Gap Year Opinions, Experience, and Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opinion on Gap Year

• Took one and don't regret it

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • Took one and regret it

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Didn't take one and don't regret it

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Didn't take one and regret it

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Plan on taking one

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Don't plan on taking one

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters

chillinillinkillin007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are several threads previous on this topic but I want to hear from current posters and learn more about some of your experiences and opinions during gap years. Why you took it, if you regretted it, recommend it, etc. Also, if you didn't take one why not?

I plan on taking 1-2 gap years for personal preference but when I told people they viewed it is a negative thing suggesting my application isn't strong enough. I'm not going to listen to them obviously but it somewhat ticks me off that those people are applying with weaker applications and they think they are better than me. I know I shouldn't think like that but i can't help to feel as if i'm falling behind by taking these gap years.

So, to people who took gap years, do you feel as if you were better adjusted for medical school compared to individuals who went straight into medical school? What portions of students would you say took time off? much thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of students at my school took gap years. I have no idea how many, and as far as I can tell it is not something anyone cares about once you're in med school.

As an economics major, I tend to look at the opportunity cost of the gap years you speak of. The pre-doctor road is already long enough, I won't lengthen it if I don't have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on graduating early, so I have also been considering a gap year. I would personally not take one unless I needed to improve my ECs or bump up MCAT score.

I'm a nontrad, so I have a slightly different perspective on it, I guess. I'll be starting medical school next month in my late twenties.

First, though, anyone telling you medical schools view gap years negatively doesn't know what they're talking about. The majority of first year medical students at the top research schools have taken at least one gap year. It's very obvious at the interview days that seniors in college are a decreasing minority. If those schools don't look down on it, who is?

I haven't met a person yet who regretted their gap year or years. I sure as hell have met people who regret not taking one, though. Food for thought.

As for myself, if I were redoing my life I would have taken 2-3 gap years instead of the longer gap necessitated by not being a premed during undergrad and having to do a post-bacc. But I absolutely would still have taken a break to work after college, not gone straight through.

Reactions: 2 users
At least half my class took one or more gap years. It absolutely won't be viewed negatively if you're doing something productive.

I took 2 years and don't regret it a bit.

Taking a gap year doesn't mean your application is weak. My application did not change in any meaningful way from my two years off I took. I'd do it every time though, whether that was working, doing a masters degree, researching, or something unusual like backpacking through Europe or working at a nonprofit in Cameroon. It's just good to challenge yourself with new experiences that you won't have time or opportunity for when you're in medical school. My gap has better prepared and clarified my reasons for starting medical school, and also given me the time to better understand what I want to get out of medical school instead of still sampling around and trying to figure things out while I'm doing the real deal.

To be honest I wish I would take another year off to pursue some of my plans but I'm too much of a sissy to commit and defer.

Reactions: 1 users
Even though I know I need a gap year, I hate how I won't start medical school as early as possible.

Even though I know I need a gap year, I hate how I won't start medical school as early as possible.

I feel ya. Similar impatience over here, especially with several friends from undergrad starting med school this year. In the long run, though, I think having a year off will reduce risk of burnout later.

I don't know.. 5 years of being a premed sounds worse than 4 years of being one lol.

When you aren't in college being a 'premed' doesn't mean the same thing. For one thing, the amount of time you interact with other premeds goes down drastically.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going into my senior year and will be looking for a part-time job that I can turn into a full-time job during my gap year. When I'm applying, should I tell them that I plan on applying to medical school during the year that I'll be working full time? Would most people be ok with that? I can see how they'd be reluctant to hire someone who's only gonna be there for 1 year part time and 1 year full time..

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going into my senior year and will be looking for a part-time job that I can turn into a full-time job during my gap year. When I'm applying, should I tell them that I plan on applying to medical school during the year that I'll be working full time? Would most people be ok with that? I can see how they'd be reluctant to hire someone who's only gonna be there for 1 year part time and 1 year full time..

IMO, you don't need to tell them anything up front - definitely not when interviewing for the job. Practically speaking, you don't know what will happen - i.e. you end up wanting (or needing) an additional gap year.

What kind of job are you looking for? That will affect how open you'll want to be with your employer.

IMO, you don't need to tell them anything up front - definitely not when interviewing for the job. Practically speaking, you don't know what will happen - i.e. you end up wanting (or needing) an additional gap year.

What kind of job are you looking for? That will affect how open you'll want to be with your employer.

I'm waiting to hear back from 2 scribe companies, but will also look into becoming a Medical Assistant, preferably at a private office. I don't have any certifications and it might be too late now to get 1. Mostly looking for more clinical experience

As an economics major, I tend to look at the opportunity cost of the gap years you speak of. The pre-doctor road is already long enough, I won't lengthen it if I don't have to.

Except that:

1. The "pre-doctor road" isn't uniform and often doesn't exist for some applicants (nontrads etc.)

2. It's pretty much confirmed that the benefits of gap years far outweigh the costs, hence more schools are favoring applicants who took few gap years and gained real world experience

Taking a gap year doesn't mean your application is weak. My application did not change in any meaningful way from my two years off I took. I'd do it every time though, whether that was working, doing a masters degree, researching, or something unusual like backpacking through Europe or working at a nonprofit in Cameroon. It's just good to challenge yourself with new experiences that you won't have time or opportunity for when you're in medical school. My gap has better prepared and clarified my reasons for starting medical school, and also given me the time to better understand what I want to get out of medical school instead of still sampling around and trying to figure things out while I'm doing the real deal.

To be honest I wish I would take another year off to pursue some of my plans but I'm too much of a sissy to commit and defer.

Same here... I really liked taking a gap year, and especially after studying non-stop for over 20 years, I wanted to take a break (and make some money). I got to do some things during my gap year that I wouldn't trade for going to med school a year earlier, and on top of that, I got to brush up on my Spanish and Italian.

I also kind of want to take another gap year (maybe it's because I'm a little bit nervous to go back to studying :D), but I'm not sure how my school would handle this, plus I don't really have a concrete plan for the year anyway.

I don't know.. 5 years of being a premed sounds worse than 4 years of being one lol.

Your life is not defined by premed vs not premed :p This is just one phase of many, there'll always be some other "bar" to cross.

I graduated in 2012 and am applying for 2015 matriculation - so 3 gap years. I don't regret it. Initially, I wanted to get my PhD, but decided to pursue MD instead. I've been able to take my time gathering clinical and nonclinical experiences, pursuing my own interests, and working full-time around people who aren't my peers. I'm more mature than I was during college. I have a better idea of who I am as a person and also want I want from my life.

I'm currently taking a gap year after graduating from WUSTL this past May. I love my work as an ER scribe, both on busier days and slower ones (like today when I actually have time to check the forums and post comments lol). If I get accepted to medical school this year, I will matriculate no matter where I end up. However, I wouldn't mind being a scribe for another year if I don't get in anywhere this year. I plan on becoming a trainer scribe later this year, which will strenghten my application (for next cycle if needed) by adding leadership and teaching experience. I'll also add update letters to all the schools I applied to this cycle that allow them. I've never met anyone who regretting taking a gap year or two (or more). In fact, the most mature and interesting individuals (both scribes and doctors) are the ones that took gap years or were completely non-traditional.

I took a few gap years to do full time research and loved every minute of it. My resume got several impressive lines as a result of my work, I took a great vacation from organized academics such that I am ready and eager to jump back in, and I've had time to enjoy a few years in Boston as a 20-something. I also picked up an art skill :)

Except that:

1. The "pre-doctor road" isn't uniform and often doesn't exist for some applicants (nontrads etc.)

2. It's pretty much confirmed that the benefits of gap years far outweigh the costs, hence more schools are favoring applicants who took few gap years and gained real world experience

The years required from the road are uniform for everyone:

4 years of rigorous medical school, accompanied by 3-7 years of residency training and a possibility of 3 years of fellowship.

What you choose to do before you begin that road is up to you, obviously, but I won't delay that if I don't have to. Because I look at the lost revenue of that year or so.

The years required from the road are uniform for everyone:

4 years of rigorous medical school, accompanied by 3-7 years of residency training and a possibility of 3 years of fellowship.

What you choose to do before you begin that road is up to you, obviously, but I won't delay that if I don't have to. Because I look at the lost revenue of that year or so.

Let me ask you this. How much is a year of your youth cost to you, especially when your older. I'd rather work a few extra years and actually have fun while I'm young than potentially retired early and be an old fart playing golf by myself

Reactions: 1 users
I'm more mature than I was during college.

This here. I don't think it's a reason to take a gap year, but I see a difference (sometime large) between some of my classmates who took time to do other things and those who have been in school for 16+ years now. I attribute some of the maturity and added professionalism to getting out of the academic bubble and having to deal with "real" life (aka not school).

Benefits of my 3 years in industry: adding a job, a patent, and a poster to the CV, starting an IRA/401k, being financially independent and getting to try out some fun new hobbies, learning how to deal with things that you don't like yet still have to do to be a professional.

Let me ask you this. How much is a year of your youth cost to you, especially when your older. I'd rather work a few extra years and actually have fun while I'm young than potentially retired early and be an old fart playing golf by myself

That's reasonable. However I'd find out if I were accepted anywhere by Oct of my senior year, and I'd have from that time to the beginning of medical school enjoy. I'd let my senior year academics slip down to like 3.3ish (which would require just moderate studying) and I'd do some backpacking in that summer. I don't feel the need for a gap year. I suppose the way my application looks will determine if I take one.

That's reasonable. However I'd find out if I were accepted anywhere by Oct of my senior year, and I'd have from that time to the beginning of medical school enjoy. I'd let my senior year academics slip down to like 3.3ish (which would require just moderate studying) and I'd do some backpacking in that summer. I don't feel the need for a gap year. I suppose the way my application looks will determine if I take one.

Why are you assuming that you'd be accepted in Oct? Very few people are accepted in October in the application year. There are people who just got their first acceptances of the cycle off waitlists last week.

Why are you assuming that you'd be accepted in Oct? Very few people are accepted in October in the application year. There are people who just got their first acceptances of the cycle off waitlists last week.
October at the latest

October at the latest

That doesn't make any sense.

If you apply the summer between junior and senior years, the earliest you can be accepted is October 15th your senior year. The latest is right before a school's orientation starts, and they all start in July or August (after you've graduated). It is possible (and relatively common) for applicants to not know if they're going to go to medical school that year until May or June before the August they start, since May and June are when the bulk of waitlist movement happens.

That doesn't make any sense.

If you apply the summer between junior and senior years, the earliest you can be accepted is October 15th your senior year. The latest is right before a school's orientation starts, and they all start in July or August (after you've graduated). It is possible (and relatively common) for applicants to not know if they're going to go to medical school that year until May or June before the August they start, since May and June are when the bulk of waitlist movement happens.
Oh, now I gotcha.. Thanks

I'm currently taking a gap year after graduating from WUSTL this past May. I love my work as an ER scribe, both on busier days and slower ones (like today when I actually have time to check the forums and post comments lol). If I get accepted to medical school this year, I will matriculate no matter where I end up. However, I wouldn't mind being a scribe for another year if I don't get in anywhere this year. I plan on becoming a trainer scribe later this year, which will strenghten my application (for next cycle if needed) by adding leadership and teaching experience. I'll also add update letters to all the schools I applied to this cycle that allow them. I've never met anyone who regretting taking a gap year or two (or more). In fact, the most mature and interesting individuals (both scribes and doctors) are the ones that took gap years or were completely non-traditional.

I plan to take a gap year next year too and work as a scribe as well. If I get the position, how do you think I should address it in my application? Should I put it under clinical experience and say that I will work for a year?

I took a few gap years to do full time research and loved every minute of it. My resume got several impressive lines as a result of my work, I took a great vacation from organized academics such that I am ready and eager to jump back in, and I've had time to enjoy a few years in Boston as a 20-something. I also picked up an art skill :)

how hard is it to get a research position for 1-2 years and when/how should one apply?

I plan to take a gap year next year too and work as a scribe as well. If I get the position, how do you think I should address it in my application? Should I put it under clinical experience and say that I will work for a year?

yeah you can list future activities on amcas. any reason you decided to scribe?

My horrible 1st semester of college meant I needed the full four years to beef up my app. I also wanted to study for the MCAT for a full summer after my junior year. Got a cool internship doing research on medication adherence in HIV patients my senior year. Spent the summer after graduation working at an awesome summer camp designed for kids with special health needs. Spent my gap year working as a lab manager in a social psychology lab at school. Got into an IS med school. I just completed an epic six week cross country road trip with a friend, using the money I made working as a lab manager.

Basically, my gap year has been the best year of my life. I've grown as a person, had so many amazing experiences, and feel fully re-energized to begin medical school. Gap years are definitely a positive for your app and your general well-being. Highly recommend it to all.

Yes. It counts as "paid work/job - medical/clinical" or whatever the AMCAS experience type says. I said "This is when I start. These will be my weekly hours (40). Here's a brief description of my responsibilities."

Everyone's different, but I rather work/have a family and life earlier than a year of doing some almost minimum wage job, stressing about whether or not I'll get into medical school.

I just submitted my AMCAS today for the first time today. Feels good.

I graduated from my undergraduate institution in 2008. If you don't believe me check my join date. That means I took 6+ gap years.

In that time I've held many jobs, obtained a Master's degree, started my own business, traveled/volunteered, and just lived life. I did decent on the MCAT because I made sure I took it when I was maximally prepared. I also saved money over the years so I could apply to many schools to increase my chances. I don't regret taking time off at all. I was at an open house recently and the dean of admissions said it's better to apply when you have all your ducks in the row. Every school is different but I agree with him on that statement.

Best thing you can do is stop worrying about what other people think and do the best YOU can for yourself. Their opinion of you doesn't matter, only your opinion of you matters.

how hard is it to get a research position for 1-2 years and when/how should one apply?

In my experience, it is very difficult to get a meaningful research position for a single year. My lab does not take on any employees who will not commit to at least 2 full years - that's pretty much the norm.

Although I wasn't so happy with the lack of flexibility when I started, I have come to recognize how useless a single year would be to a new member. First, you spend several months getting competent at the techniques and getting familiar with the literature. This training process leaves only 1/2 to 3/4 of a year for science and in most fields this is not enough time to put together a meaningful independent project. Even after you submit your paper, there are still a good 4-8 months between you and publication since few papers are accepted without any response to reviewer comments. If you are traveling every couple of weeks for interviews, the year is even more useless.

In general, getting a research position is both easy and impossible. Going in cold by submitting applications rarely works....only for the very fortunate. The fact is that every tech/research assistant in my department was hired as a result of networking - the job posting never went public. Networking happens, typically, through the professors you know through school. If you can find someone in your department (or any department) to recommend you, you application is taken light-years more seriously than some Joe off the street. If you know someone who has friends in the area who is willing to go to bat for you, it is very trivial to find a position. Does your school have an alum network? Sometimes the easiest way to find a job is to take over from someone who is on their way out and secure the position before it's actually "open"

The other way in is by finding your own funding. My institution offers grants and fellowships to graduating seniors and alumnae to pursue all kinds of work. If you can bring your own funding to the table, most opportunities will become open with minimal networking.

The best first impression email to a PI is a specific interest in their field of study, a sentence showing that you at least skimmed their latest research, a one page resume, and a clear outline of why their lab is a good fit for your goals. It helps if you can also outline the kind of commitment you are looking to make. Some labs are looking for a straight up tech who will make their lives easier. If you aren't gunning for a publication and would like to work in a research setting, it's useful to be upfront about your willingness to do that :)

To find a research position in the Fall, you should start looking in the Spring. One of the easiest things you can do is try and get a summer stipend for that last summer you are still a "student" for application purposes with the goal of starting full time work after the summer session. If you can be paid by someone to train in a lab for 2-3 months, they are much more eager about trying you out and then hiring you after you impress them.

Last edited:
In my experience, it is very difficult to get a meaningful research position for a single year. My lab does not take on any employees who will not commit to at least 2 full years - that's pretty much the norm.

Although I wasn't so happy with the lack of flexibility when I started, I have come to recognize how useless a single year would be to a new member. First, you spend several months getting competent at the techniques and getting familiar with the literature. This training process leaves only 1/2 to 3/4 of a year for science and in most fields this is not enough time to put together a meaningful independent project. Even after you submit your paper, there are still a good 4-8 months between you and publication since few papers are accepted without any response to reviewer comments. If you are traveling every couple of weeks for interviews, the year is even more useless.

In general, getting a research position is both easy and impossible. Going in cold by submitting applications rarely works....only for the very fortunate. The fact is that every tech/research assistant in my department was hired as a result of networking - the job posting never went public. Networking happens, typically, through the professors you know through school. If you can find someone in your department (or any department) to recommend you, you application is taken light-years more seriously than some Joe off the street. If you know someone who has friends in the area who is willing to go to bat for you, it is very trivial to find a position. Does your school have an alum network? Sometimes the easiest way to find a job is to take over from someone who is on their way out and secure the position before it's actually "open"

The other way in is by finding your own funding. My institution offers grants and fellowships to graduating seniors and alumnae to pursue all kinds of work. If you can bring your own funding to the table, most opportunities will become open with minimal networking.

The best first impression email to a PI is a specific interest in their field of study, a sentence showing that you at least skimmed their latest research, a one page resume, and a clear outline of why their lab is a good fit for your goals. It helps if you can also outline the kind of commitment you are looking to make. Some labs are looking for a straight up tech who will make their lives easier. If you aren't gunning for a publication and would like to work in a research setting, it's useful to be upfront about your willingness to do that :)

To find a research position in the Fall, you should start looking in the Spring. One of the easiest things you can do is try and get a summer stipend for that last summer you are still a "student" for application purposes with the goal of starting full time work after the summer session. If you can be paid by someone to train in a lab for 2-3 months, they are much more eager about trying you out and then hiring you after you impress them.

Thanks for the response. What about the pay you receive? It seems as if a lot of people do "research" during their gap year but is it full time and paid or is it just on the volunteer bases. Im going to be low on cash during the gap year so money is pretty necessary.

Thanks for the response. What about the pay you receive? It seems as if a lot of people do "research" during their gap year but is it full time and paid or is it just on the volunteer bases. Im going to be low on cash during the gap year so money is pretty necessary.

I was talking about a paid, full time, position. Getting a volunteering position is a piece of cake, you just need to make it clear you want to volunteer and seem like a generally pleasant and competent human. The hard part is getting a chunk of someone's grant!

Most out-of-college research assistant and tech positions pay somewhere between $28k-38k, with the amount depending on location (cost of living) more than anything else. I get paid enough that I don't have to budget if I don't want to and I don't have to think about whether my account will have enough money day to day. I had enough to, with some planning, pay for my medical school application cycle (though I had to stop submitting secondaries for a few weeks because I ran out :(). ~$32k isn't really enough to "save" money when you have expenses like student loans and application fees....I don't know what your financial goals are.

I took one because I took the MCAT late and graduated in December. I worked a non-medical job to make some money. The job really sucked but the money was nice.

I graduated as a physics major. Although, I have pretty good relationships with my professors, they can't really direct me to anything related to Biology or Medicine. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances as an applicant? I applied to a couple positions at VMU and wanted to call in and let them know that I have the necessary qualifications, but the application was online and didn't have any contacts available. I only time I ever heard from them was after they had filled the spot...

Do you think physics research during my gap year would be considered of equal value to Biology/Medicine research for adcoms?

Finally, what types of clinical work have people who have successfully been accepted to med school after gap years done? I can even make a list for other students. So far on this thread, we have:

Medical Assistant
ER Scribe

I don't think adcoms care about the topic of your research, intellectual engagement is much more interesting and useful. As far as marketable skills, can you code? C? Matlab? Python? Competent programmers are invaluable to labs. If you are at all interested in electrophysiology or fMRI, there is a ton of interesting computational work to be done :)

At least half my class took one or more gap years. It absolutely won't be viewed negatively if you're doing something productive.

I took 2 years and don't regret it a bit.
What did you do for two years? I think it would be sweet to become a Ski Bum/Photographer for a year or so and just travel a bunch.

Wow, I didn't realize taking a gap year was this common......do any of you guys think it is perhaps more common now than it used to be? I mean, haven't the requirements to get accepted become more rigorous over the years, thus setting people back a little bit in terms of applying?

Gap year just starting and I'm so pumped about it. Couldn't imagine starting school next month... Will be working in a lab full time and some volunteering

Wow, I didn't realize taking a gap year was this common......do any of you guys think it is perhaps more common now than it used to be? I mean, haven't the requirements to get accepted become more rigorous over the years, thus setting people back a little bit in terms of applying?

The app process not being "all about the numbers" probably has something to do with it. Taking a gap year(s) might be more common than not... I'm pretty sure the average starting age is 23/24

What did you do for two years? I think it would be sweet to become a Ski Bum/Photographer for a year or so and just travel a bunch.

I did bench research, volunteered, and a ton of hiking in my free time. I also took the MCAT at the beginning of this time.

I did bench research, volunteered, and a ton of hiking in my free time. I also took the MCAT at the beginning of this time.
So did you end up getting a pretty good score? Seems like it would be nice to not have to worry about other school obligations and just solely focus on preparing for the MCAT.

So did you end up getting a pretty good score? Seems like it would be nice to not have to worry about other school obligations and just solely focus on preparing for the MCAT.

I also retook my MCAT.

Found out my first score at the end of April, graduated at the beginning of May, started studying after graduation, retook at the beginning of June. Not having to worry about school while studying was nice for sure.