Gap year question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into my senior year and will be looking for a part-time job that I can turn into a full-time job during my gap year. When I'm applying, should I tell them that I plan on applying to medical school during the year that I'll be working full time? Would most people be ok with that? I can see how they'd be reluctant to hire someone who's only gonna be there for 1 year part time and 1 year full time.. And if I don't mention it during the interview, it will definitely come up when I ask for vacation days for interviews.

(I'm waiting to hear back from 2 scribe companies, but will also apply to other clinical jobs. I'll preferably find work in a private office. Not really looking for research positions)

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply to scribe companies, they will be 100% understanding that you're moving on to medical school. My old scribe job had 1/2 its employees leave this fall, and that happens every year.

Other clinical jobs won't be as understanding, is my guess. Don't lie, but when they ask you where you'll be in 10 years or whatever just say "in a professional position that I am personally fulfilled in" or some shi*.

If you apply to scribe companies, they will be 100% understanding that you're moving on to medical school. My old scribe job had 1/2 its employees leave this fall, and that happens every year.

Other clinical jobs won't be as understanding, is my guess. Don't lie, but when they ask you where you'll be in 10 years or whatever just say "in a professional position that I am personally fulfilled in" or some shi*.
Right, I don't plan on lying. If they ask where I wanna be in a few years, and I say med school, they'll probably figure out that I'll be applying pretty soon

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, be honest about your plans. You will most likely know the minimum time commitment based on the job posting, and at the interview stage.