Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dejablue10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am in need of some advice.

I am currently a junior in undergrad; therefore, theoretically, I would start applying for opt. school this summer to begin opt. school in the fall of 2016. However, I am going back and forth about whether I should take a gap year or not. Of course it'd be ideal to just jump right into applying and start school as soon as I graduate, but I'm not 100% set on that. A part of me wants to take a year off to work at an opt. office and continue with shadowing and volunteer to further build up my resume. Additionally, I've been going to school every semester, including every summer in between, so I feel like I could use that gap year to unwind and prepare for opt. school mentally and regain some energy.

Is there anyone who has taken a gap year, or two, that could provide me with their input? Or maybe someone who has considered it but has decided to just apply to opt. school right after undergrad. If you take a gap year do schools look at that as a bad thing? For example, do they see that as you waiting last minute to build up your application, and, therefore, you seem lazy or something long those lines? I'm really struggling with deciding, so I would really appreciate some input.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I took a gap year only because I wanted to have time to dedicate myself full force to studying for the oat and at first I was super hesitant to take a year off I really didn't want to get out of the loop or be an extra year late but honestly I'm completely fine with it now. I studied the summer after I graduated for the o a t and it paid off im glad I spent that much time preparing. Honestly I think it's for the better and I feel so good I get to relax because the o a t takes a lot out of you. You should definitely consider it and if you have any more questions feel free to message me

I took a gap year and I am definitely glad I did. It not only helped me build up my resume, but it really helped me appreciate the idea of a full time job. Also, like CollSmith said, it was really helpful for studying for the OAT, because even if you're working full time, you aren't trying to jam all that information in along with info for your classes. It sounds to me like you are wanting to take a gap year for all the right reasons! I would suggest looking into AmeriCorps as an option. You sign up for 11 months of service, and get about $5,000 to pay for current or future student loan debt. They have many different types of service, including some in the public health field, which could be a great addition to your resume. AmeriCorps service terms usually begin around August, so you would have time after graduation to put in a few solid months of studying without having to worry about work.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took two gap years, and I would definitely recommend it! As long as you aren't spending your time sitting on your couch, I think schools will really appreciate that you took the time to work in the field and gain some maturity/independence outside of college. I spent my two years backpacking through southeast Asia and then working as a technician. I have zero regrets. I got to travel before taking out my optometry loans (and it was a great experience to talk about during my interviews as well as with my patients in general) plus I have learned so much as a technician that it will hopefully make a dent in the material I will be learning next year in school. My only advice is take the OAT while you are still in school or shortly afterwards while the material is still fresh!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I am in need of some advice.

I am currently a junior in undergrad; therefore, theoretically, I would start applying for opt. school this summer to begin opt. school in the fall of 2016. However, I am going back and forth about whether I should take a gap year or not. Of course it'd be ideal to just jump right into applying and start school as soon as I graduate, but I'm not 100% set on that. A part of me wants to take a year off to work at an opt. office and continue with shadowing and volunteer to further build up my resume. Additionally, I've been going to school every semester, including every summer in between, so I feel like I could use that gap year to unwind and prepare for opt. school mentally and regain some energy.

Is there anyone who has taken a gap year, or two, that could provide me with their input? Or maybe someone who has considered it but has decided to just apply to opt. school right after undergrad. If you take a gap year do schools look at that as a bad thing? For example, do they see that as you waiting last minute to build up your application, and, therefore, you seem lazy or something long those lines? I'm really struggling with deciding, so I would really appreciate some input.

Thank you in advance!

I'm applying for Fall 2016 and graduated with my BS in Spring 2013. So guess you could say I am doing 2-3 years in between! I'm currently doing my M.S. and working full-time in Biotech (as a I shadow, volunteer, do PPAC (evaluation committee letter), etc..). Always wanted to do Optometry, but just didn't feel like I was ready right out of undergrad to jump into professional school. I really think the time off has given me the ability to mature and experience reality, as well as find specific interests in my grad program and job that I can connect in an Optometry career. I think the time off has really solidified my passion for wanting to become an OD. Wouldn't trade this time off for anything, I really think it was one of the best decisions I have made! Now, I just hope to get in! :)