Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Student 2: PLUS... We will get instant scores!
:nod:Instant score my bum. That month of waiting for score... +pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't even the first. Sulfa drugs were used as antibiotics before WWII.

Reactions: 4 users
"I'm going to apply for both med school and PhD in Chemistry and go to whichever I'm accepted to"

-says someone who is struggling to pass OChem 1

Another person:

"Oh yeah I'm taking MCAT this month, and no I don't have time to study"

Then she said that she never studies for any of her classes and will do just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Person: "I want to do an MD PhD because I want to do research but don't like the clinical side of things, I just want the MD because you get a better salary. I have a 2.5 GPA but I'm hoping the MCAT will make up for that"

Me: "........well good luck!"

Reactions: 6 users
I always wonder what MD/PhD applicants say in interviews. I know you can't say you want to just because "I like/want to do research" but what about the opposite side.

A friend of mine who is a first year in the MD/PhD program at Hopkins told me she prefers that path because she really hates the clinical aspect, and is not good with/nor likes people in general. Like hearing that, my jaw dropped lol.

Student: "I just got a B+ on O-chem 2!! No med school will want me!! Somebody get me a McDonald's Application!!"
Me: or maybe you can either move on from it and improve after that; worst comes to worst, there's plenty of other options in the healthcare field, which are as rewarding as an MD like PA/ Nurse/ PT/ OT/ CRNA...
Student: "but... but... PAs make no where enough money to start a family or buy a mansion!!"
me: :yawn: --> ...cool story bro...

This would be funny if these same people actually had bad stats though...

Last edited by a moderator:
here's another one... this is a bit nuanced but bugs me slightly....

"my major is premed"
Me: you keep using that word premed, but I don't think you know what it means...

when premeds (usually males) use that phrase to impress individuals of the opposite sex, and said opposite sex is charmed by said pick-up line

Me: :bang:

Reactions: 3 users
here's another one... this is a bit nuanced but bugs me slightly....

"my major is premed"
Me: you keep using that word premed, but I don't think you know what it means...

when premeds (usually males) use that phrase to impress individuals of the opposite sex, and said opposite sex is charmed by said pick-up line

Me: :bang:

Premed tool: "my major is premed"
girl: "oh, take me right now HHHNNNGGGG"

Reactions: 5 users

Sadly, I know some girls at my school who think these guys are the real deal... and are guaranteed a spot in med school... in truth these guys most likely are sporting a 2.5-3.2

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't that the beginning scene in the show Real Premeds of Jersey Shore Season 1 episode 1?

Not a quote, but a short story definitely worth sharing here.

There's a premed student in my biology class who lacks some basic social skills (and unfortunately, this does not come from the direction of shyness, but of cockiness). He was applying to the same ER volunteering program I was, and we ended up at the same orientation, which was a 4 hour orientation starting at 8am. He showed up 15 minutes late, and immediately upon walking into the room, put his head down on the table and started falling asleep. :eek:

He only said two things the entire orientation: "Do we get free food at the cafeteria?" and "I'm thinking of just going to the Caribbean because I don't want to deal with admission committees.":slap:

I know I've been posting a lot and too many posts are redundant... but I another "less-informed" premed quote... from yesterday...

Premed tool: "OMG! Look how low the stats are for the Puerto Rican Med schools!! It'll be a breeze getting in!"

He doesn't know Spanish also...

Last edited by a moderator:
"If you start a degree and have bad grades, just terminate it and start a new one. Med schools don't look at terminated degrees!"

Reactions: 6 users
"If you start a degree and have bad grades, just terminate it and start a new one. Med schools don't look at terminated degrees!"

That's pretty ridiculous. Did you correct them?

In the vein of people saying they are premed majors, I have actually come across some resumes of people who obviously didn't go to medical school listing that they graduated with a degree in premed.

Cringe.

In the vein of people saying they are premed majors, I have actually come across some resumes of people who obviously didn't go to medical school listing that they graduated with a degree in premed.

Cringe.

Haha. I saw a resume for a job at my company from someone who studied entrepreneurship.

There's a premed student in my biology class who lacks some basic social skills (and unfortunately, this does not come from the direction of shyness, but of cockiness). He was applying to the same ER volunteering program I was, and we ended up at the same orientation, which was a 4 hour orientation starting at 8am. He showed up 15 minutes late, and immediately upon walking into the room, put his head down on the table and started falling asleep. :eek:

He only said two things the entire orientation: "Do we get free food at the cafeteria?" and "I'm thinking of just going to the Caribbean because I don't want to deal with admission committees.":slap:

This would be me (except for the carribean part)

Bizarre. Not only does the whole concept of that major not make any sense, but to apply to work for a company after you finish…

Two thoughts on that.

1) Just because you get a degree in something doesn't mean you have any actual talent for it, and at least until we adopt an economy based upon a guaranteed basic income grant, ya gotta work to eat/live.

2) Entrepreneurs sometimes need to raise starting capital, and employment isn't a bad way to do that. One of my family members worked in food service part time to raise the funds to pay for business assets that stand to earn him six figures next year.

But yeah, it is kinda hilarious if you don't think about it.

Two thoughts on that.

1) Just because you get a degree in something doesn't mean you have any actual talent for it, and at least until we adopt an economy based upon a guaranteed basic income grant, ya gotta work to eat/live.

2) Entrepreneurs sometimes need to raise starting capital, and employment isn't a bad way to do that. One of my family members worked in food service part time to raise the funds to pay for business assets that stand to earn him six figures next year.

It basically advertises to future employers 'yeah, I do not plan to stick with your company...or I am incapable of following through/succeeding at my goals'

Same with 'premed' majors. For some jobs that doesn't matter. But it still doesn't really help you in any way.

Two thoughts on that.

Your first point is valid except that entrepreneurs are supposed to be creative and forward-thinking and come up with things others have not. Can you really teach someone to do that? If not, the degree is not as advertised.

As for the 2nd comment, look at it from the employer's standpoint:

I'm looking to hire someone who will be with me for awhile - not someone who's just looking to make some quick money so they can turn around and start up their own shop (possibly even in my field so they can compete with me). The entire concept behind becoming an entrepreneur is NOT to work for someone else.

Why don't they just list their major as "business?"

Wasn't even the first. Sulfa drugs were used as antibiotics before WWII.
Don't forget about the little slip up where they started using diethlylene glycol to make the elixir sulfanilamide. Whoops...would you like some antifreeze with that?

I have friends like this I could see doing this too, unfortunately. Academically they're okay, but I really hope they don't end up seeing any patients unless they stop being ****s.

Last edited:
Bizarre. Not only does the whole concept of that major not make any sense, but to apply to work for a company after you finish…
Well, applying to the typical sort of company would probably warrant some odd looks, but apparently it's a bit of a leg up if you're applying to recent start-ups.
They have lots of classes in getting funding, patent applications, business strategies, marketing, etc, etc. Plus some mandatory internship experiences.

Well, applying to the typical sort of company would probably warrant some odd looks, but apparently it's a bit of a leg up if you're applying to recent start-ups.
They have lots of classes in getting funding, patent applications, business strategies, marketing, etc, etc. Plus some mandatory internship experiences.
Then get a business major and take those classes...mention them in your application to the startup and not in the other. Now you are a good candidate for both!

Then get a business major and take those classes...mention them in your application to the startup and not in the other. Now you are a good candidate for both!
After 7 years, the family is just happy that my brother is about to graduate with any degree. It took 5 years to talk him out of the Physics major that clearly wasn't working out, we're not about to give him flak over this major.

After 7 years, the family is just happy that my brother is about to graduate with any degree. It took 5 years to talk him out of the Physics major that clearly wasn't working out, we're not about to give him flak over this major.
My physics I TA was a eighth year physics major. He had like a 1.4 GPA but was still going for the degree.

My physics I TA was a eighth year physics major. He had like a 1.4 GPA but was still going for the degree.
Apparently his family wasn't willing to do an intervention...

The person in my example WAS NOT applying to a start-up. Far from it.

An ignorant pre-med overheard me discussing osteopathic medical schools with a co-worker of mine. My co-worker and I are both in the process of applying to both MD and DO programs.

Pre-med: "I just don't understand why anyone would want to become a DO. It's not like it's a legitimate form of medicine. I don't know why they require such high MCAT scores, like a 28 or 29. I had the opportunity to join a fast-track DO program, but I didn't do well enough on the test and I am thankful because I know I want to become an MD."

Also, said pre-med doesn't think it's a good idea for anyone to take time off between undergrad and medical school.

EDIT: I am a non-trad applicant who has worked in a lab for 2+ years and was recently accepted to an osteopathic medical school. Took a lot for me to hold my tongue in a professional setting with these comments.

Reactions: 8 users
Not a premed, but I had a friend (in a grad program for another healthcare role) tell me she's glad I went MD because DOs don't have the same abilities as MDs. Confused (since in my mind they are one in the same) I asked her to clarify. She claimed DOs can't write out scripts for all the things MD can

I tired to explain they are different avenues to the same goal (and residency is more important than letters) but she was very adamant that there was a huge difference

Starting to think anyone who wants to go into healthcare should get a crash course on the different roles....

Reactions: 5 users
An ignorant pre-med overheard me discussing osteopathic medical schools with a co-worker of mine. My co-worker and I are both in the process of applying to both MD and DO programs.

Pre-med: "I just don't understand why anyone would want to become a DO. It's not like it's a legitimate form of medicine. I don't know why they require such high MCAT scores, like a 28 or 29. I had the opportunity to join a fast-track DO program, but I didn't do well enough on the test and I am thankful because I know I want to become an MD."

Also, said pre-med doesn't think it's a good idea for anyone to take time off between undergrad and medical school.

EDIT: I am a non-trad applicant who has worked in a lab for 2+ years and was recently accepted to an osteopathic medical school. Took a lot for me to hold my tongue in a professional setting with these comments.

Probably just bitter they didn't make it into DO school

Here's a convo I had with a girl I kinda know who sits by me in genetics

Her: "You're a CNA right?"

Me: "Yea, but I'm applying to med school after I graduate from here. What are you looking to go into? "

Her: "I'm not sure if I want to do PA or medical school, PA would be my first choice, but med school is a lot easier to get in to."

Me (Thinking wait, what??): "Uhhhh, no it's not?"

Her: "Yea it is! Only like 1/20 people get in to PA school where as like 1/3 get in to med school!"

Me: "K but you have to look at the average stats of the people that get acce-"

Her: "I like PA better though because it takes less time to graduate, you're gonna be in school for like forever!!"

I gave up at that point.

A friend of mine who is taking the MCAT soon asked me if the writing section is computerized or not. Poor guy. He said he's been studying hard for months.

A friend of mine who is taking the MCAT soon asked me if the writing section is computerized or not. Poor guy. He said he's been studying hard for months.
Regarding the MCAT writing section: Your friend was as informed as the MDApp.

Regarding the MCAT writing section: Your friend was as informed as the MDApp.
Ha, so true. I'm amazed they still haven't coded in a way to circumvent needing to put in a writing score. It's so lazy.

While not coming from a misinformed pre-med, it still relates to pre-med:

While volunteering yesterday, I encountered an older lady who was convinced that president Obama was solely to blame for her sickness and being in the hospital!
She kept repeating it over and over.
:eek:

Was she from Fox News?

While volunteering yesterday, I encountered an older lady who was convinced that president Obama was solely to blame for her sickness and being in the hospital!

Reactions: 25 users
I spoke to this kid I kind of grew up with about what he was doing for undergrad. He stated that he was working on a double major in biology and business and was also getting a minor in chemistry. I asked him why; He stated that he wanted to become an MD and run a business all at once. Weeks later, he proceeds to post photos on snapchat of 0% on homework assignments and failed exam grades.

I just dont understand how some people can be so unrealistic. We sit here and worry that our 3.9GPAs, 27+ mCat, and ECs wont get us into medschool but people like that seem so confident.

On the "Majoring in pre-med" topic - I tell people I'm pre-med. I don't say I'm a premed major, but it is already understood that it is a biology major with a chem minor. That's typically why I say that.

The dentist's office incorrectly billed my mother last week and when she called them to complain they told her, and I quote, that it was "because of Obama."

Status
Not open for further replies.