"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My beautiful thread closed after all this time.... Well it was a good run while it lasted....

I agree. It's sad that untamed premeds have to ruin a good thread over selfish disputes, but truth be told i actually like your other thread better.

@everyone please don't bump the linked thread and ruin that as well ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I've got LORs....5 LORs from 5 Orthopaedic Surgeons

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is so dumb that it probably won't be interesting to read, but here's the conversation I had with this one girl about 3-4 days ago:

Me: What kind of doctor do you want to become?
Her: Cardiothoracic surgeon
Me: Wow! That sounds really cool.. and hard!
Her: Yeaaaahhh... I just got my AA in nursing from [lame local CC], which was pretty easy, so I thought I might as well continue and become a surgeon. I only have 2 more years until bachelors, and then med school is only 4 years. So I thought, why not?
Me: How do you know you like surgery? Do you shadow at [university teaching hospital]?
Her: Umm... I had anatomy, and I realized that I REAALLY like lungs and heart!!

I swear on my GPA that I did not make this up!

This is so dumb that it probably won't be interesting to read, but here's the conversation I had with this one girl about 3-4 days ago:

Me: What kind of doctor do you want to become?
Her: Cardiothoracic surgeon
Me: Wow! That sounds really cool.. and hard!
Her: Yeaaaahhh... I just got my AA in nursing from [lame local CC], which was pretty easy, so I thought I might as well continue and become a surgeon. I only have 2 more years until bachelors, and then med school is only 4 years. So I thought, why not?
Me: How do you know you like surgery? Do you shadow at [university teaching hospital]?

I swear on my GPA that I did not make this up!
Doesn't really sound that bad? Sounds like you're a bit of a prick though. Lame CC? Maybe she couldn't afford to go to Uni. right away? And can't people aspire to be something without having experienced it completely? Jeez mate, get off your high horse.

Reactions: 39 users
Doesn't really sound that bad? Sounds like you're a bit of a prick though. Lame CC? Maybe she couldn't afford to go to Uni. right away? And can't people aspire to be something without having experienced it completely? Jeez mate, get off your high horse.
agreed lol. The only thing funny I found from that was that the person thought (I'm assuming) after 4 years in med school, they'll become a surgeon. Boy, you should have said something (unless you didn't know either...hahaha).

Reactions: 1 users
That, at least, is a better reason than seeing it on Grey's Anatomy.

Reactions: 9 users
Someone give us a good story. I've been around a lot of cool pre meds lately so I ain't got nothing.

Reactions: 6 users
Not crazy funny, but I chuckled when I recalled this conversation from a week or two ago

Coworker: Yeah I'm planning to be an orthopedic PA
Me: Cool man, what made you think ortho?
Coworker: I'm trying to make a million dollars by the time I'm 30!
Me: Um, that seems pretty high compared to the PA salaries I've seen listed
Coworker: Nah man I'm gonna make 200k a year starting
Me: I'm pretty sure that's closer to an MD's starting salary in the field
Coworker: I'm pretty sure I'm right!
Me: Alrighty dude...

I reconnected with an old friend recently, via facebook messenger and she says she is going to school to be a geriatrician, and said she is filling all the paperwork out to start medical school in August. I have never seen anything about it on her facebook and asked if she applied through amcas and took her mcat, and she kind of brushed off the questions and never answered. I wondered if it was one of those schools where you go to undergrad, and automatically get a medical school interview if you have a certain GPA. And then a month ago she asked me to help her with Gen Chem. hmmmmm

Not crazy funny, but I chuckled when I recalled this conversation from a week or two ago

Coworker: Yeah I'm planning to be an orthopedic PA
Me: Cool man, what made you think ortho?
Coworker: I'm trying to make a million dollars by the time I'm 30!
Me: Um, that seems pretty high compared to the PA salaries I've seen listed
Coworker: Nah man I'm gonna make 200k a year starting
Me: I'm pretty sure that's closer to an MD's starting salary in the field
Coworker: I'm pretty sure I'm right!
Me: Alrighty dude...
Lol an ortho surgeon that accepts 200k is crazy. Median starting salary is 420k. I've heard of ortho PA's making >200k in the right private practice...but it ain't easy that's for sure.

See: https://www.aamc.org/download/399576/data/startingsalariesforphysicians.pdf

Reactions: 2 users
I'm doing some teaching for the MCAT right now, and a student in my class told me that his target score was 41.

This is only really bad because it means he's registered for the MCAT (he is, I double checked) yet still doesn't know that the scoring is all screwy now.

Reactions: 16 users
I'm doing some teaching for the MCAT right now, and a student in my class told me that his target score was 41.

This is only really bad because it means he's registered for the MCAT (he is, I double checked) yet still doesn't know that the scoring is all screwy now.
Just pat him on the head and say, "you get that 41, bud."

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)

WOW! Really?? Maybe I am on a high horse because I still think she's nuts. LOL! Sorry not sorry

agreed lol. The only thing funny I found from that was that the person thought (I'm assuming) after 4 years in med school, they'll become a surgeon. Boy, you should have said something (unless you didn't know either...hahaha).

Thanks, I learn something new every day!

Time to bump this thread in spirit of the upcoming application cycle.

8bfb8ac7cf0de1bc49b937967dc1ef8d.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
Not sure this counts as a "pre-med" encounter, but still an example of someone who was probably very, very misinformed.

One of my exes told me that he was pursuing a Psych BS with the goal of entering medical school and later becoming a psychiatrist. I asked him why he was interested in this field and he told me, "I really liked my AP Psych class in high school and I like messing with people's minds. Plus it's so much easier and you can skip all those hard science classes like Chemistry and what not."

Me: I thought you had to take Chem and Ochem as pre-reqs to get into most med schools
Him: Nope, not if you're just going into psychiatry. You just need a Psych BS.
Me: Okay . . . well, if you say so. (Let's just say, he wasn't exactly the type who gracefully accepted people disagreeing with him or proving him wrong).

I just couldn't believe he was afraid of taking science classes when psychiatry is HEAVILY involved in science work. Needless to say, he ended up flunking Bio I and II, and was in the middle of contemplating a different major last I heard from him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks, I learn something new every day!

I am sure there is a lack of information from both parties. On her part, she may have significantly underestimated the time it will take to achieve her goals. However, she was right that med school is only... 4 years without including residency, fellowship, and possibly research in between. Letting her know could have helped her get a better understanding.

On your part, there are many people that attend QCC("lame CC in NYC") for a variety of reasons and have used it as a platform to gain entrance into top schools with the end result of practicing medicine (almost any specialty you can think of). Now, I will admit that this percentage is quite small. Point is that there are many paths that can lead to one becoming a doctor.

I am sure there is a lack of information from both parties. On her part, she may have significantly underestimated the time it will take to achieve her goals. However, she was right that med school is only... 4 years without including residency, fellowship, and possibly research in between. Letting her know could have helped her get a better understanding.

On your part, there are many people that attend QCC("lame CC in NYC") for a variety of reasons and have used it as a platform to gain entrance into top schools with the end result of practicing medicine (almost any specialty you can think of). Now, I will admit that this percentage is quite small. Point is that there are many paths that can lead to one becoming a doctor.

What made you decide I was referring to QCC? :)

What made you decide I was referring to QCC? :)

I only chose that cc since I assumed you would know of it based on your location. I didn't think it was the one you were referring to, coincidence i guess. Aside from that, this CC has the reputation of being the school that students choose to go to when they are not yet ready for the local 4 year colleges. There are many other CCs but this is one of the rather infamous ones.

My premed advisor is really cool. I was in her office the other day and was shooting the breeze and she told me she had just had this encounter with a senior at our school.

Person : So I am applying to medical school this year and I have a couple questions.
Advisor: (thinks "where have you been? I'm the only premed advisor at this school") Ok go ahead
Person: Would you say that AMCAS is the best service to apply to multiple MD schools?
Advisor: (thinks "how the hell else would you apply to medical school?") Yeah that is probably the best way
Person: Ok would you mind writing me a LOR?
Advisor: Sure. . .

Reactions: 11 users
My premed advisor is really cool. I was in her office the other day and was shooting the breeze and she told me she had just had this encounter with a senior at our school.

Person : So I am applying to medical school this year and I have a couple questions.
Advisor: (thinks "where have you been? I'm the only premed advisor at this school") Ok go ahead
Person: Would you say that AMCAS is the best service to apply to multiple MD schools?
Advisor: (thinks "how the hell else would you apply to medical school?") Yeah that is probably the best way
Person: Ok would you mind writing me a LOR?
Advisor: Sure. . .
I nearly dropped my water laughing :laugh:

That's just as bad as when I tell people I served in the Marine Corps and they say that they thought about enlisting but never did.... What do I say to that? "Ummm cool dude"

This is off topic, but I'd like to chip in.

Similar experience I have here. When I tell people that I served in the army, they would say something along the line that they could never do what I did, then they said "I didn't know that they let females use guns in the military." My eyes were almost in the back of my head lol

Had to bump this thread to mention my gem of an acquaintance. Freshman, obviously. Just a few quotes

-I want to go to med school in the Caribbean because there's nice beaches there.

- I want to be a plastic surgeon but I think beauty surgery is unethical.

-If I practice in California do I have to treat immigrants?

And so many more even better ones that I can't post for fear of being recognized.

Last edited:
From a buddy who looked over my PS:

"Uhh, you need to use more big words."

Welp, probably not asking him for any more feedback.

Another:
"I'm going on a medical mission trip to [developing country] so I'll have something to write about in my PS"

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
These gems all came from the same kid over a 2 year acquaintance because we lived in the same apartment complex:

Me: Hey man you're applying to medical school?
"Ya but I'm only applying to MD/PhD programs"
Me: Oh nice, you like research?
"Na man, but when someone asks me what kind of doctor I am, I'm going to say BOTH."
o_O

<2 weeks later, as I begin MCAT prep>
Me: Hey man whens your MCAT date?
"Oh, you only signed up for one? I'm taking the January, February, March, April, and May tests then will just use the best one"
Me: Aren't you worried adcoms won't like that?
"No, they don't care. As long as I get a 40 I'm guaranteed admission"
:eyebrow:

<as we begin the application process>
Me: Hey, hows the app looking? I'm worried I don't have enough community service...
"Dude just do what I did!"
Me: Which is?
"My dad donated 10k to [insert medically related charity here]. I can say I did whatever I want for them and those guys will never say a peep if they get contacted"
:wow:

<picking schools, in the library>
"Bro do you have a school list yet?"
Me: Ya I've got a few...my state schools, some smaller private schools, the usual.
"I'm applying to 67 schools. Look, I made this excel software over the weekend that predicts your chances of acceptance! (pulls up the @WedgeDawg system on the computer) I spent hours inputing all this data and writing the code! I applied to every school it told me to."
Me: Thats great man, I think I've seen something like this before online...
:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::bullcrap:

Reactions: 15 users
Me: Hey, hows the app looking? I'm worried I don't have enough community service...
"My dad donated 10k to [insert medically related charity here]. I can say I did whatever I want for them and those guys will never say a peep if they get contacted"

I love rich entitled white kids. They so funny.

I wish my dad had 10k over the course of his entire life.

Reactions: 7 users
"I'm going on a medical mission trip to [developing country] so I'll have something to write about in my PS"

Every time a premed says this, a cute and fluffy kitten dies.

@SpinachDip, I like you because your MCAT guide is pretty awesome, but stop being a racist dingus here.
Are rich entitled black kids any better?

I think these threads are sometimes funnier when supposedly in-the-know SDNers make silly claims in response to 'less-informed premeds'
Shadowing 100-200 hours is the norm? Wath?

If any of you needed evidence that the delusional pre-meds referred to in this thread actually exist, I can't think of any better evidence than this post. No Hollywood writer could make this up!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-a-year-are-just-flat-out-delusional.1144131/

These gems all came from the same kid over a 2 year acquaintance because we lived in the same apartment complex:

Me: Hey man you're applying to medical school?
"Ya but I'm only applying to MD/PhD programs"
Me: Oh nice, you like research?
"Na man, but when someone asks me what kind of doctor I am, I'm going to say BOTH."
o_O

<2 weeks later, as I begin MCAT prep>
Me: Hey man whens your MCAT date?
"Oh, you only signed up for one? I'm taking the January, February, March, April, and May tests then will just use the best one"
Me: Aren't you worried adcoms won't like that?
"No, they don't care. As long as I get a 40 I'm guaranteed admission"
:eyebrow:

:wow:

<picking schools, in the library>
"Bro do you have a school list yet?"
Me: Ya I've got a few...my state schools, some smaller private schools, the usual.
"I'm applying to 67 schools. Look, I made this excel software over the weekend that predicts your chances of acceptance! (pulls up the @WedgeDawg system on the computer) I spent hours inputing all this data and writing the code! I applied to every school it told me to."
Me: Thats great man, I think I've seen something like this before online...
:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::bullcrap:

@Spinach Dip two things:

1) To make your blood boil I'll add his most recent interaction:
<after seeing schools list, which included puerto rican schools>
Me: Man, do you really think you'll get into (HYPSM etc.)? They're so competitive! And I'm pretty sure you need a strong connection to the URM community to be eligible at the Puerto Rican Schools...
"I registered as identifying as Hispanic! They can't tell me I'm not or else I'll sue them! Plus my name sounds latin (he's italian), so they'll just assume I'm telling the truth"
This was the straw that broke the camels back for me...we don't talk anymore.

2) I agree with @ChillDawg, The racism makes you sound like an a**. There can be wealthy, white, and a good people. Granted in this case I would say this is almost the definition of a "rich, entitled, white kid"

Before I joined SDN: someone asked me if I registered for the MCAT (it was August and I live in NYC)

"Not yet but I'll just take it in November or December"

:|

I'm sorry, I forgot I was on the internet for a second there.

"Don't you have to be a bio major to be premed?"

Reactions: 2 users
If history is anything to be learned from, we should probably stop the race discussion right about now.

Reactions: 12 users
This comic explains how we all feel after that disastrous ochem exam.

8xFZLl.jpg

But that's enough rage comics for this thread. :laugh: Credit to the creators of these comics :bow:

Takes me back to my Freshman year when I would freak out about having a 95.

Fast forward to senior year and my midterms went like this: "Can I do #1? Nope. Can I do #2? Do I know #3? Nope. Should've actually put effort into this class. Meh."

This would be followed by furious studying to get a 100 so that I could pull off an A in the class. Looking back, I have no idea where my freshman year work ethic disappeared.

Reactions: 4 users
My friend sent me a screenshot of this gem posted in her nutrition class chatroom...
15y8286.jpg
15y8286.jpg

Reactions: 20 users
My first contentious exchange about me being pre-med was with a (now ex) friend of mine, who had known me from high school, who's trying to get into a pharmacy program.

Her: Oh, you're taking Orgo? You'll be a good nurse.
Me: I've told you like four times, I'm not taking it to be a nurse.
Her: But you don't look like a doctor, you just look like a nurse. I'm going to be a pharmacist. I look the part.
Me: ???

That was in my freshman year, and I got a C by the skin on my ass cheeks, and for a while, I let myself look into other fields because having Orgo I be your introduction to college science is some cruel business.

In that year, I had bolstered my grades, and next year, she was going to take Orgo. She was too proud to admit she was struggling in the class, particularly to me after making such BS comments about "not looking like a doctor" and making some pretty rude comments overall about me becoming a physician.

So, she failed it not once, but twice, and passed with a C by the skin of her teeth on the third attempt.

She recently decided to grace me from her lofty rock and we had this lovely exchange:

Her: I'm going to get into pharmacy school- my grades are awesome.
Me: Wow, I'm happy for you! I'd like mine to be a little higher-
Her: Well, I have a 2.7! I bet you don't have that.
Me: Wait, is that PharmCAS, or did you get that number from our online transcript service?
Her: From online, duh!
Me: Well, your PharmCAS GPA will be different- they look at all attempts and use all of them. Our institution does grade replacement.
Her: YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS THAT I'M DOING SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU AND YOU'RE JUST LYING-

My mom always said that success is the best form of spite. And she's right- this baby-faced, stocky and broad, 5'9 more-Irish-than-potatoes woman happens to have ~3.3 overall and a 3.35 sGPA, and I'll take my nurse-looking ass all the way to medical school come hell or high water.

Reactions: 20 users
So we are all aware of the recent thread on publications

And this post addressed it succinctly:

It's hard enough for grad students and post-docs to get pubs!!

Since premeds do research, I feel this comic nicely explains how science actually works (hint: it's not dishwashing).

sciencerage.png

Reactions: 19 users
Incoming D1 dental student stopping by! I check on this thread from time to time and it never ceases to make me smile at the very least. In undergrad, a lot of my friends were on the pre-med track.

I start with one gem of a girl who is from Puerto Rico. Awfully easy on the eyes and pretty nice, but has no sense of planning or common sense at times. No stories super crazy though...

Setting: Developmental Bio lecture waiting for class to start.
Her: Yeah I'm getting ready to take my MCAT
Me: Oh cool! When are you scheduled to take it?
Her: I'm going to try and shoot for a few months from now
Me: You do know that you need much more notice in order to secure a test date, right?
Her: Nahh I'm giving them three months notice!

Fast forward one week and she can't get a scheduled date to our local testing center, or in our entire state, or in our entire country.

Her: So I'm going to Puerto Rico to take my exam. Its at the end of June.
Me: At least you found a place to take your exam with such short notice!
Her: Yeah! It will be like a vacation too!
Me: Ummm... MCAT vacation... cool... So erm, hows the prep going? You only have like a few months?
Her: I haven't really had the time to start studying. But once classes are over in mid May, I am going to study hard for 5 weeks.

Fast forward to end of May, she ends up just starting to study. Just heard from her and said that a lot of the MCAT was "common sense" and she thinks it went "really well."

**sigh**

So I consider myself to be a pretty well informed pre-med. I'm about to graduate and I often talk to some of the younger pre-meds through the organization I've been volunteering at for a couple of years now. The other day a junior and I were making small talk and got on the topic of residency and it went like this -

Them: What speciality do you want to go into eventually?
Me: Not entirely sure, I really find plastics and reconstructive interesting, but I'm shadowing in other fields to explore all options. I'm loving shadowing in emergency medicine right now. But I still got a long ways until I have to worry about residency.
Them: I thought that was optional?
Me: ... What was optional? Shadowing?
Them: No, residency.
Me: ... Umm, no. I think you're maybe thinking of dental school? Though, I believe most of them even do the optional one year of general dentistry residency. (I'm not pre-dental but I believe thats how it goes?) But if you want to specialize even in dentistry, theres residency. But residency after medical school is deff required.
Them: Oh. I thought it was like optional and only like a year or something.
Me: No, its typically 3-7 years, depending on what you go into.
Them: Damn thats a long time! Maybe I should look into dental school then.
:uhno::smack::eyebrow:

This person also hasn't signed up for the MCAT yet, they're waiting until senior year so they can have some time off after they graduate. Which is fine, but I am so surprised by how much pre-meds don't know these days. I mean I'm no guru, but I believe I'm well informed. And NO ONE that I have come across has ever heard of SDN as far as the pre-meds go.

Was talking to me little the other day, and this is purely because our poorly informed pre med advisor, and please note I'm graduated and took the old MCAT.
Her "I'm not sure, but I'm getting prep books for the MCAT next week. I think (pre med advisor) told us we were shooting for a 700"
Me "Wait what now?!"
Her "Yeah he had a whole big seminar I went to and he said a 700 is the new 32."
I set there for a minute, counting up sections in my head.
Me "I'm pretty sure it's like a 530 or 550 something max."
Her "I hate our school"

Just goes to show do your own research.

Reactions: 3 users
Yesterday I had this exchange

Me: Yeah I just got my MCAT score back on Tuesday
Uninformed: What is it out of?
Me: 528
Uninformed: What did you get?
Me: 506
Uninformed: OH MY GOSH YOU ARE A FREAKING GENIUS! I always knew you were brilliant. Great job!!!
Me: Uhhhh Thanks

I don't think she realized it wasn't like a typical test where 506/528 = 95% but I decided not to expend the effort explaining that

From a buddy who looked over my PS:

"Uhh, you need to use more big words."

Welp, probably not asking him for any more feedback.

Another:
This continues to be an extremely efficient way to garner a medical school acceptance. I'm not sure why, but adcoms (even if the ones here say they don't) eat this stuff up.
My first contentious exchange about me being pre-med was with a (now ex) friend of mine, who had known me from high school, who's trying to get into a pharmacy program.

Her: Oh, you're taking Orgo? You'll be a good nurse.
Me: I've told you like four times, I'm not taking it to be a nurse.
Her: But you don't look like a doctor, you just look like a nurse. I'm going to be a pharmacist. I look the part.
Me: ???

That was in my freshman year, and I got a C by the skin on my ass cheeks, and for a while, I let myself look into other fields because having Orgo I be your introduction to college science is some cruel business.

In that year, I had bolstered my grades, and next year, she was going to take Orgo. She was too proud to admit she was struggling in the class, particularly to me after making such BS comments about "not looking like a doctor" and making some pretty rude comments overall about me becoming a physician.

So, she failed it not once, but twice, and passed with a C by the skin of her teeth on the third attempt.

She recently decided to grace me from her lofty rock and we had this lovely exchange:

Her: I'm going to get into pharmacy school- my grades are awesome.
Me: Wow, I'm happy for you! I'd like mine to be a little higher-
Her: Well, I have a 2.7! I bet you don't have that.
Me: Wait, is that PharmCAS, or did you get that number from our online transcript service?
Her: From online, duh!
Me: Well, your PharmCAS GPA will be different- they look at all attempts and use all of them. Our institution does grade replacement.
Her: YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS THAT I'M DOING SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU AND YOU'RE JUST LYING-

My mom always said that success is the best form of spite. And she's right- this baby-faced, stocky and broad, 5'9 more-Irish-than-potatoes woman happens to have ~3.3 overall and a 3.35 sGPA, and I'll take my nurse-looking ass all the way to medical school come hell or high water.
I admire your tenacity but with a 3.2-3.4 GPA as a caucasian your odds of success aren't the best... 22.8% are accepted to a medical school. If you know your MCAT you have a better measure. The sexism that women and men apply to women entering the workforce is pretty depressing, but being a nurse is a great job too imo...

I keep trying to convince my non-medical friends to consider it (as well as PA). Great salary, relatively short career training + helping people. Wishing you all the best with your cycle!

This continues to be an extremely efficient way to garner a medical school acceptance. I'm not sure why, but adcoms (even if the ones here say they don't) eat this stuff up.

I admire your tenacity but with a 3.2-3.4 GPA as a caucasian your odds of success aren't the best... 22.8% are accepted to a medical school. If you know your MCAT you have a better measure. The sexism that women and men apply to women entering the workforce is pretty depressing, but being a nurse is a great job too imo...

I keep trying to convince my non-medical friends to consider it (as well as PA). Great salary, relatively short career training + helping people. Wishing you all the best with your cycle!
Why in the world would you try to talk your friends into a career they don't have an interest in? That's not very friend-like.

Why in the world would you try to talk your friends into a career they don't have an interest in? That's not very friend-like.
I could see how this could helpful for their friends actually. There's probably many people out there who have simply never thought of it because they never tried their hand at the science, but could very well make great physicians. No harm in at least suggesting it.

I could see how this could helpful for their friends actually. There's probably many people out there who have simply never thought of it because they never tried their hand at the science, but could very well make great physicians. No harm in at least suggesting it.
No, they're suggesting the opposite. They're advising friends who they don't think can cut it in med admissions to consider PA and nursing careers. Less of a "hey, consider this!" and more of a "yeah, you aren't gonna make it...you should consider a backup career which by the way is awesome I swear!"