Gap Year Employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysioChick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently graduated with my BS in biology and I will hopefully (fingers crossed!) be attending podiatry school august 2015. I have A LOT if expenses that need to be taken care of before i go, such as costs associated with the application process and setting up a place to live in the city where i will attend school, along with medical bills and general living expenses. I'm sure many others have been in a situation similar to mine and I'm curious to know what type of work you did before you matriculated? If your major was biology, did you have any trouble finding a job? I've done some research around the forums but haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for, so hopefully someone here can give me a better answer to my question.

Members don't see this ad.

I worked in a biochemistry department as a laboratory technician doing molecular research, and that was both fun, paid fairly well, and actually helped me out in school with the topics relevant to the research. One tip is that if you apply for this sort of job in departments that seem more boring, e.g. basic sciences like biochemistry, I think you get more responses since what students view as more "exciting" usually have a ton more applicants (and you usually get to do less in those labs anyway). Also, some people shy away from mouse research, but I'd highly recommend it as you may learn quite a lot (I don't know if other animals are as cool to work with as mice, however).

Veterinary assistance or front desk work is also a quick, temporary, and okay-paying option that doesn't require anything but OJT in some states. I actually would have made more in cash as a vet tech than in the research lab after finishing college, but the state benefits and not having to wrangle dogs well made up for the difference.

I know someone who made an obscene amount of money selling pest control plans door-to-door on commission for a few months, as well, but I don't think that usually pays that great.

To land a job quickly you'll probably want to treat the job search and application process like a full-time job itself. Hope you find something that works for you!

I worked in a biochemistry department as a laboratory technician doing molecular research, and that was both fun, paid fairly well, and actually helped me out in school with the topics relevant to the research. One tip is that if you apply for this sort of job in departments that seem more boring, e.g. basic sciences like biochemistry, I think you get more responses since what students view as more "exciting" usually have a ton more applicants (and you usually get to do less in those labs anyway). Also, some people shy away from mouse research, but I'd highly recommend it as you may learn quite a lot (I don't know if other animals are as cool to work with as mice, however).

Veterinary assistance or front desk work is also a quick, temporary, and okay-paying option that doesn't require anything but OJT in some states. I actually would have made more in cash as a vet tech than in the research lab after finishing college, but the state benefits and not having to wrangle dogs well made up for the difference.

I know someone who made an obscene amount of money selling pest control plans door-to-door on commission for a few months, as well, but I don't think that usually pays that great.

To land a job quickly you'll probably want to treat the job search and application process like a full-time job itself. Hope you find something that works for you!

The vet tech thing is a great idea since I LOVE animals. I'll also look more into lab positions. Thanks for your help :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be in a similar situation but have more of a gap semester where I will make money to settle debts, take a good vacation before Pod school, etc.

I'm going to looking into several bio sales rep type positions or maybe research lab type jobs but I have a B.A. I Biology and don't know if they'll look down on it.

If I can't find anything I'm going to probably just find an insurance agent job (I have my license) because it's about 3k a month and pretty easy work/flexibility.

I'm going to be in a similar situation but have more of a gap semester where I will make money to settle debts, take a good vacation before Pod school, etc.

I'm going to looking into several bio sales rep type positions or maybe research lab type jobs but I have a B.A. I Biology and don't know if they'll look down on it.

If I can't find anything I'm going to probably just find an insurance agent job (I have my license) because it's about 3k a month and pretty easy work/flexibility.

Yeah I definitely also would like to travel before I'd start school. And that's smart of you to have the liscence to fall back on! I wish I would've thought of that

Do whatever will make you the most money in the interim. Simple as that. If you can afford to take a "life trip," do it.