Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyways, 2021, lesson is, even when you don't think adcoms look at this stuff, they do. Be respectful, always. Don't call the admissions process unfair, don't call schools sketchy, don't be mean to current students.
People who would like to be class of 2022 applicants: be rude, call the admissions process unfair, call schools sketchy, be really mean to current students.

You can also do this if you'd like to be difficult. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I can attest to the fact that current students are suuuper lame.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 user
I was so incredibly guilty of that... I was asking where the interviews were days after verification. Lol. Do I get to take it back?

People who would like to be class of 2022 applicants: be rude, call the admissions process unfair, call schools sketchy, be really mean to current students.

You can also do this if you'd like to be difficult. ;)

we can start our troll accounts next cycle. K?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was so incredibly guilty of that... I was asking where the interviews were days after verification. Lol. Do I get to take it back?

we can start our troll accounts next cycle. K?
What makes you think this isn't a troll account? :eek:

I can attest to the fact that current students are suuuper lame.
giphy.gif
I can attest to the fact that Abney seems suuuper lame. :p

I think 2020 has hijacked this thread... Oops! Guess this brood of applicants is responsible and goes to bed on time.

Reactions: 1 users
I recall a couple years back NCSU specifically had a little spiel in one of their documents to not trust information from SDN. Called out specifically by name, and it was not worded particularly kindly. Found it funny because I feel like many people get much better information here than from real life advisors/friends/family, especially in regards to financial matters.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm late to the party but I finally started my application tonight. Well, first I read the 43 page PDF on how to fill out the TMDSAS application.

It already asked for information I do not know. Where was my father born? IDK somewhere in germany. I'll have to ask him in the morning. And what zip code did I live in for the majority of time before I turned 18? Uhhh let me do some thinking and some math since we moved 4 times and lived 5 places including different countries. And I'm not even a military brat.

Let's not forget the amount of soul searching I'll have to do to come up for a good honest answer to the question of why I want to be a vet. "Because I just do" is not enough words.

As of this moment I'm only planning on applying to my in state (Texas) only because I have no clue where I would apply out of state. Well, I would love to go to Tennessee (I have family there) but I need to take another pre-req before I could apply there.

I'm late to the party but I finally started my application tonight. Well, first I read the 43 page PDF on how to fill out the TMDSAS application.

It already asked for information I do not know. Where was my father born? IDK somewhere in germany. I'll have to ask him in the morning. And what zip code did I live in for the majority of time before I turned 18? Uhhh let me do some thinking and some math since we moved 4 times and lived 5 places including different countries. And I'm not even a military brat.

Let's not forget the amount of soul searching I'll have to do to come up for a good honest answer to the question of why I want to be a vet. "Because I just do" is not enough words.

As of this moment I'm only planning on applying to my in state (Texas) only because I have no clue where I would apply out of state. Well, I would love to go to Tennessee (I have family there) but I need to take another pre-req before I could apply there.

Well, on the plus side, TMDAS isn't the only application that asks why you want to be a vet- it's part of VMCAS as well (see Personal Statement). So, I bet you could write up a draft and send it to anyone on the Personal Statement 2021 thread, and they'll help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh I knew it wasn't. I'll definitely be using that thread once I actually write something.

You probably weren't trying to be funny, but I still laughed at this lol

Does LSU offer in-state tuition after the first year? Or are they a school that will allow a veteran to switch to IS?
Michigan State will let a veteran get converted to in state status as long as you file all required forms at least a month prior to the beginning of the semester. Their residency rules also allow veteran spouses to get IS as well.

Iowa State has a similar policy. Veterans and their direct dependents can recieve IS tuition with the requisite paperwork. I've gone through the process and it's relatively easy. If anyone is interested in that, feel free to PM me and I can provide more details.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a good deal of the schools allowed for this. It may just not be explicitly advertised on the website; I noticed that Iowa State allowed it for undergrad students, so I inquired about the DVM program and, lo and behold, it's still eligible for the resident status. You don't lose anything by asking Louisiana State if they would allow it, @emlady09 (it's hard to tell from your post if you're interested in acquiring IS status as a veteran or in general, but I figure that someone else could use the info regardless)!

Wow that is a lot. Thanks for answering!

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate how helpful the past applicants on this thread (and the rest of the pre-vet forum) are! VMCAS should hire all of you.

I do have a question for anyone who can help: for those of you who took time off from school, how did you reflect this in your extracurricular experiences section? I took a semester off due to a medical issue, which I will explain in my explanation statement. For a number of my ECs, I was active before my leave and after but not during as I was away from campus. Do I need to write out "Except for [semester of leave]: See explanation statement" for each one? It seems like a repetitive waste of characters, but I don't want to mislead anyone by not specifying that I wasn't active at that time.

I think someone already said it, but I would not worry about putting this in your EC section. I would just briefly talk about it in your explanation statement. Just make sure your hours are right.

Iowa State has a similar policy. Veterans and their direct dependents can recieve IS tuition with the requisite paperwork. I've gone through the process and it's relatively easy. If anyone is interested in that, feel free to PM me and I can provide more details.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a good deal of the schools allowed for this. It may just not be explicitly advertised on the website; I noticed that Iowa State allowed it for undergrad students, so I inquired about the DVM program and, lo and behold, it's still eligible for the resident status. You don't lose anything by asking Louisiana State if they would allow it, @emlady09 (it's hard to tell from your post if you're interested in acquiring IS status as a veteran or in general, but I figure that someone else could use the info regardless)!

Thank you! I was looking to get IS status as a veteran. I didn't even know some schools allowed this until I saw someone posting about it awhile back! So I'm trying to find schools that allow this. Anyway to reduce the debt load!!

Question about extracurricular experiences: does this section include only school-related extracurriculars. For example, I have been snowboarding for over 10 years, and also have been involved in photography for around the same amount of time. Would I add these kinds of activities to my application?

Question about extracurricular experiences: does this section include only school-related extracurriculars. For example, I have been snowboarding for over 10 years, and also have been involved in photography for around the same amount of time. Would I add these kinds of activities to my application?
Hmmm. I personally am not adding any hobbies to my app. I think during interviews, you'll probably get asked about what your interests are besides animals, and this is the time to elaborate on those other things. Idk though, maybe someone else has a different opinion.

I put hobbies (cooking/photography) in mine. Only applied to a school that doesn't interview, though, so the application and supplemental essays were the only way they were going to get to know me.

Last edited:
*shrug* I included quite a few hobbies. Didn't seem to hurt me. I've heard arguments both ways, though.

I included hobbies in mine only in the professional sense though (singing is my hobby so I listed the singing groups I've been in, and performances and solos I've had). I was asked about my music background in almost every interview, so I recommend listing it!

Hmmm. I personally am not adding any hobbies to my app. I think during interviews, you'll probably get asked about what your interests are besides animals, and this is the time to elaborate on those other things. Idk though, maybe someone else has a different opinion.

For me it depends on the hobby. I definitely included a few in my applications, including speech and debate, stand up, and creative writing.

I didn't include anything on vmcas that wasn't outside the realm of leadership, academics or veterinary, but I talked about my hobby of makeup artistry and how I used to be involved in theatre (both acting and technical!) in both of my interviews, because it was asked! I think if it floats your boat to include that stuff, do it.

I didn't include anything on vmcas that wasn't outside the realm of leadership, academics or veterinary, but I talked about my hobby of makeup artistry and how I used to be involved in theatre (both acting and technical!) in both of my interviews, because it was asked! I think if it floats your boat to include that stuff, do it.
shout out to fellow makeup addict! :) i also make soap from scratch. and am an avid yogi. ;)

shout out to fellow makeup addict! :) i also make soap from scratch. and am an avid yogi. ;)

I love yoga! Already found a studio to go to where I'm moving. I've never made soap but I've always wanted to try.

So I got a C in organic 1 and a B in organic 2. I know that it's better to do well in an upper division class, but is there an upper division for organic chemistry I could replace it with? That C is bringing my GPA down (it's my only C) and making me sad.

WSU told me that they want absolutely every hobby and activity you've been involved in (hiking, playing a musical instrument, etc) so they can get a sense of who you are beyond vet med. I don't know how many schools have the same philosophy.

WSU told me that they want absolutely every hobby and activity you've been involved in (hiking, playing a musical instrument, etc) so they can get a sense of who you are beyond vet med. I don't know how many schools have the same philosophy.

I would probably do that for every school- they can ignore it if they don't want it, but I feel that it's better to have too much information about yourself than not enough!

So I got a C in organic 1 and a B in organic 2. I know that it's better to do well in an upper division class, but is there an upper division for organic chemistry I could replace it with? That C is bringing my GPA down (it's my only C) and making me sad.

I mean, not for Orgo specifically. Doing well in biochemistry might attest to chemistry knowledge. At my school it was 4000 while organic was 3000. I also did an independent study chemistry class for 3 semesters that was 4000 level. You need to be very self-driven for that, though. If that's your only C, I wouldn't be worried. C in organic is actually pretty common. Plus the B second semester marks improvement.

For me it depends on the hobby. I definitely included a few in my applications, including speech and debate, stand up, and creative writing.
Fellow debater?! Debate took up so much of my life in high school:)

It says on the VMCAS instructions that you can include hobbies under extracurriculars!

I would probably do that for every school- they can ignore it if they don't want it, but I feel that it's better to have too much information about yourself than not enough!

Agreed. You never know if that one hobby helps to set you apart from the rest!

Test date for the GRE set. Queue panicked studying for the next week. Anyone else trying to get it in before summer classes start?

I can confirm that Colorado does not allow vets get IS tuition for vet school, unless you're using benefits (MGIB, 911, voc read, etc). They will let a veteran get IS tuition for undergrad, but the paperwork for the process explicitly states it doesn't cover the CVM :(

What I never asked though is if they convert you to IS while using the GI Bill, if they'd switch you back to OOS if your benefits ran out.

I've only got 19 days of coverage left and I'm trying to get the most out of it. Lol

Test date for the GRE set. Queue panicked studying for the next week. Anyone else trying to get it in before summer classes start?
Took it a few weeks ago! Currently trying to get some shadowing in before internship/summer online class starts next month. I needed to complete 80 hours before starting the vet tech degree program in the fall and have ~28 left so should be finished by the end of next week.

Took it a few weeks ago! Currently trying to get some shadowing in before internship/summer online class starts next month. I needed to complete 80 hours before starting the vet tech degree program in the fall and have ~28 left so should be finished by the end of next week.
Just curious, what made you decide to do vet tech school before vet med?

Just curious, what made you decide to do vet tech school before vet med?
Oh, this is sort of a special case--it's not really "vet tech school" in the traditional sense of a technical program, but a 4-year "bachelors of veterinary technology" degree program offered at the university I have been attending (apparently there are only around 20ish of these programs in the country). Since I already have a degree and possessed all the necessary prereqs covering the first 2 years, I was able to enroll in the program as a post-bacc to help my GPA, and have more opportunities for veterinary experience in the process! I probably wouldn't even have considered it as a possibility had my advisors not recommended it to me when I asked about my options for a post-bacc or Masters.

Oh, this is sort of a special case--it's not really "vet tech school" in the traditional sense of a technical program, but a 4-year "bachelors of veterinary technology" degree program offered at the university I have been attending (apparently there are only around 20ish of these programs in the country). Since I already have a degree and possessed all the necessary prereqs covering the first 2 years, I was able to enroll in the program as a post-bacc to help my GPA, and have more opportunities for veterinary experience in the process! I probably wouldn't even have considered it as a possibility had my advisors not recommended it to me when I asked about my options for a post-bacc or Masters.

BS in vet tech + NVTE would make you a "veterinary technologist" (here in LA at least). there's little to no difference in jobs AFAIK but the name's fancy ;)

I agree that doing well in biochem would help. It wouldn't replace the grade (no different class would as far as I know, you would have to re-take the class), but it would show that you can apply the concepts from organic in other courses. Personally I wouldn't bother re-taking organic if that's your only C.

I agree that doing well in biochem would help. It wouldn't replace the grade (no different class would as far as I know, you would have to re-take the class), but it would show that you can apply the concepts from organic in other courses. Personally I wouldn't bother re-taking organic if that's your only C.

Okay.. I'll definitely do that! I know that I love biochem (I'm a Biochemisty & molecular biology major) so I was just curious. And yeah that's my only C- most everything else is A's, a couple B's, and that one C. And I only have 2 semesters of physics, Biochem, and statistics left (and then maybe cell bio or psychology, depending on where I decide to apply)- so should be all A's.