Gap Year Suggestion....master? work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrongperson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am another fail applicant of class 2008 (MD). I am wondering if I should do a master over the gap year, or perhaps SMP. I have solid undergrad GPA 3.6~3.7 and am not doing this to boost my undergrad GPA. My MCAT is 33 with verbal score of 8. (low, but im a fob) Should I do a master or something else? Is the credential of master helpful to the career of being a doctor?

If I am not doing a master, I would have to find a job, either in biotech company or perhaps get a license in EMT. I have 2.5 years of research experience as well as some clinical experience (not as much).

Any advice would be nice, thanks!.

Members don't see this ad.

From your post, your gpa is not bad, it's average for incoming MD. Doing a SMP are meant for those who need to improve their gpa. Unless you need strong LOR from science faculty members, I wouldn't do a master's program. Your mcat is also slightly above average, except for that 8. Many school do screen out 8's or below.
Find out why you were not accepted in this round and work on that. Did you have enough clinical experience to convince them that you wanted to have a medically oriented career? Did you apply late and narrowly? Which job do you think will convince adcoms that you're interested in medicine: Biotech firm or EMT (with patient contact, not just get the license)?

You should call the med school and ask them why you were rejected. Did you apply to too many reach schools but not enough "safe" schools? Did you apply too late?

For my year off I worked in clinical research, it kind of takes care of the clinical experience and research experience in one swoop. So you might consider that. I also got EMT certified but never worked as an EMT.

With your scores you probably should have gotten in SOMEWHERE (maybe not top or anything) if you had decent LOR and some EC. Are you published for your research?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I am another fail applicant of class 2008 (MD). I am wondering if I should do a master over the gap year, or perhaps SMP. I have solid undergrad GPA 3.6~3.7 and am not doing this to boost my undergrad GPA. My MCAT is 33 with verbal score of 8. (low, but im a fob) Should I do a master or something else? Is the credential of master helpful to the career of being a doctor?

If I am not doing a master, I would have to find a job, either in biotech company or perhaps get a license in EMT. I have 2.5 years of research experience as well as some clinical experience (not as much).

Note the OP said he/she is a FOB so higher MCAT scores are defintely needed. I say get a Masters while preparing for the MCAT once again...

Besides the CA schools, did you apply widely elsewhere?

Nice to see a fellow UCSD grad here!

On my year off I did (and am finishing) a degree in religious studies/english minor. Lets say my interviewer was very interested in why I did it.

feel really dumb asking this but what's an FOB?

feel really dumb asking this but what's an FOB?

Fresh off the boat

i.e. new immigrant

that or fecal occult blood

I hope not the latter :laugh: