Gap Year Plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgitsbre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused about if I should apply for a master's program while improving on my clinical experience before I apply to medical school. I currently have a 3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA. I have some extracurricular experience as well. Should I apply to a Master's in Biomedical Sciences at a college like PCOM or NYMC to show that I can handle upper-level science courses? My other option is becoming a pharmacy technician or scribe while volunteering during the free time I have.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a bit confused about if I should apply for a master's program while improving on my clinical experience before I apply to medical school. I currently have a 3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA. I have some extracurricular experience as well. Should I apply to a Master's in Biomedical Sciences at a college like PCOM or NYMC to show that I can handle upper-level science courses? My other option is becoming a pharmacy technician or scribe while volunteering during the free time I have.
Applying MD or DO? With that GPA, you might want to do some post bacc. work

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably consider doing a post bacc since you have a low gpa. Successful completion of a post bacc will increase your GPA and an upward trend is a plus.

Want any chance at an MD school? Go post-bacc. You need the GPA boost.
definitely. OP, what's your MCAT like? It might be worth redoing that in addition to a post bacc to improve your stats

I took the MCAT twice, and got a 27 both times.

Thank you! I am looking at post-baccs in the NY/NJ area. Any suggestions? I am considering NYMC, Rutgers, and maybe BU.

Thank you! I am looking at post-baccs in the NY/NJ area. Any suggestions? I am considering NYMC, Rutgers, and maybe BU.
Columbia, NYU, Fordham, CUNY City, SUNY Stony Brook, etc. etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Would a post-bac add to my undergrad GPA or show up as a graduate GPA when I apply?

Would a post-bac add to my undergrad GPA or show up as a graduate GPA when I apply?
Would be graduate GPA. AMCAS classifies years by semester hours. 30 for freshmen, 60 for sophomores, etc.