FYI: Consider University of Missouri-St. Louis College of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umslstudent2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I commend and respect all optometry students and the institutions they attend, I thought I would post some information on the school that I chose.

Reasons to attend UMSL

1) Pre-Professional honors program: finish undergraduate and graduate programs in seven years!
http://optometry.umsl.edu/students/scholinfo.htm

2) In-state tuition makes sense for Missouri residents. Merit scholarships for out-of-state residents cut down on costs!
For more information visit optometry.umsl.edu and check out the, "Costs to attend...and Financial Resources" powerpoint

3) Lots of student and professional organizations to get you involved!
http://optometry.umsl.edu/organizations/organpag.html

4) Small class sizes: with only 44 in your class, you quickly bond and form an extended family. This also allows more one-on-one attention from professors, TAs, and tutors.

5) Tons of externship sites: the fourth year of the professional program at the College of Optometry consists of six eight-week advanced clinical rotations (externships) in the core optometric discipline. In the externship manual available online, I found 324 sites you can visit. Some of these are even international. You can also set up your own in some cases.

If you have any more questions about the school, feel free to PM me or post on this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Good to see someone from umsl on this forum. I could never find any when I needed them. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. Not an advertisement. I just finished my first year at UMSL and I feel it is important for people to know why it is a good school.

oh ok. Just saw that you had only 2 posts, both of which were "pro-umsl". :)

Hey I just recently got an interview for umsl school of optometry and was wondering if you could give me some advice. Why did you choose usml in comparison to other schools? What most do you enjoy about it? Do you have any tips for the interview? I don't live in st. Louis so how is the city? Is the crime really that bad?
Thanks in advance!

Hey I also got an interview for umsl school of optometry, is there any advice you can give me for it?