Future Med Help

Future_Med1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently a High School student.
Most of my family are involved in the medical field. My mom and multiple Aunts along with my cousin are RN's. I have recently been interested in either the PA or MD route.
The PA route entices me with less schooling, and the pay is not bad at all.
The MD route has more schooling, better pay and autonomy.
Pay is not really a factor. Med school has more debt in the end, but if you're smart about it, you can get rid of your debt rather quickly.
For the MD's out there and if there are PA's here, what made you go that route and is there anything you would have changed?
I want to be able to have family time, with some vacation.
My mom doesn't want me to go to Med school because she thinks I will never have time to be with my family and to be involved. Is that true?
I want to be able to live a good enough lifestlye to be home in evenings, and maybe every other weekend?
I am going to shadow a PA in the ER in the coming weeks. I want to also shadow a MD.
What specialty would be best for a decent lifestyle to be home with family or am I dreaming?
Would PA be better for lifestyle?
My problem with being a PA is not bring able to make any calls and always be under an MD.
Any suggestions are helpful!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My suggestion is to stop worrying about what you are considering and focus on getting into college for the Bachelors Degree first! The pre-recs are basically the same for PA and MD/DO at many schools and by half-way through you will have many questions answered. It's like preparing for a marathon and asking about what type of water will be available on the route. Just know that it will be there and focus on getting in to the best school possible so you have the best chances possible.

Hello,
I am currently a High School student.
Most of my family are involved in the medical field. My mom and multiple Aunts along with my cousin are RN's. I have recently been interested in either the PA or MD route.
The PA route entices me with less schooling, and the pay is not bad at all.
The MD route has more schooling, better pay and autonomy.
Pay is not really a factor. Med school has more debt in the end, but if you're smart about it, you can get rid of your debt rather quickly.
For the MD's out there and if there are PA's here, what made you go that routeand is there anything you would have changed?
I want to be able to have family time, with some vacation.
My mom doesn't want me to go to Med school because she thinks I will never have time to be with my family and to beinvolved. Is that true?
I want to be able to live a good enough lifestlye to be home in evenings, and maybe every other weekend?
I am going to shadow a PA in the ER in the coming weeks. I want to also shadow a MD.
What specialty would be best for a decent lifestyle to be home with family or am I dreaming?
Would PA be better for lifestyle?
My problem with being a PA is not bring able to make any calls and always be under an MD.
Any suggestions are helpful!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You posted this same exact question a few days ago and got a couple replies...