Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question. I'm in the process of filling out the FAFSA, and I noted that entering parental income information is optional. What are the pros and cons of entering that information? I've done a bit of research, and can't seem to find any cons but I figured I would ask all of you knowledgeable people. :)
I heard from my roommate who did submit her parent's info that theres a chance you could get around $2000 extra for loans

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question. I'm in the process of filling out the FAFSA, and I noted that entering parental income information is optional. What are the pros and cons of entering that information? I've done a bit of research, and can't seem to find any cons but I figured I would ask all of you knowledgeable people. :)

When I applied in undergrad with parents information, I didn't receive anything. For vet school and without my parents info, I receive 4000$ in scholarships. Not sure if it was parents or the fact that I am in vet school that made the difference.

Most schools provide the Health Professions Student Loan, which is subsidized. I believe it is about $3750/year, but in order to potentially qualify, you need to provide parental income. I was told to provide it anyway, even if you don't think you'll qualify.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only con I can think of is that your parents would be co-signers on that loan. I'm not sure exactly what that entails, but I'm assuming if you end up defaulting on the loan they would be liable as well, and the loan in general may affect their credit score. I just know my parents didn't want anything to do with my loans, which is fair, so I didn't include their info on my FAFSA.
When I applied in undergrad with parents information, I didn't receive anything. For vet school and without my parents info, I receive 4000$ in scholarships. Not sure if it was parents or the fact that I am in vet school that made the difference.
All vet students are considered independents for FAFSA purposes, so they can't refuse to give you loans based on how much your parents make. There also aren't federal grants available for vet school like there are for undergrad. So really including your parents' info on your FAFSA for vet school can only help you. I've also heard some schools want you to include your parents' info on FAFSA for scholarship purposes (I didn't know that at the time I filled out my FAFSA, oh well).

The only con I can think of is that your parents would be co-signers on that loan. I'm not sure exactly what that entails, but I'm assuming if you end up defaulting on the loan they would be liable as well, and the loan in general may affect their credit score. I just know my parents didn't want anything to do with my loans, which is fair, so I didn't include their info on my FAFSA.

All vet students are considered independents for FAFSA purposes, so they can't refuse to give you loans based on how much your parents make. There also aren't federal grants available for vet school like there are for undergrad. So really including your parents' info on your FAFSA for vet school can only help you. I've also heard some schools want you to include your parents' info on FAFSA for scholarship purposes (I didn't know that at the time I filled out my FAFSA, oh well).

Providing parents' information on the FAFSA does not make them co-signers. This is really important to know because you're right- if your parents are co-signers, they're legally responsible if you don't pay back your loans.

Grad students are generally considered independent regardless of age, but @lilylilac is correct that regardless of age (or marital status) you cannot be considered for the Health Professions Student Loan without parental information.

Reactions: 1 users
I honestly forgot how much I hated the waiting portion of applying. It is the worst part in my opinion.
It's horrible! I thought I would feel so relieved after submitting everything... but nope, the second I finished the apps I got a huge knot in the pit of my stomach.

It's horrible! I thought I would feel so relieved after submitting everything... but nope, the second I finished the apps I got a huge knot in the pit of my stomach.
Yes! The perpetual pit in the stomach!! Also, word of advice, don't go back and read your PS again or look through your experiences. I did this and started regretting the wording, the layout, what I did or didn't include. Such a bad idea haha then I go look at my VMCAS calculated GPA and want to cry all over again.

Yes! The perpetual pit in the stomach!! Also, word of advice, don't go back and read your PS again or look through your experiences. I did this and started regretting the wording, the layout, what I did or didn't include. Such a bad idea haha then I go look at my VMCAS calculated GPA and want to cry all over again.

I just spent an hour face palming over the EXACT same things! I'm never looking at it again. hahah

Reactions: 2 users

I found a typo half an hour after I submitted... after that I stopped looking.

Reactions: 3 users
I found a typo half an hour after I submitted... after that I stopped looking.

Omg, so, right after submitting my application I found a typo where I had called one of my research PIs "Alexandra" instead of "Alexander" -- AND he's a faculty member at one of the vet schools I applied to (not sure if he's on the adcom, I don't think so, but still!!!)..anyway, my name is Alexandra so it's basically instinctual for me to write that. I had to call VMCAS and have them unsubmit my application so I could fix it. I don't think I could have left it that way?!

I've looked over my application and reread everything more times than I can count..I don't think I looked at it this week, which is a step in the right direction. I keep comparing myself to other applicants though, which certainly doesn't help either ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg, so, right after submitting my application I found a typo where I had called one of my research PIs "Alexandra" instead of "Alexander" -- AND he's a faculty member at one of the vet schools I applied to (not sure if he's on the adcom, I don't think so, but still!!!)..anyway, my name is Alexandra so it's basically instinctual for me to write that. I had to call VMCAS and have them unsubmit my application so I could fix it. I don't think I could have left it that way?!

I've looked over my application and reread everything more times than I can count..I don't think I looked at it this week, which is a step in the right direction. I keep comparing myself to other applicants though, which certainly doesn't help either ...
It is like an addiction!!

Guys. Gals. Whatever.

Take a deep breath. The waiting is NOT agonizing - you're making it agonizing. Agonizing is absurd hyperbole.

This is a time to celebrate and be thrilled - you got through all the pre-reqs, you got your LORs, you wrote the stupid PS, filled out pages of application information, coughed up a chunk of change to apply .... you did a lot.

You should be thinking of this as thrilling, not agonizing. Believe me, the stress of waiting to hear back is miniscule compared to the stress of your first few months of vet school trying to figure out how to manage the flood of information .... then the stress of boards that you somehow have to take in the middle of fourth year when you're spending 12 hours/day at the hospital .... then the stress of your first job where you're reminded how little you really know while simultaneously managing clients that alternately love you and hate you ....

The stresses are just beginning. Don't let the application period be that big of a deal. If you have a hobby, throw yourself into it. If you have a job, pick up some extra shifts to bank some cash. If you like to travel, do it now and enjoy yourself. Keep picking up veterinary hours in case you need to apply again, and keep developing those relationships with vets and other people in the field.

Make yourself busy, and the application will go to the back of your mind. The first time around I obsessed over it and it sucked and I felt like it was awful, just like some of you feel now. The second time around I filed the application, never looked at it again, forgot about it, and was genuinely surprised when I got the interview offer - because I kept myself busy and moved on with life. I was like "oh, is it that time already?" Don't put your life on hold waiting for the answer.

Don't be First Time LIS, be Second Time LIS. Future you will thank current you.

This has been my yearly PSA. Good luck.

Reactions: 20 users

I have never filled out FASFA before because for undergrad I knew they would never give me anything, but from what other people are posting it looks like I have a good chance at getting some help! Have you already been accepted somewhere and thats why your filling out the FAFSA now, or can you fill it out and use whatever they give you for any school that you get accepted to in the future?! I'm such a newbie so I have no idea when these things should be getting done!!:(

I have never filled out FASFA before because for undergrad I knew they would never give me anything, but from what other people are posting it looks like I have a good chance at getting some help! Have you already been accepted somewhere and thats why your filling out the FAFSA now, or can you fill it out and use whatever they give you for any school that you get accepted to in the future?! I'm such a newbie so I have no idea when these things should be getting done!!:(
You can do the FAFSA now. Just make sure that you designate all of the vet schools that you applied to. Later on, if you get accepted and decide on a school, you can go back in and remove the others out.

Reactions: 1 user
You can do the FAFSA now. Just make sure that you designate all of the vet schools that you applied to. Later on, if you get accepted and decide on a school, you can go back in and remove the others out.

Thank you!!!

Guys. Gals. Whatever.

Take a deep breath. The waiting is NOT agonizing - you're making it agonizing. Agonizing is absurd hyperbole.

This is a time to celebrate and be thrilled - you got through all the pre-reqs, you got your LORs, you wrote the stupid PS, filled out pages of application information, coughed up a chunk of change to apply .... you did a lot.

You should be thinking of this as thrilling, not agonizing. Believe me, the stress of waiting to hear back is miniscule compared to the stress of your first few months of vet school trying to figure out how to manage the flood of information .... then the stress of boards that you somehow have to take in the middle of fourth year when you're spending 12 hours/day at the hospital .... then the stress of your first job where you're reminded how little you really know while simultaneously managing clients that alternately love you and hate you ....

The stresses are just beginning. Don't let the application period be that big of a deal. If you have a hobby, throw yourself into it. If you have a job, pick up some extra shifts to bank some cash. If you like to travel, do it now and enjoy yourself. Keep picking up veterinary hours in case you need to apply again, and keep developing those relationships with vets and other people in the field.

Make yourself busy, and the application will go to the back of your mind. The first time around I obsessed over it and it sucked and I felt like it was awful, just like some of you feel now. The second time around I filed the application, never looked at it again, forgot about it, and was genuinely surprised when I got the interview offer - because I kept myself busy and moved on with life. I was like "oh, is it that time already?" Don't put your life on hold waiting for the answer.

Don't be First Time LIS, be Second Time LIS. Future you will thank current you.

This has been my yearly PSA. Good luck.
This is great advice! Wish I could throw myself into work and hobbies, unfortunately I am still on the struggle bus that is my undergrad until December. So between studying 10 hours a day I find myself day-dreaming a lot about my applications and their current status. Must stop doing this! New goal: be second time LIS ! :)

LIS= Le Tits Now

Reactions: 4 users
I got a pit mix about a month and a half ago to keep me busy after my kitty (see avatar) passed away. We go out to play for at least an hour every day. She is my new hobby--aside from work and school, I can't say I have much else! Aside from like, netflix and stuff. Not sure what I'd do without her!

On a bit of an unrelated note, getting a dog has confirmed I am 110% a cat person. The dog is great and I love her, but she's just not a cat! :cat:

Reactions: 2 users
I got a pit mix about a month and a half ago to keep me busy after my kitty (see avatar) passed away. We go out to play for at least an hour every day. She is my new hobby--aside from work and school, I can't say I have much else! Aside from like, netflix and stuff. Not sure what I'd do without her!

On a bit of an unrelated note, getting a dog has confirmed I am 110% a cat person. The dog is great and I love her, but she's just not a cat! :cat:
Haha! I found out just the opposite when I got my dog! I got my cats as soon as I moved out after high school and totally thought I was a cat person, until I got my dog half way through undergrad... realized I'm 110% a dog person :p Of course my kitties are my precious babies and they're spoiled rotten but..... I'm getting another dog in a week or two :D

Oh that sounds so fun! I met with a foster to adopt a dog this week. He wasn't the right fit, but I'm still fantasizing about my future dog-filled life! Definitely a cat person though.

I'm actually doing all three things LIS suggested. Spending so much time working on my hobbies, picking up extra shifts at work to put some money into savings and into my travel budget, and recently booked tickets to Iceland for March! And with this lifestyle, I haven't looked at or stressed about my application since I submitted it, and the only reason I remember it at all is because I come on here. I'm having a great time.

Reactions: 5 users
I am honestly just bored. Last year, I was in that anxiety/impatience boat since it was my first time applying, but now that I'm familiar with the process (and am currently kept busy with classes), I haven't really given it any thought for the past month...I was actually only reminded a few days ago when someone posted an update here about a school email, ha! I know I'm not gonna hear anything from anywhere until at least November (which is actually coming up pretty fast :eek:), and by then I'll be more preoccupied with holidays and upcoming finals...so I'll just be here twiddling my thumbs and waiting for semester's end (and Christmas!!).

Providing parents' information on the FAFSA does not make them co-signers. This is really important to know because you're right- if your parents are co-signers, they're legally responsible if you don't pay back your loans.
Not even on the HPSL? If that's the case, interesting! We got that from the info session at Illinois interviews the year before last, but maybe we misunderstood.

Not even on the HPSL? If that's the case, interesting! We got that from the info session at Illinois interviews the year before last, but maybe we misunderstood.
Nope. There are a couple federal loans for undergrad that your parents can sign or cosign for (Parent PLUS comes to mind), but HPSL is not one of them. The parental information is used solely to determine eligibility--nothing else.

Tickets for South Africa for Christmas are booked! That flight's going to be horrible (23 hours not including the 18 hour layover in Dubai) but at least there will be free alcohol!

so while filling out the FAFSA you would put every school you applied to in the school list? it says it sends the information to each school.. is this something the schools look at or want to see that you filled it out?

Ugh FASFA. I have no idea how they calculate their numbers but $56,000 is more than my husband takes home after taxes. As he is the sole income of our household next year, trust me we cannot afford to pay that in tuition.

Ugh FASFA. I have no idea how they calculate their numbers but $56,000 is more than my husband takes home after taxes. As he is the sole income of our household next year, trust me we cannot afford to pay that in tuition.

Lol, according to FAFSA, with a $56,000 income, you should be able to put $56,000 toward tuition, since it's not like you have any other expenses! :laugh:

Should I start filling out FAFSA? I haven't even thought about it. I'm 23 and my parents won't be claiming me for the first time this year--does that mean I shouldn't include their information? I'm not even so sure it matters--according to the Cornell CVM financial aid website, they consider anyone under 30 to be dependent regardless of circumstances (source: https://www2.vet.cornell.edu/education/doctor-veterinary-medicine/financial-aid/assessing-need). Just using them as an example.

Lol, according to FAFSA, with a $56,000 income, you should be able to put $56,000 toward tuition, since it's not like you have any other expenses! :laugh:

Should I start filling out FAFSA? I haven't even thought about it. I'm 23 and my parents won't be claiming me for the first time this year--does that mean I shouldn't include their information? I'm not even so sure it matters--according to the Cornell CVM financial aid website, they consider anyone under 30 to be dependent regardless of circumstances (source: https://www2.vet.cornell.edu/education/doctor-veterinary-medicine/financial-aid/assessing-need). Just using them as an example.
This is false.

As a professional/graduate student, you are automatically considered by FAFSA to be an independent student, regardless of age or marital status. As for including parental information... it can only help you. If you enter parental information, you may be considered for the HPSL which is a loan with 0% interest while you're enrolled in a program that participates in it (not all of them do). You certainly don't have to--I'm not for the 2017 FAFSA because I didn't qualify this past year and highly doubt I will now--but there's really no downside to including it if you can and/or your parent are willing.

This is false.

As a professional/graduate student, you are automatically considered by FAFSA to be an independent student, regardless of age or marital status. As for including parental information... it can only help you. If you enter parental information, you may be considered for the HPSL which is a loan with 0% interest while you're enrolled in a program that participates in it (not all of them do). There's really no downside to including it.

It's not false for Cornell CVM specifically. I wasn't clear in that I wasn't referring to FAFSA for that part. Cornell specifically states "Family Contribution = student contribution (+ spouse, if married) + parents' contribution" -- so, if I got into Cornell, it wouldn't make a difference what information I included -- is what I meant. Sorry!

But yes, I've heard about being considered for the HPSL only if you enter your parental information. For the most part, I was planning on entering it regardless. Just considering my options! (not that I really have any! haha)

so while filling out the FAFSA you would put every school you applied to in the school list? it says it sends the information to each school.. is this something the schools look at or want to see that you filled it out?
Yup, and you can go back and edit the list later. Not really sure how things will work as far as when schools will look at these things since since people will be doing them earlier, but I imagine they're not going to care much about your FAFSA until you have actually said you'll be attending. It shouldn't play a role in admissions at all, and I would think for most if not all schools a completely different department looks at your financial aid stuff.

So I had a horrifying moment tonight. I was looking back through my application (Lord knows why!) and noticed that some of my "planned/in-progress" courses said they were for 0.0 credits! Gah!

I emailed the admissions office at VA-MD and told them I was, in fact, taking the courses for credit. Hoping it isn't a big issue since they don't really have any proof I'm taking them until they get the transcripts anyway, but still... can't help but worry.

I have a random question for you guys. Does anyone know if it would be okay to get rabies vaccinations now? I'm assuming the answer is yes and I would just need to get a titer or something before school starts next year (in the event that I even get in somewhere haha, I promise I'm not jumping the gun). I would be able to get them free through my employer right now, which is why I am curious. Thank you in advance :)

I have a random question for you guys. Does anyone know if it would be okay to get rabies vaccinations now? I'm assuming the answer is yes and I would just need to get a titer or something before school starts next year (in the event that I even get in somewhere haha, I promise I'm not jumping the gun). I would be able to get them free through my employer right now, which is why I am curious. Thank you in advance :)
Yeah, it should be good for at least a few years, and you can just get a titer done when you start vet school! That's what some of my classmates did.

Definitely take advantage of this!!! Paying for it yourself is something like $1200. I got it done for free at my school because I have their student health insurance & work at a wildlife clinic. Once you're a vet student, though, they make you pay for it here!

Definitely take advantage of this!!! Paying for it yourself is something like $1200. I got it done for free at my school because I have their student health insurance & work at a wildlife clinic. Once you're a vet student, though, they make you pay for it here!
I couldn't believe how much it was when I looked it up! Yeah I'm not sure if my own insurance will cover it, so I will definitely go ahead and do it now. Thank you!

If you can get the rabies shot for free, heck yes take advantage of that! It's good to have working as a tech anyways. Also, we had time slots between classes that we were supposed to get the shots. I had pretty strong immune responses to each one, which isn't fun to deal with during an anatomy practical or whatever thing is going on.