GED and pre med

SxpeRare

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone , I am a US permenant resident and want to move there next year, but got couple of problems, first is that next year I am going to be in 12th grade and I don't have a high school diploma because I moved each year to another country through high school.. My dream is to be a doctor or a podiatrist (80% of my family are doctors so I am completely serious). I cant attend my senior year in high school in the US because its too late, so I need to get a GED at a community college. I did a research about it, and it says that it's almost impossible to get accepted to pre med or even a 4 year college with a GED. What is your opinion about my situation? I got no counsler and all my family who are doctors studied abroad but I want to study in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

No one cares about your ged. Med schools only care about your performance in college. If you want you can explain the ged on secondaries if there is space.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP seems to be more concerned about getting into undergrad with GED qualifications rather than med school. To answer the question, it is possible.

Thank you everybody for your answers. Also can I major anything as long as I take the prerequisites for med school? And what do you think about going to community college for 2 years and then transfer to a 4 year college and complete the other two years there (if I won't make it to any 4 year college) is majoring radiation therapy a bad idea? (In case I won't get to med school I will still have a career) and I don't want to be a doctor because of my family.... Believe me in my country doctors earn 10 $ an hour while computer programmers earn 25$+ .. So I would rather be a computer programmer not a doctor..

what do you think about going to community college for 2 years and then transfer to a 4 year college and complete the other two years there (if I won't make it to any 4 year college)

I don't want to be a doctor because of my family.... Believe me in my country doctors earn 10 $ an hour while computer programmers earn 25$+ .. So I would rather be a computer programmer not a doctor..
Many successful med school applicants attend community college and transfer to a 4-year. Be sure you get a solid grounding in the basics, taking any remedial classes that placement testing suggests would be in your best interests, considering your education has been all over the place. Take it slow at first, as all college grades earned impact your med school application GPA.

Why not be a computer programmer? Or at least major in computer science and take med school prerequisites besides?

Also can I major anything as long as I take the prerequisites for med school?.
You can major in anything you like, but don't make the mistake of taking the watered down version of the sciences that many pre-health majors are required to take. You need the most rigorous Bio, Chem, & Physics that your CC has to offer to have a chance of doing well on the MCAT.

Why not be a computer programmer? Or at least major in computer science and take med school prerequisites besides?

Well I guess pre med prepares you better for the MCAT and makes you stronger candidate for med school , I am really confused about this, in my country there is no way you can go to medical school if you didn't major biology/chemistry and etc.. (We don't have pre med here) and it says something different in every site I look

You can major in anything you want as a long as you like it and can excel at it while doing other things like pre-reqs, volunteering, shadowing, research etc. Having a second plan is always a good idea but it is important to have a staunch faith and belief in your original plan. From your post you seem to have a wavering mind. Make up your mind. If medicine is your true calling then go in guns and blazes without having any second thoughts. You need to believe in yourself first. An unshakable belief will be your best friend during the times of adversity.
A quick word about community college. If you have to take some remedial classes, especially for math, science or even english, take them inspite of the fact that they don't count towards your credits. They will result in a strong foundation for future classes. Yes! you can transfer from community college to a four year school. Even if you change states, if you have a CC degree, you can always transfer to a four year school.

This is what I wanted to do, but when I asked in another forum I have been told not to do so because med schools consider community college a red flag and especially doing an allied health profession ( redaction therapy)