"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haha maybe :), but what job is that exactly?

Yea maybe I don't :rofl:. But you know if you think they are all encompassing, maybe you should not be on sdn but rather the PA forum. After all, can you educate me where the PA and doctor are different? Whatever I just stated is true. There is even many threads talking about how DNP and PAs are lining up by numbers performing what a doctor does. Maybe you should check it out.

anyways, this is a funny quotes thread, maybe joke is on me and we can all have a laugh
Pa's are vital to the structure of our health care system. There isn't enough doctors to go around. They are also educated very thoroughly. To think otherwise is being ignorant to those facts.

A nurse practitioner told me a PA saved her life. He noticed an irregularity in her skin on one of her feet. Turned out to be melanoma that they caught early. Don't be so quick to dismiss other health professionals.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Me: I got to observe an esophagectomy. It was amazing!
Less-informed Pre-Med: Cool! Hey, when they cut a person open does everything inside just go everywhere?
Me: What?
Less-informed Pre-Med: I just picture it like a can of worms... like you have to try to keep everything inside from, like, exploding out...
Me: :uhno: Um... no...
Less-informed Pre-Med: I guess I need to shadow more.
Note: this guy is 34, married, with a kid... I know we all make mistakes... but...:smack:

Reactions: 1 users
Me: I got to observe an esophagectomy. It was amazing!
Less-informed Pre-Med: Cool! Hey, when they cut a person open does everything inside just go everywhere?
Me: What?
Less-informed Pre-Med: I just picture it like a can of worms... like you have to try to keep everything inside from, like, exploding out...
Me: :uhno: Um... no...
Less-informed Pre-Med: I guess I need to shadow more.
Note: this guy is 34, married, with a kid... I know we all make mistakes... but...:smack:

Lol. I think he's imagining Han Solo slicing open a tauntaun.

Reactions: 27 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pa's are vital to the structure of our health care system. There isn't enough doctors to go around. They are also educated very thoroughly. To think otherwise is being ignorant to those facts.

A nurse practitioner told me a PA saved her life. He noticed an irregularity in her skin on one of her feet. Turned out to be melanoma that they caught early. Don't be so quick to dismiss other health professionals.
PAs are not that highly educated. Let us not forget that a PA is essentially a masters. While rural areas definitely are helped by them, I would rather they increase residency spots so more doctors can fill the void. The system forgets why there are PAs in the first place and while schools are entering more doctors, residency spots have more or less stayed the same. It's weird how the system is interested in having more PAs but not doctors and you people go with the swing. I'm not discrediting their help but at the same time, if I am paying the same to see a PA, it definitely makes me question why there just can't be doctors in place.

At the clinic I work at, PAs and NPs see patients who come in for PEs. They are more than qualified to perform a standard exam. If there is anything abnormal, they will discuss the issue with a doctor, who will determine if it warrants a revisit with an actual physician.

PAs are not that highly educated. Let us not forget that a PA is essentially a masters. While rural areas definitely are helped by them, I would rather they increase residency spots so more doctors can fill the void. The system forgets why there are PAs in the first place and while schools are entering more doctors, residency spots have more or less stayed the same. It's weird how the system is interested in having more PAs but not doctors and you people go with the swing. I'm not discrediting their help but at the same time, if I am paying the same to see a PA, it definitely makes me question why there just can't be doctors in place.
Me: Pa's are highly Educated
In my head: They go through a 2.5 year master's program and are then taught on the job by the doctors they serve.
Less Informed Pre-med: Pa's are not highly educated.
Me: :bang:

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys,

Good discussion, but lets try to keep this thread about funny quotes from misinformed premeds and not turn it into a debate about the role of midlevels in the US healthcare system. If you guys want to discuss that, please feel free to start a new thread, but given past events in this thread and its predecessor, let's keep it on topic please!

Reactions: 21 users

As multiple people have pointed out multiple times on SDN, there are still more residency spots than there are US M4s looking for spots. Not all of the residencies are in desirable fields/locations, but they do exist. The issue of midlevel encroachment has also been covered ad nauseum on this site, but you are free to start yet another tread if you'd like to discuss it. This demonstration of a 'less informed' pre-med has been more annoying than funny. Back to the stories!

Edit: ...and there's the mod! :) Now, to think up some stories of pre-meds I've interacted with...

Me: Discussing my stress about a Chem exam that did not go quite so well as I had hoped

Classmate: Just get comfortable with Cs, bro, it's no big deal. You only need a 3.2 to get into med school anyway

Me: I mean, maybe a few Bs are ok...but you should want your GPA to be compe-

Classmate: you don't need to stress so much, it's not as hard to get in as you think

Me: :confused:

Reactions: 6 users
I can't remember any really good conversations, but there's this classmate of mine that said his one aspiration in medicine is to become a neurosurgeon. I mean, it's great to dream big and all if that's what catches his fancy, but perhaps focus on getting in first. It isn't exactly a realistic goal either. I also remember a cocky pre-med who said she wants to become a surgeon. One year later, I overheard her talking to a classmate and saying "Well actually I decided becoming a nurse is a better way to do medicine than a doctor."

Reactions: 1 user
"DO schools are the community colleges of medical school." I overheard this in the cafeteria.

Reactions: 14 users
Me: Discussing my stress about a Chem exam that did not go quite so well as I had hoped

Classmate: Just get comfortable with Cs, bro, it's no big deal. You only need a 3.2 to get into med school anyway

Classmate: you don't need to stress so much, it's not as hard to get in as you think

Haha what sucks is that I use to think like this :cool: thank goodness I never verbalized it. Dang pre-med advisors...

Members don't see this ad :)
ME: where do you guys want to go to medical school
HER: my dad knows the dean at Ross so I can get in without a MCAT

Reactions: 14 users
its nice that this is actually an on-topic edition

I heard this one from a lovely fellow interviewee this cycle:

Him: So do you know what kind of doctor you want to be?

Me: No, do you?

Him: Well I know I don't want to do ob/gyn. I'm worried seeing babies explode out of vag all day is gonna turn me gay.

Reactions: 37 users

Him: Well I know I don't want to do ob/gyn. I'm worried seeing babies explode out of vag all day is gonna turn me gay.

Rofl.

Reactions: 2 users

Pretty sure that wins this thread.

Reactions: 12 users

:rofl:

Me: Shouldn't you be taking gen chem this semester?
Freshman premed: An advisor told me you can get in with any major so I don't need to take it.
o_O

Reactions: 4 users
Me at the campus bar joking with some friends about the impending app cycle. Approached by a drunk guy wearing a blazer and watch that are far too nice for the local dive bar:

Guy: Oh you guys are applying to medical school? That must suck to have not been accepted yet. I've already been accepted early at Yale (in september). If you need any help maybe I can have my dad make some phone calls.
My Friend: Dude aren't you in my Bio 101 lab?
Guy: Naaaaaa...
My Friend: I'm your TA, jack*ss.

Reactions: 38 users

Lol, the word choice here is just spectacular. I'm fairly certain that seeing babies explode in any scenario would be pretty traumatic to me...

He's not wrong...

I'm glad to hear the people getting interviews instead of me are of the highest possible caliber.

Reactions: 21 users

Well, you know what they say about people who are worried about being "turned gay..."

Reactions: 3 users
My mom has insisted that I start out as a nurse's aid and "work my way up to doctor". :laugh: Their generation is adorable.

Is your mom foreign born? I can't imagine anyone of my parents' age thinking that would be possible.

Explode? Similar to a potato gun?

Is your mom foreign born? I can't imagine anyone of my parents' age thinking that would be possible.
Nope, and she's jingoistic enough to threaten physical harm for such an implication lol

Where do students get those ideas? Do they have older parents or grandparents who are physicians and were accepted 30-50 years ago when things were different? Do these students not do any current research at all?

"get comfortable with C's" lol...C's can be a death sentence sometimes.

This is for a pre-PA student that I met.

Her: I need to get clinical hours to overcome my GPA.
Me: What's your GPA?
Her: 2.9
Me: Oh...
I didn't have the heart to tell her she has no chance, and since she's a senior she's lost forever.

From my mom, earlier today: "Don't worry. You'll get lots of interviews and even more acceptances."

From my dad, a week ago:
"Don't worry, I've never met a doctor who didn't get into medical school."

From my roommate, who has a sub 3.0 GPA:
"I'm not gonna volunteer. They don't respect people who just play the game." We're Illinois residents and he applied solely to public big 10 schools that take people from their state only.

Reactions: 30 users
While we're on the topic of dads.

Dad: Don't worry! If Dr. X (his best friend) got into medical school you can, he doesn't know north from south.

Me: Right... Uh dad Dr. X had a 4.0 GPA and went to a top school and now is one of the best plastic surgeons in the nation...

Side note: Dr. X is one of only like 10 docs in the nation that have his credentials I believe. Gotta love the parental support though

Some old, super mean lady my dad talked to a couple years ago -- chair of the county Republican Party, whose ex-husband was a prison doctor ...

Dad : "My son J Senpai wants to be a doctor."
Female Mike Huckabee : "He won't get into medical school. My husband had to get a letter form a senator to get in. He'd have to get a letter from a senator."

-___-

West Point SOM??

Glad you know what it takes, Ms. sit's in a little room in the back of an old church with other angry old people all day.

Reactions: 4 users
Dad, "My doctor was a bad student who never volunteered or did research, and he's a great doctor. If he can get in, you can!"

Me, "Yeah, well he's in his seventies and the standards have changed since he was young."

From my mom, earlier today: "Don't worry. You'll get lots of interviews and even more acceptances."

From my dad, a week ago:
"Don't worry, I've never met a doctor who didn't get into medical school."

I've never met a person who didn't get born.

From my roommate, who has a sub 3.0 GPA:
"I'm not gonna volunteer. They don't respect people who just play the game." We're Illinois residents and he applied solely to public big 10 schools that take people from their state only.

Does your school not have premed advising??? Is this UIUC?

Does your school not have premed advising??? Is this UIUC
That actually sounds more like something a premed advisor might put in someone's head, unfortunately.

Premed advisors and TAs. The scum of the Earth.

Dad, "My doctor was a bad student who never volunteered or did research, and he's a great doctor. If he can get in, you can!"

Me, "Yeah, well he's in his seventies and the standards have changed since he was young."

It's amazing how some parents and grandparents don't consider (and won't accept) that the med school app process has changed or has become more competitive. Doing research or volunteering isn't what makes someone a better doctor, but the fact remains that med schools use those things now to figure out who to interview and maybe accept.

Reactions: 1 user
My mom thinks that if you get an interview at a med school that means you have been accepted because my sister who had an interview for a completely different graduate program at the same school got an interview and she got accepted. Had to spend 10 minutes explaining it to her.

Since were on the subject of dads...My stepdad embodies the crazy uncle stereotype

Stepdad: So you know I was going to be a doctor, I got A's in biology, and chemistry.
Me: Really, why didn't you apply to medical school?
Stepdad: I got too drunk the night before the mcat
Me: What happened?
Stepdad: I got a 9
Me: :whoa:

Reactions: 24 users