Gen Chem 1 Retake Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inhumanbean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman, and I just retook gen chem 1 after earning a D+ in it during my first semester (due to lack of maturity, not lack of capability). It's the week before second semester finals and it looks like I'm escaping that class with a B+. How bad does it look that I didn't get an A/A- even after retaking?

And would a B/B+ be considered acceptable for a retake as long as I do well right away in gen chem 2 and in future upper level courses?

Members don't see this ad.

1.3 + 3.3 = 4.6 / 2 = 2.3 which is a C+.

Move on, don't retake, do well in everything else.

Reactions: 1 user
well, it doesn't look good, but what are you going to do about it?

just do better in future classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I figured. Thank you for your replies.

I know this is pretty optimistic, but there's a chance I can raise it to an A- with the final (worth 22% of my grade). Is the difference between a B+ and an A- that significant? I'll obviously keep studying and try for the A regardless, but I'm curious and I need some hope...

I know this is pretty optimistic, but there's a chance I can raise it to an A- with the final (worth 22% of my grade). Is the difference between a B+ and an A- that significant? I'll obviously keep studying and try for the A regardless, but I'm curious and I need some hope...
Numerically, not so much. Impact-wise on an adcomm looking at your transcript, yes. An A on the first round with Chem II, even better, and tells the story that you've successfully adjusted your learning style to accomodate the faster pace of learning at the college level.

I figured. Thank you for your replies.

Does your school distinguish between +/- for final grades?

Yes, that's a big difference. Yes, it's problematic if you can't get an A your second time through the class. Yes, your application is in trouble if you don't do well going forward. Yes, you still have a decent chance at becoming a doctor.