About the ads

Future Podiatrist needing guidance ???

Discussion in 'Podiatry Students' started by pw079, Jul 21, 2005.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. pw079

pw079 Removed

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hello all
    Ever since the first time i went to see my pod i realized that (keep in mind i have always enjoyed feet) i wanted to do that. I was always fascinated witht eh foot problems that came in when i was in the waiting room and loved when i had ingrown toe-nails b/c i knew i could see me pod and all. I have always wanted to be a doctor and i always thought when i was younger that a pod was MD trained.. But then as i matured and became older and talked to my pod more and learned it was a separate degree and there was an actual Podiatry School i thought i had it made so now im here and want to kno from all you pods in training or exp pods on how i need to go about doing things in school and such im in school doing the basics still but im most definetly sure without a doubt that i want to be a podiatrist so GUIDE ME in the direction i need...

Thanks--PW
  2. PM2

PM2 Podiatric Medical Student

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Warning to all........ :smuggrin:

If one doesn't doesn't find this post curious, then one should check out some of his/her previous post.

Obviously trying to anger any who will bite. :thumbdown:
  3. Foot Surgeon

Foot Surgeon New Member

This guy needs to go elsewhere. I always wonder what people get out of starting forum fights. :oops:
  4. dr2bjake

dr2bjake Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Is this guy a "junior" in college or high school? Just wondering trying to figure out if he is a legitimate over - achiever or just the "fire starter" that all you claim him to me. (Not that I am in any disagreement)

Take Care
  5. PM2

PM2 Podiatric Medical Student

SDN 5+ Year Member

dr2bjake,

check out this thread and read some other eamples if you like.

http://forums2.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2553789#post2553789

If I am wrong, I will be sorry for my actions. Therefore, I offer per the following link:

http://www.aacpm.org/

Per can also click on the APMSA link at the top of podiatry DPM
  6. pw079

pw079 Removed

PM2 thanks for getting my previous post for some reason that i cant quite understand, but who cares i want to be a Podiatrist.. and that is my frist priority and yes i did post that b/c if podiatry doest work out i want to go to MD/DO to work as an Emergency Med. Physician... And lastly to you you think you would want to encourage someone to join the field instead of being an @$$ i was trying to stir up anything i just wanted know from experience people like yourself and others.. SO sorry for me wanting to know about my future and sorry if i made u mad for posting about my other career interests......
    ---------------
    and yes i a Jr. in HS and yes im goal oriented and know what I want to kno i have known since i was young, So i guess im an over achiever then.. And dont give me "that your in HS you dont know what you want to do" b/c i do and i was just looking for some professionals like you and others to talk to me but im sorry for this inconvience
  7. dr2bjake

dr2bjake Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    pw079,

Your post was no inconvenience. The only thing that strikes me as a little "odd" is that you posted on wanting to be everything from an oral-maxofacial (sp?) surgeon to veterinarian (???) and then to podiatrist. :confused:

That is a good thing that you are goal oriented... I too have wanted to pursue medicine since an early age (the 5th grade - when we learned about the anatomy of the ear). There is nothing wrong with finding out as much information now as you can. But the one thing I have learned is that, for starters, your views can change over the years and that this process of getting accepted gets more and more difficult with each passing year. I would first concentrate on getting into college and maintaining a high (competitive) GPA and most importantly "rocking" the MCAT. All the drive and passion for the field of medicine, in combination with strong extra-curricular activities, are no match for the emphasis that admissions committees put on grades and MCAT scores. I volunteered, took the MCAT 4 times, got a masters degree, and was published! I commend you on your undying pursuit from such an early point! :thumbup:

To honestly admit, podiatry wasn't my first choice... but it was my BEST choice! I am grateful for my acceptance and will work hard at pursuing my dream of being a physician in the medical community.

Good luck!
  8. drbeesh

drbeesh Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    The best thing I can tell you is to not only do well in your classes, but also volunteer and shadow podiatrists. If you contact the APMA, I'm sure they can provide you with a number of podiatrists close to your area and this way you can get an early exposure to the profession - it won't help your knowledge very much at this point but at least you'll get a stronger and clearer idea about the types of services podiatrists provide. I also strongly recommend you shadowing MD's and DO's in different specialties...

hope that helps...