Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmmmm... I'm gonna see if I can access that. I'm curious now!

If you dig it up, can you give a list of what GPAs VMCAS calculates? I heard there's quite a few. I'm also curious about the science GPA. Do you know if it includes social science courses? One part of the VMCAS FAQ says it does and one part says it doesn't.

Members don't see this ad.

If you dig it up, can you give a list of what GPAs VMCAS calculates? I heard there's quite a few. I'm also curious about the science GPA. Do you know if it includes social science courses? One part of the VMCAS FAQ says it does and one part says it doesn't.
There was a whole page of GPAs. Once I finish cooking dinner I bet I can dig up what they calculate for you.

I just got home from my 3rd GRE attempt. My 1st quantitative percentile was 25th ( . . . :( ). My 2nd test improved just a liiiiiitle bit to the 32nd percentile. Today's score was 153, which puts me in the 52nd percentile! Which is still below average, but now I'm within the top 50% of those who take it, right? That's really good, right? ;)

My average for all 3 sections is 66th percentile, which is above average for my IS school, so I'm feeling sort of okay about that. I wish I'd scored higher on the quant, but I didn't, and I don't know if it's worth it to take it a fourth time. So I'll be over here celebrating my small achievements even though it's still sub average. :)

That's so awesome, great job!! I'm retaking August 4th and I got a 28th percentile for my quant my first time. Realllly hoping its going up. I have magoosh and have been watching their videos and chipping away at the hundreds of practice questions but my pace is just soooooo slow.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes that's very true, but if you finalize the transcripts and send the incomplete transcripts to VMCAS, I was under the impression they could calculate your GPA, and then they wouldn't change it. Is this correct? Or do you have to submit your application for them to verify and calculate your GPA?

They have to wait until you submit! "Finalizing" doesn't really mean anything, just marking APs and study abroads. You can finalize and adjust and re-finalize to your hearts desire until the day you click submit.

I did the thing where I sent one transcript just in case and then another at the end of the summer classes. I submitted on Sept 2nd, and they didn't receive my summer transcript until a few days after that, but by the time I was in line for verification, they had the new one, and used that to calculate GPAs.

Lessee...
GPAs are broken into:
  • GPA by subject
  • GPA by year
  • GPA by school
The subjects it's broken into are:
  • Biology/chemistry/physical/life science
  • General education
  • Mathematics
  • Other courses
GPAs by year are calculated for the following:
  • Freshman
  • Sophomore
  • Junior
  • Senior
  • Baccalaureate (in other words, your cum GPA for your undergrad)
  • Post-baccalaurate
  • Cumulative undergraduate (I'm assuming this is cum GPA including any post-bacc courses?)
  • Graduate
  • Overall (undergrad + grad?)
  • Freshman science
  • Sophomore science
  • Junior science
  • Senior science
  • Baccalaureate science
  • Post-baccalaureate science
  • Cumulative undergraduate science
  • Graduate science
  • Overall science
  • Freshman non-science
  • Sophomore non-science
  • Junior non-science
  • Senior non-science
  • Baccalaureate non-science
  • Post-baccalaureate non-science
  • Cumulative undergraduate non-science
  • Graduate non-science
  • Overall non-science
GPA by school is exactly what it sounds like. For each GPA reported, they list the number of credit hours (may be helpful to see how many credits worth of classes they count as non-science and see if it matches up with what you think of as non-science), the number of quality points, and the ultimate GPA.

For UF it says:
  • Last date to take the GRE for 2016-17 application cycle is August 31st, 2016
Doesn't that mean its okay to take it later? Technically they don't need to scores until September 15th? Not sure if I'm understanding this right.
Yes, that should be fine

I remember seeing my GPA on the PDF of your application that you could download after submitting your app. I can't remember if that was downloadable after you submitted or after VMCAS verified your app though.
Heh. Pretty sure I never even looked at that...

Heh. Pretty sure I never even looked at that...
I saved a copy of the one that was sent to each school in case I ever wanted to reference them for a future application cycle/before interviews. It also helped me to see what the schools were given!

I'm pretty Type A though, so that's probably I saved everything.

I saved a copy of the one that was sent to each school in case I ever wanted to reference them for a future application cycle/before interviews. It also helped me to see what the schools were given!

I'm pretty Type A though, so that's probably I saved everything.
That's super smart! I'm lazy and like to forget about things after I'm done with them...

Reactions: 1 users
Lessee...
GPAs are broken into:
  • GPA by subject
  • GPA by year
  • GPA by school
  • General education
  • Mathematics
  • Other courses
  • Freshman
  • Sophomore
  • Junior
  • Senior
  • Post-baccalaurate
  • Cumulative undergraduate (I'm assuming this is cum GPA including any post-bacc courses?)
  • Graduate
  • Freshman science
  • Sophomore science
  • Junior science
  • Senior science
  • Baccalaureate science
  • Graduate science
  • Overall science
  • Freshman non-science
  • Sophomore non-science
  • Junior non-science
  • Senior non-science
  • Graduate non-science
  • Overall non-science
GPA by school is exactly what it sounds like. For each GPA reported, they list the number of credit hours (may be helpful to see how many credits worth of classes they count as non-science and see if it matches up with what you think of as non-science), the number of quality points, and the ultimate GPA.

Holy cheese. That's a lot of GPA calculations.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I swear I'd saved a copy of one of my PDFs for reference last year (whichever school that had the most supplemental stuff, since they were pretty much the same other than that), but now I can't find it? I want to look at it mostly so I can see my previous answer to the "activity gap" and whatever other miscellaneous questions that didn't copy over for some reason. VMCAS mentions that you can access previous application PDFs as well as the current one but where is it? (sorry, this is like the 3rd time I've mentioned that :p) I'll probably just keep looking around the hard drive because seriously...I hope I didn't just view the old PDFs without ever saving them, pfft.

What did you write, if not the techniques? Just curious!

Pretty much just gave an overview of the research/experiment and then listed my duties/jobs that I had to perform while on the project. I didn't go into detail about techniques, but I am sure you could and it wouldn't hurt.

Someone posted something about how to keep track of experiences in the pdf version of your application... how do you access that before submitting your app? I started to copy and paste everything into a word doc, but it is going to be so tedious with all the different boxes to fill out. I am trying to get around that unnecessary work if I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone posted something about how to keep track of experiences in the pdf version of your application... how do you access that before submitting your app? I started to copy and paste everything into a word doc, but it is going to be so tedious with all the different boxes to fill out. I am trying to get around that unnecessary work if I can.

go to "check status" then click on any of the schools that you have added and there should be a link to download a pdf

5th time applicant here, got waitlisted at my UG, Masters, and IS school, UGA, last cycle. ended up as #3 on the list. I have been accepted to western in the past but turned down my offer due to financial reasons. I am hoping this is my year for uga. I don't really want to go anywhere else.

Reactions: 2 users
5th time applicant here, got waitlisted at my UG, Masters, and IS school, UGA, last cycle. ended up as #3 on the list. I have been accepted to western in the past but turned down my offer due to financial reasons. I am hoping this is my year for uga. I don't really want to go anywhere else.
Do you live in Athens?

go to "check status" then click on any of the schools that you have added and there should be a link to download a pdf
Thanks!!

Do you live in Athens?

I will be soon. I just took a job as a research technician with the large animal hospital so I'm moving back this weekend!! I've been a county extension agent for the past year

Finally finished deleting and re-entering my experiences in chronological order by end date. Turns out I would've had to do it anyways because I had forgotten to add my veterinary horse experience hours. :smack:

How is VMCAS coming along for potential c/o 2021'ers? If you have any questions, keep asking away.

Does LSU offer in-state tuition after the first year? Or are they a school that will allow a veteran to switch to IS?

Lessee...
GPAs are broken into:
  • GPA by subject
  • GPA by year
  • GPA by school
  • General education
  • Mathematics
  • Other courses
  • Freshman
  • Sophomore
  • Junior
  • Senior
  • Post-baccalaurate
  • Graduate
  • Freshman science
  • Sophomore science
  • Junior science
  • Senior science
  • Baccalaureate science
  • Graduate science
  • Overall science
  • Freshman non-science
  • Sophomore non-science
  • Junior non-science
  • Senior non-science
  • Graduate non-science
  • Overall non-science

Wow that is a lot. Thanks for answering!

How is VMCAS coming along for potential c/o 2021'ers? If you have any questions, keep asking away.

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate how helpful the past applicants on this thread (and the rest of the pre-vet forum) are! VMCAS should hire all of you.

I do have a question for anyone who can help: for those of you who took time off from school, how did you reflect this in your extracurricular experiences section? I took a semester off due to a medical issue, which I will explain in my explanation statement. For a number of my ECs, I was active before my leave and after but not during as I was away from campus. Do I need to write out "Except for [semester of leave]: See explanation statement" for each one? It seems like a repetitive waste of characters, but I don't want to mislead anyone by not specifying that I wasn't active at that time.

I've angrily turned off my computer twice, cried once, sighed nine times, and yelled that an application doesn't need to be this long three times.. So overall, I'm guessing VMCAS is going pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate how helpful the past applicants on this thread (and the rest of the pre-vet forum) are! VMCAS should hire all of you.

I do have a question for anyone who can help: for those of you who took time off from school, how did you reflect this in your extracurricular experiences section? I took a semester off due to a medical issue, which I will explain in my explanation statement. For a number of my ECs, I was active before my leave and after but not during as I was away from campus. Do I need to write out "Except for [semester of leave]: See explanation statement" for each one? It seems like a repetitive waste of characters, but I don't want to mislead anyone by not specifying that I wasn't active at that time.

I don't have this issue but if I were doing that, I probably wouldn't bother mentioning it in the experiences section and just clarify in the explanation statement which ECs it applies to. That's just me though. I don't see a reason that you would need to mention it twice and I imagine the explanation statement would be a better use of characters.

Does anyone else have an employer/family friend type person doing an evaluation?

One of my experiences that WSU thought was unique was a goat tending job I did off and on (for the owner while she left town). I know her pretty well now, and I went on a backpacking trip with her a few years ago. She offered to write me a letter for my application this year and I said yes, but in starting to have nagging doubts about the number of evaluators I have this time . . . all three from last year, plus one WSU asked me to add, plus the goat owner.

I guess I'm just afraid that 5 letters is a lot. I know they will all be strong, but I'm worried it will feel like over kill?

Schools won't care how many you have. If they have a limit, they'll pick which ones they read/have you list which ones to read.

I will be soon. I just took a job as a research technician with the large animal hospital so I'm moving back this weekend!! I've been a county extension agent for the past year
Cool! Well if you ever want to meet up at Jittery Joes or something, let me know! I'm applying to UGA as well.

Was anyone on this thread thinking about applying to CSU? I've been waiting for someone to start a c/o 2021 thread so I can stalk it. :p

Was anyone on this thread thinking about applying to CSU? I've been waiting for someone to start a c/o 2021 thread so I can stalk it. :p

I would, but this stock photo best explains why I can't.
ImageUploadedBySDN1464233719.609729.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
What a coincidence, I've been contemplating starting it myself :p

With the amount of organization and info in this thread I wonder if I was lucky to get into vet school lol. I don't know half of what you guys are talking about and I never looked into it o_O

Reactions: 3 users
Does LSU offer in-state tuition after the first year? Or are they a school that will allow a veteran to switch to IS?

Nope, they lock you in. As far as being a veteran goes, however, I am not sure.

With the amount of organization and info in this thread I wonder if I was lucky to get into vet school lol. I don't know half of what you guys are talking about and I never looked into it o_O

Literally same. And watching my new classmates on Facebook, I feel it even more. Most of them already I have the required supplies before the list comes out at orientation. Like, do you not need loans to pay for that stuff?! Can I just borrow from you and not owe the government?

Some of the stuff people talk about here makes me wonder how I even managed to breathe and hit the VMCAS submit button at the same time lol

Literally same. And watching my new classmates on Facebook, I feel it even more. Most of them already I have the required supplies before the list comes out at orientation. Like, do you not need loans to pay for that stuff?! Can I just borrow from you and not owe the government?
I have literally never bought a single book for any semester until at least 2-3 weeks in. 1. I never really looked to see what I needed before class started 2. I wanted to know if I REALLY needed it lol

I have literally never bought a single book for any semester until at least 2-3 weeks in. 1. I never really looked to see what I needed before class started 2. I wanted to know if I REALLY needed it lol
Same. I bummed books off of other people (if I needed them at all) for almost all of undergrad.

I was talking to someone once and they were talking about how they had no idea how anyone passed this one class without a textbook and I was like "Whaaaaaa, there's a book? That explains why this class is so hard lol". Still never bought the book.

But that said, someone start an LSU thread! Idk why we get so few LA residents on SDN... it echoes here!

But that said, someone start an LSU thread! Idk why we get so few LA residents on SDN... it echoes here!
I've always been tempted to start a thread for a school that I know nothing about (and never applied to). I would be a great resource for all of those anxious pre-vet students. My stock response is "I bet it'll be fine."

Same. I bummed books off of other people (if I needed them at all) for almost all of undergrad.

I was talking to someone once and they were talking about how they had no idea how anyone passed this one class without a textbook and I was like "Whaaaaaa, there's a book? That explains why this class is so hard lol". Still never bought the book.

I stopped buying books junior year. For vet school, I just communicated with upperclassmen (MSU applicants, biggest pro is everyone is SO friendly and helpful here) on what I absolutely needed. I only spent a little over $100 on books.

I stopped buying books junior year. For vet school, I just communicated with upperclassmen (MSU applicants, biggest pro is everyone is SO friendly and helpful here) on what I absolutely needed. I only spent a little over $100 on books.

Lol I almost NEVER bought books in undergrad. I was talking about vet school. I spent the most money on my 5 min veterinary consults and those are just so I can look things up quickly because the fastest, easiest thing is what I'm all about lol.

I am very NOT type A though. I stress out a lot of my classmates just by talking about the fact that I'm not worried about not being prepared lol

I've always been tempted to start a thread for a school that I know nothing about (and never applied to). I would be a great resource for all of those anxious pre-vet students. My stock response is "I bet it'll be fine."

When I did my file review for LSU over the phone, the director of admissions said somewhere, "yeah, I was actually looking at the LSU applicant thread someone made on SDN, and wow, those kids were anxious! Just 7 pages of speculation! I just couldn't imagine." I wonder if he knew who I was... :D

Oh no. They're on to us :ninja:

My stomach DROPPED when he said that ahaha. I was trying to think if I maybe said something bad about the school on accident and he was about to bring it up, since I was the OP of the 2020 thread and I don't think its too hard to figure out who I am irl. Granted, something like that'd probably have gotten me a rejection instead of a waitlist. Becuase he also did compliment me and said of all the alternates, I was the most patient and emailed him questions that couldn't have been answered by the FAQ page. :clap:

Anyways, 2021, lesson is, even when you don't think adcoms look at this stuff, they do. Be respectful, always. Don't call the admissions process unfair, don't call schools sketchy, don't be mean to current students.