"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"My sister wants to be a doctor too! She is getting her CNA now, then going to become an LN, then get her RN, and then go to medical school. You know.. so she can do everything at every level and be well rounded. Her plan is to go to Princeton's Medical school to study neurosurgery"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 18 users
"My sister wants to be a doctor too! She is getting her CNA now, then going to become an LN, then get her RN, and then go to medical school. You know.. so she can do everything at every level and be well rounded. Her plan is to go to Princeton's Medical school to study neurosurgery"

Ah yes, the famous Princeton medical school. Why, the mere utterance of this famous school is the most accurate of litmus tests when gauging if anyone going into the medical field has any real idea of what their plan actually is.

Reactions: 4 users
This is not from a premed but the family member of someone in a foreign country studying medicine

Person: So yea, my ..... is in country X studying medicine because it costs way too much to study medicine in the US and we don't want to deal with all the debt Me: yea, I am a premed but I'll admit that the costs for most private medical schools are ridiculous and without fin aid, paying 60-70k a year would be enormously hard
Person: No even the state med schools in this state!! They are over 50-60k for tuition! I did my research! That is the reason why we decided to go abroad. It is much easier to come back and practice in the US with a foreign medical degree and education...
Me: Uhmmm...oh..really? cool. *I've been obsessed with my state med school(s) since the beginning of time and I can with full confidence say they don't cost more than 30k in tuition*

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I got one for you guys.
Family member gets accepted to DO school. Long story short gets a C and has to take more science classes for another year and ace them before they will give her automatic acceptance. She gets accepted again this time for good and tells our family a joke that "she's so good she was the 3% that got into medical school not only once but twice" I was thinking wtf where is she getting 3% from? Whatever ill let it slide.... until she tells the same joke 2 more times so I explain to her it's more like 43%. She then proceeds to show me how 700,000 applications were submitted, and that almost no one can afford to apply to more than 1 school. Worst part of it is her dads a doctor.. and she applied to 23 schools...

Ah yes, the famous Princeton medical school. Why, the mere utterance of this famous school is the most accurate of litmus tests when gauging if anyone going into the medical field has any real idea of what their plan actually is.

The guy who told me this about his sister is an awesome guy, veteran army sniper who did 3 or 4 tours in middle east. I was not about to correct him..

Reactions: 3 users
#SGUSOM on insta:

"sometimes we trade the bikinis for white coats and skirts!"

Yeah... For the next 3 years maybe.

Also this. Seriously. Le sigh. Starts with, "I GOT ACCEPTED TO"
image.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
Ah, from a little snit I went to UG with and got into dental school:

"Why are you even bothering with those undergrad prereqs? A masters will make you more competitive"

I wanted to slap this girl side ways.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this from the scribe who talked about how he would correct the doctors all the time, and would present to them in the same way a medical student shadowing could? His entire post was one big cringe, if I'm recognizing this from the right source.

She's in chiropractic school.
image.jpeg

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The girl who always instagrams about med school (I believe she is either in undergrad or in a post-bacc) posted pics about her studying for #BOARDS. I don't think she knows the difference between the steps

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So this is the appropriate thread for this I believe. So I am in Biochemistry this semester, which I never took for my undergrad and I start talking to this young guy in the class who's a junior and wants to go PA.

Guy: Man, no offense to MD's, but I would rather goto an Naturopathic Doctor
Me: You know your gonna work under MD's right?
Guy: Yeah but I am gonna be more natural focused and more holistic
Me: :smack:

Same guy Later: Dude your a nurse, I didn't know that, can you answer something for me?
Me: sure
Guy: So I saw a DO in the hospital and I am not sure why he was there I thought DOs can't work in hospitals
Me: DO's are fully licensed physicians they can do any specialty a MD can.
Guy: Are you serious? I thought they were all about alternative medicine....

A short time later
Premed #2: Yeah DO can't be surgeons, the orthopaedic surgeon I shadowed with said so.
Me: He was joking, I work with DO surgeons everyday
Premed #2: What! DO's can do surgery!?! Are you sure?
Me: Yes
Premed #2: Well I will just go MD to be sure...
Me: thinking:enjoy the Caribbean.

And last but not least, a 'accepted' premed student (condensed version):
Me: So what have you been upto since I last saw you
Premed #3: I got into medical school
Me: Congratulations man, which one?
Premed #3: Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine
Me: :wow::smack: So what made you decide to go ND?
Premed #3: I am really into preventative medicine and MD's just treat the symptom not the disease.
Me: You don't seriously believe that
Premed #3: Its true, thats why they (MD's) shoot down alternative treatments. ND's base their care on each pt's need that's why they don't always work.
Me: Maybe it doesn't work cause it doesn't work. Thats why MD's (and DO's) do evidence based care. If the naturopathic way worked, you could prove it was evidence based, and than MD's would use it.
Premed #3: Well that's cause they focus on treating symptoms, you can't always show that things work.....
Me: Yeah, no.

Same guy, now he wants to goto actual medical school

Premed #3 talking to other students excitedly: Yeah I looked it up and Lecoms average MCAT is a 24!
Me: Yeah that's not true
Premed #3: No it really is!
Me: *No comment*

Week later:
Premed #3 now has a First Aid Step 1 USMLE book
Me: Getting alittle ahead of yourself there partner?
Premed #3: No, this thing will be great prep for the MCAT
Me: Have you taken a practice MCAT exam yet?
Premed #3: No, I am saving it for later, but I am gonna study with this.
Me::bang:

Congratulations, that last part about the USMLE book caught me off guard and made me laugh to a point where white wine came out of my nose.

My younger brother's friend (premed - freshman)

Bro: So you wanna go to med school? What kind of physician?
Her: No I'm going to be a doctor
Bro: Yeah. I know... what kind?
Her: NOT a physician... a doctor.

• Haha
Reactions: 24 users
Not a specific quote, but I would add the broad category of questions/comments that are made with the sole intent of beating the professor to the punch by bringing up a topic that will be discussed later in the lecture, but hasn't yet been mentioned. For example:

30 seconds into a lecture on neurons and action potential...
Professor: The action potential is initiated at the axon Hillock, or trigger zone...
Student: Can you tell us a little bit about how the double gating of Na+ channels is important to this process?
Professor: We'll get to that in a few minutes. Anyway, as a graded potential reaches the Hillock...
Student: Is the refractory period important to the propagation of the action potential down the axon? (Waits for kudos for knowing stuff)

We get it, dude. You read the book before class, and you know what comes next. Good for you. So did we. No one cares.

Reactions: 28 users
My chem professor actually told me this gem. He was teaching a lab in which they were working with a chemical that reacted violently with water, and prominently said so on the label. The prof even emphasized at the beginning of lab how important it was to make sure it didn't come in contact with water. Well, Unfortunate PreMed decides to pour the chemical into the graduated cylinder over the sink. It spills over the top into the wet sink, and there's a loud noise and a weird looking vapor. The professor got everyone out of the room and in the hall asked the fellow why he poured it in the sink to which he replied "I didn't...I poured it in the graduated cylinder."

Better him than me...I'm sure we've all done something stupid in the lab at one point or another. Just hopefully with less disastrous consequences!

And my other favorite...
"I am definitely becoming a neurosurgeon. I'm going to be just like McDreamy!"
*facepalm*

When you buy your own stethoscope and white coat, embroider it with "future physician/surgeon," and wear it when you do shadowing (identity concealed to protect the cringe-worthy)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 810
Reactions: 28 users
When you buy your own stethoscope and white coat, embroider it with "future physician/surgeon," and wear it when you do shadowing (identity concealed to protect the cringe-worthy)

If anyone wants this guy instagram name......PM me......I FOUND HIM!

• Haha
The coat's not the worst part. He's wearing it over a hoodie like a total d0uche.

Reactions: 5 users
Can confirm all the edgy, fratty and gunner pre-meds wear lab coats over hoodies like they are afraid its gonna go outta style. Winter is an exception however.

The coat's not the worst part. He's wearing it over a hoodie like a total d0uche.

I found another one....... if you look closely, you can read "medical student" on his badge. Oh man.......

12540730_10205644976390431_5441336068705523695_n.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
*At a new year party/club scene.....walking to the bar with my friends. Pretty attractive girl walks up to me*

Girl: Hi, whats your name?
Me: It's *******.
Girl: Nice to meet you, ********. Are you from around here?
Me: Yea, I'm from here. Went to school at Univ. of ****.
Girl: Oh really? I actually go there right now!
Me: Nice. What's your major?
Girl: Anesthesiology.
Me: What? Are you in medical school ?
Girl: Yes, i'm a 3rd year.
Me: So you're in rotations?
Girl: No, im still taking classes as a pre-med.
Me: What? hahaha..... oh youre one of thoses......So what are you drinking?
Girl: ANYTHING YOU'RE GETTING.
My friends: *Whisper in my ear* Don't buy her any drinks. :mad:
Bartender: How can I help you?
Me: 2 waters please ;)

Reactions: 24 users
All this talk about pre-meds and white coats reminded me of this story from last semester haha

First day of a lower level class, random guy sat down next to me who was wearing a scrub top and jeans. There were a few minutes before class so we talked a little. I work as a CNA and was curious if this guy did too or what was with the scrub top.

Me: "Do you work after this?"
Him: "What?"
Me: "Oh, you're wearing a scrub top so I was wondering if you had to work after this class."
Him: "Scrub top? What?"
Me: :eyebrow: "Ahh, never mind"

Thinking back I think he might have even been wearing a women's scrub top because the sides kind of flared out at the hips... poor dude, hopefully he figures it out.

Last edited:
So many people at my school wear their scrubs to class. I understand the practicality if you're a CNA and you work before/after class, but if it were me, I would change into them at work just to avoid looking like a turd.

So many people at my school wear their scrubs to class. I understand the practicality if you're a CNA and you work before/after class, but if it were me, I would change into them at work just to avoid looking like a turd.
Wearing your scrubs out in public after work is just flat out gross lol, especially if you're a CNA. You're bound to get some bodily fluids on them or be around MRSA or C. diff patients. Don't spread that shiz around to everyone else :barf:

I've been guilty of this once...
Last semester finals week, I felt like crap, it was winter and I had been working full time (nurse) on top of classes. Most of my clean clothes were scrubs, tight jeans or stuff that was just too cold for winter. One day I woke up late, was too bloated for the jeans, said screw it, and put on a pair of clean scrubs.

I wore my dressier ones with black scrub pants and a coat on top so I don't think most people noticed.

I still felt like a fool though.

Not a pre-med, but the idiot fiancé of my partner's idiot friend just posted on my partner's Facebook for his birthday wishing him a happy anniversary of his most recent completed trip around the globe.

Some second grade science teacher out there is failing us badly...

Not a pre-med, but the idiot fiancé of my partner's idiot friend just posted on my partner's Facebook for his birthday wishing him a happy anniversary of his most recent completed trip around the globe.

Some second grade science teacher out there is failing us badly...

And a city council in N. Carolina recently voted to not build a new solar panel array because of fears that it would suck up all the sunlight and not leave enough for the plants. Seriously.

And a city council in N. Carolina recently voted to not build a new solar panel array because of fears that it would suck up all the sunlight and not leave enough for the plants. Seriously.
I remember seeing that. I literally can't even. :boom:

Reactions: 2 users

Update: the guy who posted this posted that his GPA is 3.2. Is there some law that states that there is an inverse relationship between GPA and cringe-worthiness?

Am I the only find who find it annoying when my friends don't understand how hard it is to get into med school?

One of my friends who is almost failing her business major asked me why I am not attending my own alma mater's med school (a very highly ranked med school), and she said it in a way that made it sound like she thinks it's a piece of cake. I said I am not going to apply because I don't think I am competitive enough. She said :"Oh I thought people just automatically get into med school they graduate from the school's premed major."

Another friend: She asked me what I will do if I don't get in this year, I told her I will apply to DO next year and that DO is another medical degree that allows you to be a doctor but it is slightly easier to get in. She asked: "Oh like a MA?" No sweety, not like a MA.

Another friend: She is from a country that has its doctor program as an undergrad where you apply directly from high school. She asked me: "If you get into medical school, do you have to start from first year like all the other undergrads?"

Another friend: We were in a conversation and I happen to mention that I had a full-time summer job once. She was like "OMG then you are going to get into medical school for sure! It's really hard to find a full-time job in the summer!"

Another friend: She asked me which med school I want to go to, and I said whichever one that will take me. She looked shocked and said "But why would you want to go to say *insert here random lower-tier college that doesn't have a med school* for medical school?.

Another friend of mine kept on telling everyone she is studying medicine when she is in a Masters of Healthcare Technology program. No she is not trying to deceive people. She just genuinely thinks that is equivalent to a MD. And that she can get a job as a doctor when she graduates.

I need better friends :(

Reactions: 20 users
Anyone else cringe whenever they see or hear "premed major"? Like its a shock that so many people don't realize that its a TRACK and not an actual major (although I would not be surprised if some places "offer" it as a major).

Reactions: 15 users
Am I the only find who find it annoying when my friends don't understand how hard it is to get into med school?

One of my friends who is almost failing her business major asked me why I am not attending my own alma mater's med school (a very highly ranked med school), and she said it in a way that made it sound like she thinks it's a piece of cake. I said I am not going to apply because I don't think I am competitive enough. She said :"Oh I thought people just automatically get into med school they graduate from the school's premed major."

Another friend: She asked me what I will do if I don't get in this year, I told her I will apply to DO next year and that DO is another medical degree that allows you to be a doctor but it is slightly easier to get in. She asked: "Oh like a MA?" No sweety, not like a MA.

Another friend: She is from a country that has its doctor program as an undergrad where you apply directly from high school. She asked me: "If you get into medical school, do you have to start from first year like all the other undergrads?"

Another friend: We were in a conversation and I happen to mention that I had a full-time summer job once. She was like "OMG then you are going to get into medical school for sure! It's really hard to find a full-time job in the summer!"

Another friend: She asked me which med school I want to go to, and I said whichever one that will take me. She looked shocked and said "But why would you want to go to say *insert here random lower-tier college that doesn't have a med school* for medical school?.

Another friend of mine kept on telling everyone she is studying medicine when she is in a Masters of Healthcare Technology program. No she is not trying to deceive people. She just genuinely thinks that is equivalent to a MD. And that she can get a job as a doctor when she graduates.

I need better friends :(

Just when I thought some of these couldn't get any worse..

Before boarding a flight to an interview last week a really outgoing girl asked me where I was headed traveling so lightly (backpack and suit was all I needed). I explained I was heading to a medical school interview at X. Her eyes opened really wide before she said "OMG, my boyfriend goes there for medical school! He just started his masters for psychology!"

..I didn't even bother trying to further explain. It's crazy there are that many misinformed people floating around undergrad (she was a senior at a neighboring university).

Some of these are kinda funny and some kinda make make me mad. Med students should create an organization to raise awareness of how hard it is to get into med school.

Reactions: 7 users