Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody I met last semester:

Me: So what do you want to do with Psychology major after you graduate?
Him: Oh, I will either become a psychologist or a psychiatrist but I haven't decided yet. I would want to make more money but I am also more interested in talking to people than prescribing drugs. I helped so many of my depressed friends this way!!!

It makes me so pissed :mad:whenever I hear from a (usually freshman) psychology major that they are still deciding whether they want to become a psychologist or a psychiatrist.

First of all, they have no idea about the coursework they have to undertake in undergrad to go to medical school. Second of all, they think that all psychologists do is clinical psychology, which is absolutely nothing most psychologists are involved with.
I'm fine with being frustrated when people don't know what they're getting into, but it's perfectly valid for someone to still be deciding whether they want psychology vs psychiatry, just as it's perfectly valid for people to spend time deciding whether to be an MD or a PA (no, not trying to start some bizarre war where I insulted either psychiatrists or PAs somehow, the parallel is valid without being exact). In fact, I would argue that it's a GOOD thing.

And, while there may be more to it than that, there is DEFINITELY a widespread perception that psychologist = drugs, psychiatrist = talk, which makes sense given that this is the main difference between the two from a patient's perspective. A lot of people go to a psychiatrist to talk, and then are referred somewhere for medications, so even if it isn't the full story, it's the bit of the iceberg that's sticking up where people run into it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I guess I should contribute to this thread called:-

Here's my story:-
I wrote cool story bro and a premed posted
I don't know how you're a medical student and think that a short paragraph is somehow long. I know girls that have failed out of gen chem classes with longer attention span than that.

Well I guess I should contribute to this thread called:-

Here's my story:-
I wrote cool story bro and a premed posted
I love it when people make it easy to 'Ignore'!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know right?!?!

Most of the psychologists I know end up working in insurance or finance. ;-)

I'm fine with being frustrated when people don't know what they're getting into, but it's perfectly valid for someone to still be deciding whether they want psychology vs psychiatry, just as it's perfectly valid for people to spend time deciding whether to be an MD or a PA (no, not trying to start some bizarre war where I insulted either psychiatrists or PAs somehow, the parallel is valid without being exact). In fact, I would argue that it's a GOOD thing.

And, while there may be more to it than that, there is DEFINITELY a widespread perception that psychologist = drugs, psychiatrist = talk, which makes sense given that this is the main difference between the two from a patient's perspective. A lot of people go to a psychiatrist to talk, and then are referred somewhere for medications, so even if it isn't the full story, it's the bit of the iceberg that's sticking up where people run into it.
you sound confused

Reactions: 8 users
you sound confused
Just saying, it's fine to be frustrated at misinformation, but I find it very, very odd to be irritated by people who don't know whether they want to pursue psychology vs psychiatry as soon as they get to college.

The last bit was a separate note - I don't think it's that surprising/horrifying that people equate psychologist with meds. I sure as heck do, and it's not for lack of exposure to the fields (plenty of friends who went both paths, and plenty of friends/family who have utilized both branches).

I think you are mixing up psychologists with psychiatrists.

Reactions: 13 users
Just saying, it's fine to be frustrated at misinformation, but I find it very, very odd to be irritated by people who don't know whether they want to pursue psychology vs psychiatry as soon as they get to college.

The last bit was a separate note - I don't think it's that surprising/horrifying that people equate psychologist with meds. I sure as heck do, and it's not for lack of exposure to the fields (plenty of friends who went both paths, and plenty of friends/family who have utilized both branches).

Psychologist do not prescribe medications.....psychiatrist are medical doctors who have finished medical school and a residency who can prescribe medications.

Some psychiatrists do therapy and prescribe....some just do medication management.

you are definitely confusing the two.

Reactions: 3 users
Psychologist do not prescribe medications.....psychiatrist are medical doctors who have finished medical school and a residency who can prescribe medications.

Some psychiatrists do therapy and prescribe....some just do medication management.

Haha, wow...yeah, that was bad.
It's one of those days. You should have seen today's VR practice passages (did not go well).
Not editing because I don't like to pretend that I'm less stupid than I am sometimes.

They aren't all freshmen, sometimes they happen to be misinformed junior/senior pre-meds :rolleyes:

They aren't all freshmen, sometimes they happen to be misinformed junior/senior pre-meds :rolleyes:
:shrug: I was going off the 'freshmen' in your post. But hey, I didn't figure out the whole med school goal until after I graduated, and then I got everything backwards in my last few posts, so who am I to say anything?
Sorry for having a case of the stupids all over your post, btw.

Psychologists can prescribe depending on the state.

Anyway, pre-med encounter at my community project for a rural rotation:

PM: So you're a medical student at UNM right?

Me: yeah...you thinking about coming here?

PM: I don't really want to go there, I really want my MD to focus on neurosurg so I want to go to UCLA or Alabama because they are the best for that.

Me: hmmm. Sounds like a good plan! Good luck.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Psychologists can prescribe depending on the state.

Anyway, pre-med encounter at my community project for a rural rotation:

PM: So you're a medical student at UNM right?

Me: yeah...you thinking about coming here?

PM: I don't really want to go there, I really want my MD to focus on neurosurg so I want to go to UCLA or Alabama because they are the best for that.

Me: hmmm. Sounds like a good plan! Good luck.

As of 2009 and in like two states.

Honestly, I think it's crap that they can.

Reactions: 4 users
I forgot about this one. This guy was the total opposite of all those starry-eyed premeds applying to Harvard with a 3.0 and 28P:

Friend: I'm planning on applying to our state medical school, but most likely I'll end up going to the Caribbean.

Me: I don't think that's a good idea. Caribbean schools are expensive and the shortage of residencies means you might end up without a job after you graduate. You should do everything you can to get into a US school.

Friend: I know, but I don't think I have the grades anymore.

Me: Things probably aren't as bad as you think. What's your GPA?

Friend: That B I just got in Physics brought me down to a 3.89.
Yep. My sister was about to retake a 36 and her advisor was like :eek:

Reactions: 2 users
One sunny day, a female and I were having lunch:

Female: I think I'll go to medical school now.
Me: Oh? What kind of medicine are you interested in?
Female: I'm kind of into cancer; I'll be a cancer doctor! *she says excitedly*
Me: You realize you'll have to see patients and interact with them (she hates and doesn't like working with people, especially sick people)
Female: Well, it's not like I'll see them long enough, they're dying anyways.
Me: okay.. but.. *gets interrupted*
Female: Plus, if you did well in that little exam you take to go to medical school, it can't be that hard. ( umm.. :wtf: lol?)

:wow:
Please, oh powers that be.. help us from such people!

Reactions: 9 users

Me: You realize you'll have to see patients and interact with them (she hates and doesn't like working with people, especially sick people)
Female: Plus, if you did well in that little exam you take to go to medical school, it can't be that hard. ( umm.. :wtf: lol?)

I think she wants your dick bro

Reactions: 5 users
(Chance encounter with another pre-med while sorting books for a charity)

Her: "I don't get this, sorting by genre is hard, it's not just like sorting by color! I'm just not good at thinking about things!"
Me: (trying awkwardly to change the conversation before I say something snarky) "Oh, I never did ask, what are you planning to do after you graduate?"
Her: "Well, I want to go to medical school and major in psychology or occupational therapy!"

I had a fellow classmate who was inspired to go to medical school by watching "Grey's Anatomy." They told me that every time they wanted to pursue a different career, they would just imagine doing all those awesome surgeries like in Grey's Anatomy and go back to wanting to be a doctor. I really hope they got some REAL LIFE experience shadowing doctors before applying to medical school....although their personal statement might be an interesting read.:thinking:

A...female?

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 8 users
(Chance encounter with another pre-med while sorting books for a charity)

Her: "I don't get this, sorting by genre is hard, it's not just like sorting by color! I'm just not good at thinking about things!"
Me: (trying awkwardly to change the conversation before I say something snarky) "Oh, I never did ask, what are you planning to do after you graduate?"
Her: "Well, I want to go to medical school and major in psychology or occupational therapy!"
Oh sweety...thinking is hard, isn't it?

:slap:

A...female?

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
Mammalian female[edit]
A distinguishing characteristic of the class Mammalia is the presence of mammary glands. The mammary glands are modified sweat glands that produce milk, which is used to feed the young for some time after birth. Only mammals produce milk. Mammary glands are most obvious in humans, as the female human body stores large amounts of fatty tissue near the nipples, resulting in prominent breasts. Mammary glands are present in all mammals, although they are vestigial in the male of the species.

Most mammalian females have two copies of the X chromosome as opposed to the male which carries only one X and one smaller Y chromosome (but some mammals, such as the Platypus, have different combinations). To compensate for the difference in size, one of the female's X chromosomes is randomly inactivated in each cell. In birds and reptiles, by contrast, it is the female which is heterozygous and carries a Z and a W chromosome whilst the male carries two Z chromosomes.Intersex conditions can also give rise to other combinations, but this usually results in sterility.

Mammalian females bear live young (with the rare exception of monotremes, which lay eggs). Some non-mammalian species, such as guppies, have analogous reproductive structures; and some other non-mammals, such as sharks, whose eggs hatch inside their bodies, also have the appearance of bearing live young.

I wanna be a psychiatrologist.

1406645680336.jpg

I keep seeing this reference and I never knew what on earth people were going on about. Google cleared that up. But, would someone really loose their medical license if they harmed someone while performing CPR?
I don't think so.

I know a pre-pod who said that a residency trained podiatrist who attends a podiatric fellowship is more qualified for F/A procedures than a F/A ortho. lulz amirite?

I keep seeing this reference and I never knew what on earth people were going on about. Google cleared that up. But, would someone really loose their medical license if they harmed someone while performing CPR?
Only if the person had no need for CPR in the first place...

There was this girl in my sophomore O-chem lab that talked about how she was going to be a "pediatric cardiothoracic transplant surgeon". She didn't even know what a residency was, or even a fellowship was. When I brought up that cardiothoracic surgeons typically have another 7-8 years of residency+fellowship after med school, she told me that she would aim for four because shed just "take extra summer classes". It was unbelievable. All she talked about was how she would be making $500,000 plus after school. This same girl didnt even have the dexterity to handle glassware without breaking it and used an old lab from previous years to complete all the write ups. :smack:

The worst part is her father is a surgeon at a very well respected hospital and serves on the admissions board of our University's medical school. She also told me how he and a dean of this top 10 med school were best friends back in India and he is a frequent visitor at her home. It makes me sick to my stomach that she probably will get into a top tier med school with ease while the rest of us without connections have to fight tooth and nail. This is why I do not have a problem with URMs getting preference and overall holistic approaches to admission, because otherwise schools would be filled with people like her. (I'm not a URM btw.)
I don't think connections really help as much as people tend to think, especially not to overcome that level of density.

I know a pre-pod who said that a residency trained podiatrist who attends a podiatric fellowship is more qualified for F/A procedures than a F/A ortho. lulz amirite?

I don't know the answer to this, but podiatrists make a good case. Namely, they spend years focused on nothing but the foot and ankle, while orthos just do a 1yr (2yr?) fellowship studying it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't crack a few ribs, you're not doing it right.

Reactions: 9 users

This is true. Also at least in my state you can't be sued for assisting unless it was grossly negligent.

Especially when people want you to code their 90+year-old grandma...

I wish these jerks could feel what I'm feeling everytime I'm crunching bones.

I was at a party last night and talking to a "pseudo" MS4 (the mutual friend had introduced him as a MS4) who was playing up his previous connections to the school. After further conversation with him it turned out, he was not applying to residencies and had left the program due to personal issues and dropping grades. He said he was planning to go finish his clinical clerkship at Ross University because they had a "branch" in the area and one of the hospitals in the area had Ross students doing rotations there.

I don't think he really realized how much he had screwed himself over by dropping out.

My sister and I were playing Scrabble a few weeks before I started school. She puts down the word "shin"

me: what's shin?

(awkward silence)

ohhhh right! :idea:

her: how did you get into med school?! :slap:
Don't worry! My brother plays scrabble competitively, and...

me: *makes play*
him: Bus? Bus? What kind of a word is that?

What do you think about those high schoolers/undergraduate freshman who read medical books like surgical manuals for fun? Weird/neurotic or not? I swear I've met about 15 people who say theve done this
lol my sister started reading my mother's medical texts when she was 5-6 yrs old. Obviously she didn't understand anything, but she's at a top 10 MSTP now, so I guess she did something right :rolleyes:

guess who I'm constantly compared to :mad:

I once got into an argument with someone on whether a DO could write prescriptions.

I once got into an argument with someone on whether a DO could write prescriptions.

Just tonight I was compared to a glorified chiropractor.

Doesn't bother me tho. That person wasn't accepted this year and decided to go to PA school instead. Hehe

Just tonight I was compared to a glorified chiropractor.

Doesn't bother me tho. That person wasn't accepted this year and decided to go to PA school instead. Hehe

I actually got alot of love for PAs but dammit that is some funny shizzzzz

On our undergraduate class (2016) Facebook page:

"My friend wants to be a Radiologist, and would like to know if (Our University) offers a Radiology Major."

My university has a radiologic science major or something like that...obviously you can't get certified as a radiologist after finishing the major but I guess it could make sense...like people who think they want to do neurology might major in neurosci or something. Idk. It's not as bad as it sounds imo.

I actually got alot of love for PAs but dammit that is some funny shizzzzz

Ha. I sound like im putting down PAs, but that's not what I meant. More along the lines of their plan B was not to become a physician, but a PA instead. I don't even have a problem with Chiros, I'm just very proud of becoming a DO.

Ha. I sound like im putting down PAs, but that's not what I meant. More along the lines of their plan B was not to become a physician, but a PA instead. I don't even have a problem with Chiros, I'm just very proud of becoming a DO.

Yea I get what you mean I was just trying to clarify that for you. I'm proud of becoming a DO also.

Don't feminists hate rape jokes?
:corny:
Le sigh.

Feminists hate rape jokes that are making fun of rape victims. There is no subject that is too out there for humor IMO, but it all depends on who is the butt of the joke. Here it's obviously Tobias for his lack of understanding of what his words actually mean/look like which is a running gag throughout the show. Not making fun of rape victims, so not a problem.

There are also plenty of other jokes about rape which I find hilarious including Wanda Skyes detachable p.ussy bit, Sarah Silverman's bit about how rape is one of the easiest subjects to talk about in comedy, Louis CK's bit about how dangerous men are for women (George Carlin also had a few jokes to that effect as well) The reason why these are all funny/not offensive is because they don't make fun of rape victims, they make fun of rapists or the general cultural ideas about rape.

Reactions: 12 users
im a non traditional applicant and was gchatted by an old classmate earlier this year (april/march)

him: hey dedicated1989 hows it going? long time no talk, are you still applying to medical school…i just decided to apply
me: oh really? thats awesome , when did you decide that
him: like last week, my job is really hard and I think medical school would be more fun…I just applied
me: you just applied? its like so late…the primary app was still accessible?
him: what primary app? I just mailed all the required documents listed on each schools website
me: …...

A pre med college freshman, after asking me about what medical school is like, even after I explained that I'm only an incoming MS1:

"What MCAT version did you take? Did you take the new 2015 version?"

Me: "It's 2014."

Reactions: 10 users
im a non traditional applicant and was gchatted by an old classmate earlier this year (april/march)

him: hey dedicated1989 hows it going? long time no talk, are you still applying to medical school…i just decided to apply
me: oh really? thats awesome , when did you decide that
him: like last week, my job is really hard and I think medical school would be more fun…I just applied
me: you just applied? its like so late…the primary app was still accessible?
him: what primary app? I just mailed all the required documents listed on each schools website
me: …...
Oh my. And here I was wondering why all these schools reiterate not to send letters directly.

Le sigh.

Feminists hate rape jokes that are making fun of rape victims. There is no subject that is too out there for humor IMO, but it all depends on who is the butt of the joke. Here it's obviously Tobias for his lack of understanding of what his words actually mean/look like which is a running gag throughout the show. Not making fun of rape victims, so not a problem.

There are also plenty of other jokes about rape which I find hilarious including Wanda Skyes detachable p.ussy bit, Sarah Silverman's bit about how rape is one of the easiest subjects to talk about in comedy, Louis CK's bit about how dangerous men are for women (George Carlin also had a few jokes to that effect as well) The reason why these are all funny/not offensive is because they don't make fun of rape victims, they make fun of rapists or the general cultural ideas about rape.
I agree with you, actually, despite the vaguely smug sigh.

Here is why the "le sigh" is a bit smug, because pages like everday femenism and upworth claim the opposite of what you are saying.
An example from just today:
http://www.upworthy.com/3-posters-about-rape-culture-that-are-totally-worth-sharing?c=ufb1

Just poking a bit of fun at how bastardized things have become :poke: Enough derailment from me though.

Le sigh.

I like to stay closer to academic feminism than the Women's studies 101 blogsphere. Everyday feminism has a lot of over simplification which bugs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.