Funny Typo in Peer-Reviewed Article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modestmousktr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Depression is undertreated throughout the lifespan [1], mostly because of poor awareness in society and the social stigmata associated with the disorder". YIKES! I am really hoping they meant to write stigma, I was unaware that depression was found to be associated with crucifixion wounds.

Funny to think about how many people proofed this paper and left that glaringly bizarre typo.

Ganguly, S., Samanta, M., Roy, P., Chatterjee, S., Kaplan, D. W., & Basu, B. (2013). Patient Health Questionnaire-9 as an effective tool for screening of depression among Indian adolescents. Journal Of Adolescent Health, 52(5), 546-551. doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2012.09.012

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible it is not a typo. Have you read the symptoms for depression under the new DSM?

Look specifically at #4:

"(1) hypersomnia or insomnia

(2) decreased interest in usual activities (e.g., work, school, friends, hobbies)

(3) markedly depressed mood, feelings of hopelessness, or self-deprecating thoughts

(4) other physical symptoms such as tenderness or palm swelling, joint or muscle pain (a sensation of “bloating,” weight gain), unexplained hemorrhaging from hands or feet

(6) subjective sense of difficulty in concentration

(7) lethargy, easy fatigability, or marked lack of energy

(8) marked change in appetite, overeating, or specific food cravings

True... I was actually trying to search my way around and figure out whether it was truly a silly typo, or an actual phenomenon I had never heard of. I think it may be the former though, because it says "social stigmata" prevents them from seeking treatment- #4 specifically uses the word physical.

It's always great to think critically though, that sentence definitely made sure I was paying attention, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
True... I was actually trying to search my way around and figure out whether it was truly a silly typo, or an actual phenomenon I had never heard of. I think it may be the former though, because it says "social stigmata" prevents them from seeking treatment- #4 specifically uses the word physical.

It's always great to think critically though, that sentence definitely made sure I was paying attention, haha.

Because this is a professional forum and I am not 100% sure if you got that was I joking, I would like to point out that what I posted about the symptomology for depression is not true. I altered the symptoms for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder to match stigmata. I was hoping that "unexplained hemorrhaging from hands or feet" would be quite obviously ridiculous.

"Depression is undertreated throughout the lifespan [1], mostly because of poor awareness in society and the social stigmata associated with the disorder". YIKES! I am really hoping they meant to write stigma, I was unaware that depression was found to be associated with crucifixion wounds.

Funny to think about how many people proofed this paper and left that glaringly bizarre typo.

Ganguly, S., Samanta, M., Roy, P., Chatterjee, S., Kaplan, D. W., & Basu, B. (2013). Patient Health Questionnaire-9 as an effective tool for screening of depression among Indian adolescents. Journal Of Adolescent Health, 52(5), 546-551. doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2012.09.012

I fail to see why this is a big deal, tbh. If it were my article (it's not), that would be an "oops" moment, and that's all. It's clear that they meant "stigma" and most people probably subconsciously corrected it in their heads. Now, I've seen typos involving sample size (different n's reported in the abstract and body)--that type of thing is a fairly big issue. This? Not so much, IMO,

Because this is a professional forum and I am not 100% sure if you got that was I joking, I would like to point out that what I posted about the symptomology for depression is not true. I altered the symptoms for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder to match stigmata. I was hoping that "unexplained hemorrhaging from hands or feet" would be quite obviously ridiculous.

HAHAHA! That's hysterical. I was thinking that this new addition tithe DSM was pretty crazy :p

I fail to see why this is a big deal, tbh. If it were my article (it's not), that would be an "oops" moment, and that's all. It's clear that they meant "stigma" and most people probably subconsciously corrected it in their heads. Now, I've seen typos involving sample size (different n's reported in the abstract and body)--that type of thing is a fairly big issue. This? Not so much, IMO,

Thought someone would get a kick out of it, since stigmata is such a specific thing. It gave me a giggle.

One of my recommendation letter writers spoke eloquently about my experience with the participant poo system (as opposed to participant pool system).

Normally I'm not one for scatological humor, but I still giggle reading it.

It was corrected before letters were sent out.

LOVE the elf-attributed characteristics. It could be for a seasonal chapter ;) and the poo system made me laugh out loud! I'm a sucker for typos/puns/madlib type things.

I got a kick out of this post. I once sent a document around that said "pubic" instead of "public." WHOOPS.

As somebody who studied Latin, I must say, that it indeed could be correct to use stigmata as a plural form - similar to traumata, pl. for trauma. At least, in the old world, this is the correct plural.