G.I bill Coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brownbeans

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently in the Air Force ROTC program at my university. I have the ultimate plan of becoming a doctor, but I'm going to do my service for 4 years prior to entering med school. My question is how much would the G.I bill cover for my medical school expenses? I read somewhere that they cover 100% for the first 36 months but wasn't sure if that was true.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Pilot is right but to add on.-
You only accrue G.I bill days when you are on full active duty, everything else is considered tuition assistance. The amount you server on active duty does correspond to the amount of schooling you get paid.
To answer your question about how much they will pay, they pay up to the largest public university/college in-state tuition rate. Generally that does not cover the cost of medical school.
Also with that, if your graduate school is attached or in the same program as an undergraduate school i.e University of Colorado Denver provides undergraduate and graduate programs, the G.I Bill will only pay for the undergrad amount but you can apply it to your medical school instead.
(I understand it's a lot and it's messy and I may or may not have a tendency for run on sentences)

To clear anything up, from the VA website-
"If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program."

Furthermore here is a tool from the website to calculate (you can also include what school your interested in and it will show you how much of it they will pay) as well as a pamphlet with more information on it.

Tool (Select Veteran as that is what you will be after your contract) - https://www.vets.gov/gi-bill-comparison-tool

Pamphlet - http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/docs/pamphlets/ch33_pamphlet.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Now this might just be a calculator error on the VA's behalf but the school i'm interested as previously mentioned, University of Colorado Denver, has an annual tuition of $36,700.00. (source)
However the website/calculator is giving me a number of $8,500.00 annually. (source)
Now I know that University of Colorado Denver's undergraduate program has a tuition of roughly the same price. So no stands the question of whether they just pay however much the undergrad costs or whether it's a just a mishap on the application or something else?