Gap between sGPA and cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my grades, and some how got a cGPA of 3.82, but my sGPA was a 3.67.. Is this bad? There's a big gap.. it's only my first semester, however, I was expecting them to be around the same. Will this be a red flag?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope! Most people have a lower sGPA. Just try to keep it 3.6+.

Reactions: 1 user
Generally I think you would want both to be over a 3.7 regardless of the gap to increase your odds. This is only your first semester so I am assuming you did better in your humanities courses than your science courses. You still have a long way to go but remember to always try to get mostly A's in the sciences and if you are majoring in the sciences then the course load of sciences will increase as the years go by. Just be aware of that because things will get harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally I think you would want both to be over a 3.7 regardless of the gap to increase your odds. This is only your first semester so I am assuming you did better in your humanities courses than your science courses. You still have a long way to go but remember to always try to get mostly A's in the sciences and if you are majoring in the sciences then the course load of sciences will increase as the years go by. Just be aware of that because things will get harder.

I'm in a state school, transferring to a larger University, so it may drop. However, I feel the grades should be around the same range. Yeah you're right, they get harder.

You have a .15 difference between the two. It's not THAT big of a gap and is fairly common. You should begin to worry when there's a .4 difference or higher

Take some winter and/or summer courses if you want to boost your sGPA.

Reactions: 1 users
It's time to stop posting.

Reactions: 3 users
latest

Nope. and Nope.

Invest in MSAR Online and take a look at median sGPAs and cGPAs for different school.

Nationally, it's 3.7 for both.

I got my grades, and some how got a cGPA of 3.82, but my sGPA was a 3.67.. Is this bad? There's a big gap.. it's only my first semester, however, I was expecting them to be around the same. Will this be a red flag?

I have a c of 3.60, a s of 3.77. I still got accepted. You're fine.

I think I had a 3.04 cumulative and a 3.4 science, and I'm currently an M2. Stressing over numbers this early on is only going to wear you out. Take each class as it comes, do your best to get the highest marks you can, and enjoy yourself. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I had a 3.04 cumulative and a 3.4 science, and I'm currently an M2. Stressing over numbers this early on is only going to wear you out. Take each class as it comes, do your best to get the highest marks you can, and enjoy yourself. :)
I tend to worry over small things which is a bad thing to a certain extent. I have to work on that.

I tend to worry over small things which is a bad thing to a certain extent. I have to work on that.

This is not even a small thing, it's nothing. You've done one semester. You aren't even a "pre-med" yet.

If I understand this correctly, there is a .15 difference between your GPAs (which are both above 3.6).

Huge red flag. Time to cop some sunscreen and start looking at Caribbean schools.

...it's your first semester, c'mon man! (Cris Carter voice)

I have a somewhat relevant question: Do adcoms pay more attention to the sGPA than the cGPA? My sGPA (3.94) is greater than my cGPA (3.84) due to me being in a competitive history program. Asking in case I reapply this next upcoming cycle.

Not a big diff. You're fine.

As a freshman, you still have 7 semesters to fix it. So you're fine. Just fix your study habits.

I have a somewhat relevant question: Do adcoms pay more attention to the sGPA than the cGPA? My sGPA (3.94) is greater than my cGPA (3.84) due to me being in a competitive history program. Asking in case I reapply this next upcoming cycle.

Pretty sure you're killing it this cycle (congrats), but to answer your question: "above 3.8" in your case for both sGPA and cGPA so you're fine...

Pretty sure you're killing it this cycle (congrats), but to answer your question: "above 3.8" in your case for both sGPA and cGPA so you're fine...

We'll see what happens.

As a freshman, you still have 7 semesters to fix it. So you're fine. Just fix your study habits.
I know the system now. It was tough at beginning, so I took a light semester. I'm bumping it up to 16 credits now. I'm also transferring to a larger university so I can have more variety of science courses.

Does the uGPA include the science courses in the sGPA or not? Or does it differ from MD to DO?

Does the uGPA include the science courses in the sGPA or not? Or does it differ from MD to DO?
uGPA is all undergraduate course work which includes sciences. It doesn't differ from MD to DO.