Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
VERIFIED!!!!!! :banana:

(Submitted 8/15)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm almost done with my application! So excited. I am essentially just making final adjustments. I was wondering iff anyone knew how to designate evaluations for schools. For example, I am applying to Missourri which allows all six, but Illinois only allows three. I don't see a way to chose which ones I send. I need to send my veterinarians and a professor. Do I have to call the school? Or is it a choice I make while checking out?
Illinois has a minimum requirement of 3 letters, but will read up to 6 is what I got from them when asked

Reactions: 1 user
Let us know when you get verified!

If last year was any indication, the length of the verification stage increases as we get closer to the deadline because more people are submitting their applications and getting in line to be verified. So I'm sure all of us here would like to know what the current length is. ;)
I was verified late last afternoon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure you do, or at least something telling you to check your application. Some notification or other.

Hey all I sent in my application last Friday and was verified early yesterday morning, they will send you an email notification letting you know!

What are you all doing for supervisor info for extracurriculars? Most of my college ECs didn't have a faculty/staff member in charge (or even involved), and listing another student isn't a good option because some of these ECs were 10 years ago. Anyone know if it's a red flag to leave them all blank?

What are you all doing for supervisor info for extracurriculars? Most of my college ECs didn't have a faculty/staff member in charge (or even involved), and listing another student isn't a good option because some of these ECs were 10 years ago. Anyone know if it's a red flag to leave them all blank?
I had a couple of extracurriculars from high school that were like that. I personally left it blank in those cases. As long as it's just a few experiences that you leave blank, I don't really think it is much of a red flag. It'd be different, I'd imagine, if you were leaving supervisor information off of significant vet/animal experiences, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it if it's just a few extracurriculars.

I had a couple of extracurriculars from high school that were like that. I personally left it blank in those cases. As long as it's just a few experiences that you leave blank, I don't really think it is much of a red flag. It'd be different, I'd imagine, if you were leaving supervisor information off of significant vet/animal experiences, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it if it's just a few extracurriculars.

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping! It is quite a few activities, but all my veterinary/animal/employment experiences have supervisors so hopefully it won't matter.

Well, two of my letters are in. The third is having technical issues but I guess this is why we set an early deadline.
I still plan to polish up my experiences but I wasn't going to submit until all my letters were in anyways since I only have three. Getting close at any rate.

Just out of curiosity, what are you all planning on doing after the application is submitted? I submitted five days ago and now everything feels so anti-climatic. :eek: We have quite a few months of waiting ahead of us. I started back up with undergrad this week and I am likely just bored while waiting for classes to pick up their pace, but I feel the need to do something. I've been considering trying to find another clinic to volunteer/shadow at in my college town though with a million pre-veters around it might be a little more difficult of a process than my hometown. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you add new experiences to your application after its been submitted? I just submitted and I can't edit any achievements or experiences, but it looks like I can add new ones. Just want to make sure I don't ignore it for months when I could be adding more experience.

TWELVE HOURS LATER . . . I'm finally done with my PS. I think I actually wrote fifteen different ones, threw them all out, and then wrote a completely new draft in about an hour and a half. I'm 7 characters under the limit and I'm done!

I'm going to sleep now.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm close to done with my PS finally. Just finding people to read it.

I feel weird saying my career goal is to join the army as an army veterinarian but it's something I've put a lot of thought into, not a hasty decision or something I'm "just saying" so I included it. But it's not a hasty statement in any way. Obviously there are any number of reasons it might not happen and I would be disappointed, but if I'm dreaming big enough for vet school why be shy about saying I want to serve my country?

Just out of curiosity, what are you all planning on doing after the application is submitted? I submitted five days ago and now everything feels so anti-climatic. :eek: We have quite a few months of waiting ahead of us. I started back up with undergrad this week and I am likely just bored while waiting for classes to pick up their pace, but I feel the need to do something. I've been considering trying to find another clinic to volunteer/shadow at in my college town though with a million pre-veters around it might be a little more difficult of a process than my hometown. :rolleyes:

Move on with life. Forget the application. Keep building experience. Do well in classes.

Just pretend you are still working towards applying - if you don't get in, the deadline will already feel right around the corner, so you will have used the time wisely. If you do get in, you've enjoyed life and built up more experience in the meantime.

Reactions: 5 users
Move on with life. Forget the application. Keep building experience. Do well in classes.

Just pretend you are still working towards applying - if you don't get in, the deadline will already feel right around the corner, so you will have used the time wisely. If you do get in, you've enjoyed life and built up more experience in the meantime.
Thank you! I will do just that. The summer was so fast paced, I am just readjusting back to school life (going from a household of nine back to one is a bit of a change...and quite a bit more boring). :laugh:

Think I'm going to submit my application tomorrow! Only have one transcript left to get in (which was sent Wednesday) and my last letter of rec which will be turned in Monday.

I am hoping I'll be submitted by 9/1. My bday is 9/10 and I am planning on going on a mini backpacking trip and the last thing I want to worry about are these applications. But man, this personal statement is just driving me bonkers. I keep getting writer's block >.<

Reactions: 3 users
Yeahhh...I haven't even truly gotten started on making the revisions/rewriting my ps. I said I'd actually get everything submitted earlier this year, but between that and still waiting on the last 2 LORs it's not looking like it, haha. After this summer I have lots of potential new material to add to it, though!

Hi everyone! I am completely stuck on the diversity statement for the supplemental applications. I was thinking of maybe writing about how I graduated from high school at 16 and then left for college but I didn't know if that was relevant or not. Any help would be appreciated!

Submitted my application! It was honestly kinda scary to hit the submit button. Now on to my last supplemental and then the waiting game. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I am completely stuck on the diversity statement for the supplemental applications. I was thinking of maybe writing about how I graduated from high school at 16 and then left for college but I didn't know if that was relevant or not. Any help would be appreciated!

That is definitely diverse! It can be anything that makes you different, we are all special little snowflakes after all ;).

Submitted my application! It was honestly kinda scary to hit the submit button. Now on to my last supplemental and then the waiting game. :nailbiting:

same! submitted yesterday and now just need to do the last supplemental (vmrcvm) and i'll be done. Giving myself a few days until I start on the supplemental since i've been going nonstop all summer and could use the time. its weird finally having it all out of my hands for now.

Reactions: 1 users
same! submitted yesterday and now just need to do the last supplemental (vmrcvm) and i'll be done. Giving myself a few days until I start on the supplemental since i've been going nonstop all summer and could use the time. its weird finally having it all out of my hands for now.

Vmrcvm isn't my last one too. I'm also waiting a few days before I start on it. Giving my brain a rest! Lol

I'm almost there (ready to submit that is). I'm going over all my experiences and rereading my essays a final time. Going to check in with my last reference later today and see if she got her technical issue resolved yet. I think as long as my last LOR gets handled I'll be ready to submit this week for sure... which is at least a few days earlier than last year. ;)

Are y'all entering experiences in reverse chronological order with the recent first? or what? (late to the party, I rewrote the experiences a couple times)

I submitted my application and my supplemental yesterday. Can't decide if I should do a happy dance, or throw up! Very scary to have it be out of my hands, but I'm so happy its done!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, because that's what the instructions state to do.

Which is moderately irritating, because the application sorted it all by type of experience instead of date when I downloaded the copy. If they do one sort function, then adding a sort by end date shouldn't be a problem.

Which is moderately irritating, because the application sorted it all by type of experience instead of date when I downloaded the copy. If they do one sort function, then adding a sort by end date shouldn't be a problem.
There is no way to control how it is listed, just enter it and the appropriate dates. VMCAS will automatically sort it by type of experience no matter what you try.

Kind of sort of panicking about submitting!!!! What are some things you guys went back and triple checked?? Also how long after did you see it verified with your GPA's calculated?

Kind of sort of panicking about submitting!!!! What are some things you guys went back and triple checked?? Also how long after did you see it verified with your GPA's calculated?

Haven't submitted yet this year but last year I triple checked everything and then asked my mom to read over the whole application to check for errors as well the day I submitted.

The amount of time it takes to verify will likely increase as we get closer to the deadlines. You can follow along on here and some people are posting when they submitted and when they get verified so you can get a feel for what the current wait time is. I think they say to allow up to four weeks for verification if that hasn't changed..

I submitted my application on 8-12-16 and I was verified by 8-17-16. As finnickthedog mentioned the closer to the deadline you submit the longer it will take because the system gets backed up with the influx of applications. Better to send it in sooner rather than later. Double check all the grades and classes you entered because errors in that section will be sent back to you and delay verification of your application. Other than that double check spelling/grammar/dates ect.

My application was just verified! I submitted last Tuesday night (8/16), so it took almost a week.

I sent it exactly a week ago from today. Hoping to be verified by the end of the week!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Grrrrrrrrrrr my transcript still hasn't gotten to VMCAS! I've order one for myself a couple of days later and have already received it. I'm worried my school didn't attach the transcript form or something :punch:

Grrrrrrrrrrr my transcript still hasn't gotten to VMCAS! I've order one for myself a couple of days later and have already received it. I'm worried my school didn't attach the transcript form or something :punch:

how long ago did you send it? for the course I took over the summer, okstate sent out a transcript to VMCAS on the 11th and VMCAS didn't process it until the 19th, even though I'm sure it didn't take that long to get there. I think it just takes them a while to get to all of the mail coming in.

how long ago did you send it? for the course I took over the summer, okstate sent out a transcript to VMCAS on the 11th and VMCAS didn't process it until the 19th, even though I'm sure it didn't take that long to get there. I think it just takes them a while to get to all of the mail coming in.

I sent it on the 15th but I'm pretty sure it didn't go in the mail until the 17th. I know I'm worrying over nothing but I'm worried if they find something wrong with my transcripts it'll be too late. I know it's silly but I can't help it :p.

How long did it take for schools to receive your GRE scores? I sent mine on 8/4 and half my schools got them on 8/5, and nothing since. It's been almost 3 weeks and I called ETS today and they confirmed that he scores were definitely sent.

I'm taking the GRE on Saturday but am really nervous the schools won't receive the scores by sept 15, so I went ahead and sent my old scores so they'd have SOMETHING just in case my new (hopefully better) scores don't make it in time.

Kind of a bummer

I would contact individual schools about GRE scores. On my VMCAS, it says only 4 schools have received it. 3 others did but they don't show for some reason.

How long did it take for schools to receive your GRE scores? I sent mine on 8/4 and half my schools got them on 8/5, and nothing since. It's been almost 3 weeks and I called ETS today and they confirmed that he scores were definitely sent.

how are you figuring out if the schools have received your GRE scores? if its through VMCAS, those only show up if the school uses a VMCAS gre code. otherwise it will go directly to the school itself and not through VMCAS.

You definately have to check with the schools, most of my scores were sent over a month ago and VMCAS says only three received... but all the schools say they have mine. :shrug:

You definately have to check with the schools, most of my scores were sent over a month ago and VMCAS says only three received... but all the schools say they have mine. :shrug:

How do you know in VMCAS that they were received? I don't see anything under status or the standardized test section. Is this only for schools that have a VMCAS number to send to?

How do you know in VMCAS that they were received? I don't see anything under status or the standardized test section. Is this only for schools that have a VMCAS number to send to?

I believe it is just for schools who signed up for a VMCAS GRE code (so the ones listed here: https://vmcas.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/9000067910-standardized-tests)

It shows up on the status page under standardized tests. If you are applying to a school(s) that is not listed then contact them directly if you want to ensure your scores were received. I actually never bothered checking last year though, when the recipients showed up on the ETS website I figured that was good enough confirmation for me... although in hindsight maybe I should have checked.