Gastroenterologists want to take hospital biopsies to their in office labs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Staff have been known to destroy such hospital property by way of dragon problems, hahahaha

Oh, inoffice hoarding & billing & splitting for pathologists professional fee by anyone & their mom aunt dog are all ok, apparently, the brightest/ top 1% of medicine truly run this field

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The gross room is a pain. We have Voicebrook, which comes with prebuilt templates, which none of us use (we don't have a PA at our campus either). What others have done is built their own templates in Dragon/Voicebrook and used them for dictation. But the lag time is quite annoying (which again, could be our connectivity/hardware issues), and you have to dictate and see the screen to make sure it's correct. We also have this issue that it continues to type our voice even when its off (again, could be our installation is faulty). Definitely slows me down. I actually write down my measurements in shorthand, and type them up using my own templates and get done waay faster than my colleagues who use voice dictation at the grossing bench.

Caffeinegirl,
You said in one of your previous posts that grossing is a total pain. We are very concerned with trying to use dragon while grossing. Several colleagues are afraid they may cut themselves while trying to look at a computer screen. To get it to work in the gross room, we feel that we will have to use templates and just plug in a few variables. Is this your experience? The way we do it now is that each pathologist dictates differently. We have some that are verbose and some that are succinct. But, we all dictate differently. I just don't know if we will be able to stand in the gross room dictating like we do now when we have dragon. We don't have PA's.

We are an independent group which contracts with the hospital. According to my partner, our contract states that we have exclusivity to perform pathology on the specimens taken here. The GI group has been running an in office lab at their practice for many years. There is a surgery center here in town where all the biopsies that the gastroenterologists performed go to their in office lab and are processed and looked at by a pathologist that the GI group employs. As far as I know, the GI group doesn't have any problems with us. We feel this is soley related to the recent changes in the technical fee reduction and now they are looking for ways to recoup their loss. The administrators want to "keep the peace" i.e. the gastroenterologists are saying they will take cases to the surgery center and to other facilities.
Any updates on how this worked out?