Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My GPA on the Iowa State website is different from any of the ones on VMCAS, so I think the schools calculate that maybe?

Iowa in particular is very specific. They only look at your science classes that they have listed for prerequisites.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, VMCAS calculates all that for you but the schools themselves have their own calculations so it will most likely vary by school. I know some may include different courses in the sci GPA (e.g. LSU factors in animal sci classes), or some may calculate a prerequisite GPA like coopah said. They also seem to have different rules regarding what courses are included in the "last 45" gpa (such as only classes that were taken while a full time student)

UF Averages your repeated courses so I had to remind myself that VMCAS included my D's and C-'s in its calculations where UF would average my A with my D. My app is in though completely, now I wait. I'm off next week to visit my friend at her air-force base for the air-force ball there and visit Charleston. It's my reward to myself for getting everything done. I get to see my rescue horses I adopted out as well finally.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I finally submitted VMCAS! I also turned in domicile paperwork today (the most stressful and complicated part of the entire application, hands down) so I'm feeling pretty accomplished.

Haha my non science (3.86) is much better than my science (3.47). Dang ochem.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Did you take ochem with Dr. Nelson? Funniest guy I ever met. I was certain my GPA was going to fall for some honors humanities/seminar course last semester. It was ridiculous and I spent far more time on it than any of my other science courses that semester combined (and I was taking ochem). Somehow I survived though I may have lost a bit of my sanity in the process. :laugh:

Did you take ochem with Dr. Nelson? Funniest guy I ever met. I was certain my GPA was going to fall for some honors humanities/seminar course last semester. It was ridiculous and I spent far more time on it than any of my other science courses that semester combined (and I was taking ochem). Somehow I survived though I may have lost a bit of my sanity in the process. :laugh:

Sanity is overrated. Especially in this profession.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't sanity define in terms of the people around you? You're fine, trust me.

I'm fairly sure that vet school is just an indoctrination into a "Shutter Island" type of facility where these crazy animal people are institutionalized and made to believe that they're actual animal doctors, lol like thats a thing. As for myself, I can't wait to get to the asylum / vet school.

Sanity is overrated. Especially in this profession.
I completely agree and have decided I'll happily relinquish my sanity for this profession (though I'll hold on to what I can for now).

Is it January yet? this is so painful :bang:

Members don't see this ad :)
The LOR from my internship came in, so that leaves only the professor/advisor's LOR and the ever-lovely PS to gather before can finally submit! (I know you can submit as long as the 3 LOR writers are registered, but you can't request more LORs after submitting can you?)

For the backup LOR, I'm thinking that possibly I could be able to swing asking for one from my current academic advisor. If he is willing and able to, it will likely be a pretty generic one since I've only met with him for advising-related things throughout the past few years and don't know him on the level of the previous prof/advisor, but at least it would still fit the bill for an academic LOR, unlike the other backup I had in mind which would also probably be plain-ish anyway.

Woah not so fast, those holiday cookies aren't going to eat themselves
Everyone's excited for fall, pumpkin spice and Halloween and I'm honestly so excited for Christmas/winter already

VMCAS Verified & Supplementals done! Now the waiting game and relaxation. :p I think I may read some more of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Not a fan of the format but it still hits me in the feels.

The LOR from my internship came in, so that leaves only the professor/advisor's LOR and the ever-lovely PS to gather before can finally submit! (I know you can submit as long as the 3 LOR writers are registered, but you can't request more LORs after submitting can you?)

For the backup LOR, I'm thinking that possibly I could be able to swing asking for one from my current academic advisor. If he is willing and able to, it will likely be a pretty generic one since I've only met with him for advising-related things throughout the past few years and don't know him on the level of the previous prof/advisor, but at least it would still fit the bill for an academic LOR, unlike the other backup I had in mind which would also probably be plain-ish anyway.

Everyone's excited for fall, pumpkin spice and Halloween and I'm honestly so excited for Christmas/winter already

Pretty sure you can still request evaluators you just can't edit any data/essays. Either way, go get em!

Can't say I'm looking forward to 30-40 degree mornings, but blankets and hot cocoa/tea/mulled wine and the general comfiness of winter is amazing.

Urgent!! I am submitting my VMCAS application tonight and need help with something! In the transcript review section, it states:

-------
Transcript Review

Select Your Repeat Courses Below
Identify courses repeated from each college you attended. Mark all attempts to take a course as Repeated including the final attempt. VMCAS will include the credits from all attempts in your overall VMCAS GPA.

Note: courses should be marked repeated only if repeated at the same institution. If you took a course at one institution and later repeated it at another institution, it should not be marked repeated. Withdrawn courses and courses taken multiple times for new credit (such as physical education courses) are also not considered repeated.

---------

I have repeated one course so far and am currently repeating another course. I took the courses at different schools and repeated them at different schools. Does this mean I do not have to write this at all? Does this mean that when they ask if I repeated a course I say "no" instead? It confuses me because I have repeated courses, but at totally different schools. So it confuses me because it says: "Note: courses should be marked repeated only if repeated at the same institution. If you took a course at one institution and later repeated it at another institution, it should not be marked repeated. Withdrawn courses and courses taken multiple times for new credit (such as physical education courses) are also not considered repeated."

If anyone can please help me that would be great!

Thank you, everyone!!

I have repeated one course so far and am currently repeating another course. I took the courses at different schools and repeated them at different schools. Does this mean I do not have to write this at all? Does this mean that when they ask if I repeated a course I say "no" instead? It confuses me because I have repeated courses, but at totally different schools. So it confuses me because it says: "Note: courses should be marked repeated only if repeated at the same institution. If you took a course at one institution and later repeated it at another institution, it should not be marked repeated. Withdrawn courses and courses taken multiple times for new credit (such as physical education courses) are also not considered repeated."

If anyone can please help me that would be great!

Thank you, everyone!!

You would still indicate "Yes" that you have repeated a course but do not actually mark the courses that were repeated at different universities.

oh now this made me come up with a question too haha. If I took an elective course twice that was pass/no pass only, but it's the same course code and title does that count as repeated?

You would still indicate "Yes" that you have repeated a course but do not actually mark the courses that were repeated at different universities.

Thank you very much for your response. It will not allow me not to select a school....

This answers my question (directly from the VMCAS website):

Repeated Classes
Courses retaken at the same school for a higher grade are considered “Repeated.” Withdrawn courses, courses taken at different schools, or courses taken repeatedly but not retaken for a better grade (i.e. school band, gym courses, etc.) are NOT considered repeated. If you have repeated a course, select “yes” and then check off each attempt at the class to mark it as “Repeated.”

NOTE: VMCAS is required to factor ALL attempts at courses into the GPA calculation, regardless of a school or state’s academic forgiveness policies. Marking a course as “repeated” will NOT exclude it from your GPA calculation.

Yay!!

So I repeated a course at 2 different universities and you do not mark them as repeated, just like VMCAS says. I'm all verified so everything seems fine.

I know you can submit as long as the 3 LOR writers are registered, but you can't request more LORs after submitting can you?)

You actually can add letters after you submit (I discovered this when I submitted and then suddenly had the opportunity to add a fourth letter). No issue with it as long as it meets the 15th deadline.

You actually can add letters after you submit (I discovered this when I submitted and then suddenly had the opportunity to add a fourth letter). No issue with it as long as it meets the 15th deadline.

I can confirm you can add requests after you submit. I had to do that to delete and re-add one of them in order to get it to work.

eeek I'm nearly ready to hit submit, I can't wait to be done! Do you think I should inject a little humor into my experience section and say how I love to go online on horse and dog forums? I go to the health section to learn and sometimes give advice. I also love just researching online. I once spent 8 hours with only stopping to eat a piece of toast on reading about threadneck worms in horses. So, inject humor or no? :p

I go to the health section to learn and sometimes give advice. I also love just researching online.

Depending on what you mean when you say you give advice in these pet health forums, I'd tread carefully...

eeek I'm nearly ready to hit submit, I can't wait to be done! Do you think I should inject a little humor into my experience section and say how I love to go online on horse and dog forums? I go to the health section to learn and sometimes give advice. I also love just researching online. I once spent 8 hours with only stopping to eat a piece of toast on reading about threadneck worms in horses. So, inject humor or no? :p

What Dream said, you're probably better off just playing it straight.

Depending on what you mean when you say you give advice in these pet health forums, I'd tread carefully...

ok thanks thats what I figured. I never gave veterinary advice except say "call the vet out":p. Or I would say something like oh it sounds like such and such my horse displayed similar symptoms when he also had such and such, you should get the vet out.

Just submitted my last supplemental. And the waiting begins!

I've heard some schools offer anatomy prep classes over the summer, but I don't know which ones. Is this an opportunity at many schools? Is it offered to only those the school deems needs help? Any info would be great, thanks guys!

Aaaaand...

lo, as it was promised to the procrastinators by those who have gone before us,

...VMCAS is down.

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 8.27.56 PM.png

I've heard some schools offer anatomy prep classes over the summer, but I don't know which ones. Is this an opportunity at many schools? Is it offered to only those the school deems needs help? Any info would be great, thanks guys!
UTK offered it for the first time this summer. The people who did it seem to be glad they did, and there's one or two of them in each of our lab groups, so they can help out the rest of us who didn't do the class. I think this year is kind of the test to see if it actually ends up in helping people do better. I feel like it has been beneficial not just for the people who took it but also for those of us who didn't since we can ask them questions and they can share study skills and such.
It was offered to about half the class (40 people), first come first served, and was about $800 - that price tag, and also wanting to enjoy my whole summer, is why I didn't do it. It's a 10 day course near the end of the summer and I think is almost entirely lab-based, they mentioned only having a couple lectures.

How long does it take to get your transcripts verified? I submitted on 8/31, and the deadline is Thursday...do they at least get it done by the deadline? x_x

How long does it take to get your transcripts verified? I submitted on 8/31, and the deadline is Thursday...do they at least get it done by the deadline? x_x

The deadline is for submission. As long as you are submitted and there are no major errors that would prevent you from being verified, you are fine. Verification will continue past the deadline. No way to know for sure how long it will take.

I just did an update with a new experience and VMCAS seems to be back up.

I took it with Dr Rahaim actually. I had to take the full 9 hour course instead of the survey for my major. I DEFINITELY lost a bit of my sanity in that course!

I was getting worried about mine and I emailed them and they assured me everything was fine, I was just in the middle of being verified and this "can take some time."

Oh. Hm. I submitted on 8/31 and haven't been verified. I wonder if something's up with my transcripts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
Might be worth giving them a call or sending an email. I also submitted 8/31 and was verified 9/2.