Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent it on the 15th but I'm pretty sure it didn't go in the mail until the 17th. I know I'm worrying over nothing but I'm worried if they find something wrong with my transcripts it'll be too late. I know it's silly but I can't help it :p.
Yeah I wouldn't worry about it just yet, even once it got there it takes them some time to process and then have it show up on your account. I'd give it at least 10 business days from the time it was sent before you get concerned.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, I'm reviewing my application and going through the instructions as I do so and now I have a question. In regards to "previous applications" the instructions say the following:

"Previous Applications
  • If you have previously applied to one or more Colleges of Veterinary Medicine, list all years for which you submitted applications.
  • For each application submitted, please select the entering year of the fall semester.
  • Report only applications submitted before the current VMCAS application cycle in this section. Please do not report the entering year for the current application cycle (2016) or the entering year for any future application cycles."
So the entering year of the fall semester for the last application cycle (c/0 2020) would be 2016... so that's the year I put.

However the next line says "Please do not blah blah blah for the the current application cycle (2016)". The inclusion of 2016 in parentheses has me questioning whether I did this right but putting 2016 as my previous application year. If 2016 was the most recent option on there I would feel more confident but for reasons I don't understand they also have 2017 and 2018 as options so clearly I can't just go by what's most recent.

So... did I do this right? Is 2016 the correct year to select for last cycle?

Alright, I'm reviewing my application and going through the instructions as I do so and now I have a question. In regards to "previous applications" the instructions say the following:

"Previous Applications
  • If you have previously applied to one or more Colleges of Veterinary Medicine, list all years for which you submitted applications.
  • For each application submitted, please select the entering year of the fall semester.
  • Report only applications submitted before the current VMCAS application cycle in this section. Please do not report the entering year for the current application cycle (2016) or the entering year for any future application cycles."
So the entering year of the fall semester for the last application cycle (c/0 2020) would be 2016... so that's the year I put.

However the next line says "Please do not blah blah blah for the the current application cycle (2016)". The inclusion of 2016 in parentheses has me questioning whether I did this right but putting 2016 as my previous application year. If 2016 was the most recent option on there I would feel more confident but for reasons I don't understand they also have 2017 and 2018 as options so clearly I can't just go by what's most recent.

To me it sounds like they mean the entering year like the year of submission. So for the class of 2020, you "entered"/submitted your application in 2015, so that is what I would put instead. You could also call them to confirm.

Members don't see this ad :)

"Previous Applications

2016 is correct. That parentheses was just noting that the current application cycle is in 2016.

Reactions: 1 user
Do schools require you to have all of your transcripts processed before Sept. 15th? Or is it ok if it is just received by Sept. 15th?

Do schools require you to have all of your transcripts processed before Sept. 15th? Or is it ok if it is just received by Sept. 15th?
Should be good as long as transcripts and the rest of your application are received by the 15th, verification can certainly happen well after that (if you submit close to the deadline it can sometimes take a couple weeks).

:)
I sent it on the 15th but I'm pretty sure it didn't go in the mail until the 17th. I know I'm worrying over nothing but I'm worried if they find something wrong with my transcripts it'll be too late. I know it's silly but I can't help it :p.

My transcript was sent on the 17th and hasn't shown up on my app either. Dont stress too much about it! If it doesn't show up by Friday I may call them just to check but I'm not worried. :)

Should be good as long as transcripts and the rest of your application are received by the 15th, verification can certainly happen well after that (if you submit close to the deadline it can sometimes take a couple weeks).

Ok, thank you.

Everybody's busy submitting and getting verified, and I'm here like "sweet, I got another week to deal with this personal statement".

Reactions: 3 users
Everybody's busy submitting and getting verified, and I'm here like "sweet, I got another week to deal with this personal statement".
I envy your easy-going attitude. At the rate I'm going I'll give myself a heart attack before I get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I envy your easy-going attitude. At the rate I'm going I'll give myself a heart attack before I get accepted.

Third (and hopefully final) time applying. So I'm used to this whole song and dance. Just gotta remember to breathe and cut yourself some slack, you know you'll be done before the deadline. A little stress keeps you on it, a lot of stress just breaks you down.

I submitted mine like right before the deadline

Ya but that was back when the deadline was the start of October ya goof

I had the idea and an outline for a long time, but def wrote my personal statement and supp essays mostly the week before vmcas was due. Submitted within the last couple hours for sure.

Same as WZ though, don't be me, procrastination is bad. :p

Reactions: 1 users
I would just like to point out, that today August 24th, VMCAS updated my standardized tests section under GRE, saying that they received my Tufts GRE on 7/27/2016... they had three others for 7/27/2016, but not Tufts.

I kept waiting for my actual university to process my transcript for my summer physics course... But it's already August 24th and I got scared that it would arrive in time so I just went ahead and sent it in without the physics class...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I kept waiting for my actual university to process my transcript for my summer physics course... But it's already August 24th and I got scared that it would arrive in time so I just went ahead and sent it in without the physics class...

As long as it's postmarked by Sept 15 you will be fine, but I feel your pain, mine took their time putting the grade up too ;)

Submitted my application on the 19th and just got verified. (Only 5 days later!) Now the long wait for December and November (when the Madison supplement opens). Can't wait!

The application used to open in June so it was still the same amount of time ;)

As a fellow procrastinator you know that when it opens doesn't matter, it just feels good to see that nice late deadline.

Reactions: 1 users
submitted my app on 8/21 and it was just verified!

Also do people know if schools use the VMCAS calculated GPAs or do they calculate their own? My VMCAS calculated science GPAs are lower because of stupid classes I took over 10 years ago in my first undergrad like "physics of music" that VMCAS is lumping into my science GPAs. From reading many of the schools websites they look at the science GPA of just the pre-requisite courses, so would they calculate the GPA themselves?

Also do people know if schools use the VMCAS calculated GPAs or do they calculate their own? My VMCAS calculated science GPAs are lower because of stupid classes I took over 10 years ago in my first undergrad like "physics of music" that VMCAS is lumping into my science GPAs. From reading many of the schools websites they look at the science GPA of just the pre-requisite courses, so would they calculate the GPA themselves?

Depends on the school.

I had the idea and an outline for a long time, but def wrote my personal statement and supp essays mostly the week before vmcas was due. Submitted within the last couple hours for sure.

Same as WZ though, don't be me, procrastination is bad. :p
@SummerTheLynx Can tell you guys when the bulk of my PS writing and supplementals were done...heh

I dont know trilt... seems to have worked for you. :laugh:
Sometimes I've wondered how much more successful I would have been in life if I didn't put everything off until the last minute...but it's hard to change the habit when it works pretty well ;)

Reactions: 4 users
@SummerTheLynx Can tell you guys when the bulk of my PS writing and supplementals were done...heh
I edited her ps literally the night before deadline (due at 12 the next day) lol. Funny enough, got my PhD/DVM plan yesterday, and I will graduate with both in 2021 now. so I guess I should frequent this page more often

Verified!!!! I submitted on the 21st, so that was super fast. Now I just have to convince my last LOR writer to get her letter in, lol. Such a big relief!! Thanks @BottleTheBear you are so right about the stress.

I'm like 99.92% sure I'm finally done with my PS! :D Thanks to literally everyone, because I've basically sent my PS to everyone on the PS readers list since April.

Reactions: 2 users
Same, same, same, same , same, same, same, same, same, same, same, same, s

I submitted mine like right before the deadline
I submitted on the deadline day last year...but pretty early in the day, like 2pm, that has to count for something, right? :laugh:

Since this is the first week of class we have no labs, and I actually managed to be productive yesterday :eek: I went over my entire app and edited any written responses, my explanation statement, all of my experience descriptions for style consistency, then added experiences/achievements from high school since I never listed most of those (found my old HS resume from applying to colleges, so that helped a lot). Still nothing with the PS though, I've convinced myself I'll start messing with that tonight and tomorrow...

Not a single person read mine besides me, but if I had someone do it... totally the situation I would have been in.
Sometimes I've wondered how much more successful I would have been in life if I didn't put everything off until the last minute...but it's hard to change the habit when it works pretty well ;)
I write best under pressure! ;)

Last edited:
Verified!!!! I submitted on the 21st, so that was super fast. Now I just have to convince my last LOR writer to get her letter in, lol. Such a big relief!! Thanks @BottleTheBear you are so right about the stress.
SDN sent me notification that you mentioned me in a post. For a moment I thought I was SDN celebrity :(

Why is applying to vet school so expensive. :( Like I understand that veterinary school itself is expensive, but I'm going to be upset if I just spent $1000 to get rejected. :eek:

Why is applying to vet school so expensive. :( Like I understand that veterinary school itself is expensive, but I'm going to be upset if I just spent $1000 to get rejected. :eek:
Seriously. It'll be a real kick in the face to not get in after spending this kind of time and money.

That's terrible. Did you only apply to one or multiple?

I'm trying not to think negative thoughts, but I'm naturally self detrimental and that's probably what's going to happen to me.

Multiple. All 3 three years. The money part of it sucks but I figure that things probably work out the way they are supposed to in the long run lol

Multiple. All 3 three years. The money part of it sucks but I figure that things probably work out the way they are supposed to in the long run lol

Ooh, that's rough. My parents are champs this round. They offered to pay VMCAS fees and supplemental fees while I save up for a (hopeful) deposit

I am only applying to one school, so kinda stressful having all the eggs in one basket too. On the plus side I just got updated to being verified!