Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How ridiculously arrogant can you be that you think you can summarize my app with "just stats" given that you have never seen my app? This is just astounding.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
C'mon man, not you!! U lose.

Members don't see this ad.

C'mon man, not you!! U lose.
There's "ignore silly arrogant posters" and then there's "ignore people dissing your app".
Given that, @gettheleadout is playing an entirely different game from the rest of us (though I maintain that I'm not playing)...can't really compare the two!

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't everyone just wish they could meet everyone in person?

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't everyone just wish they could meet everyone in person?
Surprisingly rarely, on here...

There are definitely people on my list, but considering how friendly and outgoing I am irl, I'm surprised at how short that list is.

Ok everyone is back in the game. For the sake of this thread Someone say something funny!

There's "ignore silly arrogant posters" and then there's "ignore people dissing your app".
Given that, @gettheleadout is playing an entirely different game from the rest of us (though I maintain that I'm not playing)...can't really compare the two!

i'm a fire flame spitter and to me ya'll just wax.

How ridiculously arrogant can you be that you think you can summarize my app with "just stats" given that you have never seen my app? This is just astounding.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

now you know how it feels to get the advice most often given to others on this forum and be discouraged :).

Ok I'll get this thread back on track.

There was a Facebook friend I had that said under his college information, "studying medical doctor at xyz university." Not his major, not "premed," just "medical doctor." -_-

He's in the Caribbean now.

Reactions: 7 users
now you know how it feels to get the advice most often given to others on this forum and be discouraged :).
I don't follow. It's one thing to say, "according to the stats you've told us you have, you have low chances at schools X, Y, and Z, since competitive stats are a generally necessary but insufficient prerequisite for a competitive application at these competitive schools." That's just the harsh reality for someone with borderline stats, sorry. It's another thing entirely to say "I don't feel comfortable acknowledging that applicants with high stats were successful elsewhere and aren't just robots, so I'm going to make unfounded assumptions about the apps of high-stat people to make myself feel better." Of course you'll claim I'm misrepresenting the situation with my description here, but everyone else knows this is what's going on. But whatever, I wish the ignore feature worked on SDN Mobile!

Edit: Oh, and for the record @mrh125, I'm more than happy to give you closure ;). If you or anyone else wants to know what the rest of my app looks like send me a private message. I've added this offer to my MDApps now too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But, back to the thread topic!

I was sitting in a lecture for the course I was TA'ing for at the time, and talking to some students of mine a couple years below me. One asked me about my MCAT score, and when I told him, he and his friends started looking up school info on their phones. A couple minutes later the friend asks me what my GPA is, and after my response he says, "You should go to Harvard! Their MCAT average is only a 36."

If only I'd known it was that simple! :laugh:

Reactions: 5 users
I don't follow. It's one thing to say, "according to the stats you've told us you have, you have low chances at schools X, Y, and Z, since competitive stats are a generally necessary but insufficient prerequisite for a competitive application at these competitive schools." That's just the harsh reality for someone with borderline stats, sorry. It's another thing entirely to say "I don't feel comfortable acknowledging that applicants with high stats were successful elsewhere and aren't just robots, so I'm going to make unfounded assumptions about the apps of high-stat people to make myself feel better." Of course you'll claim I'm misrepresenting the situation with my description here, but everyone else knows this is what's going on. But whatever, I wish the ignore feature worked on SDN Mobile!

nice blatant incongruent thoughts you got going on there. if you cant see the parallels you're not looking. people like you on this site give others blatant discouragement that's totally unnecessary and false, but you can't handle it being dished out for you. You can ignore me all you want but you cant ignore the facts.

Last edited:
I have something on topic!

An acquaintance of mine who applied last year told me it didn't matter when your LORs got in as long as it was before your interview (this is in fact, true at Ohio State). But...he's reapplying this year for obvious reasons.

Also, my mother in law (dentist) told me I should look into podiatry school instead because there is no residency (not true) and they make better money (also not true and not a good reason to go into a career IMO). :smack:

My mother forbid me to go to any med schools outside of CA.

My mother forbid me to go to any med schools outside of CA.
That sucks. I'm crossing my fingers I don't get stuck in this state.

Also, the whole 'no IS preference thing,' which is probably more what you're getting at :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Not a premed but it is more on track than half the posts here. This was a few years ago. I was speaking with a pharmacist that worked in the same pharmacy as I did (I was a tech).

Her- what do you want to do after UG?
Me- I plan to apply to medical schools.
Her- oh, did you know it is harder to get into pharmacy schools than medical schools these days?
Me- nope, didn't know that.
Her- yeah, my niece is applying to pharmacy schools and told me.
Me- sounds rough, but I have no interest in pharmacy school.

I swear a lot of pharmacists really don't like pre meds. I was told things like this all the time or told how terrible doctors are. As if I plan to only try for the most competitive possible career paths. Maybe I am just really interested in practicing medicine? Some of them couldn't get that.

I have something on topic!

An acquaintance of mine who applied last year told me it didn't matter when your LORs got in as long as it was before your interview (this is in fact, true at Ohio State). But...he's reapplying this year for obvious reasons.
Sadly, my premed advisor (and committee letter writer) said the same thing. :rage:

How's that less informed? For all we know, your friend is probably a smart person who can score a 40 with minimal practice.
I guess I should have clarified! She's intelligent just, much like me, behind with her prereq classes for the MCAT so some concentrated review is required in order to have the content down.

At the mall
Her: so you're a premed! How exciting! So what grad school are you going to afterwards? Doctor school? Nursing school? Psych school?
Me: .....
:smack:
This seems to happen a lot, from reading this thread (so this is not directed at just you), but they're confusing Pre-Med with Pre-Health, which is pretty reasonable and understandable. It's not like you know all the different art majors, or whatever else. If your not pre-health, you probably just don't care. Why should they?

Last edited:
If I had like Bill Gates wealth, tons of free time, and a desire to troll I would take them MCAT for fun, get <10, and apply to all ~130 US schools
If I was rich I'd buy Harvard Medical School and shut it down just to watch the gunners cry.

Reactions: 8 users
Can only be the kid of a legacy/donor. The SAT scores for those Ivy League schools are stupid high, and you don't get a 750+ on the math section of the SAT if you can't do fractions.
Not necessarily. I'm awful at doing basic math without a calculator, but I did great on SAT math since you're allowed one.

If I was rich I'd buy Harvard Medical School and shut it down just to watch the gunners cry.

Wouldn't it be more fun to send nasty, mocking rejection letters instead? Then admit a bunch of URMs with below average stats and check SDN for the massive outrage and butthurt?

Reactions: 12 users
Wouldn't it be more fun to send nasty, mocking rejection letters instead? Then admit a bunch of URMs with below average stats and check SDN for the massive outrage and butthurt?
You are a cruel, evil genius.

Reactions: 3 users
This thread used to actually be good
It has always been off and on funny stories and 'random convos+people complaining about the lack of funny stories without adding any. '

It has always been off and on funny stories and 'random convos+people complaining about the lack of funny stories without adding any. '
That's true, although it's to be expected on a 100+ page thread.

I'll add a story!
Me talking to an incoming freshman who plays on becoming a neurosurgeon :whistle:
Me: So you're pre-med? That's awesome!
Her: Yeah, I want to become a neurosurgeon, but I'll probably apply to a few different types of schools anyways.
Me: What do you mean?
Her: Well just in case I end up not wanting to be a neurosurgeon, I'm going to apply to some pediatrics schools, some oncology schools, and maybe some obgyn schools in addition to neurosurgery schools.
Me: You specialize after medical school - during residency..
Her: :arghh: What's residency?!

I guess she is only a freshman, but still :rofl:

Reactions: 6 users
That's true, although it's to be expected on a 100+ page thread.

I'll add a story!
Me talking to an incoming freshman who plays on becoming a neurosurgeon :whistle:
Me: So you're pre-med? That's awesome!
Her: Yeah, I want to become a neurosurgeon, but I'll probably apply to a few different types of schools anyways.
Me: What do you mean?
Her: Well just in case I end up not wanting to be a neurosurgeon, I'm going to apply to some pediatrics schools, some oncology schools, and maybe some obgyn schools in addition to neurosurgery schools.
Me: You specialize after medical school - during residency..
Her: :arghh: What's residency?!

I guess she is only a freshman, but still :rofl:

Yeah, kind of like how my story went.. Well lets all hope we make it to Doctor school :clap:

Reactions: 2 users
I have always been around decently informed premeds, its my friends/relatives that are really uninformed.

General friend convo:
Friend: Hey, I know your pre-med you can help me. I have x, y, z symptoms. What do I have?
Me: Ughh idk!
Friend: Your going to be a terrible doctor.
Me: Thanks

or

Friend: I think my cat is sick.
Me: You should take her to the vet!
Friend: Can you just come take a look at her?
Me: Um, what?
Friend: Didn't you just go to school for this for the past 4 years?
Me: No. And I want to be a human doctor not a vet.
Friend: You just don't know whats wrong with my cat.
Me: Obviously...

..appreantly a BS in bio gives me the ability to treat animals, and there is no difference between a vet and a human doc.

or a recent family conversation I had...

Aunt: I heard you want to be a doctor!
Me: Yea, I'm applying to medical school now.
Aunt: I had no idea you wanted to be a doctor! *Proceeds to explain her medical history to me. Wants my opinion on everything. Trying to talk about all these procedures she learned. Luckily I'm able to follow along since I worked in a clinical setting for a while and picked some things up.*

.....10 minutes later of hearing about all her health problems....

Aunt: Why don't you just become a dentist!
Me: Idk, just not something I really found interesting. I guess its the idea of being in someones mouth all the time.
Aunt: How about a naturopath! I heard they do amazing things.
Me: Yeaaa I dont think so. *Struggling not to crush her hopes in all the herbs she is taking*
Aunt: Just become a chiropractor.
Me: I will look into it, but idk if its something I'm interested in. *walk out of the room*.

Reactions: 9 users
mrh, what is your interpretation of the things people are saying to you? Why do you think so many are being so negative towards you?

At this point I'm sure people are nothing but negative towards him.

There is only so much stupid and entitled anyone can take before they start throwing insults at this guy.

Mrh, if you're still around get this: you're no less obnoxious, pretentious, and entitled than the rich butt-orifices you dislike so much... Only they've got money to back up their attitudes...

In any productive and positive community there is always one.

You know what I find funny... those premeds that come to college thinking they've taken upon a challenge equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest. I'm assuming that when they realize it's not that big of a deal, but they still want to be seen as someone having to go through a difficult path. So if a talk about medical school comes up, they talk about wanting to be a pediatric neurological oncology that does HIV research and is the Chief of Medicine a the hospital. All while being a full time mother, teaching medical school, and doing medical mission trips in Africa/South America.

At first I used to give advice about how that they should really focus on one or two things, as most physicians just don't have the time to do it all. After much resistance, I've learned to smile, nod, and says wow every 14.5 seconds. Feed the ego.

Edit: Also, I would like to add those girls that romanticized medicine and the life of a doctor to being exactly like something out of Grey's Anatomy. This occurred mostly in high school. More annoying than funny though.

You know what I find funny... those premeds that come to college thinking they've taken upon a challenge equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest. I'm assuming that when they realize it's not that big of a deal, but they still want to be seen as someone having to go through a difficult path. So if a talk about medical school comes up, they talk about wanting to be a pediatric neurological oncology that does HIV research and is the Chief of Medicine a the hospital. All while being a full time mother, teaching medical school, and doing medical mission trips in Africa/South America.

At first I used to give advice about how that they should really focus on one or two things, as most physicians just don't have the time to do it all. After much resistance, I've learned to smile, nod, and says wow every 14.5 seconds. Feed the ego.

Edit: Also, I would like to add those girls that romanticized medicine and the life of a doctor to being exactly like something out of Grey's Anatomy. This occurred mostly in high school. More annoying than funny though.

You mean theres not gonna be a Ms. McDreamy for me out there??? I won't be able to look awesome after my hospital shifts?? I won't inherit 8 million dollars from my patients????

you make me want to quit medicine!

You mean theres not gonna be a Ms. McDreamy for me out there??? I won't be able to look awesome after my hospital shifts?? I won't inherit 8 million dollars from my patients????

you make me want to quit medicine!
on the bright side, you probably won't be removing bombs from inside patients or cutting LVAD wires.. or any of those other really really horrible things that follow them around :shrug:haha

Reactions: 5 users
This seems to happen a lot, from reading this thread (so this is not directed at just you), but they're confusing Pre-Med with Pre-Health, which is pretty reasonable and understandable. It's not like you know all the different art majors, or whatever else. If your not pre-health, you probably just don't care. Why should they?

There's that, and also the possibility that they just spoke to someone who told them they were "premed" and are going to become a nurse or pharmacist. Then their very next encounter is with a "real premed" and they don't want to assume anything - and as a result end up on the "misinformed" thread.

Last edited:
There's that, and also the possibility that they just spoke to someone who told them they were "premed" and are going to become a nurse or pharmacist. Then their very next encounter is with a "real premed" and they don't want to assume anything - and as a result end up on the "misinformed" thread.
Haha, there's that as well.

Met a girl last semester in my upper level bio class that said she was going to medical school after graduation, found out later that by "medical school" she meant physical therapy....

My pet peeve is when people umbrella category all healthcare professional schools under "medical school." Like bro, don't do that. We have so much more **** to go through it's ridiculous.

I have always been around decently informed premeds, its my friends/relatives that are really uninformed.

General friend convo:
Friend: Hey, I know your pre-med you can help me. I have x, y, z symptoms. What do I have?
Me: Ughh idk!
Friend: Your going to be a terrible doctor.
Me: Thanks

or

Friend: I think my cat is sick.
Me: You should take her to the vet!
Friend: Can you just come take a look at her?
Me: Um, what?
Friend: Didn't you just go to school for this for the past 4 years?
Me: No. And I want to be a human doctor not a vet.
Friend: You just don't know whats wrong with my cat.
Me: Obviously...

..appreantly a BS in bio gives me the ability to treat animals, and there is no difference between a vet and a human doc.

or a recent family conversation I had...

Aunt: I heard you want to be a doctor!
Me: Yea, I'm applying to medical school now.
Aunt: I had no idea you wanted to be a doctor! *Proceeds to explain her medical history to me. Wants my opinion on everything. Trying to talk about all these procedures she learned. Luckily I'm able to follow along since I worked in a clinical setting for a while and picked some things up.*

.....10 minutes later of hearing about all her health problems....

Aunt: Why don't you just become a dentist!
Me: Idk, just not something I really found interesting. I guess its the idea of being in someones mouth all the time.
Aunt: How about a naturopath! I heard they do amazing things.
Me: Yeaaa I dont think so. *Struggling not to crush her hopes in all the herbs she is taking*
Aunt: Just become a chiropractor.
Me: I will look into it, but idk if its something I'm interested in. *walk out of the room*.
I love when people ask you medical questions because you're applying to medical school lol my friends and family do it all the time, give me a few more years, right now I'm useless

Met a girl last semester in my upper level bio class that said she was going to medical school after graduation, found out later that by "medical school" she meant physical therapy....

My pet peeve is when people umbrella category all healthcare professional schools under "medical school." Like bro, don't do that. We have so much more **** to go through it's ridiculous.

Truth be told, physical therapy girls are super hot. Frankly, I had no idea what physical therapy was until I was "educated" by few of those hot PT chicks :naughty:

This one has been hashed out before on this thread, but I am stunned at how many people think a few weekends of light MCAT studying will garner a 35+ score.

Reactions: 2 users
This one has been hashed out before on this thread, but I am stunned at how many people think a few weekends of light MCAT studying will garner a 35+ score.

Them: "So all I need to do is score a 40 and I'll get in?"

They're not wrong...

I love when people ask you medical questions because you're applying to medical school lol my friends and family do it all the time, give me a few more years, right now I'm useless
My grandparents love to ask me this kind of stuff, but I really think it's because they think I'll bring it up with a doctor I shadow.
Truth be told, massage therapy girls are super hot. Frankly, I had no idea what physical therapy was until I was "educated" by few of those hot MT chicks :naughty:
FTFY

Status
Not open for further replies.