Gap Year Ideas - Reapplying (33, 3.7)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks so much guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the same boat as you actually, similar MCAT/GPA and applied laate. APPLY EARLY next cycle! As for gap year ideas, I'd say find something that's meaningful to you since you're pretty much golden in every other aspect. You could be working as a lab assistant, teaching kids, or just picking up a job close to home to save some money for future studies/cherish family time. Good luck!

How is your personal statement? You have a lot of things going for you but if your PS is just a rehash of all of this, that can really turn off a lot of schools. And applying early (within the first month of the app opening) is absolutely crucial!

As for a gap year, the most important thing you can do is something you enjoy. Remember, by time your app needs to be submitted in the summer and then hopefully grab some interviews in fall, you won't have been doing whatever it is for very long. So instead of trying to impress someone, do something you'd like to do and something that's easy to talk about. That way, when they ask you what you're doing this year, you can speak passionately about it. You have a great diversity in ECs, so it doesn't seem like you're lacking. But I will say that it sounds like you did a lot of little things versus keeping with something for a long time. So find something you can stick with and learn from. That's what I did and it was definitely worth it!

Members don't see this ad :)
How is your personal statement? You have a lot of things going for you but if your PS is just a rehash of all of this, that can really turn off a lot of schools. And applying early (within the first month of the app opening) is absolutely crucial!

As for a gap year, the most important thing you can do is something you enjoy. Remember, by time your app needs to be submitted in the summer and then hopefully grab some interviews in fall, you won't have been doing whatever it is for very long. So instead of trying to impress someone, do something you'd like to do and something that's easy to talk about. That way, when they ask you what you're doing this year, you can speak passionately about it. You have a great diversity in ECs, so it doesn't seem like you're lacking. But I will say that it sounds like you did a lot of little things versus keeping with something for a long time. So find something you can stick with and learn from. That's what I did and it was definitely worth it!

What do you mean a rehash? A rehash of what? Your old ps/activities?

I noticed you have an LOR from a doctor whom you shadowed. While this letter is likely a strong one that says much about your character, passion and leadership, do not send it when you reapply. Most advisers recommend avoiding LORs from shadowed doctors, if and when possible. These doctors have exceptionally little insight as to how you have performed in the classroom minus what you have told them. The strongest letters have always been said to come from those whom have acted as your instructor in a BCPM course or conducted research alongside you. The only exception to this may be shadowing a doctor who has also taught you material in a formal, academic setting. Otherwise, I would toss it for your sake.

**unless a letter from a doctor is required by the school in which case, definitely keep it! Schools want to see that you have had credible experience in the medical field and that other doctors think you're fit to become a physician as well. Other than that requirement though, I agree that it's probably not going to be your strongest letter unless you have had more than just shadowing experience!

Live life! Travel, be a more we'll rounded person. They like seeing students live in the real world for a little bit. Of course mix in research shadowing and clinic stuff--but build and grow who you are.

Good point!

I would also recommend not using that letter. One exception: if the doctor you shadowed thinks his letter about you is so great and has specific anecdotes to back up any statements he/she makes about your character... so strong even despite his/acknowledgement of the commonly perceived notion that someone you shadow has limited insight... then you should consider using it.

Instead of thinking about what you think an admissions committee might want, think about what YOU want to do (among the options you have that will help you grow and become a better medical student and ultimately, a better physician). You'll be better at it, you'll get more out of it, you'll be happier, and it'll show when you hopefully interview next cycle. This may consist of thinking about where you want to be in 15 years, 25 years.

Apply 6/1/16 and apply broadly. How many schools did you apply to? And to which?

We need to know more about your application from this past cycle to give the best advice. Did you get multiple interviews or did you get completely shut out? Because if you got completely shut out there's a definitely a chance there's something off with your application. Maybe its a complete lack of clinical experience. Maybe it's a poor recommendation letter. Maybe it's an issue with how you wrote your primary and secondary essays. Maybe you applied way too heavy or didn't apply to enough schools. The best thing you can do if you got shut out from getting interviews is to go through your application with someone(beyond just SDN--ie your school's pre med advisor). Ask them what they think your weaknesses are and to help evaluate your application and what you did in the past to try to identify mistakes. Because when someone with a 3.7/33 who doesn't get ANY interviews, there's a definitely a chance they are doing something wrong. It might be as simple as re-doing your schools to apply to list but figure that out before trying to figure out what to do during a gap year to boost your app.

Now......if you received interviews the best thing you can do is to specifically call the schools you received interviews at and ask them how you could improve your application/what was lacking. Tons of people on SDN have done this and you'll hear all kinds of stories about this. Many find these schools to not really tell them anything or even respond to their calls. But there are many who also do this and get legitimate advice on what to improve/what they did wrong. Keep in mind if they say ANYTHING specific, there is a reason they said it and really use it as your best guide for improvement. What they say is far better than anything people on SDN can tell you to improve.

Now, to answer your question, again it depends on your application and your prior EC's? Lacking research experience? Work on that. No clinical experience? Apply to jobs as a clinical research coordinator, nursing assistant amongst a variety of other hospital positions and of course volunteer. While there are many valid things you can do in your year off outside of research/clinical experience, those are definitely two areas you can work on and really see a boost in your application chances if you don't have alot in either area as of now. Keep in mind if you are applying this cycle again then what you do in your year off after you apply won't in all likelihood really help you for this cycle coming up. If you really want to improve your application before applying, wait until next cycle before applying. Good luck

I noticed you have an LOR from a doctor whom you shadowed. While this letter is likely a strong one that says much about your character, passion and leadership, do not send it when you reapply. Most advisers recommend avoiding LORs from shadowed doctors, if and when possible. These doctors have exceptionally little insight as to how you have performed in the classroom minus what you have told them. The strongest letters have always been said to come from those whom have acted as your instructor in a BCPM course or conducted research alongside you. The only exception to this may be shadowing a doctor who has also taught you material in a formal, academic setting. Otherwise, I would toss it for your sake.

DO schools all require letters from physicians. If one can get a letter from a doctor from a hospital you volunteer or work at that would be better than one from a shadowing experience. The best letters come from those that can evaluate your work ethic (it can even be in a job, not just academically).