This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hk490xv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Options:
1. Be honest and hope for the best but expect no love unfortunately.
2. Stretch the truth - say you can offer 1-2 year commitment but leaning more towards one.
3. Lie - say you're down for two year commitment, and leave early and potentially burn some bridges.

We are in the same boat and it sucks! Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
N=1 here but I was 100% transparent with the fact that I would be applying and I still landed a coordinator position at a leading clinical research company (private and for profit) that I absolutely love. So maybe look outside of just academic. I'm not getting any pubs but I make a decent amount more than what I set my sights on and leaving for interviews is a breeze, just take paid time off. Making a few hundred bucks while you're up at XYZ Medical School schmoozing is a very nice feeling. In either case what should be important to you is the patient interactions, and to be honest I think a private company allows you even more of those whereas at academic places you might spend most of your time mining data. That's a gross oversimplification and it will vary by company/institution but the gist of this is you should broaden your search and hold onto your integrity. Sell yourself well and emphasize how hard this process is. There is no guarantee you'll get in, in fact the chips are stacked against you, and the clinical research is something you really want to do and will give your full effort to for as long as you have the opportunity etc etc etc you know the drill. PM me if you'd like otherwise good luck to you

What is this strange magic you speak of? Enlighten me with your infinite wisdom and superior moral compass, o great one.
It seems like you're fishing for validation in not being completely honest with your prospective employers. I made an appeal to your sense of integrity, but you got butthurt apparently.
Do the honest and morally correct thing, not the most advantageous thing. That should answer your question.

I'm looking for straightforward advice from people who might have had to deal with a similar situation before, not for self-important, one-word replies chastising my morality. Get off your high horse and roll down in the dirt with us dishonest plebeians who can't afford to refill our prescriptions because our Obamacare-provided health insurance has lapsed due to inability to pay. But you're right, trying to get a job that will fulfill basic human needs is far too 'advantageous'.

Ah yes, the false dichotomy...
One can be either honest or employed but never both, according to 'finikpalma'.

I have dealt with the same situation, and yet stayed honest. I suggest you do the same.
Morality isn't a luxury as you imply.

I would be applying and I still landed a coordinator position at a leading clinical research company
3ce10.jpg
ht11.jpg

dh.jpg

Last edited:
N=1 here but I was 100% transparent with the fact that I would be applying and I still landed a coordinator position at a leading clinical research company (private and for profit) that I absolutely love. So maybe look outside of just academic. I'm not getting any pubs but I make a decent amount more than what I set my sights on and leaving for interviews is a breeze, just take paid time off. Making a few hundred bucks while you're up at XYZ Medical School schmoozing is a very nice feeling. In either case what should be important to you is the patient interactions, and to be honest I think a private company allows you even more of those whereas at academic places you might spend most of your time mining data. That's a gross oversimplification and it will vary by company/institution but the gist of this is you should broaden your search and hold onto your integrity. Sell yourself well and emphasize how hard this process is. There is no guarantee you'll get in, in fact the chips are stacked against you, and the clinical research is something you really want to do and will give your full effort to for as long as you have the opportunity etc etc etc you know the drill. PM me if you'd like otherwise good luck to you

I am also looking for a gap year job (preferably Clinical Research Assistant), while also being honest about application process, and I am really unsure about when exactly should I apply for the job. When exactly did you apply? Months in advance or soon after the jobs were posted online? I am senior and would really want a job security by the time I graduate in May. Any input is welcomed! Thanks!

I am also looking for a gap year job (preferably Clinical Research Assistant), while also being honest about application process, and I am really unsure about when exactly should I apply for the job. When exactly did you apply? Months in advance or soon after the jobs were posted online? I am senior and would really want a job security by the time I graduate in May. Any input is welcomed! Thanks!

For this particular job I believe I applied in late march and accepted a position in late april after 3 rounds of interviewing with various member's of the company. This company seemed to like posting positions as they opened (not much planning in advance) and filling them as quickly as possible. So at this company or any that operates similarly in regards to hiring, the positions that you would see posted right now would not work for you (as they need it filled now) whereas any that would work with your timeline will not be posted for many months. My best advice in that regard then would be to reach out to HR and several companies with a resume and explaining your intentions and timelines and see if they would be open to contacting you with future openings, or possibly getting the ball rolling on any openings if they do have some farther out that they are planning for.

Other programs/companies may operate differently. If you apply for clinical research through NIH, they tell you to apply about 6 months before you want to start, so now would be a good time to do that. For more academic labs they may also have a similar setup due to how grant funding works. In any case, you'd want to start reaching out to people to get these questions answered instead of just speculating. Never hurts, and you may discover new leads to chase down in the process.

For this particular job I believe I applied in late march and accepted a position in late april after 3 rounds of interviewing with various member's of the company. This company seemed to like posting positions as they opened (not much planning in advance) and filling them as quickly as possible. So at this company or any that operates similarly in regards to hiring, the positions that you would see posted right now would not work for you (as they need it filled now) whereas any that would work with your timeline will not be posted for many months. My best advice in that regard then would be to reach out to HR and several companies with a resume and explaining your intentions and timelines and see if they would be open to contacting you with future openings, or possibly getting the ball rolling on any openings if they do have some farther out that they are planning for.

Other programs/companies may operate differently. If you apply for clinical research through NIH, they tell you to apply about 6 months before you want to start, so now would be a good time to do that. For more academic labs they may also have a similar setup due to how grant funding works. In any case, you'd want to start reaching out to people to get these questions answered instead of just speculating. Never hurts, and you may discover new leads to chase down in the process.

Thanks. Most research programs that I have came across (searched for them on Indeed.com and Monster.com) are mostly oriented towards academic labs, and therefore I believe it would be best to reach out to HR for available/future job openings. I will definitely research more into private companies if they have openings for CRA/CRC, (I was completely unaware about that until I read your previous post!) Thanks again!

Thanks. Most research programs that I have came across (searched for them on Indeed.com and Monster.com) are mostly oriented towards academic labs, and therefore I believe it would be best to reach out to HR for available/future job openings. I will definitely research more into private companies if they have openings for CRA/CRC, (I was completely unaware about that until I read your previous post!) Thanks again!

Yeah my experience with the company was great, had generous paid vacation, full healthcare and benefits, and a very long leash as far as what I was allowed to do. And being a part of a site network company meant I got to travel to other sites around the southeast to help out with other trials within the company so that was always fun. Lots of other benefits and perks as well.

Of course, the trade off is you aren't gonna get any pubs. So you'd have to weigh that if it's something you're shooting for.

Yeah my experience with the company was great, had generous paid vacation, full healthcare and benefits, and a very long leash as far as what I was allowed to do. And being a part of a site network company meant I got to travel to other sites around the southeast to help out with other trials within the company so that was always fun. Lots of other benefits and perks as well.

Of course, the trade off is you aren't gonna get any pubs. So you'd have to weigh that if it's something you're shooting for.

Although it seems a little challenging at first to land a job in private just for a year, I definitely find the financial aspect more lucrative. Thanks!

You should apply as early as possible and as broadly as possible. Especially if you're looking for a one-year position.

Please also be aware that many academic research lab jobs listed through HR may be low-yielding because labor laws dictate that PIs have to list full-time positions even if the PI already has somebody in mind to fill that role (perhaps somebody who has already worked in that lab before and thus has the most relevant experience).

You should apply as early as possible and as broadly as possible. Especially if you're looking for a one-year position.

Please also be aware that many academic research lab jobs listed through HR may be low-yielding because labor laws dictate that PIs have to list full-time positions even if the PI already has somebody in mind to fill that role (perhaps somebody who has already worked in that lab before and thus has the most relevant experience).

I agree. Along those lines, my advisor suggested to inquire with PI if he has sources and could vouch for some external academic lab. Definitely taking this route as well. Thanks!