Gen Chem 1 Lab online? Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeanine B

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am finishing up my pre-reqs to attend Regis University next fall. As long as I get the rest of my pre-reqs done, I'm in. My only problem is, when I took general chemistry 1 back in college, the class did not come with a lab for some reason. My general chemistry 2 class had the lab included, but gen chem 1 did not.. who knows. Anyways, I cannot find general chemistry 1 lab offered anywhere in my area by itself and I really do not want to take the entire class over just because I am missing the lab. I have heard of one school that offers general chemistry 1 lab online, but its about $1300 for 1 credit.. which is ridiculous (in my opinion). Does anyone have any suggestions where I could find general chemistry 1 lab online? Help!!

Members don't see this ad.

A lab online? That's the silliest thing I've heard. I'd be careful because the majority of pharmacy schools will not accecpt an online lab course. A lot actually look down on any type of online core science class. Can you just take it at a local CC or state college?

I know it sounds ridiculous but a different pharmacy school actually suggested the online lab to me (the $1300 one). I would take it locally but the lab is not offered anywhere by itself. I really just don't want to have to take general chemistry over again just because I am missing the lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it sounds ridiculous but a different pharmacy school actually suggested the online lab to me (the $1300 one). I would take it locally but the lab is not offered anywhere by itself. I really just don't want to have to take general chemistry over again just because I am missing the lab.
They won't let you take the lab?

Either way it sounds like it would be cheaper just to take them both over.

Talk to admissions and tell them your situation at the CC. They might make an exception.

They will not let me take the lab without the lecture. If I have to, I will retake the entire General Chemistry 1 class (lecture and lab), but I would just rather not haha obviously.

They will not let me take the lab without the lecture. If I have to, I will retake the entire General Chemistry 1 class (lecture and lab), but I would just rather not haha obviously.

Well yea that sounds like the cheaper option.

Maybe you could register for both then drop the lecture. Idk of admissions would contact you though.

I agree with Jibby321 I'd just take the lecture and the lab together at the CC it's just one class, and if you've taken it already it will be an easy review. If you talk to the head of the science department at the CC they may be able to make an exception for you if all you want to take is the Lab. I've had to do something similar in order to take classes I didn't have pre-reqs for and they are usually accommodating if you explain your situation. On a side note I’ve never taken an on-line lab but I think the school I graduated from offered them – The University of Maine Augusta.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Jibby321 I'd just take the lecture and the lab together at the CC it's just one class, and if you've taken it already it will be an easy review. If you talk to the head of the science department at the CC they may be able to make an exception for you if all you want to take is the Lab. I've had to do something similar in order to take classes I didn't have pre-reqs for and they are usually accommodating if you explain your situation. On a side note I’ve never taken an on-line lab but I think the school I graduated from offered them – The University of Maine Augusta.

exactly what I want to say

Does your university accept online lab credits? I know that some pharmacy schools will not accept online coursework for pre-requisite courses.

Are you sure that the chemistry lab you took during your chem 2 semester wasn't the laboratory component for both? Some schools have it set up like that.

So I am finishing up my pre-reqs to attend Regis University next fall. As long as I get the rest of my pre-reqs done, I'm in. My only problem is, when I took general chemistry 1 back in college, the class did not come with a lab for some reason. My general chemistry 2 class had the lab included, but gen chem 1 did not.. who knows. Anyways, I cannot find general chemistry 1 lab offered anywhere in my area by itself and I really do not want to take the entire class over just because I am missing the lab. I have heard of one school that offers general chemistry 1 lab online, but its about $1300 for 1 credit.. which is ridiculous (in my opinion). Does anyone have any suggestions where I could find general chemistry 1 lab online? Help!!

I would take the lecture+lab at the same time again ( 5 crs) at a community college in the city ( like St. Louis CC) for less cost. If you are accepted already, then you jut need C+/B- which is pretty easy to get... Did you contact UMSL and STLCC if they offer lab only?