Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed; you never know these days! I've been presumptuous thinking a Mexican Woman was a lab-tech when she was actually a general surgeon.
After volunteering for about a year now, I just expect the unexpected!
Hopefully, someday it will no longer BE the unexpected!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a male! I am very short, and I think that off-puts people (stereo typing on height?). I feel like they will have to lower the OR table for me in the future one day LOL.

Right, people can be sensitive, and I genuinely did not mean offense to the nurses.

How funny! (Not making fun of you, though.)

I'm a rather tall, broad woman. I still get "you should be a nurse" comments- mostly from my friends! I haven't done a lot of shadowing... I'm doing that over this semester.

But it confuses me how many of my 20-something friends think I should be a nurse, since that's the traditional role that women fit in... I don't mind nurses, my mom was one. They know a lot about their floors, and that's from experience. I admire that. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed; you never know these days! I've been presumptuous thinking a Mexican Woman was a lab-tech when she was actually a general surgeon.

.......awkward.

It is hard to get that kind of egg off your face. Good on you for admitting it. Life is about learning, and sometimes the lessons are uncomfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a rather tall, broad woman. I still get "you should be a nurse" comments- mostly from my friends! I haven't done a lot of shadowing... I'm doing that over this semester.s

But it confuses me how many of my 20-something friends think I should be a nurse, since that's the traditional role that women fit in... I don't mind nurses, my mom was one. They know a lot about their floors, and that's from experience. I admire that. :)
I like being short; I imagine myself walking into a room to meet an extremely tall family before surgery lol. I'm sure my height will make a few of the family members concerned or at least get a few laughs! I tell all my capable women friends to become doctors! However, this is changing because as SDN has shown me the mentality of: if you can do anything else, do that.
Good for you, the haters gonna hate..

On the converse, there are plenty of countries that don't require all this hoopla and produce pretty damn good doctors from students that apply while they're in high school. This delayed decision making, lots of hoops, 'experiences' etc., are mostly an American thing.

The english system combines 2 years of undergrad (preclinical) with 3 years of clinicals. Last I checked, England has a history of training damn good doctors.

While I often drink the kool aid and have done a lot of stuff personally related to medicine due to my own interests, you cannot discount the influence and power that undergrad institutions and lobbying groups wield when it comes to post-graduate study. There are a lot of ways that work. I'm not even sure if our system trains better doctors, more empathetic doctors, or what have you. It just trains doctors that are necessarily older when they finish their training.

Even our current system produces some a-hole doctors, sure that doesn't mean it's not valid, but show me how it's better than that in other countries. I haven't seen any data to support this. We just have a crap ton more money here due to our system (salary included) and our students have an insane amount of debt when they finally graduate from school.

our system produces some a-holes, but even the worst who manage to survive 4 years of med school are generally competent a-holes.

...but until you work with a few MBBS graduates that are flat out SCARY around patients, you'll apprecaite the LCME system for what it is.

Reactions: 3 users
.......awkward.

It is hard to get that kind of egg off your face. Good on you for admitting it. Life is about learning, and sometimes the lessons are uncomfortable.
@Promethean I feel like I learned relatively quickly. As an anecdote, I could think of hundreds of professional people who are racist, prejudiced, all-assuming, and say the words like ******ed and gay, etc.
Some learn more than others..

I like being short; I imagine myself walking into a room to meet an extremely tall family before surgery lol. I'm sure my height will make a few of the family members concerned or at least get a few laughs! I tell all my capable women friends to become doctors! However, this is changing because as SDN has shown me the mentality of: if you can do anything else, do that.
Good for you, the haters gonna hate..
For what it's worth, it seems that being too tall can be more of an issue in the OR. There are always steps, but if you are a tall intern working with a shorter surgeon, your neck will hate you. I heard a talk by a panel of female surgeons, and when height came up they remarked that they took better care of their bodies because they were so used to having to take steps to be comfortable, and were just used to being cognizant of proper positioning.

Back in my orgo lab class:
Me: So you're premed?
Lab Partner: Yea
Me: Take the mcat yet?
Lab Partner: Nah, I scheduled it for next month.
Me: Dam, you must be studying like crazy!!!!
Lab Partner: Nah, I didn't study for the SAT in HS and I killed it. MCAT is the same way, right?

She ended up with a 19 lmao

Reactions: 12 users
Back in my orgo lab class:
Me: So you're premed?
Lab Partner: Yea
Me: Take the mcat yet?
Lab Partner: Nah, I scheduled it for next month.
Me: Dam, you must be studying like crazy!!!!
Lab Partner: Nah, I didn't study for the SAT in HS and I killed it. MCAT is the same way, right?

She ended up with a 19 lmao
A DO student to me said gravely: Don't underestimate the MCAT; it's a beast.

I'm a rather tall, broad woman. I still get "you should be a nurse" comments- mostly from my friends! I haven't done a lot of shadowing... I'm doing that over this semester.

Absolutely nobody who knows me (female) has ever suggested I go into nursing. Literally not once. But one time, I was doing some pre-EMT-certification clinical work in the ED, and some random family member of a patient asked me, "Are you studying to become a nurse?"
"No, I'm working on a certification to become an EMT." (Wasn't considering medical school then.)
"Oh, you're going to be such a good nurse!"
"I... uh, thanks."

Absolutely nobody who knows me (female) has ever suggested I go into nursing. Literally not once. But one time, I was doing some pre-EMT-certification clinical work in the ED, and some random family member of a patient asked me, "Are you studying to become a nurse?"
"No, I'm working on a certification to become an EMT." (Wasn't considering medical school then.)
"Oh, you're going to be such a good nurse!"
"I... uh, thanks."
LOL that probably would have been my response.

"Yeah, uh... thank you?"

My mom's a nurse, so her friends try to pressure me to be a nurse instead because of their own biases against physicians. I appreciate their skill, but no part of the team needs to bash the other parts. ^^

our system produces some a-holes, but even the worst who manage to survive 4 years of med school are generally competent a-holes.

...but until you work with a few MBBS graduates that are flat out SCARY around patients, you'll apprecaite the LCME system for what it is.

The people I've worked with that have come from the English and Dutch systems have been awesome. Can't speak for other countries.

Can't think of a funny quote at the top of my head, but I often get looks of shock or disdain when I say that I'm an English major. Ironic, considering that I attend a small liberal arts college. At the beginning of the semester, one professor actually asked me in what I interpreted as an accusatory tone why I wasn't a science major. She seemed to take it back and warm up to me when I ended up being one of 2 or 3 people who consistently made As or high Bs on her exams. (Half of my class got <Cs)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can't think of a funny quote at the top of my head, but I often get looks of shock or disdain when I say that I'm an English major. Ironic, considering that I attend a small liberal arts college. At the beginning of the semester, one professor actually asked me in what I interpreted as an accusatory tone why I wasn't a science major. She seemed to take it back and warm up to me when I ended up being one of 2 or 3 people that consistently made As or high Bs on her exams. (Half of my class got <Cs)
You're an English major? Well herpdty derp derp. But you want to be a doctor!
That is funny I haven't personally met a pre-med English major yet. Very impressive.

Can't think of a funny quote at the top of my head, but I often get looks of shock or disdain when I say that I'm an English major. Ironic, considering that I attend a small liberal arts college. At the beginning of the semester, one professor actually asked me in what I interpreted as an accusatory tone why I wasn't a science major. She seemed to take it back and warm up to me when I ended up being one of 2 or 3 people that consistently made As or high Bs on her exams. (Half of my class got <Cs)

I'm your antithesis! Math major myself.

Good Lord, I'm a terrible writer. I admire your all's skills.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm your antithesis! Math major myself.

Good Lord, I'm a terrible writer. I admire your all's skills.
I, in turn, have much respect for you and your kind. I call it quits after pre-cal and biostats.

LOL that probably would have been my response.

"Yeah, uh... thank you?"

My mom's a nurse, so her friends try to pressure me to be a nurse instead because of their own biases against physicians. I appreciate their skill, but no part of the team needs to bash the other parts. ^^

I thought my family would do the same. Two of my great aunts are nurses and one aunt is a LPN. The great aunts were so happy I chose to go to medical school. They talk about it with others with pride.

My aunt who's the LPN.....not so much.

I thought my family would do the same. Two of my great aunts are nurses and one aunt is a LPN. The great aunts were so happy I chose to go to medical school. They talk about it with others with pride.

My aunt who's the LPN.....not so much.

My mom's an LPN!

She does a more corporate role now, which explains for the most part why she kept her skin out of the game. My dad manages maintenance people in a hospital and he's delighted that I'm going to try for medical school.

You're an English major? Well herpdty derp derp. But you want to be a doctor!
That is funny I haven't personally met a pre-med English major yet. Very impressive.
Yes sirree! (If you're female I apologize lol) I admit that a few practical benefits were a factor in my decision, but above all I have a genuine passion for reading and writing. Striving to fulfill both English major requirements and med school prereqs has me a bit behind the rest of my peers, but honestly I think it is worth the trouble. I just hope that the foundation I get in English courses can give me an edge in MCAT verbal, research papers, personal statement, etc.

Last edited:
My mom's an LPN!

She does a more corporate role now, which explains for the most part why she kept her skin out of the game. My dad manages maintenance people in a hospital and he's delighted that I'm going to try for medical school.

The thing she hates about me going to med school is that she wants to be the one with the most education in the family.

I'm like dude my mom and myself have already passed you with a bachelor's degree.

The thing she hates about me going to med school is that she wants to be the one with the most education in the family.

I'm like dude my mom and myself have already passed you with a bachelor's degree.

Lolwut

I'm going to be the highest educated out of my siblings with my bachelor's- which my dad has. He got his through service as an MP.

I won't be the highest educated of the family if/until I graduate medical school- my aunt has a master's in math. She's a bit of a space cadet and her son (my only by-blood cousin) is an absolute terror. He's the most self-centered, conceited, arrogant prick I ever thought I could meet in a five-year-old body.

Yes sirree! (If you're female I apologize lol) I admit that a few practical benefits were a factor in my decision, but above all I have a genuine passion for reading and writing. Striving to fulfill both English major requirements and med school prereqs has me a bit behind the rest of my peers, but honestly I think it's worth the trouble. I just hope that the foundation I get in English courses can give me an edge in MCAT verbal, research papers, personal statement, etc.
I personally love reading and writing. I wish I had the talent! You are pursuing what you like and that, is admirable.

I won't be the highest educated of the family if/until I graduate medical school- my aunt has a master's in math. She's a bit of a space cadet and her son (my only by-blood cousin) is an absolute terror. He's the most self-centered, conceited, arrogant prick I ever thought I could meet in a five-year-old body.

Yikes! Cut him a little slack. 5 year olds are supposed to be little psychopaths. If he hasn't cut it out and become a decent kid by 10 or so, write him off. =)

Reactions: 4 users
Yet another chance for me to mention that I have several wonderful, brilliant clinical colleagues (both MD and DOs) who were English majors!

Can't think of a funny quote at the top of my head, but I often get looks of shock or disdain when I say that I'm an English major. Ironic, considering that I attend a small liberal arts college. At the beginning of the semester, one professor actually asked me in what I interpreted as an accusatory tone why I wasn't a science major. She seemed to take it back and warm up to me when I ended up being one of 2 or 3 people who consistently made As or high Bs on her exams. (Half of my class got <Cs)

Yet another chance for me to mention that I have several wonderful, brilliant clinical colleagues (both MD and DOs) who were English majors!
That's really great to hear! I know I'm no special snowflake by any means; there's plenty of prospective and current med students who majored in English. I just haven't met them yet. (And I look forward to it!)

Yikes! Cut him a little slack. 5 year olds are supposed to be little psychopaths. If he hasn't cut it out and become a decent kid by 10 or so, write him off. =)

I would normally be quite lenient; but he went to Christmas with us last year and nearly kicked my grandmother's door down, stabbed my air-mattress with a knitting needle, broke all my sisters expensive art pencils (which he had to open her things to find and break), and unwrapped everyone's presents and screeched like a banshee when we told him that the presents belong to other people.

He hasn't gotten any better, apparently- he dropped the f-bomb on the playground and his teacher detained him, distraught.

Teacher(harried): You know you said a bad word, right?
Him: Yeah, I said *f-bomb*!

So, yeah, normally I'd agree with you. But yeah, I've got my reasons.

Reactions: 5 users
giphy.gif

Why don't you push him down the stairs? @Conflagration

:highfive:

English Minor here!

Thought about English Major for a while, but that would have required a year of Shakespeare and a year of Poetry at my university.... so I said "Nope. I'm a Bio Major."

Yeah. I no longer assume anyone's role in a healthcare setting.

The one who destroyed all my preconceptions about healthcare roles was a 5'2" female who I originally pegged at ~30 years, ~100 pounds, and most likely a scribe or a researcher observing the placement of some rods during spinal surgery.

Turns out, SHE WAS the spinal surgeon. She stood on a stool most of the time and gave orders like a drill sergeant. When she finally took off her scrubs, I could see she was more ripped than any of the (male) residents in the room.

I would normally be quite lenient; but he went to Christmas with us last year and nearly kicked my grandmother's door down, stabbed my air-mattress with a knitting needle, broke all my sisters expensive art pencils (which he had to open her things to find and break), and unwrapped everyone's presents and screeched like a banshee when we told him that the presents belong to other people.

220px-Goodson.jpg

:highfive:

English Minor here!

Thought about English Major for a while, but that would have required a year of Shakespeare and a year of Poetry at my university.... so I said "Nope. I'm a Bio Major."
Awesome! I regard majors and minors as more or less the same. My degree plan is yours switched: English major and Biology minor. :p Shakespeare is also required at my school, though there's more freedom in the writing elective requirement. Though I like reading poetry, trying to write one is hard for me and I'm more of a fiction/prose person. Creative writing workshops are the best. :)

Awesome! I regard majors and minors as more or less the same. My degree plan is yours switched: English major and Biology minor. :p Shakespeare is also required at my school, though there's more freedom in the writing elective requirement. Though I like reading poetry, trying to write one is hard for me and I'm more of a fiction/prose person. Creative writing workshops are the best. :)

Yeah, I prefer novels (short stories are fine also). So looking at years of studying mediums I dislike was (sorta) the deciding factor in what I majored in.

Anyway, I think we're getting away from the point of this thread. Sorry for the diversion.

My roommate was an English major and teacher. Does very well and a couple of the professors love him. The guy that sits next to me was a Philosophy major. Decent classmate, but likes to make philosophical/ethical arguments with the wrong professors at the wrong time.

As to premeds: We went around the room and introduced ourselves in the MCAT course. One girl pipes up "I'm a double Chemisty/Biology major with an Anthropology minor, I'm going be a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon". Our instructor just shakes her head and goes "Well, ladies and gentlemen, there's your gunner". Was she ever- She'd snatch a seat in the front row if anyone was a few minutes late, any break she'd pull out sheet music and play air piano, and ask the most innane questions given any opportunity.

Had one try to convince me that I needed to forget about DO and just go Carib."But you'd at least be an MD!"

Once classmates found out I was actively working as Paramedic. "OMG, what's the grossest thing you've ever seen?", "You're bound to get in somewhere, you're old",

Reactions: 10 users
My roommate was an English major and teacher. Does very well and a couple of the professors love him. The guy that sits next to me was a Philosophy major. Decent classmate, but likes to make philosophical/ethical arguments with the wrong professors at the wrong time.

As to premeds: We went around the room and introduced ourselves in the MCAT course. One girl pipes up "I'm a double Chemisty/Biology major with an Anthropology minor, I'm going be a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon". Our instructor just shakes her head and goes "Well, ladies and gentlemen, there's your gunner". Was she ever- She'd snatch a seat in the front row if anyone was a few minutes late, any break she'd pull out sheet music and play air piano, and ask the most innane questions given any opportunity.

Had one try to convince me that I needed to forget about DO and just go Carib."But you'd at least be an MD!"

Once classmates found out I was actively working as Paramedic. "OMG, what's the grossest thing you've ever seen?", "You're bound to get in somewhere, you're old",
My condolences to your sanity.
You are a nicer person; I probably would have told air-piano-girl to put a sock in it.

It isn't school related, but it is a funny quote.

My grandma took me shopping for Christmas because I'm apparently too weird to just buy stuff for. We were at the mall and an asian man walks by and she points him out to me and, knowing I'm learning Aikido, she tells me much too loudly, "Look! An oriental! You should ask if he knows karate."

Wat?! No, leave the poor man alone and stop being so....that.

Yes sirree! (If you're female I apologize lol) I admit that a few practical benefits were a factor in my decision, but above all I have a genuine passion for reading and writing. Striving to fulfill both English major requirements and med school prereqs has me a bit behind the rest of my peers, but honestly I think Tis worth the trouble. I just hope that the foundation I get in English courses can give me an edge in MCAT verbal, research papers, personal statement, etc.
I wish that I had more English classes in my undergraduate degree for those exact reasons, but all of my science classes were so ingrained with research that I ended up doing pretty well on everything. I did, however, manage an amazing score of 3 on my first MCAT verbal section; don't eat Pad Thai the night before your test because food poisoning is terrible! I took the test again and got 7 points higher after countless hours of reading the New York Times.

I've actually been published, too! It was just for creative writing, which I excel at. It took me about 8 years to graduate with my undergraduate degree because I was a music major for 3 years and played saxophone professionally for awhile. Even though that's a long period of time to graduate, I wouldn't trade my musical knowledge or getting to play in places like Carnegie Hall for anything. It makes happy to hear about other premed's having diverse backgrounds! After all, no one wants to talk to Egon from Ghost Busters every day.

I wish that I had more English classes in my undergraduate degree for those exact reasons, but all of my science classes were so ingrained with research that I ended up doing pretty well on everything. I did, however, manage an amazing score of 3 on my first MCAT verbal section; don't eat Pad Thai the night before your test because food poisoning is terrible! I took the test again and got 7 points higher after countless hours of reading the New York Times.

I've actually been published, too! Twas just for creative writing, which I excel at. It took me about 8 years to graduate with my undergraduate degree because I was a music major for 3 years and played saxophone professionally for awhile. Even though that's a long period of time to graduate, I wouldn't trade my musical knowledge or getting to play in places like Carnegie Hall for anything. It makes happy to hear about other premed's having diverse backgrounds! After all, no one wants to talk to Egon from Ghost Busters every day.
Oh, and I love the Kill la Kill picture.

It isn't school related, but it is a funny quote.

My grandma took me shopping for Christmas because I'm apparently too weird to just buy stuff for. We were at the mall and an asian man walks by and she points him out to me and, knowing I'm learning Aikido, she tells me much too loudly, "Look! An oriental! You should ask if he knows karate."

Wat?! No, leave the poor man alone and stop being so....that.
NICE HAT

If we're sharing family stories, @J Senpai...

I was 7 and my family all went to Disney World. It was June, and hotter than the fifth circle of hell, so we went to Typhoon Lagoon.

My mom picks a chair to sunbathe in, and the rest of us wait in line for the Lazy River (which is essentially a glorified moat that you can float around in an inner tube to travel).

So my dad is in front of my siblings and I, and we're behind this pregnant woman. She had to be at least 8 months along, and was too pregnant to put herself into the raft. So, a group of men were lowering this woman into the raft. But, no one had the cognizance to hold the raft. So, they just kept lowering her, and the force was enough to cause the raft to drift away.

My dad was pissed after three times of this, and the following ensued:

Dad: WHAT'S THE HOLD UP!?
Her husband: She's pregnant!
Dad: WELL I DIDN'T DO IT!

He stormed off, threw his hulking 6'3, 300 lbs self into a singular inner tube, and drifted around the curve- leaving my brother, sister, and I staring down the curve.

My sister, pale as a ghost, apologized for my dad's outburst, to which he roared, "DON'T FREAKING APOLOGIZE!"

I was 7 and my family all went to Disney World. Twas June, and hotter than the fifth circle of hell, so we went to Typhoon Lagoon.

My mom picks a chair to sunbathe in, and the rest of us wait in line for the Lazy River (which is essentially a glorified moat that you can float around in an inner tube to travel).

So my dad is in front of my siblings and I, and we're behind this pregnant woman. She had to be at least 8 months along, and was too pregnant to put herself into the raft. So, a group of men were lowering this woman into the raft. But, no one had the cognizance to hold the raft. So, they just kept lowering her, and the force was enough to cause the raft to drift away.

He stormed off, threw his hulking 6'3, 300 lbs self into a singular inner tube, and drifted around the curve- leaving my brother, sister, and I staring down the curve.

My sister, pale as a ghost, apologized for my dad's outburst, to which he roared, "DON'T FREAKING APOLOGIZE!"

To be fair at 8 months pregnant..... what is someone doing at Walt Disney World?

To be fair at 8 months pregnant..... what is someone doing at Walt Disney World?

I don't know... Maybe she wanted some baby clothes from Disney World? Maybe she has other children and they planned the vacation a year in advance? Not sure.

Either way, I didn't understand what his comment meant until I was older, and now whenever he's pitting blame on people for petty things, I say "Well I didn't do it!"

Reactions: 2 users
Wow.

Wow.

I am so happy to hear that happened to you, then. The world really is changing, if someone assumed that a guy (whatever height) was aiming to become a nurse. I've had people here explain that they just assumed that I was a woman because I am a nurse. I've had lots of people at work assume that I'm a doctor because I'm a man. Sometimes I think that, in some hospitals, the 50's never ended.

EDIT: My voice isn't very deep, though, and I don't do that ridiculous thing that some men do of pitching it below my natural range to try to sound more manly... so the old, the blind, the confused misgender me. Also, small children have straight up laughed in my face before because they thought my voice didn't match my appearance. It makes their parents get all redfaced and embarrassed, but I find their honesty refreshing. You gotta be able to laugh. Tis the only thing that makes life bearable!
Just imagine the opposite!:confused:

I definitely look like a dude and am never misgendeed but have a mildly androgynous face (soft jawline, feminine lips, large eyes) and I have a deep, raspy smoker's voice, though I've never smoked before. People who were legally blind ask me if I'm married and if I have kids. I feel like people expect me to sound like one of the kids from 1D.

Uh.... guys it could just be patients don't understand the ins and outs of the hospital. I've been confused as a Doctor before, because I'm a tall male who wears a lab coat... I've been mistaken for a phlebotomist, because it's a smaller hospital so I have to draw blood (once for respiratory with ABGs) and I also try my best to be as nice as possible to the phlebs I work with (just good policy in any case)....... I've been confused as a nurse, because I've helped move patients before (sometimes I just feel bad and figure I ought to)..... I've been mistaken for a administrative type, because I wear business casual and not scrubs........ etc. It happens they don't know anything about the hospital and yes many older patients are from the 1950's as well. No patients means any of this as an insult, it just happens. As for assuming someone wants to be a nurse perhaps it's because the traditional route never involves "working" at the hospital (no one really understand volunteers either) and what is an EMT (meant as what patient is aware of it)?

The ignorant types are your co-workers, if they mistake you.

I was 7 and my family all went to Disney World. Twas June, and hotter than the fifth circle of hell, so we went to Typhoon Lagoon.

Please don't get mad....but I literally just pictured Peter Griffin doing this on family guy.

Please don't get mad....but I literally just pictured Peter Griffin doing this on family guy.

It's okay, something about the intro being "Twas June" makes me giggle. Thanks for the censor, SDN. :D

So I graduated last semester but I'm still on campus finishing up my research. There's a rumor floating around (and by that I mean that I've heard it from 3 different Sophmore students) that the new MCAT is 2 days long.

May God have mercy on their souls.

Reactions: 9 users
I had a classmate in high school who was convinced she was going to be a plastic surgeon and loved to brag how much farther in life she was going than the rest of us. She further explained she would be a full-fledged plastic surgeon after this amazing four year program in Chicago straight out of high school.

6 years later...

She cuts hair at Wal-Mart.

Reactions: 9 users
I had a classmate in high school who... loved to brag how much farther in life she was going than the rest of us.

I've never understood what it is that some people think, regarding how easy it is to just go into certain things. Like, there are no obstacles, gatekeepers, or bottlenecks along their future paths to glory. It is just that they thought of it first, and that the rest of us are too dumb to go for it. Like having the idea to do it is somehow the most important part.

A journey of a thousand miles does start will a single step... but you still have another 999.99975 miles of single steps to take after that one. (Assuming an average step of approximately .4 meters)

Status
Not open for further replies.