Gap year(s)? What to do during them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeSill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Definitely taking a gap year but not sure if it will be more than one year because medical school is so competitive. What to do during the gap year? Thinking about doing this internship in the summer for a chance to get a better paying job when I graduate. Medical scribe, research, and emt pay is kinda low right? Do people get jobs with good pay in their gap year(s) or just do Medical scribe, research, or emt or combination of both?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely taking a gap year but not sure if it will be more than one year because medical school is so competitive. What to do during the gap year? Thinking about doing this internship in the summer for a chance to get a better paying job when I graduate. Medical scribe, research, and emt pay is kinda low right? Do people get real jobs in their gap year(s) or just do Medical scribe, research, or emt or combination of both?

Implying EMS isn't a real job..
>_>

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a scribe, then scribe trainer, and now a chief scribe. Did it for the clinical experience, and leadership opportunities. Pay sucks, no denying it, but it beefed up the 2 areas I was weak in. Depends on your whole package. Use your gap year to plug the holes in your application, study for the MCAT.

My strong advice for application process: Do it once, do it right. Make sure you cover these main areas for ECs: Research, Clinical Exposure, Volunteer, and Leadership. Trying to cram all that into 1 gap year won't work, really need to show long term commitment to these things. Good luck to you.

It depends, where is the largest deficiency in your app? If you lack clinical experience, EMS/scribe is the way to go. If you need research, do research. If you have GPA/MCAT issues do a postbacc or retake the MCAT.

Edit: Theres no good job for a gap year that pays well. Research will pay around 25, if EMT is 32 thats pretty good. The best jobs monetarily speaking are in either healthcare consulting (like Triage Consulting) or stuff like Epic. I've seen people in those areas push upwards of 70k

It depends, where is the largest deficiency in your app? If you lack clinical experience, EMS/scribe is the way to go. If you need research, do research. If you have GPA/MCAT issues do a postbacc or retake the MCAT.

Edit: Theres no good job for a gap year that pays well. Research will pay around 25, if EMT is 32 thats pretty good. The best jobs monetarily speaking are in either healthcare consulting (like Triage Consulting) or stuff like Epic. I've seen people in those areas push upwards of 70k
Largest deficit is ECs in generally. I need to research and get some clinical experience. I was thinking along the lines of getting a job elsewhere, ex financial advisor that pays like $50k and doing the other ECs part time.

Largest deficit is ECs in generally. I need to research and get some clinical experience. I was thinking along the lines of getting a job elsewhere, ex financial advisor that pays like $50k and doing the other ECs part time.
THe good thing about ED scribing is that it is a 24/7/365 operation. I have a colleague who holds fulltime job, and does scribing on nights/weekends/holidays. It is doable that way.