Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ME: Are you still pre-med?
Girl: Yeah, but med school is sooo competitive so I'm going to apply to MD/PHD programs instead.
ME: :confused:!!

oh dear... yeah i wanna go bungee jumping but i'm scared of heights so i'm gonna go sky diving instead.

Members don't see this ad.

You know that misconception has been around a long time. I joined this forum 7 years ago and a now resident told me that a 3.0 would get you more easily into a MD/PhD program then MD program.

So perhaps someone told her that. I wouldn't be surprised as this kid told me such and I had no plan on doing such cuz I cannot fathom the idea of doing a PhD.

My research advisor told me this. I told him I didn't want to do an MD/PhD though and he said: "OK but let me know if you ever want to take the easy path." o_O

Anyways at a LOR program thing today put on my schools advising program a student asked: "Are all your letters supposed to be strong? I heard you need some weaker letters so you have balance. I heard it was bad to have all strong letters."

Why are a majority of the comments from girls? lol. and girls tend to be the gunners most of the time :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
LMAO! He was probably trolling. Especially that *****ic statement he made:

"Er, great one, doc! So why is it called a boner if there's no bone? I'd suggest that you get yourself to a high school biology class as soon as possible and learn some basic anatomy. And why is there a pubic bone if it isn't for supporting a boner?

Dude, forget medical school. You're not touching me if that's the extent of your knowledge of human anatomy."

Naive folks like this usually make my day :D:D:D:D:D

Oh sweet, sweet irony...

My all-time favorite I hear all the time....

Them: I'm in pre-med...going to be a heart surgeon. I'm going to make millions.
Me: Cool man. Best of luck.
-------Time goes on and they take their first Gen Chem class -----
Them: Ya, so like I decided that medicine isn't right for me. I really am interested in business now.
Me: Cool man. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Jerk: Doctors make too much money and don't do any real work.
Me: Mmmhm
Jerk: Especially those general practitioners. They don't do a damn thing and get all the cash. All they do is order a million tests and bill you for two million.

Notably, Jerk was Deputy Chief of Staff for a United States Senator. Ladies, and gentlemen, your US Government!

I suppose I will never know if my pre-medical interviewer (PMI) was serious or trying to get my reaction....

PMI: You have a good GPA but since several of your volunteer experiences are people-centric you might want to consider being a Psychologist.
My thoughts : If only there was a way to involve people in the medical profession...and I can see how participating in blood drives, helping food drives, and working as a PCA could be misconstrued as having nothing to do with medicine but EVERYTHING to do with Psychology.

PMI: You have a lot of extra-curricular journal articles that you have read over the past two years, most pre-medical students have three or four.
Me: :D Well I like to read. At first journal articles were difficult for me to understand, however, as I took more science classes I started to understand why they were preforming the test they did as well as understanding the implications of the results.
PMI: I'm concerned that this shows that you love academics/studying more than anything else.
My thoughts::eek: Too bad medicine and studying don't mix...

I also had a co-worker that was not in college offer some help:
Co-worker: So how are things going with school?
Me: I've been pretty busy studying for Calculus. The test have been pretty difficult!
Co-worker: I can help you with that.
Me: :thumbup: Oh, you've taken calculus before?
Co-worker: No, but my mom went to college and she is really smart and she has her old text books.
Me::confused: What did your mom major in?
Co-worker: I don't know.
Me::confused: Did she take Calculus?
Co-worker: I don't know. But girls have a harder time with math and I was pretty good at it in HS.
Me::confused: Well, I just said it was hard I didn't say that I wasn't doing well in the class...but thanks.

Later he called me to clarify if I was flirting with him (based on this conversation)!!!

• Haha
I suppose I will never know if my pre-medical interviewer (PMI) was serious or trying to get my reaction....

PMI: You have a good GPA but since several of your volunteer experiences are people-centric you might want to consider being a Psychologist.
My thoughts : If only there was a way to involve people in the medical profession...and I can see how participating in blood drives, helping food drives, and working as a PCA could be misconstrued as having nothing to do with medicine but EVERYTHING to do with Psychology.

PMI: You have a lot of extra-curricular journal articles that you have read over the past two years, most pre-medical students have three or four.
Me: :D Well I like to read. At first journal articles were difficult for me to understand, however, as I took more science classes I started to understand why they were preforming the test they did as well as understanding the implications of the results.
PMI: I'm concerned that this shows that you love academics/studying more than anything else.
WTF...you listed journals you've read as an "EC"?! :laugh:
You've gotta be kidding me.

While you may think his comment is ridiculous, it's really not if your other activities didn't point him away from it. That just seems absolutely ridiculous to me that you would put down reading a journal as one of your ECs. Most people do that kind of stuff as a part of something else (their research group or a clinical job) -- it's simply a part of the position but no one ever lists it as something they did (i.e., like a responsibility).

Me: I've been pretty busy studying for Calculus. The test have been pretty difficult!
Co-worker: No, but my mom went to college and she is really smart and she has her old text books.
Co-worker: I don't know. But girls have a harder time with math and I was pretty good at it in HS.
Me::confused: Well, I just said it was hard I didn't say that I wasn't doing well in the class...but thanks.

Later he called me to clarify if I was flirting with him (based on this conversation)!!!

Well this is me when I was around 6 and I found out that MD means Medical Doctor. My initials are MD.

Me: I want to be a doctor so I can be MDMD
Mom: Ya then you can be MD squared
Me: I get to have a square around my name that is so cool.
Mom: Laughs and walks off.

WTF...you listed journals you've read as an "EC"?! :laugh:
You've gotta be kidding me.

While you may think his comment is ridiculous, it's really not if your other activities didn't point him away from it. That just seems absolutely ridiculous to me that you would put down reading a journal as one of your ECs. Most people do that kind of stuff as a part of something else (their research group or a clinical job) -- it's simply a part of the position but no one ever lists it as something they did (i.e., like a responsibility).

LOL - They specifically asked for what journal articles you had read in the past two years. My pre-medical adviser had told me to keep a record of things I read that were medically related. I only listed this on my premedical application because they asked for it. I did NOT mention it in my apps to medical schools.

LOL - They specifically asked for what journal articles you had read in the past two years. My pre-medical adviser had told me to keep a record of things I read that were medically related. I only listed this on my premedical application because they asked for it. I did NOT mention it in my apps to medical schools.

Wow.

What is a premedical application? And a premed interview? You have to apply to become a premed at your school? :laugh:

What is a premedical application? And a premed interview? You have to apply to become a premed at your school? :laugh:

The premedical committee at my school had a very VERY long premedical committee interview application. Just some hoops I had to jump through to get a premedical committee letter.

Members don't see this ad :)

:laugh: Well, I guess that's one way to find out if someone was flirting with you.

Ahh...ok, gotcha. That makes sense...well, not really, but I get why you kept track of things. I probably wouldn't have kept track of it, TBH. Maybe just made up some crap to make the guy feel good. Honestly, that seems like one of the most bogus and pointless things to keep track of I've heard. (And I thought Shadowing was pointless... what will they think of next? "Keep a log of the number of hours of Scrubs you watch. Also keep track of the individual episodes viewed and the lessons learned from each.")

The premedical committee at my school had a very VERY long premedical committee interview application. Just some hoops I had to jump through to get a premedical committee letter.

Oh I see. I didn't have anything like that at my school. Wow, that is a lot of hoops for a committee letter!

Ahh...ok, gotcha. That makes sense...well, not really, but I get why you kept track of things. I probably wouldn't have kept track of it, TBH. Maybe just made up some crap to make the guy feel good. Honestly, that seems like one of the most bogus and pointless things to keep track of I've heard. (And I thought Shadowing was pointless... what will they think of next? "Keep a log of the number of hours of Scrubs you watch. Also keep track of the individual episodes viewed and the lessons learned from each.")

Love it! I just started a spreadsheet! Hope I can impress once it comes around for residency interviews!!!! It is already making me feel inadequate though because I feel I got a late start :scared:. I think I'll start a support group for latecomers like me.

Oh I see. I didn't have anything like that at my school. Wow, that is a lot of hoops for a committee letter!

Tell me about it! I would consider myself lucky if I were you. I had heard of schools that didn't have as many hoops...but after awhile you think they are just urban legends.

This is a conversation between me and another bio major:

me: so what are you going to do once you graduate?
him: well, I've done a lot of research so I'll probably go on to get my PhD. What about you?
me: I plan on going to medical school, I've been preparing for it for years so hopefully I'm accepted somewhere.
him: oh yeah, I think I'll do that too.
me: medical school?
him: yeah, I think I'll just get an MD while I'm at it. It would be super cool to have two advanced degrees!

him: well, I've done a lot of research so I'll probably go on to get my PhD. What about you?
me: I plan on going to medical school, I've been preparing for it for years so hopefully I'm accepted somewhere.
him: yeah, I think I'll just get an MD while I'm at it. It would be super cool to have two advanced degrees!

Thing is, he may just get in. It happens a lot.

I know someone who was just going to do the PhD route. Out of curiosity, he took the MCAT after studying for 2 weeks (supposedly). Since he scored so well, he was pretty much like, "what the hell, I'll do MD/PhD." He's now at a prestigious CA medical school in an MD/PhD program. :shrug:

However, other people have told me he's been studying a lot longer than 2 weeks...

I know someone who was just going to do the PhD route. Out of curiosity, he took the MCAT after studying for 2 weeks (supposedly). Since he scored so well, he was pretty much like, "what the hell, I'll do MD/PhD." He's now at a prestigious CA medical school in an MD/PhD program. :shrug:

However, other people have told me he's been studying a lot longer than 2 weeks...

It kills me how hard some people work to cultivate a laid-back image/make it look like they put zero effort into being awesome. Does working hard to be awesome mitigate the awesomeness? :confused:

Slightly-related...

Me: *measures migration distance on a gel printout with a ruler* It's about 6 cm.
Pre-dent w/ a BS in bio, Pre-PA, and a person with a Master's in forensics: Wait, what? We've only got 2 annnnnd, like, a little less-than-half of a centimeter.
Me: Well I've still got 6 cm.
Them: How?
Me: Well, I'm using the centimeter side and y'all are using the inches side...
Them: Oh...

Last edited:
Why are a majority of the comments from girls? lol. and girls tend to be the gunners most of the time :shrug:

Say what? If anything most of my female classmates, even the ones shooting for derm/plastics/etc, are extremely sociable and cooperative.

Slightly-related...

Me: *measures migration distance on a gel printout with a ruler* It's about 6 cm.
Pre-dent w/ a BS in bio, Pre-PA, and a person with a Master's in forensics: Wait, what? We've only got 2 annnnnd, like, a little less-than-half of a centimeter.
Me: Well I've still got 6 cm.
Them: How?
Me: Well, I'm using the centimeter side and y'all are using the inches side...
Them: Oh...

Looks like somebody had a case of the Mondays...

Anyways at a LOR program thing today put on my schools advising program a student asked: "Are all your letters supposed to be strong? I heard you need some weaker letters so you have balance. I heard it was bad to have all strong letters."

This is the best

My research advisor told me this. I told him I didn't want to do an MD/PhD though and he said: "OK but let me know if you ever want to take the easy path." o_O

Wow. By the way, won't you have a lot of student debt after an MD/PhD program. How is THAT easy....

Wow. By the way, won't you have a lot of student debt after an MD/PhD program. How is THAT easy....

NO you won't have a lot of student debt after MD/phD

Just as most PhD programs are funded with stipends, so are MD/PhD programs. The 31 NIH funded MSTP programs pay for your education if you get into them.

BU's MD/PhD does too.

Several other MD/PhD programs across the country pay to some degree or another for your tuition. so that is not really the issue or a factor.

What is concerning about that statement was that they think its easy to get these prestigious positions. The MD/PhD programs that are most well known like the MSTP ones are not easy to get into and take the best of the best people as they are at top tier and mid tier ranked schools.

top!

Me: Aren't you going to take physics 1+2? Many schools won't accept your AP credit.
Her: Nope. I checked it out. CU Denver will take my AP credit and they're my #1 so I'm all set.
Me: But....

Dude I got this for Chem except he flat out just wasn't taking one. i don't think he did any research prior to this. I was just like okay go ahead with your okey doke.

Genius Pre-med: "Well, if you're applying DO, then you better get used to prescribing Fish Oils and Milk of Magnesia, because that's all you can do."

Me: Uhhhh.....
This just made me crack up in the Math Lab and garner a few dirty looks. Thank you, sir. :laugh:

Me: Why do you want to be a doctor?
Pre-med: Because I like order.
Me: Shouldn't you be a librarian instead?

People forget that nurses are VERY big on evidence-based practice. We got drilled that since we were little nurselings. :laugh:

Although to be fair to the OP, evidence-based practice doesn't necessarily have anything to do with science or medicine. I have met more than a few RNs who have fallen to alt-med voodoo because "there was a trial that showed it worked". ...Of course, I've met a few MDs who did the same...

Cousin: So, what are you doing these days?
Me: I'm in medical school in Philadelphia.
Cousin: Cool, there is a med school at my school.
Me: Don't you go to tech school in a town of 20,000 people for HVAC?
Cousin: yeah?

:smack:

Overheard on a city bus just off campus...

Student A: What are you studying? [To an unsuspecting stranger wearing a university sweatshirt]

Student B: Oh, I'm undecided. Just filling in my gen-eds right now until I decide. I'm leaning toward business, though. What about you?

Student A: I'm studying to be a psychiatrist.

Student B: Oh wow, good for you.

Student A: Yeah, it's really interesting how people think and stuff. I just want to do something with a really small time commitment, like, I just really want to be a stay-at-home mom and have kids and a family.

Student B: Oh, that's nice... did you mean psychologist? (confused/uncertain look)

Student A: No, psychiatrist.

Student B: Isn't that kind of a big commitment though? With medical school and everything?

Student A: No. I can do it all part time. It's not that hard.

Student B: Oh, ok... (pretends to get a phone call)

Me: LOLOLOL :laugh:

It is funny you chose scrubs because I wrote a paper on the episode 'My Screw Up' for a rhetoric class. Clearly not relevant to an application at all but still made me giggle since I have in fact kept a list of the Scrubs episode I watched and the rhetorical devices I saw being employed in each. If only all hw involved watching hours of television.

And forensic pathologist is the only one of those that require an MD. ;)

And on that note one more gem for you:

When I was 21 this kid who was head of premed amsa thought that your MCAT score is usually 10 times what your GPA is. Oh how wrong he was. Our school was living proof of that.

Just last year a former psych major who claimed she wanted to do medicine didn't even know what match was. I was shocked. i thought every premed knew what step 1, step 2, match, residency all meant.

I don't :(:hungover::bang::prof::bullcrap::wtf:

I quite consistently get asked if I'm going to be able to prescribe drugs if I become a PM&R doc. Okay?

From this thread, I'm pretty glad I wasn't part of the pre-med crowd during undergrad. I probably would have vomited on someone.

One kid tried to convince myself and others that the DAT was a much harder test than the MCAT. He actually could be right and I would have no idea but I found that pretty amusing.

This is actually true in some ways. The MCAT is 80-90% reading comprehension; the DAT isn't. The biology part is random trivia, I distinctly remember being given a description of a protozoan and it asked me which phylum it belonged to (pretty sure it was a dinoflagellate). Lots of stuff like that. And then the dreaded spatial reasoning section is kinda like being asked to describe Escher's "Relativity" to a blind person well enough that they can draw it on their own, but I guess you can prep for that part if your brain works that way... I guess that's the point.

I hadn't prepped for it, because at the time DAT scores didn't go on your Permanent Record and I was just curious. But, percentile-wise, I did much better on the MCAT.

time to bring this thread back up to speed.

Pre-med Gunna- "So, DOTW, what schools do you think you will apply to?
Me- "Well, its pretty early to tell, but my dream school is Miami"
Gunna- "Miami thats a pretty tough school, what was your GPA?"
Me- "It was a 3.1, I rocked a C in CHEM 101 and a couple other classes, lol"
Gunna- "Woah really? I don't think you will get into any med school with a C on your transcript then"
Me-"You do know the average GPA is 3.6 right?"
Gunna- "Ya, only A's and B's though. They screen you out if you have a C or lower"
Me- "You don't say...(-________-)

Dude I got this for Chem except he flat out just wasn't taking one. i don't think he did any research prior to this. I was just like okay go ahead with your okey doke.

I knew this girl who was convinced that taking ochem with no lab online was a really clever strategy. She works at a bar selling shots now.

I met someone who withdrew from OChem because he was getting a B+ and is now retaking it for an A. WHYYY.

time to bring this thread back up to speed.

Pre-med Gunna- "So, DOTW, what schools do you think you will apply to?
Me- "Well, its pretty early to tell, but my dream school is Miami"
Gunna- "Miami thats a pretty tough school, what was your GPA?"
Me- "It was a 3.1, I rocked a C in CHEM 101 and a couple other classes, lol"
Gunna- "Woah really? I don't think you will get into any med school with a C on your transcript then"
Me-"You do know the average GPA is 3.6 right?"
Gunna- "Ya, only A's and B's though. They screen you out if you have a C or lower"
Me- "You don't say...(-________-)

Hate to break it to you but your not getting into miami w a 3.1.. i think this post you just wrote should be included under the thread title topic, not the other way around.

Not med school. What really scares me is the number of people who work IN health care who are completely oblivious to how certain careers work, including their own.

I'm a Clinical Lab Scientist at a hospital and work with a lot RNs. A few of them have found out that I'm going to grad school and have asked what I'm studying.

me: "i'm going for my MPH in Epidemiology"
RN: "So you're going to be a nurse when you're done?"
me: :confused: trying to resist the urge for sarcasm

me: gives puzzled look, "no"
RN: So what will you be then?
me: resisting the urge to say 'a clinical lab scientist with an mph in epi' while giving her a look

I politely say, "I'll be a clinical lab scientist able to epi research. i'm hoping to go to medical school afterwards. the thing i like about public health is it draws people from so many fields like x, y, z."

the scary part is I've had not one, not two, but three RNs in two weeks ask me if I'll be a nurse after my MPH in Epi. I wonder what part of biostats and epi classes qualify me for nursing :rolleyes:

Hate to break it to you but your not getting into miami w a 3.1.. i think this post you just wrote should be included under the thread title topic, not the other way around.
He said it was his dream school, not where he thought he would be going

DOTW - make sure you get doxy's permission before choosing a dream school in the future.

You do know I'm a freshman right? Maybe not...

Also, my story was to bring the point that the gunna was convinced that having one or two C's was the end of the road

Last edited:
He said it was his dream school, not where he thought he would be going

DOTW - make sure you get doxy's permission before choosing a dream school in the future.

Haha yeah, I guess I should have. My bad doxy, my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.