Gap year - clinically relevant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked my advisor about gap year opportunities, and he said that the only way a gap year job can help your application is if it's clinically/medically relevant. I told him I was interested in AmeriCorps, and he said that it would make me look like a humanitarian, but not necessarily help with my medical school apps.

What does SDN think? Does a gap year job need to be medically related?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Agreed. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this in every one of my posts, but I'm in an AmeriCorps program now and love talking about it, especially during interviews (I work in an inner-city high school). It's not at all clinically relevant, but I'm positive it has helped me be as successful as I've been this cycle (dream school acceptance, still can't believe it!). Also, I absolutely love what I'm doing, which is more than most of my other gap year comrades can say.

Additionally, there are health-related programs (such as HealthCorps) that you can look into as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked my advisor about gap year opportunities, and he said that the only way a gap year job can help your application is if it's clinically/medically relevant. I told him I was interested in AmeriCorps, and he said that it would me look like a great humanitarian, but not necessarily help with my medical school apps.

What does SDN think? Does a gap year job need to be medically related?
Med schools are looking for humanitarians. Anything you do through Americorps will benefit a med school application IMO. Of course, to include it on your Primary, you need to have started the experience before applying, so it will be appreciated by every school you apply to (since some schools don't have pertinent Secondary prompts or allow update letters).

Your advisor doesn't know what he's talking about.

Thanks for the response everyone.

If my gap year job is not medically related, should I try to keep up with clinical volunteering? I'll have 200-250 hours by the time I apply

If my gap year job is not medically related, should I try to keep up with clinical volunteering? I'll have 200-250 hours by the time I apply
Are you positive you'll get an acceptance in one cycle? Do you have zero interest in continuing any pertinent medically-related activities for the sake of Secondary essays, interview conversations, or future update letters (where allowed)? Most would answer "No" to both questions, in which case they'd want to engage in something related to medicine. Maybe not the same things, maybe not as often, but something.

Are you positive you'll get an acceptance in one cycle? Do you have zero interest in continuing any pertinent medically-related activities for the sake of Secondary essays, interview conversations, or future update letters (where allowed)? Most would answer "No" to both questions, in which case they'd want to engage in something related to medicine. Maybe not the same things, maybe not as often, but something.
Great advice! Thanks!