old son, and my court hearings were scheduled during one class, and I had no babysitter for the other class, and the advisor knew this. Personally, I would've offered a student in my circumstances support, suggested where to find resources, etc. The way that that advisor spoke to me was inappropriate, I think, and I hate to think how many perhaps less informed or less determined pre-med students he turned off the path, and how many potentially competitive applicants were screwed over by that pre-med club.
A tidbit from last night: I was explaining to my friend that doing clinical and non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, etc., are important as a pre-med, and that they're practically required to get into medical school. He was appalled and told me he'd never "give in to that system" and believes that those kinds of time- and effort-intensive requirements can be gotten around by "developing the right contacts." Cue face palm.

Last edited:
When I was a freshman, I attended two meetings of the university pre-med club, and never went back. I was the youngest in there; there were mostly juniors. These juniors didn't seem to be aware of the MCAT. They didn't know what it was. Even worse, the president of the club was an absolute joke. To start, she invited medical schools to come and visit us and present an admissions panel/Q & A session. She only invited medical schools from the Carribean. She told us all she had taken the MCAT and was applying to medical school soon, and said that research is not at all necessary on your application, nor is shadowing. She said she'd have 20-30 hours of shadowing on her application after she applied and that it was enough to be competitive. I told her that I'd heard 100-200 hours of shadowing was more common, and she just stared at me. There are only a handful of pre-meds at my university and our advising program is very, very weak. My pre-med advisor (one of only two pre-med advisors for the whole university) told me after my first semester of college that I could not make into medical school because I had a D and an F that first semester. That's a terrible thing to say to someone who's only finished their first semester of college; struggling during the first year of college is not an instant DQ for medical school. I'm not easily deterred, luckily. Even worse, the reason I failed those classes was because I had just left my abusive ex with our two month old son, and my court hearings were scheduled during one class, and I had no babysitter for the other class, and the advisor knew this. Personally, I would've offered a student in my circumstances support, suggested where to find resources, etc. The way that that advisor spoke to me was inappropriate, I think, and I hate to think how many perhaps less informed or less determined pre-med students he turned off the path, and how many potentially competitive applicants were screwed over by that pre-med club.
A tidbit from last night: I was explaining to my friend that doing clinical and non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, etc., are important as a pre-med, and that they're practically required to get into medical school. He was appalled and told me he'd never "give in to that system" and believes that those kinds of time- and effort-intensive requirements can be gotten around by "developing the right contacts." Cue face palm.
Lol this is exactly the type of person who shouldn't (and probably won't) become a doctor. In reality, these things are not THAT time intensive, especially if you enjoy them, and you probably should if you are going into medicine. Doesn't he realize there is an entire committee that makes the admission decisions? I suppose if he "develops contacts" with every single member of the admissions committee, then he can get in without any ECs...

I knew a girl that was president of a multiple myeloma awareness club.
I asked her what multiple myeloma was.
she said she didn't know.
something smells fishy here
obstacle-course-2.jpg

Reactions: 19 users
Lol this is exactly the type of person who shouldn't (and probably won't) become a doctor. In reality, these things are not THAT time intensive, especially if you enjoy them, and you probably should if you are going into medicine. Doesn't he realize there is an entire committee that makes the admission decisions? I suppose if he "develops contacts" with every single member of the admissions committee, then he can get in without any ECs...
You're right, sorry, I forgot to say that he's not premed or anything; he's a computer programmer. I was just trying to explain why I volunteer and do research and things, because he thought my schedule seemed way too busy. (It's really, really not).

This guy I know keeps complaining how he hates being stuck in Texas. He plans to head straight for Cali and never look back. Dude, you're gonna look back and wish you hadn't ditched the UTs for maaaaybe a crapshoot at the UCs.
LMAO I live in New York and I know someone from my school who thinks the SUNYs are too tough and wants to relocate to Cali and wing it for the UCs! XD

Ah. Geographic ignorance. It's probably as bad as degree ignorance like the following:

Me: So what are your future plans?
Premed: I'm thinking about MD/PhD
Me: Nice. So you have extensive research experience?
Premed: Not really. I'm just applying to MD/PhD because it's free medical school. And besides MD-only is insanely competitive because too many people are applying. MD/PhD should be a breeze.
Me: Good luck!

Anti-psychotics for that kid, stat!

@Ace Khalifa dismissed it as uncurable ignorance unfortunately. But who knows? Anti-psychotics may help after all.

Reactions: 2 users
"This is my third time taking this class so I think I know what I'm talking about by now."

No no no...

Reactions: 12 users
Some premed girl told me that CC's GPA won't count towards applying medical school... smh

I hear that all the time...

Last edited:
I have to wonder if the leader of that premed club was a gunner in disguise trying to lead people astray... or worse, to the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
"Yeah I’m not planning on working on my PS for more than 2 weeks. Gonna start after finals end, take a break for graduation/traveling, and finish up the last week of May before I start work. I spent forever on my college PS, but this right here won’t pay as many dividends."

that PS is gonna be 1/10 :laugh:

Reactions: 10 users
"Yeah I’m not planning on working on my PS for more than 2 weeks. Gonna start after finals end, take a break for graduation/traveling, and finish up the last week of May before I start work. I spent forever on my college PS, but this right here won’t pay as many dividends."

This is a funny quote? If it takes you more than 2 weeks to write a 1 page essay, you have a mental problem.

Reactions: 2 users
Some people have gone their entire lives getting their way. Being around to witness the first time they are really faced with an insurmountable barrier is priceless. It is like they cannot grasp that merely wanting a thing does not grant them access to it. Sadly, this rarely brings with it the insight that this is a common experience for most other people. Rather than feeling empathy with others who have been blocked by circumstance, they double down on their entitlement and get angry that they were told, "No." Like, don't you even know who they are?

Sorry, there is nothing remotely funny about this. It is just something I have seen a lot of in the past few years, and it seems to happen especially often among a certain subset of pre-meds.

That's why there was so much schadenfreude when Mitt Romney lost in 2012.

This is a funny quote? If it takes you more than 2 weeks to write a 1 page essay, you have a mental problem.

It took me a month and a half to write my personal statement (taking breaks of course).

I may be incorrect, but I generally like to assume that I do not have that many mental problems.

Kthanks.

Reactions: 25 users
If one wants a rather sh**ty PS, sure, go ahead and only use 2 weeks or less to write it. SDN wisdom states - truly excellent PS will help some, average "good" PS is neutral, truly bad PS will hurt you a lot.

Maybe 2 weeks for the first draft?
I uhh...may have written mine over the course of 3 days. Not something I would recommend, but I procrastinated like crazy and really wanted to submit my primary by June 15. Granted, I had been brainstorming for months and had a general sense of what I wanted to say before sitting down to write, but it was really just 3 days of somewhat frantic writing, editing, and getting feedback from friends. I'd say the end result was neither stellar nor bad... It worked out, of course, but yeah...not advisable.

I did my personal statement over a period of about a month (I think I went through like 6 different essays).

This is in contrast to my personal statement for college apps that I started at 5 am the day I submitted the common app.

Months of editing can't turn a bad story into a good PS; and a great story that's still a bit rough around the edges (under-edited) can still make a good PS.

Give yourself enough time. If you know what you want to say (like @cactus8910) then 2 weeks is probably plenty. But if you don't, and need your PS to take shape on paper as it's written (ouch! good luck with that), then you'll need more time.

Reactions: 5 users
I think most of the time I spent "working on" my PS was not spent actually writing it--it was more like brainstorming/monologuing in my head over the course of months LOL

I think most of the time I spent "working on" my PS was not spent actually writing it--it was more like brainstorming/monologuing in my head over the course of months LOL

Yup, Spent about 3-4 months brainstorming and then about 3 weeks of writing/mostly erasing my PS.
Finally handed it to a friend's mom who helped me flesh out my thoughts onto paper eloquently. Thank god that's behind us now!!

...Until Residency Applications :nailbiting:

I could have sworn this was the "On-Topic" edition

Reactions: 11 users
Same. I spent like two months just tossing ideas here and there, and then around two weeks crafting it.

This comic explains how we all feel after that disastrous ochem exam.

8xFZLl.jpg

EDIT:

Here's a follow up from an old thread i found on SDN. It summarizes the typical neuroticism in WAMC threads effectively.

6aRwg.png

But that's enough rage comics for this thread. :laugh: Credit to the creators of these comics :bow:

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 users
My beautiful thread closed after all this time.... Well it was a good run while it lasted....