GA-PCOM Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yulka212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GA-PCOM Class of 2017!! I am so excited to begin in August 2013! Congratulations to everyone else accepted to this wonderful program. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I received my acceptance in the mail on Saturday. This was my top choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance letter in today. Interviewed 11/9, found out a week later. All to happy cant wait to meet the rest of the team soon.

Congrats to you all.. I just got my interview date, December 17th!! I love the area (played collegiate soccer at Georgia Perimeter for 2 years before returning back to Florida) and couldn't be more excited! Any advice before the big day?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
any advice for people who have a interview at PCOM-GA. What kind of questions did they ask?

I'll be seeing you all in the Fall! I'm very excited about the program.

any advice for people who have a interview at PCOM-GA. What kind of questions did they ask?

Hi guys, I'm interviewing this week and I would love to get some tips/pointers to the interview please :nod:
What kind of questions were asked?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

The interview itself is very laid back, they will have certain questions about your file in terms of "why is your MCAT on the low end, explain why you have a number of transcripts, how do you study, what have you been doing since your submitted your app, and the reasoning for being a doctor". Overall it was like talking to friends.

You start off filling out paperwork, take a photo for your student ID(use if accepted), tour the building, lunch/presentation about rotations, then they take you back 1-3 at a time to interview with 2-3 professors and then your free to go.

They are going to know your file so just be yourself and understand if you made it this far they know you can handle the material and they just need to make sure that your a good fit for PCOMGA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar

Does anyone know how we will be finding roommates and housing options? I know of a few apartments in Suwanee, but have no way of contacting future students about rooming. I think a Facebook group would be pretty useful.

Does anyone know how we will be finding roommates and housing options? I know of a few apartments in Suwanee, but have no way of contacting future students about rooming. I think a Facebook group would be pretty useful.

Have you joined the Facebook group set up by the school?

The interview itself is very laid back, they will have certain questions about your file in terms of "why is your MCAT on the low end, explain why you have a number of transcripts, how do you study, what have you been doing since your submitted your app, and the reasoning for being a doctor". Overall it was like talking to friends.

You start off filling out paperwork, take a photo for your student ID(use if accepted), tour the building, lunch/presentation about rotations, then they take you back 1-3 at a time to interview with 2-3 professors and then your free to go.

They are going to know your file so just be yourself and understand if you made it this far they know you can handle the material and they just need to make sure that your a good fit for PCOMGA

Thanks a lot for the info! :)
Now "The Wait"! ;)

Have you joined the Facebook group set up by the school?

I didn't know there was a Facebook group setup already. I contacted Trena for a link. Thanks for the heads up.

Do you guys find out via email before the mail?

Do you guys find out via email before the mail?

Nope- snail mail only

Going to look at apartments in the area, if anybody has any questions I can maybe answer them after tomorrow and maybe send a picture or two.

What is everybody planning on doing- roommate or no roommate?

Nope- snail mail only

Going to look at apartments in the area, if anybody has any questions I can maybe answer them after tomorrow and maybe send a picture or two.

What is everybody planning on doing- roommate or no roommate?

How long did it take for your guys to get your acceptance letter via mail after the interview?

Is the letter in the mail an acceptance packet or does that come later?

It depends now I guess- I got accepted early in the cycle so mine was just a letter. Recently I have gotten a few pieces of mail but no real "packet" yet.

Can't wait to meet everyone!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how many people check this thread, but I have a question for those starting this semester and those who already attend PCOM-GA.

I'm trying to do a quick cost/benefit analysis of renting an apartment vs. renting a house. As far as the apartment goes, I know Sugarloaf gives a 10% discount. But, there's the possibility of having noisy or otherwise somewhat crazy neighbors. If I were to rent a house, I would attempt to split it with three other students, but then there's the possibility of a crazy landlord. So, anyone have any ideas or helpful input?

I'm not sure how many people check this thread, but I have a question for those starting this semester and those who already attend PCOM-GA.

I'm trying to do a quick cost/benefit analysis of renting an apartment vs. renting a house. As far as the apartment goes, I know Sugarloaf gives a 10% discount. But, there's the possibility of having noisy or otherwise somewhat crazy neighbors. If I were to rent a house, I would attempt to split it with three other students, but then there's the possibility of a crazy landlord. So, anyone have any ideas or helpful input?

Apartment= less to worry about
House= more to worry about

Crazy loud neighbors? Noise canceling headphones for studying and earplugs for sleeping

Problem solved

Apartment= less to worry about
House= more to worry about

Crazy loud neighbors? Noise canceling headphones for studying and earplugs for sleeping

Problem solved

Good quick points. I'll end up going with an apartment, unless a great opportunity arises. I just hope I have good neighbors. I'm a deep sleeper. Put earplugs in my ears and absolutely nothing will wake me up.

Another quick question. The Sugarloaf apartments look really nice. Is it the best deal as far as local apartment complexes are concerned? Any suggestions or advice about local apartments (within 5-10 miles from the school)?

I know people who live in houses and townhouses with roommates and dont have any issues with the landlords. I lived at 5375 Sugarloaf last year in a 1 bdrm and really liked it. It was a bit expensive for my budget but the amenities would make it worth it if you use them. I bury myself at school to study so it wasn't quite worth it for me. Also, it's a gated community which is good for security but sucks when the gate breaks down and won't open.
I moved to Century Riverside and like it just as much. Not as many amenities, but it has a 3 tired pool as well as a separate one by the clubhouse. The gym is really small compared to 5375 as well and no tennis courts. But, it seems that the construction is a bit better here. In both apartments at 5375 I could hear the neighbors above me stomping, talking, having sex, dogs running around. At Century Riverside, I can hear some stomping once in a while but that's about it except for the toilet flushing and shower running. For a two bedroom we pay about $875 and a one bedroom is around $630-$670. I'll be staying here.

There are other places on the other side of the school by Suwanee but I think they cost around $850+ for a one bedroom. I know people who live in all of them and they really like the apts and the amenities. There is a new complex being built by the Home Depot by the school, not sure of the name. They run about the same...around $850+ for a one bedroom.

I know people who live in houses and townhouses with roommates and dont have any issues with the landlords. I lived at 5375 Sugarloaf last year in a 1 bdrm and really liked it. It was a bit expensive for my budget but the amenities would make it worth it if you use them. I bury myself at school to study so it wasn't quite worth it for me. Also, it's a gated community which is good for security but sucks when the gate breaks down and won't open.
I moved to Century Riverside and like it just as much. Not as many amenities, but it has a 3 tired pool as well as a separate one by the clubhouse. The gym is really small compared to 5375 as well and no tennis courts. But, it seems that the construction is a bit better here. In both apartments at 5375 I could hear the neighbors above me stomping, talking, having sex, dogs running around. At Century Riverside, I can hear some stomping once in a while but that's about it except for the toilet flushing and shower running. For a two bedroom we pay about $875 and a one bedroom is around $630-$670. I'll be staying here.

There are other places on the other side of the school by Suwanee but I think they cost around $850+ for a one bedroom. I know people who live in all of them and they really like the apts and the amenities. There is a new complex being built by the Home Depot by the school, not sure of the name. They run about the same...around $850+ for a one bedroom.

Thanks for the information, it's really helpful. I'm glad you have some experience with apartments other than 5375. Riverside looks like a great place to live. I looked it up on google maps and saw that there is a Publix about 15 mins. walking from the apartments.

Did Century Riverside offer a discount to you?

Trying to get some people to weigh in on AMLI at Mcginnis Ferry, Century Sugarload, and the reserve at sugarloaf- anybody had any experience with these places?

Thanks for the information, it's really helpful. I'm glad you have some experience with apartments other than 5375. Riverside looks like a great place to live. I looked it up on google maps and saw that there is a Publix about 15 mins. walking from the apartments.

Did Century Riverside offer a discount to you?

I went and looked at Riverside but when I saw the apartments I was a little less than impressed, not as nice as some of the other places I saw- it just seemed a lot older to me

I went and looked at Riverside but when I saw the apartments I was a little less than impressed, not as nice as some of the other places I saw- it just seemed a lot older to me

Which ones did you get to see? Which ones did you like more?

Century riverside offers a 5 or 10% discount. I'd have to check to be sure. They aren't as nice looking as 5375, or even close to in my opinion, but do the job. 5375 has faux black granite countertops, cherry cabinets, tray ceilings, etc. But, when at class from 8-5 and studying until 1-2am every day at school, the extras really don't matter to me. It's mire about preference...If you like nicer places and can afford it, I'd go with 5375 personally. It's about $200/mo or so more expensive than Century Riverside depending on the apt.

I'll ask around and see if anyone has any input on other apts and post back when I hear something. I know that there is an apartment finder service around here that is free for the apt seeker. They just take the referral fee from the complex. Be careful though, they will list every freaking apt just to make sure they get the fee if you're not specific on what you do and do not want.

Century riverside offers a 5 or 10% discount. I'd have to check to be sure. They aren't as nice looking as 5375, or even close to in my opinion, but do the job. 5375 has faux black granite countertops, cherry cabinets, tray ceilings, etc. But, when at class from 8-5 and studying until 1-2am every day at school, the extras really don't matter to me. It's mire about preference...If you like nicer places and can afford it, I'd go with 5375 personally. It's about $200/mo or so more expensive than Century Riverside depending on the apt.

I'll ask around and see if anyone has any input on other apts and post back when I hear something. I know that there is an apartment finder service around here that is free for the apt seeker. They just take the referral fee from the complex. Be careful though, they will list every freaking apt just to make sure they get the fee if you're not specific on what you do and do not want.

Thank you for the personal views. The $200 difference in monthly rent would make $2400 in a year, which is quite sensible on a student budget.

I'll have my wife and son at school age with me living in the apartment. I'd appreciate if you can also compare these apartment complexes regarding to their security of the neighborhoods and cleanliness (bugs, drains, old equipment, as well as effectiveness of the management and promptness of the technicians, etc.)? I'd also appreciate if you can provide with some photos from the apartments (the commercial ones show both as great places to live.)

In my opinion, if you have a wife and child I would go for 5375 Sugarloaf or maybe AMLI or one of the other complexes off of the McGinnis Ferry Road/Peachtree area. Better security, the set up is more kid friendly, more modern, etc. The maintenance and office staff at 5375 and Century are both great! They both are very friendly and helpful, and respond to repairs incredibly quickly. If you were by yourself I'd say save the money, but having a family makes the extra cash worth it. I can't get pics of 5375 with it being a gated community but from what I remember, the website is pretty close.

Hope this helped a bit

Thank you for the personal views. The $200 difference in monthly rent would make $2400 in a year, which is quite sensible on a student budget.

I'll have my wife and son at school age with me living in the apartment. I'd appreciate if you can also compare these apartment complexes regarding to their security of the neighborhoods and cleanliness (bugs, drains, old equipment, as well as effectiveness of the management and promptness of the technicians, etc.)? I'd also appreciate if you can provide with some photos from the apartments (the commercial ones show both as great places to live.)

Hey everyone.

I'm a new DO student, and I am looking for a roommate to rent out a townhome in the Glencrest subdivion, which is 0.5 miles from school. This townhome has a roommate style floorplan, with 2 large bedrooms upstairs and separate bathrooms. The community has a swimming pool, tennis court, and fitness center. The laundry room already has a washer and a dryer, and I plan to furnish the living room and dining room.

Please message me for more details if you're interested.

Thanks.

4 bedroom 3 bathroom Home for rent 0.7 Miles from GA-PCOM. Only 1 bedroom that I know of so far will be available next year but likely more. All people living in the house are GA-PCOM students. Currently 4 guys live in the house but this can change and we have had a female live in the house with the guys in the past.
About the House:
The location is excellent and the drive to GA-PCOM is traffic free. Located only 0.7 miles from School the house is ideal for students who would rather not spend their time in Metro Atlanta traffic.
Price
- Price ranges between $325-$425/mo depending on the room
- Utilities will be split evenly between all the roommates.

Benefits:
- Individual Leases to GA-PCOM Students only. Meaning if another student decides to move out, there will be no obligation to cover that persons rent.
About the Owner:
I am a GA-PCOM DO 09' grad about to graduate residency at UAB in Birmingham. I grew up in Gwinnett county so I am originally from the area. I bought the home before starting school there and my father manages the house because I now live 3 hours away. My father will be in charge of the yard upkeep and is a real estate agent in the area. He should be available if there is ever an emergency.

Tenants:
We are looking for preferably clean tenants who are willing to take care of the home as if it were their own. Non-smokers only. No pets (small exceptions ok if approved by the other roommates)
Contact info:
Owner Name- Brent Clower
Email- [email protected]
Contact Number- 770-402-1845

If you are concerned about crime as my wife and I were (we're from New Orleans, so the crime rate is always in the back of our minds) check out the Century Pointe apartments on Station Center Blvd. Not a peep. Great amenities (pool/tennis courts/pet accommodation) and beautiful grounds with a Fresh Market around the corner. I will be a second year at GA-PCOM this coming fall. Message me if you would like to take a look at the complex. We would be happy to share the referral reward (yes, there is something in it for me... I do not work for Century Pointe)!

Reactions: 1 user
TIP: visit http://www.promove.com/

It's free. It's in Atlanta. You go inside, tell someone EXACTLY what you are looking for (area, price range, crime, bedrooms, bathrooms) and they print you out a list of apartments that meet that criteria and list them in order so you don't drive all over the place and so you dont have to backtrack.

There are many other options than AMLI or Sugarloaf. My wife and I drove up from Tampa and had a place lined up (The Madison at River Sound in Lawrenceville) in a day because they do the work for you (you just mention that Promove referred you)!

I have a question that i cant seem to find the answer to on this site. Im from DC and i plan on moving out to the area for school but im confused on how the loans work. When i apply and get into an apartment am i suppose to pay out of pocket for the first two months since they don't disburse any money until school starts. They say the best time to move into an apartment is around may or early june because after that the rent increases because its a big time for moving. if anyone can answer this for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah loans don't get disbursed until the beginning of school. What I did was I saved up money over the summer to helpm pay for the move, rent etc. Honestly you need to save a good couple thousand to be safe. I moved in early August. Its expensive to move :) so yeah it may be cheaper rent wise now to move in may or June. But in the end if you are working or living at home I say stay and save that money and then move in end of July or early August. What ever you choose just make up a budget and list the expenses so you can be prepared :) good luck!

thanks for the advice...idk y i was thinking i could just pick a place to live and use part of my loan to pay for it not thinking that i wouldnt get any money till school started but now i know so im gonna c how much i can save and hope i dont end up on a roman noodle every night budget lol....but are you a biomed student or a do student

Hello, my name is Dave Domino, a Ga-PCOM 2010 graduate and general surgery resident in Detroit, MI. My wife and I are renting out our new, spacious 3-BR, 2.5bath townhouse. The place has been awesome for us, offering an ideal setting for studying, building friendships, and easy accessibility to all Atlanta has to offer. Please see info below for further details. I can provide several pictures at your request!

You can contact me on my cell at 404-862-8367 or email, [email protected]. Thanks and look forward to meeting you!
Take care,
Dave

What is for Rent: 3 bedrooms (available starting 8/1/13).

Monthly Rent:
1.) Fully furnished Master BR - (includes private bath) - $525/mo (+ splitting of all utilities 3 ways)
2.) BR #1 - $425/mo (+ splitting of all utilities 3 ways)
3.) BR #2 - $425/mo (+ splitting of all utilities 3 ways)

Amenities:
1.) New, spacious town home with new appliances, kitchenware, etc. (fridge, dishwasher, micro, washer/dryer)
2.) 2-Car Garage (w/garage door opener) and attic for storage.
3.) Spacious living room to relax/study.
4.) Quiet neighborhood - great for studying at home
5.) Outdoor back patio with natural setting - great for studying outside.
6.) Easy accessibility to I-85, Kroger, Publix, Walmart Supercenter, Gold's Gym, Mall of GA, and several running/biking trails of Suwanee
7.) Parking (driveway and garage)
8.) Safe: townhouse is located in a safe, family-oriented cul-de-sac neighborhood - so no through traffic