Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Them: "So all I need to do is score a 40 and I'll get in?"

They're not wrong...
Yes they are.. no single thing can guarantee a med school acceptance (maybe aside from donating a building haha), not even an incredible MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes they are.. no single thing can guarantee a med school acceptance (maybe aside from donating a building haha), not even an incredible MCAT score.

Nothing is guaranteed, but a 40 on the mcat would put you in a pretty good position assuming you didn't have a giant red flag or sub-3.0 GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I met a pre-med kid during my freshman year of college who, I kid you not, convinced his parents to drop everything and move to California to become legal residents there. After doing so, he would be able to apply IS to UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford, hoping that the In-State-Stamp would give him a better chance.

Frankly, I know next-to-nothing about residency laws, and I don't know how long his parents would have to live there to become legal state residents or if that would translate to him. But, lo and behold, his parents moved to a suburb in cali within the year.

Reactions: 4 users
I met a pre-med kid during my freshman year of college who, I kid you not, convinced his parents to drop everything and move to California to become legal residents there. After doing so, he would be able to apply IS to UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford, hoping that the In-State-Stamp would give him a better chance.

Frankly, I know next-to-nothing about residency laws, and I don't know how long his parents would have to live there to become legal state residents or if that would translate to him. But, lo and behold, his parents moved to a suburb in cali within the year.

Should've gone to Texas or Washington :smack:

Reactions: 8 users
Should've gone to Texas or Washington :smack:
Washington only has one medical school and we share it with four other states. Wouldn't moving to a state with more schools be a much better choice?

Me talking to my partner in O-Chem Lab, who is pre-med, about applying to med school next year:

Me- "I'm a little worried about my letters of recommendation situation... I just need them to be strong."
Him- "Ah Dude, I'm not worried about that... My mom's friends with this really high-up attorney and he said he'd write me one."
Me- "But he's an attorney..?"
Him- "Dude, med schools love name value when it comes to your letters.. That will set me apart."
Me- "Nice, Dude... Nice.."

You know that's funny.

Reactions: 8 users
Me talking to my partner in O-Chem Lab, who is pre-med, about applying to med school next year:

Me- "I'm a little worried about my letters of recommendation situation... I just need them to be strong."
Him- "Ah Dude, I'm not worried about that... My mom's friends with this really high-up attorney and he said he'd write me one."
Me- "But he's an attorney..?"
Him- "Dude, med schools love name value when it comes to your letters.. That will set me apart."
Me- "Nice, Dude... Nice.."

You know that's funny.

:shrug:

As long as he's not a medical malpractice attorney, it could be good.... i guess....

:shrug:

As long as he's not a medical malpractice attorney, it could be good.... i guess....

I have to believe that ADCOMs would scoff at an applicant using some random lawyer as a person to get a LOR from.

I know I would.

"What, did this person ask for his letter while being counseled on that DUI charge?"

Reactions: 5 users
Who: Me in high school
Where: At home at a family dinner

Sister: "He said he wanted to be a doctor"

Dad: "Oh that's great. What specialty do you want?"

Me: "I'd like to do surgery or neurology"

Dad: "Well what about dermatology?"

Me: "No, I don't want to do dermatology. I'm really against cosmetic reconstructive surgery."

Sister: "That's not what dermatology is about."

Aunt, sitting next to me, kept eating her chicken with a blank stare.

Sister, after dinner: "You do realize auntie had plastic surgery on her nose done before right?"

Me: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG HAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

For some reason, all of my friends think I should become a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. They said it's because I "look" the part. Wtf.

There was this girl in my sophomore O-chem lab that talked about how she was going to be a "pediatric cardiothoracic transplant surgeon". She didn't even know what a residency was, or even a fellowship was. When I brought up that cardiothoracic surgeons typically have another 7-8 years of residency+fellowship after med school, she told me that she would aim for four because shed just "take extra summer classes". It was unbelievable. All she talked about was how she would be making $500,000 plus after school. This same girl didnt even have the dexterity to handle glassware without breaking it and used an old lab from previous years to complete all the write ups. :smack:

The worst part is her father is a surgeon at a very well respected hospital and serves on the admissions board of our University's medical school. She also told me how he and a dean of this top 10 med school were best friends back in India and he is a frequent visitor at her home. It makes me sick to my stomach that she probably will get into a top tier med school with ease while the rest of us without connections have to fight tooth and nail. This is why I do not have a problem with URMs getting preference and overall holistic approaches to admission, because otherwise schools would be filled with people like her. (I'm not a URM btw.)

Members don't see this ad :)
There was this girl in my sophomore O-chem lab that talked about how she was going to be a "pediatric cardiothoracic transplant surgeon". She didn't even know what a residency was, or even a fellowship was. When I brought up that cardiothoracic surgeons typically have another 7-8 years of residency+fellowship after med school, she told me that she would aim for four because shed just "take extra summer classes". It was unbelievable. All she talked about was how she would be making $500,000 plus after school. This same girl didnt even have the dexterity to handle glassware without breaking it and used an old lab from previous years to complete all the write ups. :smack:

The worst part is her father is a surgeon at a very well respected hospital and serves on the admissions board of our University's medical school. She also told me how he and a dean of this top 10 med school were best friends back in India and he is a frequent visitor at her home. It makes me sick to my stomach that she probably will get into a top tier med school with ease while the rest of us without connections have to fight tooth and nail. This is why I do not have a problem with URMs getting preference and overall holistic approaches to admission, because otherwise schools would be filled with people like her. (I'm not a URM btw.)
How does being URM have anything to do with that?

Reactions: 7 users
How does being URM have anything to do with that?

I think the implication is that URMs, since they are under represented in medicine, are statistically less likely to have family members in positions that could be leveraged to get them in to situations they might not otherwise qualify for.

You gotta read the subtext... and realize the frequency of statistics fetishes here on SDN.

Reactions: 7 users
I think the implication is that URMs, since they are under represented in medicine, are statistically less likely to have family members in positions that could be leveraged to get them in to situations they might not otherwise qualify for.

You gotta read the subtext... and realize the frequency of statistics fetishes here on SDN.

Thank you, someone gets it. I wasn't trying to make a political statement. I was just trying to say this is why med schools have to take into account URM status and any other personal challenges. Otherwise med schools could fill their entire class with sons/daughters of physicians and administrators.

This is less about being uninformed and more about being spoiled brats.

I am doing a DIY post bacc. I just finished a summer Bio 2 at a local community college that was crammed with pre-meds and pre-PAs Most are students at 4 year universities, who were taking the class at CC because they had been told that it was so much easier than the courses at their school. They were rather disappointed at being actually expected to learn the material.

One bro, who has complained the most about the professor and his unrealistic expectations, has already told us he is going to be a neurosurgeon.

Him: "A chapter quiz every week is BS. Doesn't the professor know that this is a summer course? Who has time to study every week?"
Me: "You realize that the exams in medical school are going to be a lot harder and cover much more material, right?"
Him: "Yeah, people say that, but I think they are just exaggerating... Anyhow, if I fall behind, I will just ask for extra credit...
Me: .... :eek:

He was nearly thrown out of lab for mutilating an animal he was supposed to have been dissecting. He basically just started randomly chopping it up without following any instructions. He says that Bio 2 is "just a throw away course, because it is all just animals and plants and stuff. I don't need to know any of that stuff to be a surgeon." He thought that since it is a community college we would just watch videos or something.

One girl was really pissed that the professor wasn't onboard with her taking a 2 week vacation in the middle of the 8 week course. "As long as I make up the quizzes and labs (!), why should it matter if I miss 2 weeks. It isn't my fault! My parents are the ones who planned the vacation. What am I supposed to do, stay home so I can go to class while they go to the beach?" She looked at me like I had 3 eyes when I suggested that maybe she shouldn't have scheduled a course when she knew she had a vacation planned.

Reactions: 10 users
This is less about being uninformed and more about being spoiled brats.

I am doing a DIY post bacc. I just finished a summer Bio 2 at a local community college that was crammed with pre-meds and pre-PAs Most are students at 4 year universities, who were taking the class at CC because they had been told that it was so much easier than the courses at their school. They were rather disappointed at being actually expected to learn the material.

One bro, who has complained the most about the professor and his unrealistic expectations, has already told us he is going to be a neurosurgeon.

Him: "A chapter quiz every week is BS. Doesn't the professor know that this is a summer course? Who has time to study every week?"
Me: "You realize that the exams in medical school are going to be a lot harder and cover much more material, right?"
Him: "Yeah, people say that, but I think they are just exaggerating... Anyhow, if I fall behind, I will just ask for extra credit...
Me: .... :eek:

He was nearly thrown out of lab for mutilating an animal he was supposed to have been dissecting. He basically just started randomly chopping it up without following any instructions. He says that Bio 2 is "just a throw away course, because it is all just animals and plants and stuff. I don't need to know any of that stuff to be a surgeon." He thought that since it is a community college we would just watch videos or something.

One girl was really pissed that the professor wasn't onboard with her taking a 2 week vacation in the middle of the 8 week course. "As long as I make up the quizzes and labs (!), why should it matter if I miss 2 weeks. It isn't my fault! My parents are the ones who planned the vacation. What am I supposed to do, stay home so I can go to class while they go to the beach?" She looked at me like I had 3 eyes when I suggested that maybe she shouldn't have scheduled a course when she knew she had a vacation planned.

It's a condensed summer course. They should be having an EXAM every week!

Friend of mine: "Dude you can get like a 20 on the MCAT and you're set, just do amazing on the interview, that is all that matters yo, the interview yo"

safe_image.php

The interview YOOOOOO, bro.

URM > Legacy
It has always amazed me that the legacy issue gets no outrage among pre-meds when it accounts for far more unexplainable interviews than UIM ever has. We call it affirmative action of the usual kind.

Reactions: 14 users
It has always amazed me that the legacy issue gets no outrage among pre-meds when it accounts for far more unexplainable interviews than UIM ever has. We call it affirmative action of the usual kind.

Doesn't show up in the stats. There's no Table 25 for legacies.

I decided to join a fraternity freshman year to have a social side of college and hold a leadership position starting sophomore year. Formal recruitment at my school starts in October rather than August like most schools around me. After the third (last) round of recruitment I got my bid to a top-tier fraternity. Monday, in my chem lab, I was talking to another premed (female mind you) in my group about recruitment and how excited I was to be in the fraternity.

Me: Yeah I pledged XYZ (not actual letters)
Premed 1: Oh really? That's awesome! Good luck with classes though!
Me: I know, it's a major commitment. But once I get through this semester and get initiated, it will be all worth it.
Premed 1: Well, med schools will put it against you for joining and might reject you
Me: Oh really, why so?
Premed 1: Well, to start, it takes a lot of time and med schools hate it when you do stuff outside volunteering and studying for classes. They wanna see that you're committed to becoming a doctor! Also they will think you're an alcoholic so they might make you explain that.
Me: :eyebrow:
Premed 2 (a guy, not even in our group, decided to chime in with his words of wisdom): Yeah man, I was in a frat once. Too much time constraint so I failed all my classes and had to reapply to get back in here.
Me: Didn't you not get academic probation first? (which is policy at my university before they kick you out)
Premed 2: Nah man that was the second time I failed out. Besides, if I work really hard these next two years and get my pre-reqs done, I'll have something like a 2.6 GPA then I'll just apply to a bunch of schools until they let me in.
Me: [I was too dumbfounded to even respond. I didn't even know where to begin]
Premed 1: Yeah! Because of fraternities he's gotta bounce back!
Me: You know fraternities want you to pass? The one I pledged to requires at least a 2.75 GPA and 9 required study hours a week
Premed 2: Yeah man I didn't go to any of those [study hours]. Also, I just hung around at the house and drank all day. Except the week before an exam.
Me: :eek:
Premed 1: Yeah do you wanna end up like that?
Me: No, I don't wanna end up like [Premed 2], I wanna end up like Adam, who's the president of XYZ and is going to Med school this fall.

At that point, it was made-up statistics about how greeks fail out and how they don't know anything outside of fraternity. True for some, but if you're in a top-tier fraternity, they cut out the bull**** and want men that can lead to excel and make strong connections. I ended dropping the fraternity 2 months later due to time constraint and money issues. Premed 1 ended up failing Chem 1 and the lab and switching to a business major. Premed 2 went on the Gen chem II with Lab but failed and got kicked out.

I decided to join a fraternity freshman year to have a social side of college and hold a leadership position starting sophomore year. Formal recruitment at my school starts in October rather than August like most schools around me. After the third (last) round of recruitment I got my bid to a top-tier fraternity. Monday, in my chem lab, I was talking to another premed (female mind you) in my group about recruitment and how excited I was to be in the fraternity.

Me: I know, it's a major commitment. But once I get through this semester and get initiated, it will be all worth it.
Premed 1: Well, med schools will put it against you for joining and might reject you
Premed 1: Well, to start, it takes a lot of time and med schools hate it when you do stuff outside volunteering and studying for classes. They wanna see that you're committed to becoming a doctor! Also they will think you're an alcoholic so they might make you explain that.
Premed 2 (a guy, not even in our group, decided to chime in with his words of wisdom): Yeah man, I was in a frat once. Too much time constraint so I failed all my classes and had to reapply to get back in here.
Me: Didn't you not get academic probation first? (which is policy at my university before they kick you out)
Premed 2: Nah man that was the second time I failed out. Besides, if I work really hard these next two years and get my pre-reqs done, I'll have something like a 2.6 GPA then I'll just apply to a bunch of schools until they let me in.
Me: You know fraternities want you to pass? The one I pledged to requires at least a 2.75 GPA and 9 required study hours a week
Premed 2: Yeah man I didn't go to any of those [study hours]. Also, I just hung around at the house and drank all day. Except the week before an exam.
Me: No, I don't wanna end up like [Premed 2], I wanna end up like Adam, who's the president of XYZ and is going to Med school this fall.

At that point, it was made-up statistics about how greeks fail out and how they don't know anything outside of fraternity. True for some, but if you're in a top-tier fraternity, they cut out the bull**** and want men that can lead to excel and make strong connections. I ended dropping the fraternity 2 months later due to time constraint and money issues. Premed 1 ended up failing Chem 1 and the lab and switching to a business major. Premed 2 went on the Gen chem II with Lab but failed and got kicked out.

So.. tl;dr. Everyone loses

Fraternities add nothing to your resume. It's either a push, or a potential red flag. You really are risking your GPA to bro it up, just FYI.

Reactions: 2 users
Fraternities add nothing to your resume. It's either a push, or a potential red flag. You really are risking your GPA to bro it up, just FYI.
I'm calling shenanigans. Greek life added a ton of leadership and volunteer hours to my resume.

Really? Few of the famous members here had significant leadership/volunteering experiences from frats and got into a Top 20. Some frats are crap with nothing but drinking. Other frats are actually very service and academic oriented, so it varies

Reactions: 1 user
I'm calling shenanigans. Greek life added a ton of leadership and volunteer hours to my resume.

Yeah, because you pursued leadership and volunteer activities through the organization. Just being a member of a fraternity won't help, though.
And to @Lawper, I founded a fraternity and was the VP for 2 years (though, again, I doubt the fraternity itself had ANY relevance to my acceptance).

Yeah, because you pursued leadership and volunteer activities through the organization. Just being a member of a fraternity won't help, though.
And to @Lawper, I founded a fraternity and was the VP for 2 years (though, again, I doubt the fraternity itself had ANY relevance to my acceptance).

Well yeah. By itself it may not mean anythibg, but what you did is definitely important

Yes, there are plenty of people in frats who go to med school. Yes, they are a distinct minority who would have made it just as easily without the frat. If you use it as a vehicle for leadership, it's not a bad thing. But leadership in actual academic pursuits and not social clubs are much more worthy. I'm sure everyone in a frat can point to one or two guys who have acceptances. Bill Gates and Michael Dell dropped out of college, doesn't mean everyone should.

Lots of guys in my fraternity get in-in fact at my school all but one of teh guys that are going to medical school were in fraternities this year. They have great grades, community service and real leadership examples. The hardest leadership responsibilities I have come from my fraternity, not any of the other clubs where I am an officer. I have worked with large budgets, chaired statewide conventions, organized activities for campus-wide philanthropy events, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. Some adcoms will not be impressed by the fraternity designation but most don't hold it against you. If you can show that you got something out of the experience it shouldn't hurt you. If you can't show it, don't put it on your application.

Lots of guys in my fraternity get in-in fact at my school all but one of teh guys that are going to medical school were in fraternities this year. They have great grades, community service and real leadership examples. The hardest leadership responsibilities I have come from my fraternity, not any of the other clubs where I am an officer. I have worked with large budgets, chaired statewide conventions, organized activities for campus-wide philanthropy events, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. Some adcoms will not be impressed by the fraternity designation but most don't hold it against you. If you can show that you got something out of the experience it shouldn't hurt you. If you can't show it, don't put it on your application.

It sounds like a small liberal arts school where almost every student is in a fraternity or sorority. I'm yet to find out of anyone who was involved with Greek life at my school and who ended up going to med school (approximately 50 students per year). All schools are different.

For some reason, all of my friends think I should become a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. They said it's because I "look" the part. Wtf.

They likely suggested that you should go see a plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Reactions: 6 users
It sounds like a small liberal arts school where almost every student is in a fraternity or sorority. I'm yet to find out of anyone who was involved with Greek life at my school and who ended up going to med school (approximately 50 students per year). All schools are different.
I specifically chose a school with no Greek life because :uhno:
But then, I grew up in a college town, so I learned early to have an aversion to frats.

Can we save all the stupid frat arguments for a separate thread, unless you consider your own comments quote of less-informed pre-meds.

So, back to the topic...

One of the pre-meds from that bio class was telling me that her older cousin had loaned her some MCAT prep books that he had used. I asked if she knew that the test was going to change next year, and she said that she did, that's why she was preparing to take the test this year, so her score would still be good for next year's application cycle.

Her: Do you think that it is okay to use review materials from 2007-2008? Or will they be out of date?
Me: I'm sure that it will be fine. I mean, the basic sciences really haven't changed that much in that amount of time.
Her: Oh, good! I've been working with them a lot for the past few months. I've been focused on the verbal parts. I think I am good with the sciences, but I am nervous about the writing portion. Using the practice prompts and timing myself has been really helpful.
Me: ...do you know that there isn't a writing section this year.
Her: o_O ...:eek: ....:depressed:!

I tried to make it better by explaining that her improved writing skills would be needed for all the secondaries she would have to fill out, but she didn't know about secondaries either. She thought it was just AMCAS and forget it.

EDIT: Sometimes I want to tell people about this place, but I don't want to blow my cover. If only I weren't sure that some people I know IRL are on here, I would have many more stories to tell.

So, back to the topic...

One of the pre-meds from that bio class was telling me that her older cousin had loaned her some MCAT prep books that he had used. I asked if she knew that the test was going to change next year, and she said that she did, that's why she was preparing to take the test this year, so her score would still be good for next year's application cycle.

Her: Do you think that it is okay to use review materials from 2007-2008? Or will they be out of date?
Me: I'm sure that it will be fine. I mean, the basic sciences really haven't changed that much in that amount of time.
Her: Oh, good! I've been working with them a lot for the past few months. I've been focused on the verbal parts. I think I am good with the sciences, but I am nervous about the writing portion. Using the practice prompts and timing myself has been really helpful.
Me: ...do you know that there isn't a writing section this year.
Her: o_O ...:eek: ....:depressed:!

I tried to make it better by explaining that her improved writing skills would be needed for all the secondaries she would have to fill out, but she didn't know about secondaries either. She thought it was just AMCAS and forget it.

EDIT: Sometimes I want to tell people about this place, but I don't want to blow my cover. If only I weren't sure that some people I know IRL are on here, I would have many more stories to tell.

Ok so long story short a girl thought there was a writing section when there isn't. Did we really need a textbook worth of writing to explain that?

Ok so long story short a girl thought there was a writing section when there isn't. Did we really need a textbook worth of writing to explain that?
Meh, they were attempting to re-rail the thread. A few extra lines helped the story, took about 0.5s to read.
I'd rather a story (even with some extra spin) to pull us back in than a few condescending comments about how "this thread used to be good" or "can you guys all shut up about what you are talking about so that we can listen to the funny stories which aren't being posted right now" (as if tangents stop good stories from being posted, rather than simply entertaining the rest of us in the interim). So, props to @Promethean for using a story.

Reactions: 9 users
I don't know how you're a medical student and think that a short paragraph is somehow long. I know girls that have failed out of gen chem classes with longer attention span than that.

I'm sorry that you feel your time on this silly, just-for-fun, social thread was wasted.

Somebody I met last semester:

Me: So what do you want to do with Psychology major after you graduate?
Him: Oh, I will either become a psychologist or a psychiatrist but I haven't decided yet. I would want to make more money but I am also more interested in talking to people than prescribing drugs. I helped so many of my depressed friends this way!!!

It makes me so pissed :mad:whenever I hear from a (usually freshman) psychology major that they are still deciding whether they want to become a psychologist or a psychiatrist.

First of all, they have no idea about the coursework they have to undertake in undergrad to go to medical school. Second of all, they think that all psychologists do is clinical psychology, which is absolutely nothing most psychologists are involved with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.