GED affect on chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to post a thread about a particular issue I have.

I received a GED due to being caught with weed in HS. Subsequently I was not allowed to graduate and I got my GED.

I went to community college and then transferred to a 4 year university and have done well. No criminal history or IA on records.

1) Fortunately I was never charged or reported and it remained an internal matter within the school. If asked what should I say? I want to remain vague and not mention the weed if possible but not sure how to do this.

2) Will getting a GED hurt my chances of going to medical school?

3) If one searches my name there are actual posts from my HS's page and I played sports in HS so there's that too. Are they allowed to call up my HS to get details about why I got a GED? I imagine this is some kind of FERPA violation but I'm not sure? I ask because I want to be honest and vague and worry about them calling my HS to confirm - would hate to get in trouble for leaving "details" out during an interview or whatever.

Please don't quote.

Would the adcoms be able to chime in? @Med Ed @LizzyM @gyngyn @DokterMom

Members don't see this ad.

I think the norm for adcoms is to take into account your college history not high school. As long as you did well on your undergrad you should be good!

The only instance I could imagine where a GED would come into play is if you're applying to a BS/MD program.