Gap year before dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhudez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

To start off, I'm new on SDN and this is my first post. Currently, I am a psychology major on the pre dental track with a 3.5 overall GPA and about 70 hours of shadowing under my belt. So a little background info before we get started. When I was a senior in HS I dual enrolled at a local cc near my house, so I came into college with 25 credits. So right now I should be a sophomore, but credit wise I am a junior (I have 60 credits). Currently, I am taking CHEM1212 in the 2nd summer session and I took a PSYC class in the first summer session. As I said before, my overall GPA is currently 3.5, but my science GPA took a hit after this spring semester. I got Cs in Chem 1211 and Bio 1107. But I did well in the labs. I'm doing good in 1212 right now, I currently have a high B and I'm hoping to raise it to an A. So originally I was planning on taking the DAT May 2017 and applying to dental school that summer. But I realized by then I will have only finished Bio 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2, and Ochem 1 and 2. I would still have to take microbiology, biochemistry, and physics 1 and 2. On top of that, in my senior year I am planning on doing an internship and getting some more research under my belt. So I feel like if applied the summer before my senior year, my application would be somewhat weak with nothing impressive on it. On top of that, my science gpa will not be as high as it would be if i wait and apply after I finish my remaining science classes. So the first question is, should I go ahead and apply the summer before my senior year? Or should I wait and apply once I graduate?

If I did wait and apply after I graduate. This would mean I would have a gap year. Now the next question is, what should I do during this time? Should I enroll in a Masters program or should I try and find a job as a research assistant or something of that nature?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

whats your science gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
whats your science gpa?
Science GPA (Counting all science and math classes taken): 2.89. I know this is extremely low, but I still have a good amount of science classes that I still havent taken. So I am expecting to raise this to about 3.4/3.5 by the time I graduate.

Science GPA (Counting all science and math classes taken): 2.89. I know this is extremely low, but I still have a good amount of science classes that I still havent taken. So I am expecting to raise this to about 3.4/3.5 by the time I graduate.

if you can get it to +3.3, still have your cumulative at 3.5+ and have 19+ DAT, I wouldn't bother with masters. Just do volunteering, sprinkle some shadowing hours. Mostly just enjoy your self and travel. Have new experiences.

You really need to get your sci GPA though. Continue to work hard.

if you can get it to +3.3, still have your cumulative at 3.5+ and have 19+ DAT, I wouldn't bother with masters. Just do volunteering, sprinkle some shadowing hours. Mostly just enjoy your self and travel. Have new experiences.

You really need to get your sci GPA though. Continue to work hard.
Oh yeah, I'm sure I will get my sci GPA above 3.3. I want to go to Augusta Univeristy (Formerly known as GRU) in Georgia. I will have strong LORs from well known dentists. One of them will be from a well known dentist who was on the admissions board for 30 years Do you think having a LOR from him will give me a slight advantage?

Oh yeah, I'm sure I will get my sci GPA above 3.3. I want to go to Augusta Univeristy (Formerly known as GRU) in Georgia. I will have strong LORs from well known dentists. One of them will be from a well known dentist who was on the admissions board for 30 years Do you think having a LOR from him will give me a slight advantage?

whatever helps