Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my school's computer lab just now:
"I'm going to dermatology because they get paid the most and literally do nothing all day."
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i give undergrad tours at my university, which also has a top 10 med school, and i get lots of interesting questions from the high school premeds and parents:
high school kid: "So, basically if i come here for undergrad I should easily get into the med school right?"

parent: "Is the best time to start studying for the MCAT junior or senior year?"
me: "It's up to you, I did at the end of my junior year."
parent: "Okay, we will sign up for a course when we get home"
(she thought I meant of high school)

This is my favorite story:
A girl comes on my tour and tells me she is an undergrad at another university. Wanted to see the medical school but no tours were available so she came on an undergrad tour because I was premed. At the end of the tour, she asks me what I can tell her about the med school. Needless to say, I didn't have much to tell her because 1) I was applying there myself, 2) I don't work for admissions there, and 3) this is an undergrad tour. I advised her to look at MSAR, which she was very mesmerized by and thought it was some super secret thing that I was confiding her in. "No, every student looking at medical school in the entire country has this". She continues to tell me how she is really ready for the rigor of the curriculum and thinks she can get in.

Ready for the twist?
Rising sophomore and hasn't even started pre-med reqs yet.

#icry

The girl wasn't pre-med, but she knew I was and she told me that instead of going to medical school, I should just become a nurse practitioner because they're both doctors.

Not premeds, but:

People in my psych stats course can't stop whining about having to know two non algebraic formulas for standard deviation and t-tests. I wonder what would happen to them if they had to learn H-NMR or IR sprecta.

That just seems pitiful to me.

Not premeds, but:

People in my psych stats course can't stop whining about having to know two non algebraic formulas for standard deviation and t-tests. I wonder what would happen to them if they had to learn H-NMR or IR sprecta.

That just seems pitiful to me.

MATHS IS SCARY!!!!

chair.gif
sofahide.gif

LMK when the maths go away.

Neat website.
Haha, I literally just googled 'hide behind the couch smiley' because I had the same question as you!
smiley-scared0016.gif

(this one here was to see if I could add it without hyperlinking it!)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I keep meaning to tell this story.

When I took the MCAT this year, I ended up chatting with a (very pleasant) fellow test-taker in the restroom during a break.

Her: I just finished verbal.
Me: How'd it go?
Her: Ugh, I have to be honest, I'm not a big reader, so I was kind of struggling to keep my eyes open.
Me (smiling and laughing ): I hear you, but at least you're almost done!
Her: I am?
Me: Yeah, you just have biological sciences left.
Her: I thought I already did that?
Me (perplexed): No, physical sciences is always first...
Her: Oh, that must be what I just took!

I hope my face didn't display the horror I was feeling inside. I studied for this test for months, and she doesn't even know the difference between the two science sections. Poor girl. She later said that, if she didn't do well, she would move on to plan B.

Reactions: 8 users
Ready for the twist?
Rising sophomore and hasn't even started pre-med reqs yet.

#icry

Not the worst thing in the world. I didn't start my prereqs til sophomore year. Was it a stupid thing to do? Yes. Is it impossible? No.

Conversation with new girl at work today
Her: "what are you going to school for?"
Me: "I'm applying to medical school right now, so hopefully I'll be going somewhere"
Her: "What do you want to do? Like, a nurse or a surgeon or what?"
Me: "........"

Reactions: 5 users
Her: I'm really excited because the place I've been volunteering just offered me a residency!
Me: Oh, you mean they encouraged you to apply for a residency spot once you're in med school?
Her: No, they're going to let me do it this summer!
Me: ...
Her: I hear residency is supposed to be tough, so it will be great to get it out of the way.
Me: (thinking "I'll let someone else drop the bad news on her") Wow, getting your residency out of the way before sophomore year! Way to go!

Reactions: 14 users
Her: I'm really excited because the place I've been volunteering just offered me a residency!
Me: Oh, you mean they encouraged you to apply for a residency spot once you're in med school?
Her: I hear residency is supposed to be tough, so it will be great to get it out of the way.
Me: (thinking "I'll let someone else drop the bad news on her") Wow, getting your residency out of the way before sophomore year! Way to go!

What in the hell was she even talking about?

My girlfriend was out shopping with her mom yesterday and they were buying her scrubs that she is required to have for pharmacy school this coming semester. She said some ditzy girl was in there buying hot pink scrubs "just in case" she gets in to medical school. I asked my gf if she was applying right now or applied last summer and is hoping for a last minute spot to open. She said the girl was just now a sophomore in undergrad.....God bless her soul.

Well she sure is on her own little planet, isn't she?

As a side about putting down mice: there is a monument in Novosibirsk, Russia, dedicated to all the lab rats who were sacrificed for research.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/russian-scientists-build-monument-to-honor-lab-rats

those comments are so stupid.
comparing joseph mengele to researchers...?

I realize they (people who know nothing about research) make a valid point but it doesn't even compare. Someone has to make the calls someone has to do the work. Research is advancing so much now through technology that the use of model organisms as large as rats are the thing of the past. But to compare the holocaust to research..? In the future (15-20years) we'll probably be able to find a way to skip the entire model organism process but until then should we just hold off on pre-clinical trials because lab rats have feelings?

that's just asinine.

What in the hell was she even talking about?

My assumption was that she was offered an internship (as in, the kind of internship that undergrads do over the summer) and somehow got summer internship vs. medical internship vs. residency all confused in her head. But even if one hasn't done much research into the medical education process, it seems pretty intuitive that you are't completing what is known to be the most difficult part of the process by cleaning lab equipment for two months.

Oh well, I'm sure someone will fill her in before she shows up at a medical school interview and proclaims "I'm a great candidate, as I have already completed residency."

I realize they (people who know nothing about research) make a valid point but it doesn't even compare. Someone has to make the calls someone has to do the work. Research is advancing so much now through technology that the use of model organisms as large as rats are the thing of the past. But to compare the holocaust to research..? In the future (15-20years) we'll probably be able to find a way to skip the entire model organism process but until then should we just hold off on pre-clinical trials because lab rats have feelings?

that's just asinine.

I didn't even look at the comments when I posted it but I agree; comparing research scientists to Nazis is too extreme. Personally, animal testing is necessary before human trials can be conducted. Commentators who find it cruel don't realize the benefits our society has reaped from research.

I know that pain. That was the semester when I realized that only anal-retentive chemist go into quant. With that said, quant was a great course and my lab skills significantly improved because of it. 9.6812223/10 +/- .0000015. Would take again.
It would be +/- 0.000002 (and same with the value too), it doesn't make sense to have two sig figs in an error--I remember about half the class missing that exam question.

It would be +/- 0.000002 (and same with the value too), it doesn't make sense to have two sig figs in an error--I remember about half the class missing that exam question.

True. That thought didn't cross my mind when I wrote the joke, but yeah, it wouldn't make sense to have two sig figs in an error.

True. That thought didn't cross my mind when I wrote the joke, but yeah, it wouldn't make sense to have two sig figs in an error.
lol it is a bit weird of me to correct a joke.

My wife, who loves when I read to her some if the quotes from this thread, wanted me to share this one.

Wife: so what does your client do for work?
Co worker: he is a doctor and does surgery.
Wife: oh cool, what kind of surgeon is he?
Co worker: I don't know but he always has really awesome surgery stories. So and so coworker will know.
Coworker asks other coworker who knows the guy better: hey so what kind of surgeon is my client?
Other coworker: he's not a surgeon, he's a physical therapy rep and sells medical equipment.
My wife: laughs on the inside and then immediately texts me and tells me she finally has a story for that misinformed quotes thread.

Reactions: 10 users
Today a friend of mine introduced me to one of their friends and, in the process, told them that I was going to such and such med school.

Guy: so you are going to become a nurse or something huh?
Me: gives guy a funny look most likely.
Friend: no no, he is going to get an M.D.
Guy: oh so your going to be a doctor?
Me: yeah
Guy: your going to make a boat load.
Me: I'm not quite sure of that, haha.

This guy is a PhD physical therapist/professor in Texas by the way.

Kinda of interesting how both of my unrelated stories involve physical therapy in some way.

Last edited:
Undergrad volunteer.

Guy: so you're going to be a doctor?

Me: yep. I go to WCUCOM

Guy: I didn't know WCU had an MD program.

Me: they don't. It's a DO program!

Guy: oh, I thought you meant you were going to be a REAL doctor.

Me: -_-

Seriously, the struggle is real. It's either I'm not going to be a real doctor (physician), or I'm going to be a nurse/chiropractor/PT or my personal favorite, an optometrist. o_O

Reactions: 8 users

that's just asinine.
I'm an animal rights supporter but regardless of how true or false a comparison between research scientists and nazis is (we don't hate animals, we just don't care about them as beings), it's not the best means of communicating the need to extend basic rights to animals. It just leaves a bad taste in people's mouths and turns them off. Not the best campaign technique.

Reactions: 2 users
Here is evidence for the apps my school (and gyngyn's) gets from people with single digit MCAT scores. No, not each category...for the entire exam!

I keep meaning to tell this story.

When I took the MCAT this year, I ended up chatting with a (very pleasant) fellow test-taker in the restroom during a break.

Her: I just finished verbal.
Me: How'd it go?
Her: Ugh, I have to be honest, I'm not a big reader, so I was kind of struggling to keep my eyes open.
Me (smiling and laughing ): I hear you, but at least you're almost done!
Her: I am?
Me: Yeah, you just have biological sciences left.
Her: I thought I already did that?
Me (perplexed): No, physical sciences is always first...
Her: Oh, that must be what I just took!

I hope my face didn't display the horror I was feeling inside. I studied for this test for months, and she doesn't even know the difference between the two science sections. Poor girl. She later said that, if she didn't do well, she would move on to plan B.

Reactions: 10 users
Today I was talking to my friend about being premed.

Him "yea one of my friends just switched from premed to prePA"
Me "why?"
Him "because he is a below average premed student and he would be an overachiever for pre PA standards"
Me "o_O"

I think he cared more about being at the top of his class than what profession he is actually in.

Last edited:
Today I was talking to my friend about being premed.

Him "yea one of my friends just switched from premed to prePA"
Me "why?"
Him "because he is a below average premed student and he would be an overachiever for pre PA standards"
Me "o_O"
I hate that sentiment that the "totem pole" of professions is as follows:

Doctors
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
God
| |
Dentists
| |
| |
Everyone Else

Doctors
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
God
| |
Dentists
| |
| |
Everyone Else

It was more like he wanted to go PA because he wanted to be at the top of his class. Not because he really wants to be a PA.

not to mention P.A. is not for reject doctors.... it requires a fairly high gpa and gre.

This guy at my school told me he was going to become a radiologist. I said "Cool! Have you done any shadowing/volunteering/etc?" He said, "Nah, I'm just gonna quickly do all of my prereqs freshman and sophomore year and then go straight to med school without finishing the last 2 years of undergrad." Me: "Oh, nice!" :whistle: Him: "Yeah I'm just gonna apply to UCSF, cause it's close" Me: "No other schools? You know UCSF has like a 3% acceptance rate, and it'll be tough to get in without any extracurriculars" Him: "Eh, it can't be that hard" Needless to say, he is no longer pre med +pity+

Reactions: 11 users

Doctors
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
God
| |
Dentists
| |
| |
Everyone Else
I get the feeling that to many people is more like:

Surgeons

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

God

| |

Non-Surgeon Physicians

| |

Dentists

| |

Everyone Else

Reactions: 3 users
^ false. DOs should be at the bottom

^ false. DOs should be at the bottom
Nah, most people don't even know about 'em, so they wouldn't put them anywhere at all!
Shhhh! There's this great opportunity to practice medicine and it's our little secret!

Reactions: 1 users
Not a quote, but I know of a guy who didn't know about residency until AFTER HE STARTED at DO school. Just straight up didn't know it existed or what it was, etc. Derpitty-derp-dee-durp.

My fiancee tells me this isn't uncommon in her PharmD program.

I get the feeling that to many people is more like:

Surgeons

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

God

| |

Non-Surgeon Physicians

| |

Dentists

| |

Everyone Else
QFT

I'm not sure if this counts as "less informed", but I'll share anyways.

I was playing basketball in the park and these two pre-meds were talking in the sidelines. This was the part I overheard:
Premed 1: Oh cool. What specialty do you want to pursue?
Premed 2: Emergency.
Premed 1: Nice. Why emergency?
Premed 2: For the money

Here is evidence for the apps my school (and gyngyn's) gets from people with single digit MCAT scores. No, not each category...for the entire exam!

@Goro,

I remember this one story (it might be 60 pages back in this thread, or from somewhere else...):

Girl: I just did an MCAT practice test and got 14!
Friend: That's great! What section?
Girl: Ummm... All of 'em. That's only one point away from perfect, right?
Friend: What did you get on each section?
Girl: I don't remember, but the total was 14! I'm gonna obliterate this test in 2 weeks!

Turns out, she thought the WHOLE TEST was graded out of x/15, not x/45.

It really is sad how misinformed some people are...especially in this day where any information in the world can be found via a 3-second google search.

Reactions: 3 users
@Goro,

I remember this one story (it might be 60 pages back in this thread, or from somewhere else...):

Girl: I just did an MCAT practice test and got 14!
Friend: That's great! What section?
Girl: Ummm... All of 'em. That's only one point away from perfect, right?
Friend: What did you get on each section?
Girl: I don't remember, but the total was 14! I'm gonna obliterate this test in 2 weeks!

Turns out, she thought the WHOLE TEST was graded out of x/15, not x/45.

It really is sad how misinformed some people are...especially in this day where any information in the world can be found via a 3-second google search.

Seriously, though, how do people get <15* on the MCAT? You must have learned absolutely nothing in college.

*Total score, obviously

if you're not a URM you dont have a chance at getting into a US MD school with a sub 30 mcat ~ sdn
asking a lot of pertinent questions makes you clueless ~ sdn

"medical schools do holistic reviews and want well-rounded candidates so it's more than gpa and mcat" *few days later after applying* "i got a 4.0 gpa and 40 mcat where the **** are my interviews?" ~ sdn

Last edited:
if you're not a URM you dont have a chance at getting into a US MD school with a sub 30 mcat ~ sdn
increasing your MCAT is one of the most effective ways to improve your chances unless you're URM, where the gains are more diminished
asking a lot of pertinent questions makes you clueless ~ sdn
asking a lot of questions while demonstrating a complete inability to do your own searches or listen to the answers given makes you clueless

"medical schools do holistic reviews and want well-rounded candidates so it's more than gpa and mcat" *few days later after applying* "i got a 4.0 gpa and 40 mcat where the **** are my interviews?"
dude, you aren't owed a med school acceptance no matter what your stats ~ sdn

ftfy

Reactions: 17 users
Status
Not open for further replies.