Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
verified this morning! submitted around 1opm EST on 9/13

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a question on adding new experiences. Kind of messed up the first time when I added a research experience that I only have 12 hours in so far. I just started a TA position and a part time paid position as a kennel assistant and veterinary assistant. When should I add those experiences or should I wait until I've accumulated a decent number?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

DEFINITELY include those in your experiences! You can check the "in progress" box, and just write the expected amount of hours per week. As long as you can write a description of your duties, I would include them! :)

Anyone else in this boat?
Not in the same situation, but I have a lot of the same worries.
I feel a lot of the same things right now. I've been looking at graduate programs as well but so far nothing is exciting me.
From someone who's in their soon-to-be late 20s (wait, already?) and who has applied twice before, I feel where you're coming from with this.

Can completely relate to these feelings. It's so hard not to compare yourself/your progress to others around you. I graduated undergrad a semester early, but spent 2 years past that mucking around taking prereqs/retakes before even being able to apply for the first time (last year). I'm now 24, on my second attempt, with no long-term job, and see people who were 1-2 years below me in undergrad already in established careers or getting into vet school on their first try. Even though I know it's silly considering all the non-trad vet students out there, I can't help but feel like I'm "behind" in life, or stagnating. I also do worry about how I'll perform once I actually get in.

I always intended (maybe even expected) to apply 3 times, so I'm not too worried about this year's results, but if I still don't get in after the 3rd round I don't know how I'll feel. I guess the silver lining is that I definitely have a backup in progress--if nothing this year, then by the time decisions start rolling out for next year's cycle, I'll be finishing up my degree program and be able to sit for the NVTE to become an LVT. I didn't intend to be an LVT as a lifetime career, but it'd definitely widen my horizons/experience/connections in the vet field for any future application attempts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Naps are magic.

Those WSU supplemental questions were stressing me out, and I couldn't write anything. The words of the prompt kept playing leapfrog in my brain, to the point where I was sorely tempted to just resubmit previous essays because my eyes couldn't take it anymore. So what did I do? I went and passed out on the floor for an hour. Two hours later, I finally got these suckers pinned down. Shame it's so late, otherwise I'd go take a celebratory nap...

Reactions: 3 users
So I'm a touch late for this reply, but am super excited about my plans while I wait to hear back so I wanted to share. I just (3 weeks ago) moved to Austin, Texas, which is my favorite city in the world. I work as an overnight ER vet tech 3 nights a week, and I LOVE my job. But that gives me the other 4 days off for the week, which I'm spending exploring, hiking, watching sooo much Netflix, rug-making, knitting, drawing, running, and a small amount of travelling. I can't afford much travel since my student loan repayments are starting soon, but I'm saving up for Iceland this spring! Also I'm getting a dog! I've never had much time for hobbies or a dog, so being able to have both is the best thing ever for me.

Also, in regards to questioning the vet path: I received some advice a few years ago that really stuck with me. "You have to do what you love, but you don't have to love what you do." In other words, do what you love as a hobby, but don't worry about making it a career because careers are stressful. I experienced this recently as I am completely in love with wildlife rehab, but the stress of making minimum wage, working 60-80+ hrs/wk, and the compassion fatigue were ruining it for me. So I'm following my second love, which is vet medicine. And yes, I realize that with the expense and the time commitment, vet school should never be a "backup plan" but I could be very happy working as a vet despite all the challenges. But working as a vet tech allows me to volunteer one day a week at a wildlife rehab center, and I'm so so happy. So if vet medicine isn't for you, try to find something that you could be happy with, and do what you love on the side. Just a thought. :) And I hope you're not stressing too much! It's a hard position to be in.

Naps are magic.

Those WSU supplemental questions were stressing me out, and I couldn't write anything. The words of the prompt kept playing leapfrog in my brain, to the point where I was sorely tempted to just resubmit previous essays because my eyes couldn't take it anymore. So what did I do? I went and passed out on the floor for an hour. Two hours later, I finally got these suckers pinned down. Shame it's so late, otherwise I'd go take a celebratory nap...

I'm in the same boat, but haven't gotten them done yet...

So I'm a touch late for this reply, but am super excited about my plans while I wait to hear back so I wanted to share. I just (3 weeks ago) moved to Austin, Texas, which is my favorite city in the world. I work as an overnight ER vet tech 3 nights a week, and I LOVE my job. But that gives me the other 4 days off for the week, which I'm spending exploring, hiking, watching sooo much Netflix, rug-making, knitting, drawing, running, and a small amount of travelling. I can't afford much travel since my student loan repayments are starting soon, but I'm saving up for Iceland this spring! Also I'm getting a dog! I've never had much time for hobbies or a dog, so being able to have both is the best thing ever for me.

Also, in regards to questioning the vet path: I received some advice a few years ago that really stuck with me. "You have to do what you love, but you don't have to love what you do." In other words, do what you love as a hobby, but don't worry about making it a career because careers are stressful. I experienced this recently as I am completely in love with wildlife rehab, but the stress of making minimum wage, working 60-80+ hrs/wk, and the compassion fatigue were ruining it for me. So I'm following my second love, which is vet medicine. And yes, I realize that with the expense and the time commitment, vet school should never be a "backup plan" but I could be very happy working as a vet despite all the challenges. But working as a vet tech allows me to volunteer one day a week at a wildlife rehab center, and I'm so so happy. So if vet medicine isn't for you, try to find something that you could be happy with, and do what you love on the side. Just a thought. :) And I hope you're not stressing too much! It's a hard position to be in.

Sounds like you are in a really good place! I really cannot wait for the day that I feel like that, but I am also enjoying the journey of reaching that point as well, which is just as important. Happiness is everything :happy:

Reactions: 1 users
So I picked up this new journal at Chapters the other day, its called the "5 minute journal". Its designed for people working towards goals, and for making the most out of your day. In the morning you write down 3 things you are grateful for, 3 things that would make the day great, and a statement about yourself. Then at night before bed you write three things that happened that day that you loved, and one thing that would have made it even better. I have been using it for a week now and it really helps me stay positive when I start feeling overwhelmed or stressed. Because I would say the hardest thing for me being 24 going into this is seeing friends start settling down, getting married, landing great jobs, etc...so I really need to stay focused and positive! It helps keep things prioritized and you always go to bed on a positive note. Just thought I would share because we are all in the same boat.

Reactions: 6 users

Same! I don't see a clear difference between the questions:

Please describe qualities about yourself that make you a good fit for our program. (Such as: interest in specific programs, parent or friend who is affiliated with the program, connection to faculty or alumni, etc.)

Please explain opportunities or factors about our program that influenced your decision to apply. (Such as: participation in the WICHE program, access to the hospital, proximity to home, scholarships opportunities, class size, reputation, etc.)

I feel like I'm missing something. I don't have any personal connections to WSU and while I am interested in some specific programs, that seems like it would belong in the "opportunities or factors about our program" question, but it's under "qualities about yourself." I don't understand the difference between the questions- how can I discuss how I'm a good fit without talking about the program?

Anyone have insight?

Please describe qualities about yourself that make you a good fit for our program. (Such as: interest in specific programs, parent or friend who is affiliated with the program, connection to faculty or alumni, etc.)

Please explain opportunities or factors about our program that influenced your decision to apply. (Such as: participation in the WICHE program, access to the hospital, proximity to home, scholarships opportunities, class size, reputation, etc.)

I feel like I'm missing something. I don't have any personal connections to WSU and while I am interested in some specific programs, that seems like it would belong in the "opportunities or factors about our program" question, but it's under "qualities about yourself." I don't understand the difference between the questions- how can I discuss how I'm a good fit without talking about the program?

Anyone have insight?

The first question is why should we pick you over anyone else. The second one is why did you pick us, and how would you fit in.

After submitting on the evening of 9/15 I was verified an hour ago. Things seem to be going way faster than last year! I guess it may have helped that a lot of my stuff was already verified/carried over from last year, and there's none of that paid transcript entry mess...

Members don't see this ad :)
The first question is why should we pick you over anyone else. The second one is why did you pick us, and how would you fit in.

I think you're right, but their examples make no sense. I guess I'm overthinking it. Thanks!

Woo that sounds awesome!! I saw Iceland on Keeping up with the Kardashians (don't judge me, I was just passing through!!) and it looked stunning. I'm thinking of saving up for a cruise. I think it would be fun and it seems cheaper? Not sure though. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You can do it, just a matter of sitting down and cranking it out in one or two sessions.

Anyone have insight?

First question: what do you offer us
Second question: what do we offer you

Just submitted my A&M application which means I am officially done with all of my applications. Now on to the waiting game!

Submitted evening 9/14, verified this afternoon! Now to wait.

Woo that sounds awesome!! I saw Iceland on Keeping up with the Kardashians (don't judge me, I was just passing through!!) and it looked stunning. I'm thinking of saving up for a cruise. I think it would be fun and it seems cheaper? Not sure though. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's okay - I've been dying to go ever since I saw it in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I was looking into Alaskan cruises as well, but I found round trip flights from New York to Iceland in March for $250! The Alaskan cruise was about three times as much. Not sure how much a trans-Atlantic cruise would be, but that seemed pretty darn cheap and hard to beat for flight prices. I personally have never been on a cruise anywhere, so I can't offer much insight. I'm sure others here can though!

You can do it, just a matter of sitting down and cranking it out in one or two sessions.

First question: what do you offer us
Second question: what do we offer you

It turns out that it's much, much easier to write essays when you have the correct prompts! I must have been looking at earlier versions of the questions. Thanks!

Woo-hoo, I'm verified! Submitted late on 9/14. I have quite a few transcripts, so I'm impressed they did it so quickly!

TOTALLY DONE with applications. Supplementals, everything. Now to wait!

Best of luck everyone!! Thanks so much for all of the help & support thus far!!!

:soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
No equine or food animal rotations...?! How could anyone want to miss out on all that fun?!;)
Thats my jam :( Im going for food/equine. Now small animal would be 'fun' for me. I live for food/equine.

Hey it's great your thinking ahead. I'd recommend the VIN Loan Repayment Simulator as a starting point. That will help with the interest rates. As far a food, rent, utilities ect. it varies by location, so it depends on where you're applying. I'd be happy to help with anything if you need a second set of eyes, I'm a math person and do budgets for fun :p.
Feeny if you are doing food or equine the USDA really needs vets in areas. I mean my friends hometown area has none..at all with a clinic.

Thats my jam :( Im going for food/equine. Now small animal would be 'fun' for me. I live for food/equine.

I was teasing because I love food animal medicine. Equine medicine, on the other hand, is a different story (nothing against horses...love mine, just don't want to deal with other people's);)

Feeny if you are doing food or equine the USDA really needs vets in areas. I mean my friends hometown area has none..at all with a clinic.
Hey it's great your thinking ahead. I'd recommend the VIN Loan Repayment Simulator as a starting point. That will help with the interest rates. As far a food, rent, utilities ect. it varies by location, so it depends on where you're applying. I'd be happy to help with anything if you need a second set of eyes, I'm a math person and do budgets for fun :p.
Yes! In fact, in the "New Vet School" thread we are having a debate on this lol: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/new-vet-schools.1171308/

Submitted WSU's supplemental last night and Ohio's today. Finally, I can stop draining my poor bank account for a while ;)

Alright, finally submitted TMDSAS and my A&M Supplemental. It's all been sitting, saved and ready to submit for a couple weeks now, I just needed to make a few last (probably unnecessary) tweaks to my PS and pay the fee. All that's left is to mail my transcripts (oops... I thought I had done that and then noticed they were still sitting on the counter where I put them a few weeks ago) and a check overnight to A&M to pay that supplemental fee. Then I can sit back, relax, and not worry about it.

By which I mean I can study hard in biochemistry, twiddle my thumbs, and fret.

Would really appreciate advice...

UC Davis is my IS and absolute #1 choice. Quantitatively I'm a strong applicant. HOWEVER.... I just realized that the physiology course I am currently taking may not meet their standards for upper division. My pre-health advisor emailed Davis about it (since she was unsure if my course, numbered BIOL 42, is lower division), and they have not gotten back to her yet (it's been a week). I had not done the course substitution request form for this particular course because I thought it was the appropriate course as it completely matches their description of the pre-reqs. My school does its upper/lower division system strangely - classes are only consider upper division if they're graduate level courses available to undergraduates. Therefore, I think my physiology course, which is meant for undergrad juniors/seniors might not fit their requirement because in name it would be considered lower division at my university.
I'm wondering: do any of you know people who have been in similar predicaments? Is Davis super stringent on the upper division requirement? Do they double check with your university about all of the upper division courses? And if I want to drop this course and take an online upper div version, how do I indicate that on the supplement? Like on the pre-req verification page it's just a drop down list of courses you have already indicated on VMCAS. I'm going to call Davis on Monday, but this whole thing is majorly stressing me out. Am I completely screwed as far as applying this cycle? :(

Thanks so much in advance.

Wow, ironically, I will be meeting with a DVM/PhD next week to discuss working in his lab for next semester! They currently do research with cancer gene therapy, vaccines for adenovirus, and vaccines for the influenza virus.

Interviewed today and got accepted as a research/ lab assistant at OkState CVM!

That's exactly what I am at UGA! I love it. Congrats!

Wow, ironically, I will be meeting with a DVM/PhD next week to discuss working in his lab for next semester! They currently do research with cancer gene therapy, vaccines for adenovirus, and vaccines for the influenza virus.

Yay Research:biglove:

That's so exciting! Mine's regarding coccidia in sea turtles! And the doctor says that depending on how well I work with her, she'll give me another one of her research projects she's been meaning to finish but just doesn't have time to finish (like studying strand of HIV in horses!!)

That's so exciting! Mine's regarding coccidia in sea turtles! And the doctor says that depending on how well I work with her, she'll give me another one of her research projects she's been meaning to finish but just doesn't have time to finish (like studying strand of HIV in horses!!)

Mines with rhodococcus equi bacteria

So my question is, do you get play with sea turtles or just their coccidia?;)

So my question is, do you get play with sea turtles or just their coccidia?;)

Sadly only the sea turtle small intestine cell lines (with the coccidia in it to test the effect of the drug) right now. But who knows where research might take me! (Hopefully to the ocean to play with sea turtles)

Sadly only the sea turtle small intestine cell lines (with the coccidia in it to test the effect of the drug) right now. But who knows where research might take me! (Hopefully to the ocean to play with sea turtles)

Well you are *technically* still playing with sea turtles...sort of...if you squint:laugh:

Just out of curiousity:
For vet schools that average retaken courses, what would they average an A and a B? I switched majors after my freshman year and had already satisfied the genetic requirement with "Animal Genetics" and made it out with an A. Unfortunately, Arts and Sciences requires "General Genetics" so I am now taking that. I was hoping to make it out alive with another A, but I've lost hope after this last exam. The professor does not believe in partial credit and writes the most ridiculous exams. Argh!

Just out of curiousity:
For vet schools that average retaken courses, what would they average an A and a B? I switched majors after my freshman year and had already satisfied the genetic requirement with "Animal Genetics" and made it out with an A. Unfortunately, Arts and Sciences requires "General Genetics" so I am now taking that. I was hoping to make it out alive with another A, but I've lost hope after this last exam. The professor does not believe in partial credit and writes the most ridiculous exams. Argh!

A = 4.0 and B = 3.0, so the average would be 3.5. It doesn't matter that 3.5 (under most grading scales) doesn't correspond to a letter grade. Grading scales are different at different schools, so letter grades are converted into numbers.

Does that answer your question? I'm not 100% sure what you're asking.

Got an email from OkState today saying that they don't have any of my GRE scores. Let's just say I've made a bunch of phone calls today because VMCAS lost my GRE scores. It's been a rough day.

But on the bright side, I started research today and I'm happy to be there!

Got an email from OkState today saying that they don't have any of my GRE scores. Let's just say I've made a bunch of phone calls today because VMCAS lost my GRE scores. It's been a rough day.

But on the bright side, I started research today and I'm happy to be there!

Hope it gets resolved quickly! What are you doing research in? :)

Waiting for schools really sucks...I have so much to do, yet I can't think about anything else :(

Hope it gets resolved quickly! What are you doing research in? :)

Waiting for schools really sucks...I have so much to do, yet I can't think about anything else :(

I'm doing research with green turtles, and observing the drug metabolism with a coccidia medication.

A = 4.0 and B = 3.0, so the average would be 3.5. It doesn't matter that 3.5 (under most grading scales) doesn't correspond to a letter grade. Grading scales are different at different schools, so letter grades are converted into numbers.

Does that answer your question? I'm not 100% sure what you're asking.
That makes sense. Thanks!

Got an email from VMCAS yesterday saying that my GRE scores were in! I don't know how it happened (because I know the scores I just resubmitted didn't get there in 2 business days) but I'm not protesting! Back in the competition!

I am a bit confused about something. I am currently in my last semester since returning as a mature student but I applied this cycle. Will the schools consider my grades from this semester when they are complete in December, or will they go entirely off of my grades up until the deadline of applications? I am ready hoping that they will be considering my grades from this current semester because they are very high, unlike my original undergrad. Worried that this is going to affect my chances of getting in anywhere because if they are only going off of my VMCAS calculated GPA it is far from impressive (2.9) but if they went off my last 45 (including this current semester) it is going to be 3.9 (considering I maintain the high marks I am getting thus far). Anyone else in this situation??

I am a bit confused about something. I am currently in my last semester since returning as a mature student but I applied this cycle. Will the schools consider my grades from this semester when they are complete in December, or will they go entirely off of my grades up until the deadline of applications? I am ready hoping that they will be considering my grades from this current semester because they are very high, unlike my original undergrad. Worried that this is going to affect my chances of getting in anywhere because if they are only going off of my VMCAS calculated GPA it is far from impressive (2.9) but if they went off my last 45 (including this current semester) it is going to be 3.9 (considering I maintain the high marks I am getting thus far). Anyone else in this situation??

It is entirely dependent on the school itself. Some consider fall grades in conjunction with the interview for admission. Some only care enough to know that you are maintaining your GPA and/or prerequisite requirements. There are a wide variety of uses and acknowledgement on this.

It depends on the school. Some say they may look at the grades, and some only ask for them past the time they're reviewing applications. You could contact where you've applied and ask. Either way, congrats on getting your grades up!

Most schools will only utilize the grades that you submitted (i.e. what is completed) for the purposes of evaluating you as a candidate.

For any pre-requisites not completed that you are currently taking, they will want you to send in a transcript showing completion of those classes before you matriculate.

Some schools may update their GPAs after the semester, but I think most don't.

As to whether they use your cGPA, most-recent GPA, pre-requisite GPA, etc. .... that differs from school to school. You can check on the website of the school(s) to which you are applying for more information.

Quick question. I'm in the process of filling out the FAFSA, and I noted that entering parental income information is optional. What are the pros and cons of entering that information? I've done a bit of research, and can't seem to find any cons but I figured I would ask all of you knowledgeable people. :)