Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I took the GRE the other day and used my four free score reports for a few schools. I'm applying to more than four schools though, so now I need to pay for extra. Does anyone know if I have to wait for my official scores to come in before I order more score reports? I'm worried that if I order reports now, they'll just send my old scores from a few years ago.

On the order scores screen for the GRE it will ask you which scores you'd like to send, so if you're not sure you can check there. I would probably wait until all the scores come through though, it should only take a couple of days.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Back to personal statements... I'm struggling. I have some serious writer's block, so I'm working on outlining and making sure I'm answering all parts of the prompt. I'm stuck on "Discuss your understanding of the veterinary medical profession." I know that schools look for maturity and understanding of vet med, but I don't know how to get that across. Are the rest of you answering this by talking about what you learned from your veterinary/animal experiences? Addressing it more explicitly? Some other option I haven't thought of?

Back to personal statements... I'm struggling. I have some serious writer's block, so I'm working on outlining and making sure I'm answering all parts of the prompt. I'm stuck on "Discuss your understanding of the veterinary medical profession." I know that schools look for maturity and understanding of vet med, but I don't know how to get that across. Are the rest of you answering this by talking about what you learned from your veterinary/animal experiences? Addressing it more explicitly? Some other option I haven't thought of?

I don't address it explicitly. I just try to make my understanding of the profession clear as I discuss my experiences, goals, etc.

I'm struggling with the personal statement too so I feel you. I've got one paragraph left that I'm working on but I'd really like it to be two paragraphs. Then I have to look the whole thing over again because I'm mildly worried it might be too similar to what I submitted last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad I'm not the only one struggling with the personal statement still. Mine is approx half as long as it should be and I'm probably saying way too much about my short lived career in human resources (that is not a joke, that is about as far removed from an Animal Science degree as you can get) but I figure if I write everything down it'll be easier to just delete things than try to figure out what else to say later.

Reactions: 1 users

I was very explicit, I told them that this is what I believe the veterinary profession to be. I like it, but it won't work for everybody. This process is grueling, because you don't really know who's going to be reading this or what they're looking for.

I hated writing my personal statement. I actually caught myself rolling my eyes at it several times (in an, oh-god-this-sounds-terrible kind of way). I needed a lot of editorial help. My process that worked for me, was to just write down everything that came into my head. I had an eight-page single spaced PS at one point, which I then chopped the best/most compelling parts out of and rewrote a shorter one featuring just those parts that I felt were most accurate/relevant.

I'm actually fairly confident with my writing, but its been hard for me to sell myself. I'm still reworking mine and honestly starting to panic that I'm cutting things too close.

I'm actually fairly confident with my writing, but its been hard for me to sell myself. I'm still reworking mine and honestly starting to panic that I'm cutting things too close.

Don't worry - I had a fully written personal statement by the end of May, and I was just looking it over again this morning to do any final edits... then I decided I hated it and deleted the whole thing. Several cups of coffee later, I'm about halfway through my new one which I like much more. I think cutting things close is fine as long as you're doing what you feel is best (and that you ultimately get everything submitted on time, of course). You're not the only one! ;)

I'm rereading my personal statement and internally cringing at how corny I sound. Trying to find the balance between being interesting but not too involved. A lot of the personal statements I read start with an elaborate story which seems really nice but every time I try to do that it comes off sounding dumb.

On a positive note my eval's are all in! Woohoo!

Don't worry - I had a fully written personal statement by the end of May, and I was just looking it over again this morning to do any final edits... then I decided I hated it and deleted the whole thing. Several cups of coffee later, I'm about halfway through my new one which I like much more. I think cutting things close is fine as long as you're doing what you feel is best (and that you ultimately get everything submitted on time, of course). You're not the only one! ;)
Thanks, nice to know I have company! Hopefully I can get it submitted in time. I just worry about something being wrong with my transcripts and not having time to fix it, that kind of thing. Good luck with your new statement though!

So for the schools that require pre-reqs to be inputted on VMCAS, what do you do if you do not have the pre-req? For example with Edinburgh, they told me that one of my three Chemistry courses that featured 1/2 organic chem could maybe qualify as my Organic Chem pre-req, however it is not on my transcripts as organic so I feel I cannot put it in as such. For those of you that have gotten to the further stages of apps/are applying again, is this an issue? Will it let me submit my application if I am missing a pre-req? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm jealous. I'm not expecting my last two evaluators to submit for another week. I'll be biting my nails in the meantime.
One of my eLORs submitted the day it was due. It was probably the best recommendation I've ever had written about me, but about gave me an ulcer waiting for her.

Reactions: 2 users
Out of curiosity, what is the lowest amount of hours you have listed for one of your veterinary eLORs? I have 70 hours listed for one and I was just wondering if that seemed low. She said she had plenty to write and it was positive so I don't think it matters too much.

Its hard depending on other people! You just want them in NOW. Haha.

One of my eLORs submitted the day it was due. It was probably the best recommendation I've ever had written about me, but about gave me an ulcer waiting for her.

Haha, I'm trying not to let it get to me because both of these people wrote letters for me last year and they didn't submit until 2 days before the deadline I gave them so this is normal for them. I don't have back up LORs though so it is hard to be sitting around waiting.

Same, I had one submitted the Friday before it was due. The recommender loves me to death though and I know it was probably the single best letter I had out of three people who all loved me. Her husband has even talked about trying to adopt me before, lol. She would tell everyone she knew how excited she was to write a letter for me and how she was proud of me and stuff like that.

Really helped the self esteem, but not the ulcers. I tricked her into thinking I didn't get in though, so we're even. :D

Finally finished my PS and so far all of the edits from other people have been positive. I was having major writers block for around a month.
I think one of the hardest parts of the application process to me is selling myself through the PS. I finally had to stop thinking about what other people would want to see written, and write what I truly care about. I'm glad to say I'm very happy with how it turned out. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Same, I had one submitted the Friday before it was due. The recommender loves me to death though and I know it was probably the single best letter I had out of three people who all loved me. Her husband has even talked about trying to adopt me before, lol. She would tell everyone she knew how excited she was to write a letter for me and how she was proud of me and stuff like that.

Really helped the self esteem, but not the ulcers. I tricked her into thinking I didn't get in though, so we're even. :D
I did that to my mother... not sure if she's forgiven me for that heart attack yet. :laugh:

So I took the GRE the other day and used my four free score reports for a few schools. I'm applying to more than four schools though, so now I need to pay for extra. Does anyone know if I have to wait for my official scores to come in before I order more score reports? I'm worried that if I order reports now, they'll just send my old scores from a few years ago.

No, you can order your scores right now even if they aren't posted yet. You will pick the schools want individually and then you will select the test date you want t send.

Out of curiosity, what is the lowest amount of hours you have listed for one of your veterinary eLORs? I have 70 hours listed for one and I was just wondering if that seemed low. She said she had plenty to write and it was positive so I don't think it matters too much.
If she says that she had a lot of positive things to say, then it's likely not worth worrying over. My veterinary eLOR was from a vet that I had pretty extensive experience (500+ hours) with, but she actually asked me about writing it once she found out that I was applying that year--I didn't even have to approach her.

Also, a general word of caution to everyone: I really, really recommend that you have at least four evaluators lined up. I was originally only going to have three but went with my gut and asked for an extra a couple of months into the summer--I am so glad that I did that, because one of them wound up unable to submit hers due to VMCAS bugging out. I know of at least one other member (@LyraGardenia) who had something similar happen, but unfortunately I think she was short one eLOR from the minimum and her IS school wouldn't consider her because of it. VMCAS isn't the most stable platform in the world and, trust me, once it gets close to submission date... it's going to be hell for your evaluators to try to get their stuff in if they procrastinated and, if they're unlucky and the application glitches, it may not go through at all. I'm hoping that the issue is resolved for this cycle, but somehow I doubt it. It's definitely a good idea to have a backup evaluator just in case.

Also, a general word of caution to everyone: I really, really recommend that you have at least four evaluators lined up. I was originally only going to have three but went with my gut and asked for an extra a couple of months into the summer--I am so glad that I did that, because one of them wound up unable to submit hers due to VMCAS bugging out. I know of at least one other member (@LyraGardenia) who had something similar happen, but unfortunately I think she was short one eLOR from the minimum and her IS school wouldn't consider her because of it. VMCAS isn't the most stable platform in the world and, trust me, once it gets close to submission date... it's going to be hell for your evaluators to try to get their stuff in if they procrastinated and, if they're unlucky and the application glitches, it may not go through at all. I'm hoping that the issue is resolved for this cycle, but somehow I doubt it. It's definitely a good idea to have a backup evaluator just in case.

I'm only applying to my IS and they only read three letters. Personally, I didn't feel comfortable asking someone for a letter that I know I'm not going to use.
I'm also confident that my evaluators will get their letters done because 2 of them wrote for me last year and the other one is already done and submitted.

I definitely support having back ups because things happen but if, like me, you only have 3 evaluators or if you only have one who meets a particular mandatory criteria (vet, professor, etc.) make sure you give them an earlier deadline than the actual VMCAS deadline, treat it like a hard deadline, and make sure to check in on their progress (but don't be a nag). My evaluations should all be in this week. If something went wrong with one of them trying to submit, I have a month to get it fixed.

Texas has an evaluation form they want filled out, no letters, and I've only asked two people so far because I'm behind the curve and it won't let me put in the two email addresses so they can fill out the evaluation without putting in all 3. This is a serious flaw in the form. Also a serious problem on my part. I'm just failing all around at this whole application thing. I mean the good news is I'm done other than the personal statement and evaluations. The two parts that probably matter the most besides my GPA.

Also for some reason TMDSAS wants to know my SAT scores which is both useless (I have a college GPA, I have GRE scores) and frustrating (have to call and get those scores).

THIS. Luckily it worked out in the end for me (other than having to pay OOS tuition), but yeesh, that was not fun.

But don't freak out if all your LORs aren't in just yet, they've still got a little over a month. Once there's less than a week left, then you can start freaking out. ;)
Also for some reason TMDSAS wants to know my SAT scores which is both useless (I have a college GPA, I have GRE scores) and frustrating (have to call and get those scores).
That is weird. I remember Mizzou's supplemental app asked for ACT and SAT scores, but you could just put a 0 if you didn't remember or never took it.

I'm also a nontraditional student that is leaving a tech job (I still work full-time while i'm doing my postbac, but obviously would leave if I get into vet school this coming cycle). graduated in 2003. Working at the school you are applying to certainly can't hurt. Good luck!

Hey, I'm a non-trad New Englander coming from the tech industry, too! Nice to see I'm not the only zebra on the plains. Good luck to you :D

Does anyone else want to fast forward to like, February or March so we know where the hell we will be this time next year? I like to mentally plan things like how I'm going to decorate our new house, where the best food is, what are the local breweries, etc for every move. Hell, maybe I won't even be moving if I get into my IS since it's about a mile down the road.
Patience is hard.

Right there with you...it's hard not to be able to make decisions about that sort of stuff in advance. Personally, I think it's one of the more stressful parts about applying as an older, married student, because there are two careers in the equation and the timeline to decide on housing, job offers, etc is really condensed. If I were a young whippersnapper, I'd be fine moving anywhere, but his job prospects have (rightfully) strictly limited where I'll be applying this cycle. But yeah, +1 to prioritizing local breweries & food for getting adjusted to a new spot ;)

Hey, I'm a non-trad New Englander coming from the tech industry, too! Nice to see I'm not the only zebra on the plains. Good luck to you :D

Seems like there are a few of us. It is nice to know others are in the same situation.

Going to try to submit my application on Monday :nailbiting: here's to hoping guys! Also, apparently my transcript will not be available to send until after the 23rd of August. I'm so angry, my professor already submitted the grade two weeks ago! Why does it take you a full month to put it on a piece of paper?!

Going to try to submit my application on Monday :nailbiting: here's to hoping guys! Also, apparently my transcript will not be available to send until after the 23rd of August. I'm so angry, my professor already submitted the grade two weeks ago! Why does it take you a full month to put it on a piece of paper?!
Lol I had the same question about my diploma. Grades finalized mid May, didn't get it until very late June because they had to check that I had actually received it and they could confer it to me.

NC State is very very competitive for out of state applicants and are particularly nit picky about their academic requirements. It is an absolutely fantastic school though, and I would never discourage you from applying, but I just thought I'd answer based off my experience last year. You can find their past year OOS stats on their website.

Madison is pretty competitive for OOS students. I think the stats were cGPA of 3.8 and GRE of mid 70% for accepted students OOS. Plus they only accept like 28 OOS at most.

For the experiences section should we be including extracurricular activities? I'm wondering because for things like clubs in high school, it's not volunteer, but you have to check something off to complete it. Any advice?

I've also heard that Wisconsin digs deep into their wait list so I'll take my chances by applying there.

For the experiences section should we be including extracurricular activities? I'm wondering because for things like clubs in high school, it's not volunteer, but you have to check something off to complete it. Any advice?

If I wasn't compensated and I didn't get academic credit then I marked it volunteer.
But yes, you can and should include extracurricular activities. They have a category specifically for extracurriculars.

Do y'all think the story of how I came to decline my offer of acceptance to western university BC of financial reasons is better suited for my PS or explanation statement? I can't decide

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey everybody! Can I get a late welcome? :whistle:

I've been lurking SDN for over a year and I was so excited to join this thread, knowing I was applying this cycle, but between actually working on my app, actually working both a job and research IRL, and traveling, I've had zero chances* to come meet ya'll... and 31 pages later I feel kinda bad. Do I need to read all the pages or will you let me in on the fun and craziness if I don't? :pompous: I'm eager to help out and maybe get a few questions answered!

Last edited:

I've been lurking SDN for over a year and I was so excited to join this thread, knowing I was applying this cycle, but between actually working on my app, actually working both a job and research IRL, and traveling, I've had zero changes to come meet ya'll... and 31 pages later I feel kinda bad. Do I need to read all the pages or will you let me in on the fun and craziness if I don't? :pompous: I'm eager to help out and maybe get a few questions answered!
lol I've been here since the beginning of this thread and I honestly don't even think I've read all the pages

I've been lurking SDN for over a year and I was so excited to join this thread, knowing I was applying this cycle, but between actually working on my app, actually working both a job and research IRL, and traveling, I've had zero chances* to come meet ya'll... and 31 pages later I feel kinda bad. Do I need to read all the pages or will you let me in on the fun and craziness if I don't? :pompous: I'm eager to help out and maybe get a few questions answered!

Welcome! Don't worry about missing anything, we love to have everyone that wants to be here. Best of luck on your application!

Welcome!! Love your avatar. :)

Late to join the thread but just submitted my applications last Friday! Super excited, best of luck to everyone :)

Just finishing up the last of my supplemental essays and was wondering if some of you on here could look at them and give some advice? It would be much appreciated!

In your opinion, what is the greatest challenge facing the future of veterinary medicine? What will you do to address this challenge?

In my opinion, the greatest challenge facing the future of veterinary medicine is the growing need for veterinarians in areas such as pathology, biomedical research, and large animal medicine. As more discoveries are being made about the links between human and animal health, more research is being done with animals. This leads to a growing demand for veterinarians in those areas. More than half of all graduating veterinarians go into companion animal practice. This becomes a challenge in the future as jobs become more competitive and salaries fall due to the surplus of qualified individuals. Some colleges are expanding their class size that is adding to the growth of veterinarians looking for jobs. To address this challenge, I want to come into veterinary school with an open mind about what I want to do. My experience in pathology and research has made me a well-rounded individual that is interested in being a part of a speciality field that may be in shortage.

What do you feel is the role of a veterinarian in biomedical research and/or animal agriculture with regards to animal welfare?

Veterinarians have chosen their profession because of their concern for the health of animals. One role in biomedical research is caring for laboratory animals. Many advances in veterinary medicine are because of animal research. The parvovirus vaccine has saved the lives of many and heart pacemakers for both humans and animals were developed because of research in dogs. By federal law, veterinarians are in charge for directing animal care programs in places that perform animal research. Laboratory animal veterinarians are also concerned for the welfare of the animal when it comes to pain management and quality of life.

In regards to animal agriculture, veterinarians have a major impact in making sure that our food supply is plentiful and safe. Many animals that are used for meat, dairy, and eggs suffer on factory farms where they are treated as units of production. A veterinarian's commitment to heal can advance animal agriculture in partnership with livestock producers, animal scientists, food processors, and government regulatory agencies. By communicating efficiently with livestock producers about proper management techniques, the welfare of animals can continue to improve in animal agriculture.

Therefore, veterinarians have a major role in making sure the welfare of animals is priority in areas such as biomedical research and animal agriculture. The future of medicine and our food supply are dependent on the quality of life that animals have.

Not sure if it's okay to ask this, but I'm having a really difficult time coming up with a topic for my diversity essay that doesn't sound forced. I've narrowed it down to two interests that I could discuss at length/with passion, but I'm honestly not sure if either counts as "diverse." I was wondering if I could have your guys' opinions on what would be a better topic?

1 - Food. I know that sounds boring and common, but food is really my biggest hobby and (aside from animals, of course) is one of the defining aspects of my life and who I am. Cooking, baking, eating, even styling food. I love all the different types of food in the world, and could write about my exploration of different cultures through their dishes. I've been to a ton of food festivals and love seeing all the variety there - of plates, of flavors, of people and cultures and everything.

2 - Theater. I was heavily involved in theater growing up, went to several district/state competitions (and came home with awards), and being a part of the theater world definitely helped shape who I am. However, I stopped doing theater after high school. It's just too time consuming and I couldn't balance it anymore. But I could discuss all the different skills I learned that can apply to everyday life, all the people I met, having to learn and experience different ways of life in order to play a role better, etc.

I don't know, both sound kind of weak to me but I honestly can't come up with anything else to write about.

Not sure if it's okay to ask this, but I'm having a really difficult time coming up with a topic for my diversity essay that doesn't sound forced. I've narrowed it down to two interests that I could discuss at length/with passion, but I'm honestly not sure if either counts as "diverse." I was wondering if I could have your guys' opinions on what would be a better topic?

1 - Food. I know that sounds boring and common, but food is really my biggest hobby and (aside from animals, of course) is one of the defining aspects of my life and who I am. Cooking, baking, eating, even styling food. I love all the different types of food in the world, and could write about my exploration of different cultures through their dishes. I've been to a ton of food festivals and love seeing all the variety there - of plates, of flavors, of people and cultures and everything.

2 - Theater. I was heavily involved in theater growing up, went to several district/state competitions (and came home with awards), and being a part of the theater world definitely helped shape who I am. However, I stopped doing theater after high school. It's just too time consuming and I couldn't balance it anymore. But I could discuss all the different skills I learned that can apply to everyday life, all the people I met, having to learn and experience different ways of life in order to play a role better, etc.

I don't know, both sound kind of weak to me but I honestly can't come up with anything else to write about.

I talked about how my mother and I started a B&B in the last five years and how I have been running it with her. I tied the experience into my vet work as well, for example, dealing with clients that didn't speak english and how struggling to communicate with them and understand their concerns could be similar to that of an animal. Of course worded a lot more eloquently haha.

If this is for Florida, why don't you write about food for the hobbies essay? Both sound equally compelling to me, being diverse is different for everyone ;)

Dumb personal statement, gotta somehow find a way to improve on "good" while still making it somewhat different from last year.

Guys I'm freaking out. My VMCAS app is done and ready to send and I'm freaking out and can't hit submit :dead:

I talked about how my mother and I started a B&B in the last five years and how I have been running it with her. I tied the experience into my vet work as well, for example, dealing with clients that didn't speak english and how struggling to communicate with them and understand their concerns could be similar to that of an animal. Of course worded a lot more eloquently haha.

Wow that sounds interesting. (That sounded sarcastic but I swear it was genuine - what an adventure!) Sounds like a really smart way to tie it back to your work. I should probably figure out a way to do that.

If this is for Florida, why don't you write about food for the hobbies essay? Both sound equally compelling to me, being diverse is different for everyone ;)

Oh, that's actually a really good point. I haven't done the hobby essay either, so I could split them up. Thanks! This seems like it's going to be way more difficult to write than my personal statement, and that was hard enough, haha.

You have to do a hobbies essay now too?? It was just the diversity statement when I applied two years ago. But I think writing about your involvement with theater would work, I wrote my diversity statement about being involved in dance even though I also stopped after high school. But I didn't even get an interview with Florida, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. ;)

Where did my time go, you guys?!

I'm actually still on track to submit earlier than I did last year but I think I'll be submitting a week later than I originally planned on doing this year. I'm going to see my vet reference tomorrow because she wanted to see me again before she writes it. Have to check in with my third reference to make sure she's still on track. They're both supposed to submit by the 20th.

Personal statement... is in okay shape. It could be better. I'm not sure if it's too similar to last year or if I improved/changed enough.

And I have to run over the rest of the application just to make sure there aren't errors and that everything is to my liking. I'm going out of town this weekend though so that's why I'm thinking it might not be realistic to submit until next week.

How are the rest of you who haven't submitted yet coming along?

Pretty well. I'm wanting to submit by Thursday. Just waiting for some GRE scores to send as well as my latest transcript with an updated grade. I have 3/6 letters written and one is supposed to be written by this week so good shape there. Ps is finished and I've had a lot of people read it so I'm satisfied. Just rereading experience descriptions so minimize any errors. Then I have about 3 supplementals I still have to do. Hopefully I'll be done with those early next week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Haha. I just realized that today is the day I originally wanted to submit. :laugh: Now I'm hoping for September 1st . . .