Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BS in vet tech + NVTE would make you a "veterinary technologist" (here in LA at least). there's little to no difference in jobs AFAIK but the name's fancy ;)
Yep, "Veterinary Technologist" is exactly the name they use here! Still a "vet tech" but with the added bonus of being a bachelors/adding to my other undergrad coursework. :heckyeah:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you that have experience with explanation statements - would a few of you mind taking a look at what I have for mine? I'd like to make sure that it's concise enough and appropriate! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I need an opinion on how to separate (or not separate) an experience. I've been pretty involved in research in undergrad, all with the same lab. This summer I'm working with the same lab on a study, but I got accepted to a program that is giving me a stipend to support my work all summer. I have my own miniature project that is a part of our larger project and i'll present on it at the end of the summer. Originally I was just going to include it all under one entry on VMCAS, but I'm wondering if I should separate what I'm doing this summer under a separate entry?

Thoughts?

I need an opinion on how to separate (or not separate) an experience. I've been pretty involved in research in undergrad, all with the same lab. This summer I'm working with the same lab on a study, but I got accepted to a program that is giving me a stipend to support my work all summer. I have my own miniature project that is a part of our larger project and i'll present on it at the end of the summer. Originally I was just going to include it all under one entry on VMCAS, but I'm wondering if I should separate what I'm doing this summer under a separate entry?

Thoughts?

It really doesn't matter much whether you separate it or not. They don't usually give you much space to write about each activity on VMCAS, so if you find that you don't have enough space to write about your research in the lab AND this new project under one entry, go ahead and make a separate entry. It sounds like it's a new research project, so it would be appropriate to make a new entry if you think it warrants one. I don't think it will make much of a difference to the schools.

So I have a question regarding research experience. I had undergraduate research done for a class, not just a standard research project but a capstone where the entire class was a research project we designed and carried out. I was published by the school, but not in any publications, more just for the school. They do this with everyone's project. Does this count as experience? Thanks for your input.

On a totally different note, three of my evaluators have submitted already! I'm so excited, I just hope they were really good.

Last edited:
On a totally different note, three of my evaporators have submitted already! I'm so excited, I just hope they were really good.

Isn't that such a good feeling? I only have one left who needs to submit and it makes me happy that my evaluators care enough to make it such a priority!

It really doesn't matter much whether you separate it or not. They don't usually give you much space to write about each activity on VMCAS, so if you find that you don't have enough space to write about your research in the lab AND this new project under one entry, go ahead and make a separate entry. It sounds like it's a new research project, so it would be appropriate to make a new entry if you think it warrants one. I don't think it will make much of a difference to the schools.

That's kinda what I was thinking...separating to give myself more room for description...thanks for the input!

Isn't that such a good feeling? I only have one left who needs to submit and it makes me happy that my evaluators care enough to make it such a priority!
Yes! 3/4 have submitted for me. Like damn, y'all know what's up.

I'm having the crappiest couple weeks and I somewhat dropped the ball on asking my evaluators. I mean, yeah it's still early so I'm going to get it done no problem but I had intended to have this handled and out of the way a couple weeks ago. Bleh.

On the bright side I started ripping up my PS and putting it back together so that's good.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm having the crappiest couple weeks and I somewhat dropped the ball on asking my evaluators. I mean, yeah it's still early so I'm going to get it done no problem but I had intended to have this handled and out of the way a couple weeks ago. Bleh.

On the bright side I started ripping up my PS and putting it back together so that's good.

I feel like I'm in the same boat as you! I have officially sent one request out and emailed a former professor for another one. I need to ask one of the vets I work with just can't decide who yet.

I'm feeling the same way, too. Though I've been really stuck on my PS and have no idea where to go from here. Been trying to brainstorm, but it's definitely been a struggle.

How long should we give our evaluators to write one? I have 3 down but two more vets I was going to ask. I was going to wait until the first of July to ask in order to give them some more time to know me better.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

I did that and then had some lovely grammatical errors due to rewording and rearranging things that I completely missed. Thank god for reviewers. It still needs work though.

I'm disappointed that one of my potential evaluators basically gave a super unenthusiastic response when I asked her. After a long pause she said she would "try" to write me a good one. :cool: I only shadowed her for ~30 hrs but we were in the car for so much time together during my shadowing days that I felt like we got to know each other. She let me draw blood and stuff that day so I thought it would be a good time to ask and continue shadowing through out the year. I probably asked too soon but I wanted to give plenty of time. Boo.

I'm disappointed that one of my potential evaluators basically gave a super unenthusiastic response when I asked her. After a long pause she said she would "try" to write me a good one. :cool: I only shadowed her for ~30 hrs but we were in the car for so much time together during my shadowing days that I felt like we got to know each other. She let me draw blood and stuff that day so I thought it would be a good time to ask and continue shadowing through out the year. I probably asked too soon but I wanted to give plenty of time. Boo.
Yikes. Not sure you want her to write you one if she responded like that! Most people that plan to write you a really good letter respond with enthusiasm and let you know they'd really love to do it for you.

How long should we give our evaluators to write one? I have 3 down but two more vets I was going to ask. I was going to wait until the first of July to ask in order to give them some more time to know me better.

I try to ask as early as I can so they can look at you with an eye toward evaluations. Don't spring it on them at the last second, yes I know you weren't going to just a friendly reminder. I asked mine months ago actually and just kept reminding them that it opens in may but isn't due until later, I think I said August. They had PLENTY of time to think it over. Good luck to everyone.

I'm feeling the same way, too. Though I've been really stuck on my PS and have no idea where to go from here. Been trying to brainstorm, but it's definitely been a struggle.
Honestly the PS is the worst part of whole application process in my opinion. The only reason mine is anything close to decent is because I've chosen a couple ppl on here to help give me suggestion and edits. I have found it can be a little too much having too many read your PS, bc everyone has a different opinion. For me, just sticking w like 3 ppl and doing it little by little is how I managed. And now I'm just about done!

Honestly the PS is the worst part of whole application process in my opinion. The only reason mine is anything close to decent is because I've chosen a couple ppl on here to help give me suggestion and edits. I have found it can be a little too much having too many read your PS, bc everyone has a different opinion. For me, just sticking w like 3 ppl and doing it little by little is how I managed. And now I'm just about done!

Yeah, I've had quite a few people look at my original PS, but I think I've narrowed it down to 2-3 people who seemed to give the most thoughtful and thorough feedback. I'm at a point at which the general consensus is that I need to rewrite most of mine. There's just a lot of pressure, since I need a really, REALLY good PS to [hopefully] warrant my consideration as a candidate despite my GPA. The pressure tends to make me avoid it at all costs, but I've been trying really hard to just think about it, read other examples, and just try to come up with good ways to express myself.

Yeah, I've had quite a few people look at my original PS, but I think I've narrowed it down to 2-3 people who seemed to give the most thoughtful and thorough feedback. I'm at a point at which the general consensus is that I need to rewrite most of mine. There's just a lot of pressure, since I need a really, REALLY good PS to [hopefully] warrant my consideration as a candidate despite my GPA. The pressure tends to make me avoid it at all costs, but I've been trying really hard to just think about it, read other examples, and just try to come up with good ways to express myself.
Yes! Reading others' successful PS has really really helped me too. It sort of gets the juices flowing and makes you realize, "oh yeah, I could write about that and talk about what I learned, etc." I will scour the Internet for PS that I personally relate to, and then I feel inspired and can whip out a good paragraph or two. (Un)fortunately, we can only write 4500 characters, so do this a couple times and before you know it, you've got a good chunk of paragraphs that you can edit into a PS.

I talked to mine in April and gave them a July deadline. I just wanted to make sure they had plenty of time.

So should I ask them right now? I don't want to seem pushy. One just requested my resume to work in her cancer lab, but she wasn't sure what they had open. She knows I'm applying this year and knows what I'm interested in. I help her with ultrasounds on patients. You think she knows me well enough? The other vet is one I'm helping research with that happens to be on the committee. These are experiences that I'll be doing all summer..

I would ask them now, so that they're prepared and that they know that they need to evaluate you for a LOR. I asked mine like "I was wondering if after this summer, you would be willing to write my LOR for veterinary school"

So should I ask them right now? I don't want to seem pushy. One just requested my resume to work in her cancer lab, but she wasn't sure what they had open. She knows I'm applying this year and knows what I'm interested in. I help her with ultrasounds on patients. You think she knows me well enough? The other vet is one I'm helping research with that happens to be on the committee. These are experiences that I'll be doing all summer..

You know you're situation best. Personally, I'd ask anyone who you've worked with before as soon as you can. If you haven't worked with someone yet and need a letter from them, you may want to wait as long as you can to get the strongest letter possible.

Yikes. Not sure you want her to write you one if she responded like that! Most people that plan to write you a really good letter respond with enthusiasm and let you know they'd really love to do it for you.

Yeah I'm definitely not. I'm still going to keep shadowing and hope its not too awkward :)

On the plus side, the vet I work for was super enthusiastic and said a lot of nice things when I asked her so I know I have one really good one!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'd ask. Just to save yourself trouble. You can always remind evaluators need be. You dont want to be reminding your evaluator a week before its due, like I had to.

Yeah I'm definitely not. I'm still going to keep shadowing and hope its not too awkward :)

On the plus side, the vet I work for was super enthusiastic and said a lot of nice things when I asked her so I know I have one really good one!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Yeah, mine all responded with "I'd LOVE to! It'd be an honor!" And the like. I'd be kinda worried if one was like "eh I guess I can try to make time." You still have until September to get to know some more vets there, and / or elsewhere. Most ppl are glad to write letters for someone with a good work ethic, sense of learning, understanding of the field, etc, etc, etc. so just rock it and I think you'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah maybe not ask them to write one now, but I'd probably ask if they could potentially write one in the future. That way they have it in the back of their minds. This is totally dependent on your situation of course, so you should do what you think is best because you know your situation best.

That sounds good. Thanks guys! Hopefully she will respond to my resume this weeks and I'll respond by asking her for an eLor at the end of the summer.

So I threw my back out again 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten anything productive done for the app in that time. I still have 4 of the 5 evaluators to ask and haven't even started rewriting my PS. Bleh. Hoping to get things back on track in the next few weeks.

So I threw my back out again 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten anything productive done for the app in that time. I still have 4 of the 5 evaluators to ask and haven't even started rewriting my PS. Bleh. Hoping to get things back on track in the next few weeks.
If it helps, I haven't gotten much done lately either. Sent my first LOR request out the week it opened (hasn't been answered yet), will be asking for the vet one at the end of this week once I finish up my hours, and haven't done any PS revisions either (sorry @rockatiel ! Received and read your edits, just haven't actually sat down to rewrite still...). I've been preparing for registering for an online class and finally starting at the internship in a couple short weeks, so I don't have anything to do on VMCAS at the moment besides requesting evaluations and working on the dang PS...have no idea where I really want to go with that thing :dead: Maybe I should look at online examples for inspiration. When I wrote/submitted the first version last cycle I had only read a law-school PS.

Reactions: 1 users
I was briefly productive. All my transcripts are entered, but the mix of semesters vs quarters isn't coming out right. Also, I have no clue how to figure out when I was switched undergrad years. I have military classes starting in 1994, college starting in 2001, 178 semester hours completed as of today and I still have 29 to go for my BA.

Question: I am having some trouble narrowing down my experience section where you describe what you did in the experience. Every experience I have gotten to the 600 character limit and still had some more to put in. Any suggestions or advice on how to write this in a concise manner or select what to include and what not to?

Question: I am having some trouble narrowing down my experience section where you describe what you did in the experience. Every experience I have gotten to the 600 character limit and still had some more to put in. Any suggestions or advice on how to write this in a concise manner or select what to include and what not to?
Give an example of a specific experience and I'm sure we could help you widdle it down. Or maybe pm someone if you're more comfortable.

Stoopid question and my apologies if this was already mentioned in this thread (I skimmed through and didn't see anything at first glance).

Would anyone happen to know what the evaluations comprise of? Is it essentially a letter of recommendation and then a little questionnaire about us? I'm in the process of asking for my LORs now and I wasn't sure what our evaluators had to do for the evaluations? Is it just a questionnaire? Or just a letter?

Thanks!

There is a questionnaire with the sliding scale markers. There is also an option to include a document attachment. I believe the general consensus is the schools don't care about the scales, just the letter the references provide. I know this is a fact for Iowa State's application process.

What are your views on a LOR that hi lights and explains character, maturity, and compassion? I was thinking of doing 4- two from vets I work with, one from an English professor that absolutely loved me/ I did super well in that class, and the fourth from my high school band director that I've known for about 10 years now who has witnessed my maturity and all that fun stuff schools look for

What are your views on a LOR that hi lights and explains character, maturity, and compassion? I was thinking of doing 4- two from vets I work with, one from an English professor that absolutely loved me/ I did super well in that class, and the fourth from my high school band director that I've known for about 10 years now who has witnessed my maturity and all that fun stuff schools look for

I think it's good to have letters that speak about different aspects of you. If you have 3 letters that say the same thing vs 3 letters that speak about different parts of you, the second option is going to give admissions a better feel for who you really are. I think a lot of people get too hung up on so and so being a big name. Admissions isn't evaluating so and so, they're evaluating you. Just because the reference doesn't have a DVM or a PhD doesn't mean that they can't provide an important perspective on you.

Last edited:
If I have already taken the first two quarters of physics at a four year university would it be bad if I took the last half at a community college (which has classes in semester blocks). So I would essentially be repeating a small portion of the 2nd quarter. I am asking because I would be saving about $1000 by taking it at the community college. Would schools not like that I didn't take it all at the 4 year?

If I have already taken the first two quarters of physics at a four year university would it be bad if I took the last half at a community college (which has classes in semester blocks). So I would essentially be repeating a small portion of the 2nd quarter. I am asking because I would be saving about $1000 by taking it at the community college. Would schools not like that I didn't take it all at the 4 year?

I'm sure you'll be fine. Save that money! Check with your schools you're applying to and see but for just physics, I'm sure you'll be fine! (I'm currently taking physics at community college at it only cost me $239 for the entire summer. I was shocked!!!)

If you get veterinary experience that counts for school credit does it not count or not look as good? I went on a two week study abroad veterinary trip and I was planning on getting school credit for it but not if the experience won't count as much some how. I can't imagine ad comms would downgrade an experience for this reason but I just want to be totally positive.

I think it's good to have letters that speak about different aspects of you. If you have 3 letters that say the same thing vs 3 letters that speak about different parts of you, the second option is going to give admissions a better feel for who you really are. I think a lot of people get too hung up on so and so being a big name. Admissions isn't evaluating so and so, they're evaluating you. Just because the reference doesn't have a DVM or a PhD doesn't mean that they can't provide an important perspective on you.

Well.

Yes, you want thorough 'coverage'. But the flip side is that if all three letters say different things, I'd be wondering which one of them REALLY knows this person. If, on the other hand, every single letter said that this person has skills X, Y, and Z .... I'd believe it pretty firmly.

I think your entire application should be a cohesive package with internal consistency and a single trajectory. If in your PS you make claims about your assets/skills/whatever, they should be backed up by your experiences, which should be backed up by the letters. You provide that kind of consistency in your application and it says a LOT.

You might want to check with the schools your applying to. I took two quarters of physics and I don't need anything else. A couple schools specified three quarters and I sent them my syllabus and they said it was fine. So you might not even need that CC credit!

You might want to check with the schools your applying to. I took two quarters of physics and I don't need anything else. A couple schools specified three quarters and I sent them my syllabus and they said it was fine. So you might not even need that CC credit!
Thank you!! I will definitely be doing this...today!

May I ask which schools you asked? BTW got replies back from the schools already and they were perfectly fine with the two quarters of physics only!! :banana:

May I ask which schools you asked? BTW got replies back from the schools already and they were perfectly fine with the two quarters of physics only!! :banana:

Tufts and I think some others, but I can't remember. I'll have to double check, because I'm not sure which ones I asked and which one I didn't lol. Which ones did you ask?

Edit: I didn't ask Washington because they only require 1 semester, or Colorado because the don't require physics at all. Ohio no longer requires physics so I didn't ask there either. Pretty sure I still have to ask Florida. Iowa also only requires one semester or two quarters of physics so you're good there. UC Davis requires two semester OR two quarters so you're good there as well.

Last edited:
image.png
Tufts and I think some others, but I can't remember. I'll have to double check, because I'm not sure which ones I asked and which one I didn't lol. Which ones did you ask?

Edit: I didn't ask Washington because they only require 1 semester, or Colorado because the don't require physics at all. Ohio no longer requires physics so I didn't ask there either. Pretty sure I still have to ask Florida. Iowa also only requires one semester or two quarters of physics so you're good there. UC Davis requires two semester OR two quarters so you're good there as well.
CSU requires physics 1. You need a C- or better

I emailed several! Ohio, Cornell, KSU, LMU, Michigan, Missi State, Iowa, UCD, Illinois, Missouri, Tufts, and VA.

KSU, LMU, MS state, UCD, and VA all replied that the two quarters were acceptable. Missouri was the only one so far that required a whole sequence (1 year) of phys. So this is definitely helping to cut my list down haha.

I emailed several! Ohio, Cornell, KSU, LMU, Michigan, Missi State, Iowa, UCD, Illinois, Missouri, Tufts, and VA.

KSU, LMU, MS state, UCD, and VA all replied that the two quarters were acceptable. Missouri was the only one so far that required a whole sequence (1 year) of phys. So this is definitely helping to cut my list down haha.

That's awesome!