Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you can get the rabies shot for free, heck yes take advantage of that! It's good to have working as a tech anyways. Also, we had time slots between classes that we were supposed to get the shots. I had pretty strong immune responses to each one, which isn't fun to deal with during an anatomy practical or whatever thing is going on.

Ahh that really sucks, may I ask what happened? Just curious!

Members don't see this ad.

Headache each time, pretty sore arm, and a fever. It's different for everyone though.

Yeah, still lame though :(! I didn't have any side effects with mine. I even got a flu shot alongside it once, and still nothing. It's fascinating how everyone responds differently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, still lame though :(! I didn't have any side effects with mine. I even got a flu shot alongside it once, and still nothing. It's fascinating how everyone responds differently.

It was super cool to me to have finished immunology at the time I was having responses and I was able to explain what the vaccine was doing, why I wasn't actually contracting rabies and why I needed 3 shots lol

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, it should be good for at least a few years, and you can just get a titer done when you start vet school! That's what some of my classmates did.
Speaking of, I'm due for my titers....

Speaking of, I'm due for my titers....

How often are they technically supposed to get done? Do people pay out of pocket for that (since a lot of insurances don't cover the vaccine itself)? Do people ever need (gulp) boosters? I should probably know these things because I got vaccinated last year, but..

How often are they technically supposed to get done? Do people pay out of pocket for that (since a lot of insurances don't cover the vaccine itself)? Do people ever need (gulp) boosters? I should probably know these things because I got vaccinated last year, but..
I think it's every three years? I got mine done in the summer of 2013, so i'm due probably.
Depends on insurance.
I have no idea. Maybe?

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, wish I had a way to get pre-exp rabies series for free. I'm technically strongly recommended to have it for my program but haven't looked into it yet other than asking around at pharmacies and calling the insurance about coverage (which was confusing as hell and really didn't answer my question...)

Which, to go into detail on the pharmacies...this was a couple months ago, when the semester had barely started. I went into town and decided to check with CVS Pharmacy first--they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I asked about rabies vaccines, girl at the counter looked very confused and asked "...for your pet?" I further explained that i meant the pre-exposure 3-vaccine series for people...she goes and asks older pharmacist guy in the back "she says she wants...predisposed to rabies vaccine...?" :rofl:SMH
Meanwhile Walgreen's had already served some of my classmates, so they knew the drill and excellently explained everything about the series, costs, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Phooey to all of you people getting discounted--and free!?--rabies shots. I shelled out nearly a grand for mine.

But in all seriousness, yeah, I think most people do have a fairly strong immune response to them, and there's always a couple that have really bad reactions (I know of at least one in my class who had to check in at the student health center afterwards because she felt so poorly). The second one was definitely worst for me: my arm was basically dead for the next day and a half, pretty significant headache, fever, nausea. I'm just thankful that I elected to do mine on Fridays after school; I would not have been a happy camper if I had had to attend class like that.

Here's to hoping that my titers in third year are good so I don't need a booster going into clinics... :xf:

Just wondering if anyone who interviewed for RVC last year might be able to tell me a bit about the interview process, how it went, what to expect etc... I feel like I do not have enough time to prepare (its November 13th) and read the interview prep books! The idea of a "group exercise" makes me nervous, and I have never experienced an MMI interview before. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you !!!

It was super cool to me to have finished immunology at the time I was having responses and I was able to explain what the vaccine was doing, why I wasn't actually contracting rabies and why I needed 3 shots lol
I've discovered a couple of my classmates actually thought you could get the flu from a flu shot. :bang: But we don't have immuno until next semester, lol.

That would definitely suck to have to go take a test with a vaccine reaction! I had a low-grade fever after the first rabies vax, but luckily it was the weekend before classes started so I didn't have anything going on. The other two were on Friday afternoons when we didn't have classes afterward, and with those I just had a sore arm.

At K-State they check our titers before we start clinics. I'm not sure if we have to pay for it if insurance doesn't cover it, but I would assume so. I have no idea how much getting titers done costs. The vaccines themselves are $825 total here, but I got really lucky and my insurance covered them! Anyway, I've heard that usually just a couple people have to get a booster before clinics, and I think I've heard of some people lasting 10+ years with their titers still good (but don't quote me on that...). Again, it depends on the person. Also fun fact, K-State doesn't technically require that we get rabies vaccines, it's just strongly recommended unless you have a medical or religious reason to not get them.

My school had us do titers before starting clinics. I think two or three people needed boosters but almost all of us were fine. It's been five and a half years for me, and my titers are still well within the acceptable range. I had to have titers for a ton of stuff (rabies, Q fever, etc) when I started residency. I had a sore arm after the second rabies shot initially, but by far the worst vaccine I have had was a tdap I had in July. My arm had a 3cm red, swollen painful area at the injection site for over a week, my arm hurt like heck, and I was febrile/lethargic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

My school had us do titers before starting clinics. I think two or three people needed boosters but almost all of us were fine. It's been five and a half years for me, and my titers are still well within the acceptable range. I had to have titers for a ton of stuff (rabies, Q fever, etc) when I started residency. I had a sore arm after the second rabies shot initially, but by far the worst vaccine I have had was a tdap I had in July. My arm had a 3cm red, swollen painful area at the injection site for over a week, my arm hurt like heck, and I was febrile/lethargic.

Oh really? My tdap wasn't too bad. I have to get typhoid and hep A vaccines in the next 2-3 weeks so I'm not thrilled.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Tdap was the worst. My arm was super painful and stiff as a bored. I think I slept for 24 hours after that. Misery.

Ive been reading the veterinary medical ethics book by Rollins and it is SO interesting. Highly recommend it to anyone doing MMI style interviews, or if you are just super interested in all of those controversial ethical topics that pop up in vet med.

This thread reminded me that I'm due for a TDaP booster next year... definitely not looking forward to that.

Every 10! My last one was in 2007. I think it is 5 years with injury, too, but don't quote me on that.

Oh good! My TDaP was in 08, but I haven't had injury since then (crud. I'm due in 2 years).... do you think I can just do it early? I'm going to South Africa and so I'm having to get all of the vaccines anyway. I'd rather hate my life at one time than hate my life multiple times

I probably would have been due for a booster sometime next year, but a cat bite through my finger last year means I got to have a Td booster early lol

I haven't had tdap since 2004

I don't think that's SUCH a big deal, but I think every 10 years is the general recommendation? I had one in 2007, so I'm coming up for another...

edit: sorry, a bunch of people already said how often you need one :p

I haven't had tdap since 2004
emoji15.png
If I understood the NP that did mine correctly, the tdap vaccine is a one time thing (unless you're pregnant, then you get boostered) that's only been around since about 2005. The Td part needs boostered, but not the 'ap' (whooping cough/pertussis) part. He told me in the future to tell them I just needed Td. Which is good because I tolerated Td just fine in high school aside from a day of mild arm pain, but the tdap sucked. Trivial fact and one your doctor would probably already check into, but I thought I'd share since I didn't know about it until this summer.

If I understood the NP that did mine correctly, the tdap vaccine is a one time thing (unless you're pregnant, then you get boostered) that's only been around since about 2005. The Td part needs boostered, but not the 'ap' (whooping cough/pertussis) part. He told me in the future to tell them I just needed Td. Which is good because I tolerated Td just fine in high school aside from a day of mild arm pain, but the tdap sucked. Trivial fact and one your doctor would probably already check into, but I thought I'd share since I didn't know about it until this summer.

That was my understanding too, but when I went in to get a booster for what I thought was just tetanus a couple weeks ago, the doctor told me they now recommend getting the entire tdap vaccine booster. Something about the childhood vaccines not providing the lasting immunity they were thought to. I'm sure you can just get tetanus if you request it, though :)

That was my understanding too, but when I went in to get a booster for what I thought was just tetanus a couple weeks ago, the doctor told me they now recommend getting the entire tdap vaccine booster. Something about the childhood vaccines not providing the lasting immunity they were thought to. I'm sure you can just get tetanus if you request it, though :)
Hmm, interesting. Like I said, I was just told to get the tdap once as an adult (I do think he said that 'kiddie vaccines didn't count' now that you mention that) and I'd be covered, but things do change and your info is a little more recent than mine. Guess I'll remember to clarify when I am told I need another. Thanks.

Interview question: if you schedule an interview with one school, then receive admission from another school that you want to accept, is it customary to cancel the interview from the former school, even if it's only a couple weeks away? I'm sure someone has been in such a spot?

Interview question: if you schedule an interview with one school, then receive admission from another school that you want to accept, is it customary to cancel the interview from the former school, even if it's only a couple weeks away? I'm sure someone has been in such a spot?

If you are 100 percent sure you'd like to attend yes, it's not unheard of. however, you won't lose your spot at the latter school by not accepting it right away. you have until April to secure it. but if I was sure I'd go to this latter school and wanted to save the interview money, yeah I'd cancel the interview.

If you are 100 percent sure you'd like to attend yes, it's not unheard of. however, you won't lose your spot at the latter school by not accepting it right away. you have until April to secure it. but if I was sure I'd go to this latter school and wanted to save the interview money, yeah I'd cancel the interview.

Yeah, I was thinking about it more in terms of cost. Even if I get into my IS, there is one school that I think I would interview at regardless because I like their curriculum, but I may skip out on the one across the country to save the money.

This is also provided I get interview(s), which is iffy :p

This thread reminded me that I'm due for a TDaP booster next year... definitely not looking forward to that.
I have no idea when I last got one... I should probably look into that next time I go home, most likely I'm due for one.
I canceled my interview with SGU after I got accepted to K-State, since I was sure I would rather attend K-State. It was about a week before the interview was scheduled, but it was going to be a Skype interview, so it wasn't like they were going to invite someone else in my place that would need to make travel plans. Obviously there were no travel costs for me either, but I didn't want to waste my interviewer's time when I really didn't want to go there anymore.

It's November 1st. And while everyone else is already thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas, all I can think about is that I should start hearing back from a few of the vet schools I applied to soon.

Reactions: 7 users
It's November 1st. And while everyone else is already thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas, all I can think about is that I should start hearing back from a few of the vet schools I applied to soon.
Disregard
Start playing Christmas music!

Go watch the entirety of Lost. Or supernatural. Or any show that has lots of long episodes

I started playing holiday music midway through October . . .

I don't like seeing Christmas commercials on TV or hearing music in stores until after Thanksgiving. But the holiday season is so short, and if I don't start now I'll never get through all of the movies and music! :D

Seriously. You will very much regret it if you spend the whole application cycle worrying and stressing out about vet school (I certainly did, and now I really wish I would have taken the advice to relax). It's out of your hands; no use fretting over it. Go do something fun! :)

I used to absolutely despise Christmas music but yesterday I put Mariah Carey Holiday on Pandora and have been living for it! All the warm fuzzy feelings :love:

Our Walmart had a Christmas countdown up two weeks ago....

I work for Disney - magic kingdom took down their halloween decorations and replaced them with christmas decorations overnight. They had a halloween party last night and everything. It's impressive.

-hiss- I want to celebrate my turkey!
I claim my Canadian heritage and use their turkey day date. Christmas music all day erryday. :D

(Pandora's Mariah Carey holiday station is fantastic).

(I also like Rockin' Holidays).

(...and Frosty the Snowman I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas radio...)

Reactions: 1 users
Look, I like Christmas music. It's happy. It's fun.
But when they start playing it this early then by Christmas I can't stand it.
It's all different versions of the same handful of songs anyways. :p
Same here! The only sort-of Christmas music I'll listen to before Thanksgiving is The Nutcracker, because I used to do ballet so I'm used to Nutcracker rehearsals starting in September, and then being done with it by early December. :p It's nostalgic.

BI's simply having a wonderful Christmas time and is trying to share it with you. ;)
It's November. And not the November after thanksgiving. The day after thanksgiving, go wild with Christmas music. But bah humbug, it's not Christmas yet!

Reactions: 5 users
It's November. And not the November after thanksgiving. The day after thanksgiving, go wild with Christmas music. But bah humbug, it's not Christmas yet!

This, this, this. At least finish your leftovers before the halls are decked you yuletide miscreants.

Reactions: 4 users