Gen Chem Failure ! What do I do, give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycguy1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just completed my freshman year.

I did well in Bio two A's
I'm doing research. Even won a statewide award.

HOWEVER. I got 2 C's in Gen Chem. I am reallly worried! Is it over?
Please be honest! Is there anything I can do to salvage my chances? Perhaps take a course over the summer? Or should I just move forward? I'M IN NEED OF ADVICE!

I'm just reallllly worried and stressed that my dream of being a doctor is over as a result of Gen Chem 1 and 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Your first step is to.....relax. Two Cs aren't going to kill your chances if the rest of your app is solid. Figure out what you did wrong in Gen Chem and try to learn from it so that you won't get any more Cs.

You are only a freshman. You have plenty of time and you can still be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
You're fine. Just find out why you got C's and change up your study habits. An upward trend is appreciated by med schools. Congratulations on the A's in bio and the statewide award!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine. Just find out why you got C's and change up your study habits. An upward trend is appreciated by med schools. Congratulations on the A's in bio and the statewide award!
Thanks for the advice!!!!

Your first step is to.....relax. Two Cs aren't going to kill your chances if the rest of your app is solid. Figure out what you did wrong in Gen Chem and try to learn from it so that you won't get any more Cs.

You are only a freshman. You have plenty of time and you can still be a doctor.
Thanks for the advice!!!!

It's not a problem-especially since you got C's and not F's. I failed gen chem 2, because quite honestly I just hated it and didn't understand the material. I understood ochem way more, but I think part of it was the fear of failing chemistry again. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with others. Relax. 2 Cs aren't going to kill your chances if you move forward and ace other classes. Figure out what went wrong in Gen Chem and fix it so you do well in OChem. It's good that you are concerned this early, showing that you really value your academics and have a strong desire to become a physician. You still have a bunch more science prereqs to bring up that sGPA and a bunch more classes to boost the cGPA. Adjust your study habits and continue to work hard!

Just completed my freshman year.

I did well in Bio two A's
I'm doing research. Even won a statewide award.

HOWEVER. I got 2 C's in Gen Chem. I am reallly worried! Is it over?
Please be honest! Is there anything I can do to salvage my chances? Perhaps take a course over the summer? Or should I just move forward? I'M IN NEED OF ADVICE!

I'm just reallllly worried and stressed that my dream of being a doctor is over as a result of Gen Chem 1 and 2.

Its freshman year. Now you know that you're a bio guy not a chem guy ;D. Put more emphasis in your chem classes from now on, and keep doing what you're doing in your bio classes.
Remember that studying alot is not the same as studying smart! Be clutch on ochem, its possible (Ive done it, see my oldest post).

Cheers, its summer.

Yes - it's over. Don't bother trying. In fact your chances at everything is over, just drop out.

No silly, just get better grades. They don't admit based on your chem grade, it's a average GPA.

Plus being good at bio means you will probably be better at memorizing and therefore do better in med school than someone who is great at Chen but terrible at bio (ah hem - me)

Unlike the poor crack addict who turns priest- while getting A's is preferred- applicant reviewers like seeing a candidates ability to bounce back. It makes you seem more human. Of course I'm not suggesting that course if it's unavoidable. There are still multiple other ways to make yourself shine. Some of my friends had 3-4 C's total in their undergrad and weren't even asked about them because their gpa was still 3.7-3.8, mcat was 34+, ec's were good, blah, blah, blah. You get the point.