Future Outlook on Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnderGrad2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of negativity is posted on this forum about Optometry. I am currently a Junior trying to decide the route to go with Professional School. Optometry has always seemed like the logical choice to me as my father has had his own private practice for several years now. We live in a relatively rural area and the business has continued to grow over the years. It has always been assumed that I would join him in his practice once I get out of Optometry School. Here lately, I have considered the possibility of going to Medical or Dental School because of some of the things I have saw on these forums (Corporate Optometry, being able to purchase contacts online, etc,), but I have spoken to many people and the consensus has been that Optometry is indeed a good career choice for myself given the situation that I am in. However, as I go look to make a choice towards my future career I would like to here opinions from an outsiders perspective. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Dentistry and medicine would of course be a better prospect. Go shadow some doctors and dentists and see if you really like the job nature when compared to what you have already known in optometry.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what Optometry is coming down to: http://www.for2020now.com/
I really like that small disclaimer you gotta click on in the bottom right. If they're going to do this I believe that they should make it mandatory to visit an optometrist to check ocular health. Or at least have it so that the prescription is only valid if an optometrist signs it in person.

It's not just about getting glasses....

OP,

you should keep in mind that the average cost of dental education is 350k$ with many private schools rack up to 420k$ upon graduation (some reach 500k$)

The average dental school cost without living is not $350k. It is much lower. Seems high even with living costs included. Also saying "google it" or "check sdn forum" isn't a source...so I took it as "I made this up"

:rofl::whistle: Think whatever you want. My comment is for the OP. He will do research on his own if he wants to.

Last edited:
OP,

you should keep in mind that the average cost of dental education is 350k$ with many private schools rack up to 420k$ upon graduation (some reach 500k$)

When you factor in cost of living, tuition, fees, loan origination fees plus the interest compounding over 4 years 400k is pretty typical for an out of state or private dental school. That online average you see is taking the average of all students, instate, out of state, those you graduate with no debt due to military scholarship or parent help. You can look at a school's website, add the numbers add another 20k a year for living (depending on where you live) compound those amounts at 6.8% for 4 years and you'll get the these figures, roughly.

When you factor in cost of living, tuition, fees, loan origination fees plus the interest compounding over 4 years 400k is pretty typical for an out of state or private dental school. That online average you see is taking the average of all students, instate, out of state, those you graduate with no debt due to military scholarship or parent help. You can look at a school's website, add the numbers add another 20k a year for living (depending on where you live) compound those amounts at 6.8% for 4 years and you'll get the these figures, roughly.

I think you might want to dedicate this particular post of yours to Mr. @Screwtape as I was the person who quotes average cost of dental education is 350k$ (meaning half below and half above). Half below this debt might be due to inexpensive in state public schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I was trying to support what you were saying in your comment. But yeah, bottom line, dental school is expensssiiiiive!

Reactions: 1 user
400k including living expenses for private/OOS schools sounds about right. This is very different than saying "the average cost of dental school without living costs is $350k" as @darknightzzz stated. That would mean the average tuition and fees is close to $90k....which just isn't true.

400k including living expenses for private/OOS schools sounds about right. This is very different than saying "the average cost of dental school without living costs is $350k" as @darknightzzz stated. That would mean the average tuition and fees is close to $90k....which just isn't true.

u miss my point. it includes loan origination and accumulated interest and other fees of the schools, which pushes yearly cost to around 80k$ some public schools are lower than this And most private schools are higher. anyhow, i am writing this for the OP so its best not to give him the false impression of super super inexpensive tuition but rather a good ballpark Amount

I was in the same position as you with this dilemma of optometry or dental. I was already accepted to optometry when I decided to pursue dental. I needed to stop letting people "convince" me of the "good job aspect" of optometry and doing the research for myself. Its ultimately your life and your career choice. Optometry is not the same what it used to be and the future outlook. Your working hard for the goal so I would do some serious research if your thinking of deciding to do that career choice.

If you get into your instate school for Dentistry, it is not that expensive. It just depends where you go. If you go to a private dental school or out of state, it is extremely high. It was actually cheaper than optometry school for me. Optometry school would of been about 240k for schooling and living expenses, but my dental school is going to be 220k for schooling and living expenses.

optometry school costs 200k????????????????

are you serious? just to learn how to do comprehensive test, refract, and prescribe red eye/dry eye/itchy eye?

optometry school costs 200k????????????????

are you serious? just to learn how to do comprehensive test, refract, and prescribe red eye/dry eye/itchy eye?

200k for dental school? Just to clean teeth and fill cavities?

Reactions: 2 users
200k for dental school? Just to clean teeth and fill cavities?

dental school is not 200k. much higher than that.

at least cleaning teeth cant be done by a specialized machina. nothing in dentistry is automated/machinized. we also do extraction, root canal, implant, teeth whitening and the list goes on. and we dont have a MD specialize in Dentistry that also does the same thing and patients flood there

but u get some right, future optical salesman/saleswoman

at least cleaning teeth cant be done by the refractor. nothing in dentistry is automated/machinized. we also do extraction, root canal, implant, teeth whitening and the list goes on. and we dont have a MD specialize in Dentistry that also does the same thing and patients flood there

No, I'm pretty sure it's just cleaning and cavities. I've been to the dentist, so... I'm kind of an expert.

No, I'm pretty sure it's just cleaning and cavities. I've been to the dentist, so... I'm kind of an expert.

lol sure. i have been to optometrist too and all they know is to operate a very simple machine and then say "1 or 2" and then convince patients to get contact lense or brand name frames that are super expensive

too bad i just take their lense prescription and head to costco for a 140$ glass + lense

P.S: forgot, they also told me to take fish oil pills and use Refresh artificial tears too. so you should practice this habit in optometry school also @Snakedoctor1

Last edited:

Practically all private dental schools will run 500K+ now accounting for accrued interest if a student borrows to the cost of attendance.

at least cleaning teeth cant be done by a specialized machina. nothing in dentistry is automated/machinized. we also do extraction, root canal, implant, teeth whitening and the list goes on. and we dont have a MD specialize in Dentistry that also does the same thing and patients flood there

You probably just got accepted to dental school so don't get so cocky about other profession so much yet. Be respectful, and every profession has good and bad side. To enlighten you a little bit, I have been to dentists where techs do the filling, drilling, and cleaning pretty much everything a dentist does and at some instances they would do a better job than dentist they are working for. However, that does not mean there aren't any good ones - I've been to dentists who are extremely caring and professional which is same in every medical profession. I'll leave at this for now!

You probably just got accepted to dental school so don't get so cocky about other profession so much yet. Be respectful, and every profession has good and bad side. To enlighten you a little bit, I have been to dentists where techs do the filling, drilling, and cleaning pretty much everything a dentist does and at some instances they would do a better job than dentist they are working for. However, that does not mean there aren't any good ones - I've been to dentists who are extremely caring and professional which is same in every medical profession. I'll leave at this for now!

the "techs" you see are probably dental therapist (must work under a dentist, who checks his/her work, probably few years after BS degree). dental therapists can do very little drilling/fillings. Dental hygienist (who complete 4 year bachelor degree) can't do fillings/drillings and only can do cleanings.

I am not being cocky. I just ask out of my curiosity and my post was attacked.

lol sure. i have been to optometrist too and all they know is to operate a very simple machine and then say "1 or 2" and then convince patients to get contact lense or brand name frames that are super expensive

too bad i just take their lense prescription and head to costco for a 140$ glass + lense

P.S: forgot, they also told me to take fish oil pills and use Refresh artificial tears too. so you should practice this habit in optometry school also @Snakedoctor1
As I've mentioned before I've been to dentists who don't even know how to do proper cleaning and use groupons to attract patients and hands a bill for $3000 dental works, and tell the patient to get dental work done which really is not necessary. At the end it's a personal preference to get the service done where one is at the dentist or optometry office. If you think its not working out then move on and go where it is more affordable. You need keep off of saying random facts because it is the same in all the medical professions. Everybody whines about everyone while all the medical professions are very interconnected.

the "techs" you see are probably dental therapist (must work under a dentist, who checks his/her work, probably few years after BS degree). dental therapists can do very little drilling/fillings. Dental hygienist (who complete 4 year bachelor degree) can't do fillings/drillings and only can do cleanings.

I am not being cocky. I just ask out of my curiosity and my post was attacked.
Not quite true, totally depends on what states you reside on. They are not dental therapist just technician - have certificate. Every state is different. They don't need a four years BS degree.

No technician is drilling on teeth bud. Check your facts.
They don't suppose to but they do anyway because doctor is allowing it which is illegal. Telling you from personal experience!!!!

As I've mentioned before I've been to dentists who don't even know how to do proper cleaning and use groupons to attract patients and hands a bill for $3000 dental works, and tell the patient to get dental work done which really is not necessary. At the end it's a personal preference to get the service done where one is at the dentist or optometry office. If you think its not working out then move on and go where it is more affordable. You need keep off of saying random facts because it is the same in all the medical professions. Everybody whines about everyone while all the medical professions are very interconnected.

unethical practice is everywhere and skills range from one dentist to another. may be what you hear is just hearsay or probably that is what is needed but just the patient doesnt feel its needed (they dont go to dental schools)

They don't suppose to but they do anyway because doctor is allowing it which is illegal. Telling you from personal experience!!!!

again, unethical practice. you can file a complaint against this dentist which will make him stop doing this.

from what you describe, they are dental assistants (with certificate) they cant do cleaning, they can apply prophy thats all.

What kind of illogical argument are you making? Since a kid with a GED can play doctor in Florida that means people with only a GED can perform the job of an actual physician? I'm not going to get into this optometry argument but please don't make it seem like technicians drilling and filling is anywhere near the norm in dentistry. You said it yourself, it's illegal.

lol sure. i have been to optometrist too and all they know is to operate a very simple machine and then say "1 or 2" and then convince patients to get contact lense or brand name frames that are super expensive @Snakedoctor1

I can see we're both experts then. This has been an intellectually stimulating back and forth.

Maybe when the class of 2021 graduates, not now though. Only a few cost that much today.

Uh, No. Nearly all private dental schools will run that much. People graduating NOW from most private schools are owing 500K.

Uh, No. Nearly all private dental schools will run that much. People graduating NOW from most private schools are owing 500K.
Lol for every ONE school you name that costs $500k today, I'll name THREE private schools that do not. Ok go!

I couldn't wait, I'll start this off. Harvard, Marquette, creighton, Lecom, touro, nova, Loma Linda, roseman, Detroit mercy, temple, Howard, meharry... Maybe a few more but that's all i could think of for now.

The ones that do? NYU, USC, Columbia, Midwestern, maybe penn, maybe tufts or bu but I think they are a tad lower than $500k.

I know there are a few others. I don't have the most recent ADEA book, someone that does help us out !

So I guess it be like 60/40 split or even 70/30, with the majority NOT costing $500k.

"Nearly all private schools" seems to be quite the incorrect exaggeration.

Last edited:
Lol for every ONE school you name that costs $500k today, I'll name THREE private schools that do not. Ok go!

I couldn't wait, I'll start this off. Harvard, Marquette, creighton, Lecom, touro, nova, Loma Linda, roseman, Detroit mercy, temple, Howard, meharry... Maybe a few more but that's all i could think of for now.

The ones that do? NYU, USC, Columbia, Midwestern, maybe penn, maybe tufts or bu but I think they are a tad lower than $500k.

I know there are a few others. I don't have the most recent ADEA book, someone that does help us out !

So I guess it be like 60/40 split or even 70/30, with the majority NOT costing $500k.

"Nearly all private schools" seems to be quite the incorrect exaggeration.

500k doesn't mean just for the tuition. It is all the loans accumulated with interest. 500k can be from tuition + living costs + interest rate. And depending on the city you are going to school in, living costs differ.

500k doesn't mean just for the tuition. It is all the loans accumulated with interest. 500k can be from tuition + living costs + interest rate. And depending on the city you are going to school in, living costs differ.
Yes I understand that (all too well unfortunately being a D3 :( ), do you disagree with the schools I listed and being below or over $500k?

Yes I understand that (all too well unfortunately being a D3 :( ), do you disagree with the schools I listed and being below or over $500k?

Nope, don't disagree lol but depending on the student and how much ridiculous spending they want to do during dental school, it could reach up to 500k

What she said. Also consider that many students have ~50K of undergrad debt and will be right around 500K.

Getting into optometry school is a cakewalk compared to getting into dental/medical school.
If you want safer job prospects then avoid optometry and attempt to gain admission at the more difficult graduate programs.

Getting into optometry school is a cakewalk compared to getting into dental/medical school.
If you want safer job prospects then avoid optometry and attempt to gain admission at the more difficult graduate programs.

You mean more difficult professional schools? Graduate programs are an M.S., M.A., PhD, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Difficult admission does not necessarily mean good job prospects.

Dentistry was smart enough to avoid getting caught in the insurance trap. I have great dental insurance, but still pay 50% of cost for in network. A root canal from an endontists costs more than cataract surgery. Ophthalmologists are bumming.