Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone has probably asked this already but now that I'm putting my experiences into the actual app (as opposed to a separate doc) I need to make a decision on this...

I have an experience at one clinic. I started out shadowing randomly, then I was hired to a temporary position and worked part time, now they don't need me as much again so I work what I believe is per diem.

Is this one experience or multiple? And if it is one experience what do I classify it as? (Volunteer vs Compensated? Part time vs Temporary vs Per Diem?)

Quoting myself because I'm still unsure and now it's on the last page.

(And if people are anything like me, sometimes they just skip to the current page ;))

Members don't see this ad.

(And if people are anything like me, sometimes they just skip to the current page ;))

I also started out shadowing at a clinic and was later hired part time! I listed it as one experience and categorized it as part time and compensated since that was how I spent the majority of my time there. :)

Reactions: 1 user

I would probably list it as whatever you spent the majority of your time as, unless you had drastically different responsibilities and it made more sense to list those separately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also applying to vet school during the current application cycle to UC Davis, Kansas, Oregon, Iowa, and Colorado :)

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone have recommendations for free study prep for the GRE? I already took it once this summer and my scores were at about the average for the schools I'm applying to except for Davis (just a couple points below) so I want to take it again since I'm from California& it'd be nice to stay in state.

Good luck to everyone!!

I'm also applying to vet school during the current application cycle to UC Davis, Kansas, Oregon, Iowa, and Colorado :)

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone have recommendations for free study prep for the GRE? I already took it once this summer and my scores were at about the average for the schools I'm applying to except for Davis (just a couple points below) so I want to take it again since I'm from California& it'd be nice to stay in state.

Good luck to everyone!!

Magoosh vocab app is free I think I know I could also check out books, workbooks, and flash cards from my undergrad's career development center!

i know this question has already been asked but i'm taking a class in the fall and and VMCAS won't let me add anything past 2014....how can i add for 2016?

Good luck to everyone!!
MyGRETutor has some free portions. You can also find free practice exams on the ETS website.

i know this question has already been asked but i'm taking a class in the fall and and VMCAS won't let me add anything past 2014....how can i add for 2016?
Must be a glitch. You should contact their customer support.

One of my evaluations is finally submitted! :happy:
I need to check up on number two soon but I'm not terribly worried because she wrote me one last year. Number three is my vet and I know she just wants to see me in the clinic again before she writes it so she can see my progress or something to that effect. If they all follow the deadline I gave them, then all should be in by the 20th (of August) and then hopefully I will be ready to submit.

Did you put that you graduated or finished at that school in 2014? I found that it limited me to entering for dates that I had indicated I was at the school (so I attended a school from 2001-2005, but then took a class in 2008 at the school - I had to change my end date at the school to 2008 for it to allow me to enter). Maybe you already thought of that, but just in case :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone have recommendations for free study prep for the GRE?

Hi there! I used this PDF from GRE for the math section and I found it helpful to assist me in organizing the major concepts I would be expected to know. There are also practice questions at the end of each section. I don't think it's enough on it's own for the quant part, but could be helpful in conjunction with other free services that previous posters have suggested :)

https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_math_review.pdf

To all the 2nd time applicants out there that had their experiences transfer out of order.... did you opt to delete everything and re-enter or were you ok with the... "the application typically groups the experiences by experience type regardless when submitting" response from VMCAS and left things as is?

To all the 2nd time applicants out there that had their experiences transfer out of order.... did you opt to delete everything and re-enter or were you ok with the... "the application typically groups the experiences by experience type regardless when submitting" response from VMCAS and left things as is?

I put it off for awhile but after asking a vet student running an admissions workshop I took... I went with her advice and deleted it all and am re-entering. It's tedious, sure, but the experiences were really kind of a mess and I don't want to run the risk that they don't re-order. Can't trust VMCAS on that honestly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I put it off for awhile but after asking a vet student running an admissions workshop I took... I went with her advice and deleted it all and am re-entering. It's tedious, sure, but the experiences were really kind of a mess and I don't want to run the risk that they don't re-order. Can't trust VMCAS on that honestly.
I put in my experiences unbelievably out of order last year because I kept remembering things I did after the fact and I was in no way going to reorder them. However they turned out, (when I printed out the VMCAS section they were still out of order), I don't believe it affected any decisions made by the ad coms. Just my experience.

I have searched for an answer, but didn't find anything on this: how are you guys listing certifications on your VMCAS? For example, I did a training workshop for bacterial endotoxin testing and got a little certificate thing for it at work, but I don't know if that's an "award?" It's def not a scholarship. Maybe but probably not an honor? The FAQ page didn't address this. I can email tony and ask, but figured I'd see if anyone had some insight.
I listed my certifications (CPR/First Aid, college credit program certificate) under awards...after all it was awarded even if maybe you didn't feel particularly special about the piece of paper, hah. If it was a talk, symposium, or lecture I went to I put it under experiences, you might consider that instead since the training could be considered an experience and you could put the certification in your description.

Did you put that you graduated or finished at that school in 2014? I found that it limited me to entering for dates that I had indicated I was at the school (so I attended a school from 2001-2005, but then took a class in 2008 at the school - I had to change my end date at the school to 2008 for it to allow me to enter). Maybe you already thought of that, but just in case :)

I had not thought of that! Thank you!

"Sorry if this has been asked before, my search didn't come up with anything at least :p When assigning courses for each schools' prereqs in the program materials section do you list every single course you've taken that can fulfill that requirement? For example Edinburgh wants inorganic chemistry and it lists Minimum credits: 1 and Minimum grades: 1 . I have 3 inorganic chemistry classes (from a quarter system) can I just pick the one I did the best in? Or do I have to list all three? I know they end up looking at all your grades anyway but I was just curious."

Was still wondering about this! Thanks! :)

"Sorry if this has been asked before, my search didn't come up with anything at least :p When assigning courses for each schools' prereqs in the program materials section do you list every single course you've taken that can fulfill that requirement? For example Edinburgh wants inorganic chemistry and it lists Minimum credits: 1 and Minimum grades: 1 . I have 3 inorganic chemistry classes (from a quarter system) can I just pick the one I did the best in? Or do I have to list all three? I know they end up looking at all your grades anyway but I was just curious."

Take this with a grain of salt because that part of the application did not exist when I applied, but it seems to me that you just put whichever class you want to fill that requirement - so your best one. Before VMCAS integrated that part there were a couple schools that had you fill out a prereq chart (UF comes to mind) as part of their supplemental, so it's a similar thing, you just pick a class that fills the requirement.

Must be a glitch. You should contact their customer support.

Did you

At first I put every course that qualified (so even though they were just looking for 1 semester of organic chemistry, I put both semesters). I talked with the admissions director at Cornell during a tour and she said they only want whatever fills the requirement. So if they only require 1 semester of organic chemistry, they only want you to put one semester there.

So I just requested my transcripts from Athabascu U where I took a physics course this summer for my applications and on my transcript there is a Business Math course that I started about 3 years ago back I was in my previous undergrad. I withdrew from it after a couple months and since then I had completely forgot it was on there, so it shows up as a W on my transcript. Any one else apply with Withdrawn courses on their transcript? I am really worried it is going to affect my application!! Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

So I just requested my transcripts from Athabascu U where I took a physics course this summer for my applications and on my transcript there is a Business Math course that I started about 3 years ago back I was in my previous undergrad. I withdrew from it after a couple months and since then I had completely forgot it was on there, so it shows up as a W on my transcript. Any one else apply with Withdrawn courses on their transcript? I am really worried it is going to affect my application!! Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

I'm currently applying and have a single W. Professor from hell, decided to cut my losses. (Did well the next semester in the same class). Most people seem to agree that one or two is no big deal. I wouldn't worry.

Does anyone know if there is a problem submitting my app before all of my evaluators have sent in an evaluation? I have 4 evaluators, 3 of which have already sent in their evals. If I want to submit before the 4th has finished their eval (so that i can get verified earlier), would they be able to submit their evaluation afterwards (say late august?) or should I wait until all 4 have submitted their evals before submitting my application?

Does anyone know if there is a problem submitting my app before all of my evaluators have sent in an evaluation? I have 4 evaluators, 3 of which have already sent in their evals. If I want to submit before the 4th has finished their eval (so that i can get verified earlier), would they be able to submit their evaluation afterwards (say late august?) or should I wait until all 4 have submitted their evals before submitting my application?

All your LOR must be in before submitting your application

VMCAS 2017: Some Notes on Changes

The VMCAS 2017 application cycle is well underway and over 5,000 individuals are working on their application.

VMCAS staff is working hard on making sure your application cycle goes smoothly, and to date, we've already verified over 100 applications!! (Keep up the good work!). This year, the VMCASapplication has had minimal changes to the applicant portal. But, like every cycle, some tweaks were made to how your application get through the system.

The most notable change for this year, in terms of process, is the removal of the requirement of having a minimum of three (3) eLORs received by VMCAS in order for your application to enter the verification queue. We felt that getting your application pushed through to transcript verification was more important than waiting for eLORs to arrive. However, you must have at least three eLORs registered in order for your application to be considered for verification.

We've also stepped up our customer service functions for you this year. We've developed a tool to help you get the answers you need. The tool is called, "FreshDesk" and can be found HERE. This tool will give you an interactive instructions tool as well as the ability to create a VMCAShelp ticket. We think this added tool will supplement the customer services that are already in place, and we hope you'll use it to aid your application submission.

- Tony Wynne, Director of VMCAS

Still might not be a bad idea to double check with VMCAS though.

All your LOR must be in before submitting your application
That is incorrect.
From the VMCAS Help pages.
Transcripts and Evaluations are Not Required to Submit
You may submit your application at any time once the required information has been entered on the online application, regardless as to whether or not your transcripts and evaluations have been received by VMCAS. Please note, however, that VMCAS will NOT move your application to the verification queue until all required transcripts and payments have been received, which is required to move your application to “complete” status. Once your application is complete, it will be placed in line for verification.
https://portal.vmcas.org/vmcasHelpP...ocess/e-submitting-the-application/index.html

So, your transcripts need to be in for you to move into the verification queue, but evaluations do not.

As long as you have sent them requests, they should have time before the September 15th deadline to submit their Evals. VMCAS says it's fine to submit your app for verifying once the letter requests have been sent, even if the letters aren't submitted yet.

My bad! Thanks for the info! I had no idea about the change :)
Even before the rule change, you only needed 3 evals in to go into the verification queue and additional ones could be submitted later as long as it was before the deadline, so wouldn't have been a problem anyway :)

Thankful that 3 have submitted and I'm waiting on two more!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I listed my certifications (CPR/First Aid, college credit program certificate) under awards...after all it was awarded even if maybe you didn't feel particularly special about the piece of paper, hah. If it was a talk, symposium, or lecture I went to I put it under experiences, you might consider that instead since the training could be considered an experience and you could put the certification in your description.
Brilliant. Thanks!

I'm currently applying and have a single W. Professor from hell, decided to cut my losses. (Did well the next semester in the same class). Most people seem to agree that one or two is no big deal. I wouldn't worry.

Thats a relief, thank you! Did you mention the W in your explanation statement?

I had one W. Although it was an awful professor and a bad situation, in the explanation statement I mentioned only that I withdrew because I was unprepared for the class, which was also very true. I followed that up with "retook class the next year and earned an A and a better understanding of my own capabilities", just to kinda put that subject to bed in case they wondered if I ever did end up taking Precalculus. haha.

Thats a relief, thank you! Did you mention the W in your explanation statement?

No. I think mentioning a single W in an explanation statement is way overkill. Life happens. I'm of the opinion that the explanation statement should be reserved for much greater occurrences. I'm leaving mine completely blank.

I separated mine out into multiple experiences. I made separate entries for intern, kennels and vet tech with hours for each, but I had to because not all of it was veterinary experience.

Good luck to everyone!!

This link allows you to download a program through ETS (the test makers) that includes two full length practice tests.

For me, it was very helpful to see the exact test format before taking the exam. At least for me, it was pretty spot on in predicting question difficulty and what my score ended up being. Also, the 5lb book of questions through Manhattan and The GRE for Dummies were both helpful.

I separated mine out into multiple experiences. I made separate entries for intern, kennels and vet tech with hours for each, but I had to because not all of it was veterinary experience.

Mine is all veterinary experience, there's just a difference in whether I was compensated and the status of my work. I have a description written out for if I combine them and it mentions that I transitioned from shadowing to working. I think in my case that may be sufficient?

Mine is all veterinary experience, there's just a difference in whether I was compensated and the status of my work. I have a description written out for if I combine them and it mentions that I transitioned from shadowing to working. I think in my case that may be sufficient?
My somewhat uneducated guess is that is perfectly fine :) It definitely sounds like it would work.

So I took the GRE a year ago and bombed. Got 147 Q and 150 V. Studied moderately for past 6 months with magoosh and I just took two practice tests using powerprep that came with the ets GRE prep book. Got a 151 Q and 159 V on first test which I thought was actually WAY easier than magoosh practice tests and I felt really confident (and relieved). Then I just took the second test and got 154 Q and 158 V even though I thought it was way harder and I guessed on a lot of stuff? Standardized testing doesn't make sense to me :sour:

So I took the GRE a year ago and bombed. Got 147 Q and 150 V. Studied moderately for past 6 months with magoosh and I just took two practice tests using powerprep that came with the ets GRE prep book. Got a 151 Q and 159 V on first test which I thought was actually WAY easier than magoosh practice tests and I felt really confident (and relieved). Then I just took the second test and got 154 Q and 158 V even though I thought it was way harder and I guessed on a lot of stuff? Standardized testing doesn't make sense to me :sour:

I did what you did. Scored okay on first ETS test, scored better Q and slightly worse V on second test. On the actual GRE, I scored in the middle of the two practice Q scores and way higher than either practice V score. Standardized testing doesn't make sense because it can't truly be standardized, so I agree with you! Then again, it's also more objective than just relying on some person in a dark room evaluating your application, so pluses and minuses I guess.

Just thought I'd ask for your opinions on this:
I have been applying around for a job during the school year and found a really neat job at the teaching hospital that would look great on my application. Unfortunately, I was not hired because of my "available hours" (I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling a little let down). Since I am applying this year and this will hopefully be my last year of undergrad, what do you all think? Should I keep trying to find other places, or should I just not worry about it and focus entirely on school? My parents are financially supportive of me and want me to focus on academics, but I was looking for something to boost my application (and my bank account). But because I live in a small town with an overload of pre-vet students, these kind of opportunities are hard to find. :(

Just thought I'd ask for your opinions on this:
I have been applying around for a job during the school year and found a really neat job at the teaching hospital that would look great on my application. Unfortunately, I was not hired because of my "available hours" (I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling a little let down). Since I am applying this year and this will hopefully be my last year of undergrad, what do you all think? Should I keep trying to find other places, or should I just not worry about it and focus entirely on school? My parents are financially supportive of me and want me to focus on academics, but I was looking for something to boost my application (and my bank account). But because I live in a small town with an overload of pre-vet students, these kind of opportunities are hard to find. :(

Maybe try finding one or two volunteer or research positions, either at the hospital or a nearby shelter? So long as you're gaining field experience/working with a veterinarian, I figure it'll still help your application. Otherwise just focus on getting the best GPA you can, and if for some reason you don't get in this cycle you could potentially parlay that into a paying gig as well as having a good GPA set for next time.

FeenyFee I feel your pain!!! I did even worse Q (142) if that makes you feel any better and 155 (V). Honestly, I was super upset at first, but given how expensive it is I am not writing it again. Standardized testing has never been my strong point, especially math problems. I am also glad that some of the UK schools I am applying to don't require the GRE scores.

FeenyFee I feel your pain!!! I did even worse Q (142) if that makes you feel any better and 155 (V). Honestly, I was super upset at first, but given how expensive it is I am not writing it again. Standardized testing has never been my strong point, especially math problems. I am also glad that some of the UK schools I am applying to don't require the GRE scores.

Oh my gosh I totally understand!! Its definitely frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Finally finished my draft of the personal statement and its around 8000 characters! Now the fun part of figuring out how to cut this thing in half.

Anyone applying to the University of Illinois? That supplement essay is putting me through the ringer. I just can't seem to find anything good to write about...

So I've been going back and forth about whether I should use my explanation statement or not. I originally wasn't going to use it, but after listening in to a webinar with Virginia Maryland's vet school, I'm now second guessing myself. If I was to use it, it would be to write about my last two years in college. I was working close to full time and taking 16-17 hours of classes so my grades suffered. Plus I had a lot of mental personal issues going on. But I'm in grad school now and am working a lot and getting great grades which I feel shows I can handle stress. Don't know if it's worth mentioning my bad grades in undergrad since my current status shows my improvement and how I've learned to cope with stress. Any suggestions?

So I've been going back and forth about whether I should use my explanation statement or not. I originally wasn't going to use it, but after listening in to a webinar with Virginia Maryland's vet school, I'm now second guessing myself. If I was to use it, it would be to write about my last two years in college. I was working close to full time and taking 16-17 hours of classes so my grades suffered. Plus I had a lot of mental personal issues going on. But I'm in grad school now and am working a lot and getting great grades which I feel shows I can handle stress. Don't know if it's worth mentioning my bad grades in undergrad since my current status shows my improvement and how I've learned to cope with stress. Any suggestions?

I guess it depends what you mean by bad grades?

Last edited:

If you feel it merits an explanation then by all means use it. I'm in a similar boat so I used it to briefly explain how I got there, yadda yadda yadda.

Anyone applying to the University of Illinois? That supplement essay is putting me through the ringer. I just can't seem to find anything good to write about...
What is the essay about this year?