Gems Program in Georgetown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oncologist911

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know there are posts about GEMS already but none of them seem to answer my questions. What exactly is GEMS and who is it for? I emailed them and they never got back to me. I also called, they connected me to a specific person, not a department, and I left a message and no call back. It's a chance for Disadvantaged Premeds to become Doctors yes?

Is someone from a low socioeconomic household eligble for the GEMS program? Do you know what the credentials in the program are necessary to be admitted into their medical school? Also, is someone with a low GPA but a high MCAT eligible. Because according to their stats they are looking for premeds with both low gpa and MCAT scores, so I assume they won't accept someone who did well on the MCAT? Has anyone here actually been accepted to GEMS and went to medical school? Also are there are programs like GEMS? Thank you guys for your time.

Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I know there are posts about GEMS already but none of them seem to answer my questions. What exactly is GEMS and who is it for? I emailed them and they never got back to me. I also called, they connected me to a specific person, not a department, and I left a message and no call back. It's a chance for Disadvantaged Premeds to become Doctors yes?

Is someone from a low socioeconomic household eligble for the GEMS program? Do you know what the credentials in the program are necessary to be admitted into their medical school? Also, is someone with a low GPA but a high MCAT eligible. Because according to their stats they are looking for premeds with both low gpa and MCAT scores, so I assume they won't accept someone who did well on the MCAT? Has anyone here actually been accepted to GEMS and went to medical school? Also are there are programs like GEMS? Thank you guys for your time.

Much appreciated.

Most if not all of the answers relating to the GEMS program are found directly on the programs website and theres a zillion forums here on sdn with a ton of information. The rest I feel like...well for example, I don't think the program will discount you for having a high GPA especially if you fit the criteria. The program is for disadvantaged applicants yes, this is something they seemed to stress and was also mentioned on the webpage. I know the application closes in a few days, did you apply?