Future anesthesia job market ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you recommend going into Anesthesia (projected residency graduation in 2019)

• Yes

Votes: 93 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 59 24.6%
  • not sure, too hard to predict

Votes: 90 37.5%

• Total voters
All this doom and gloom. Im on an EM rotation and am absolutely loving it. EM 4th yr of med school was too late in the year, had me scratching my head then as well wondering if I made the right choice.
Just because you love it doesn't mean doom and gloom doesn't exists.

Members don't see this ad.

Then switch Ike Boy. Sounds like you are an intern. However, there is a lot of crap that EM docs have to deal with. Pressure from administration to move the meat and see so many patients per hour. Belligerent, angry, drunk, psychotic, high as a kite patients. The smell. The patients who abuse the system and come in for the common cold and flu, and gastroenteritis and stupid things. There is also a lot of encroachment from the midlevels as well.

Maybe your best bet would be to do an ICU fellowship when done if you want to deal with the sicker patients and differential diagnoses and treatments.

You will get to spend plenty of time in the ED as an ICU doc evaluating patients.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
4th year USIMG here, board scores are pretty competitive (249 step 1, step 2 pending). Knowing that IMGs matching Ortho/ENT/Uro is extremely difficult, which residency would you go for if you could go back, Anesthesia, GS or Rads?

4th year USIMG here, board scores are pretty competitive (249 step 1, step 2 pending). Knowing that IMGs matching Ortho/ENT/Uro is extremely difficult, which residency would you go for if you could go back, Anesthesia, GS or Rads?

Good job on the scores. General surgery is the only specialty out of the 3 you listed that owns patients. Hospital based specialties are changing pretty rapidly in regards to whom employs you, be it anesthesia, radiology, EM, etc.. The answer is seemingly large management companies. The only problem is you have to do a surgery residency, but if you can stick that out it certainly seems like a good option.

GS has become quite competitive in recent years, it's a much longer shot for an IMG than anesthesia or rads.

They have a very lucrative ob anesthesia service.

My friends wife is one of the partners there at north side. They got a very good deal. Better than the big orlando group JLR got last year.

Amsurg stock is over 50% year to year last I check since their Sheridan acquisition. 17-18 months ago.

They've done some shady things (see oig opnion 12-10) when they were trying to do their own anesthesia services with kickbacks to gi docs in their 51/49 "joint ventures". But they know Rick Scott governor of Florida has their back since half of them (Amsurg executives) used to work for Rick Scott at HCA in Nashville.

>$1 mil/partner?

>$1 mil/partner?
Way more than 1 mil. More than 2....

Remember ACT models lucrative groups can sell out more per partner than all MD groups. It's just simple math. Less MDs to spread the wealth.

Way more than 1 mil. More than 2....

Remember ACT models lucrative groups can sell out more per partner than all MD groups. It's just simple math. Less MDs to spread the wealth.

They can only sell out more if they were earning more per partner in the first place. But yes in a well run group they should earn more than an all MD group.

If anyone has personal experience (or expertise) in practice valuations, can you PM me? The subject has come up in our group amongst some of the older partners (despite the wishes of the younger partners) and I would at least like to be able to sit at the table with as much knowledge as possible of comparable sales, what valuations are based upon, and the impact it may have on future earnings. Needless to say, I would prefer to get the information from people who have been on the sell side of the transaction as opposed to the buy side (to minimize bias). Thank you in advance.

If anyone has personal experience (or expertise) in practice valuations, can you PM me? The subject has come up in our group amongst some of the older partners (despite the wishes of the younger partners) and I would at least like to be able to sit at the table with as much knowledge as possible of comparable sales, what valuations are based upon, and the impact it may have on future earnings. Needless to say, I would prefer to get the information from people who have been on the sell side of the transaction as opposed to the buy side (to minimize bias). Thank you in advance.
General reading:
What’s Your Anesthesia Group Worth? And Why it Might Not Make Any Difference. | Anesthesia Business Consultants
How To Get The Maximum Price For The Sale Of Your Anesthesiology Practice | Anesthesiastat
Articles & Presentations | Haverford Healthcare Advisors